Bars Closed Today And That Weekend As Well?

Lorin

I heard from my friend that the bars will be closed today due to religions day? Unlucky me, wanted to go out..What about that weekend? I heard it can be closed too due to election or something?

Well here goes...

Bars not selling alcohol from 6 p.m. Friday until midnight Sunday. Also although not sure yet...next weekend also!!!

It's lucky that high season is so good this year otherwise some bars might feel the pinch :D

It's getting near the time where the BIB should release a list of dates where bars can open without paying extra tea money, just the normal rate of extortion :o

Is this closure true or not?

I was planning a weekend in Pattaya but if this is right I wont bother.

Bars were open last night - but lights dimmed. However, due to the bright full moon - everthing more or less normal.

Ruel no. 2 in Thailand: when there is a special day for celebration normal celebratory activities are banned. (excluding Songkran as this is classified as a celebratory cull)

One bar owner in my area said, Close Buddha day, close election day (March 1-2) not worry about early voting. That was the word given to him when the folk in brown came to collect the "security fees".

This being Thailand, your mileage may well vary.

And the bars were opened tonight with lights out and guess what? The one I was in was closed down by the police, no discussion to nothing closed!

Can anyone offer a sensible explanation for the bar closing at election times ruling? And why does the closure rule still apply at midnight when the polls close at 3PM? Or is it simply TIT?

Something to do with candidates "entertaining" the public & wanting their votes.

Why close at midnight?? Who know's??

Can anyone offer a sensible explanation for the bar closing at election times ruling? And why does the closure rule still apply at midnight when the polls close at 3PM? Or is it simply TIT?

Probably just 150 years behind the UK. Cleared out the rotten boroughs and buying of votes (directly, with cash) that long ago.

It's when politicians started to learn how to lie to the electorate continuously, instead of just bribing them.

It was pretty dead last nite, especially at Walking Street, only one place had a live band music and sold beer in "sprite cans". Only one bar was opened on soi 7 as well. That brings me grim thoughts about next weekend..:-( At least Beach road was full on gals, ended picking up few there..:-)

It was pretty dead last nite, especially at Walking Street, only one place had a live band music and sold beer in "sprite cans". Only one bar was opened on soi 7 as well. That brings me grim thoughts about next weekend..:-( At least Beach road was full on gals, ended picking up few there..:-)

Don't worry it will be only Saturday night...so you can prepare on Friday.

Picking up a few....hmmm :o

Don't worry it will be only Saturday night...so you can prepare on Friday.

Picking up a few....hmmm :o

I been driving with friend in the car, boring to go alone, so we needed a few..:-)

Advert in the local press quote: ALCOHOL SALES BAN DATES. We wish to announce that due to the Senate Elections all Alcohol sales will be banned in Bars and Restaurants during the periods from 22nd February and 23rd February and 1st and 2nd March from 18:00pm to 05:00am unquote.

And before anyone has a go about the local press etc I am only the messenger! dont shoot the messenger!

Interestingly in the same paper there is an advert for the opening party night of a new club on Soi Day & Night!! March 2nd!! That could be interesting or not!

Edited by JohnC