Can You Sing Your Country's National Anthem, Word For Word?

Jingthing

Can you sing your country's national anthem, word for word?  

154 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Usual people who live in another country and travel a lot give no second thought about a national anthem. Many see them selves as world citizens. Contrary to that view a national anthem is a symbol of nationalism.

Same for national flags and stickers. An Union Jack next to an English restaurant is understandable to attract English customers or customers, who like English restaurants.

But why put up a national flag at the entrance of a private home? Or a GB sticker on the car?

In my case its because when I make a tour upcountry its a perfect way to meet some fellow countrymen and have a chat, so I can speak my language again.

Edited by henryalleman

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The lyrics associated with, and added to the song by, the Nazis are:-

Die Fahne hoch! Die Reihen fest geschlossen!

SA marschiert mit ruhig festem Schritt.

Kameraden, die Rotfront und Reaktion erschossen,

Marschieren im Geist in unseren Reihen mit.

These lyrics were not included by Kurtgruen in his post.

Perhaps you should apologise to him as well.

Those are the words of the Horst Wessel song, not of the German national anthem.

Correct, they are from the Horst Wessell. As I said, the Nazis added them to the national anthem.

Deutschland, Deutschland über alles

Do I win a price? lol ;-)

Isn't that an ILLEGAL song these days in Germany?

If so, your prize? How about a lampshade made with the skin of exterminated Jews (if you don't have one already)?

No, the original, German and Bavarian National Anthems are not illegal. Germany only uses the 3rd verse at the Moment and has done so since the end of WW2. It has been a heavily debated issue in Germany, since reunification, with many Germans (unsucessfully) asking, that the full German national anthem be restored. (and no, I am not talking about the NAZI version, when I say full, by full, I mean the version I posted)

Your lampshade comment is totally uncalled for and offensive

One last attempt to bring enlightenment to your ignorance.

I am not ignorant. I know the same facts as you do. I just have a different perspective than you.

It is not a matter of perspective; it is a matter of fact. You stated that the song is illegal in Germany; it isn't. That is a fact, and you seem ignorant of it.

Note again: the ubber alles verses are NOT part of the current official German national anthem. Correct me if I am wrong./quote]

Amazingly, you are not wrong. But no one has disputed this; what is in dispute is your assertion that the song is illegal in Germany; which it isn't.

BTW, nice try comparing the American-Vietnam war to the third reich. There is no equivalency there./quote]Any one with a modicum of understanding will know that the comparison was between comments, not the actions of the US in Vietnam and those of the Nazis.

Kurtgruen,

He is not going to withdraw or apologise for his crass comment. Whether he is too stupid or too arrogant to do so is open to debate. What is certain is that he is a perfect example of the old adage:-

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink;

You can lead a fool to knowledge, but you can't make him think!

• 2 weeks later...

It is rather frustrating to have one's posts deliberately, negatively interpreted, so I would like to clear this up a bit.

-- I was not sure whether the uber alles verses of the German anthem were illegal or not, I learned here they are not illegal

-- There was indeed an original verse written for the 3rd Reich

-- However, ALL of the uber alles verses (and not only the specific 3rd Reich verses) are NOT part of the current official German national anthem (one would assume any German would know that and any German broadcasting them would also know they are OFFENSIVE)

-- the REASON that ALL of the uber alles verses are no longer official is because they still are associated with the 3rd Reich, NOT only the specific verses that were added by the 3rd Reich

-- ALL of the uber alles verses are still very offensive especially to groups that were victims of the holocaust.

-- Yes, I did originally make the remark about lampshades made of dead Jews if the uber alles anthem OFFENSIVELY posted here was illegal in Germany. It is not illegal. However, it is still very offensive

-- The Nazis did in real life make lampshades out of dead Jews. That is a fact. Are facts offensive? In this time of dangerous men such as the president of Iran denying the holocaust and seeking nuclear technology, is it such a bad thing to remind people who have conveniently forgotten about the facts of the history?

I apologize if some people are offended by the TRUTH of history and/or want to whitewash it, sugar coat it, or even deny it. What is more offensive, mentioning unpleasant facts to someone deliberately putting salt on old wounds, or executing the most heinous genocide in the history of mankind? And you still think I am the one who should apologize?

