Extending A Non-o On The Basis Of Education?

สวัสดีครับ :D

I have searched around but cant find too much information and was wondering if anyone had any experience about extension of a 1 year multiple entry non-O on the basis of education (learning thai). Is this possible - and should it be extended within the validity of the visa (within the 1 year I am here) or can it be done within the stay the visa grants (the 15 months if a visa run is done on the last day of the 1 year).

Also, does this require attendance of a private school or is home tutoring from a private school acceptable?

Many thanks for any helpful replies :o

บายๆ

Edited by a1ka1ine

a1ka1ine, you are probably not aware of it, but only English is allowed on ThaiVisa except in the forum “Thai language”. I understand that the reason for this is to prevent somebody from posting something bad in a foreign language that could then get this site into trouble. To make it clear that you had no bad intention I give below an English translation/transliteration of the two Thai words you used:

สวัสดีครับ sawatdee krap (hello)

บายๆ bye

Source of translation: http://www.thai2english.com/

Regarding your visa situation: if you do not have a valid reason for an extension of your current permission to stay based on your entry on the non-O visa (eg Thai wife, Thai child) you may have to get the necessary papers from your school to get a non-ED visa from a Thai consulate and subsequently get extensions of stay every 90 days from the local immigration office.

I see no reason why private lessons should not qualify you for a non-ED visa and extensions, but best ask the school about their experience with this.

--

Maestro

I'd suggest you slog through this thread http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=147028

It's a lot of <deleted> to read through, but there are answers from macwalen from Walen School of Thai advertised here on ThaiVisa.com. As far as I know you have to sign up with a school to get the supporting documents, then leave LOS to get a Non-ED visa. Then you can extend the Non-ED up to about a year without visa runs, as long as you are continuously attending classes 4 hours a week.

GunnyD

edit: looks like I need to learn to type faster

Edited by gunnyd

I'd suggest you slog through this thread http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=147028

It's a lot of <deleted> to read through, but there are answers from macwalen from Walen School of Thai advertised here on ThaiVisa.com.

GunnyD

Oops about writing Thai here, wont happen again.

I was hoping to have a nice cosy transition without having to leave the country and get a new visa, but maybe ditching my O and getting an ED is the only way to go. Ive never been to singapore before so sounds like an excuse to try it :D Ive been looking at the thai elite visa option too but, seems more expensive than an ED visa with no free thai lessons :D (but maybe the massage girls included with elite visa can chat the whole hour they are rubbing my back :D although still only 24 a year :D)

Also considered the forming a company and work permit route, but, seems a lot of hassle for basically creating a shell company even though im not working, if it was easier I might do this option too.

Maybe I can just go back to UK and get another O but I doubt they will issue O visas for visiting friend/girlfriend back to back for many years so a longer term solution would be best :o

Additionally, I am not one of those "go to school to get a visa" ppl I am genuinely interested in learning thai and there is only so much I can get from gigs

In that Walen thread it has been mentioned that the Ministry of Education (MoE) is the obstacle to converting a tourist visa or visa-exempt entry to a non-immigrant visa at an immigration office for the purpose of getting an extension of stay for study. A MoE letter is needed, among other documents, for the application for extension and the MoE refuses it for a new student, giving only a letter addressed to a Thai consulate for the purpose of getting a non-Ed visa. Your situation is different in that you already have a non-immigrant visa and it might be worthwhile for your school to ask the MoE if in this case they would give the school the letter for you addressed to the Immigration Bureau.

If you still have some time left on your multiple-entry non-O you could start your studies while on the non-O (no law against it) and later, when you have made your last possible entry on the non-O, have your school check with the MoE about the possibility of their giving a letter addressed to immigration.

--

Maestro

In other words, one has to leave the country, right ?

I waded through a fair bit of the Walen thread. My understanding is that at present :

Language school study may be approved in 3-month intervals, with the student having to leave the country.

Walen appears to be exceptional in having students able to stay for 1 year without leaving Thailand. (There may be other schools ?).

I would like someone to confirm or deny the above, please.

It seems to me a little risky to hope for re-approval every 3 months. It would be good to know the year was covered. I am looking for a school in Chiang Mai. Any personal accounts of experiences with language schools & visas here would be welcome.

Payap U or CMU seem safer, and I'd expect better much better quality than the language schools, but are more expensive.

It's 1 trip out of LOS, get your Non-ED, attend 4 hours of classes a week, and every 90 days you go to immigration and pay 1900 baht for another 90 days x3. So it does eliminate 90 day border runs. The 90 day renewal is hinged on your school sending proof that you are taking the prescribed number of hours of school.

GunnyD