BTW, TODAY is Holocaust Remembrance Day.

http://history1900s.about.com/cs/holocaust/a/yomhashoah.htm

That is all.

La Chaim.

Euro 2008 TV chiefs broadcast Nazi lyrics for German anthem (Austrian Times )

TV chiefs have apologised after broadcasting the Nazi lyrics to the German national anthem during a Euro 2008 match.

Stunned viewers were asked to sing along to the war-time 'Deutschland über alles' song which has been banned for 63 years.

Bosses at Swiss station SF2 blame the outrage on researchers copying the wrong lyrics from the internet before Germany's match with Austria.

"It is beyond belief that anyone could fail to know that this would be massively offensive to everyone who heard it," said one fan.

"The last time that version was broadcast there were Panzer tanks in the streets and swastikas flying from public buildings," they added.

Not only were the lyrics broadcast on live TV but they were beamed to scores of giant telly screens in fanzones around the country.

"People couldn't believe their ears. The only people who sing this version are the neo-Nazis. It's completely illegal and very shameful for German people," said a German fan.

Thousands of viewers are understood to have called in protesting about the Nazi shocker. And angry fans in the fanzones booed and threw beer and food at the giant screens.

"They were very angry. Feelings run high at big matches and it doesn't take much to push fans over the top," said one observer.

The lyrics - which start 'Deutschland, Deutschland über alles, über alles in der Welt" ("Germany, Germany, above everything else in this world" ) - were banned at the end of World War II.

Only the third verse is now sung to avoid promoting Nazi ideals under Germany's anti-fascist laws.

Telly exc utive Gion Linder, whose department provided the lyrics, said: "This was a profound mistake and we know there is no excuse. But we deeply apologise for it. I hope such a mistake never happens again."

But station bosses have refused to sack or identify the researchers responsible.

Instead they will be sent for special lessons in the holocaust and German history.

"That is a very good idea," said Mr Linder.

Switzerland has been criticised by historians for its attitude to Nazis.

Although the country was technically neutral in World War II many Nazi party leaders stashed their stolen loot in Swiss banks and fled there after the collapse of the Third Reich.

Austrian Times

Edited by Jingthing

However, ALL of the uber alles verses (and not only the specific 3rd Reich verses) are NOT part of the current official German national anthem (one would assume any German would know that and any German broadcasting them would also know they are OFFENSIVE)

Correction, there was the one verse added by the nazis, so plural on verses there should have been singular. The numerous ubber alles verses however, which did indeed exist well before the 3rd reich, were banned after the defeat of the nazis in WW2. BTW, the other posters analogy of wanting to lead people to water is a very unfortunate reference on Holocaust Remembrance Day, be careful about being led to water!

Edited by Jingthing

It is rather frustrating to have one's posts deliberately, negatively interpreted, so I would like to clear this up a bit.

-- I was not sure whether the uber alles verses of the German anthem were illegal or not, I learned here they are not illegal

-- There was indeed an original verse written for the 3rd Reich

-- However, ALL of the uber alles verses (and not only the specific 3rd Reich verses) are NOT part of the current official German national anthem (one would assume any German would know that and any German broadcasting them would also know they are OFFENSIVE)

-- the REASON that ALL of the uber alles verses are no longer official is because they still are associated with the 3rd Reich, NOT only the specific verses that were added by the 3rd Reich

-- ALL of the uber alles verses are still very offensive especially to groups that were victims of the holocaust.

-- Yes, I did originally make the remark about lampshades made of dead Jews if the uber alles anthem OFFENSIVELY posted here was illegal in Germany. It is not illegal. However, it is still very offensive

-- The Nazis did in real life make lampshades out of dead Jews. That is a fact. Are facts offensive? In this time of dangerous men such as the president of Iran denying the holocaust and seeking nuclear technology, is it such a bad thing to remind people who have conveniently forgotten about the facts of the history?

I apologize if some people are offended by the TRUTH of history and/or want to whitewash it, sugar coat it, or even deny it. What is more offensive, mentioning unpleasant facts to someone deliberately putting salt on old wounds, or executing the most heinous genocide in the history of mankind? And you still think I am the one who should apologize?

BTW, TODAY is Holocaust Remembrance Day.

http://history1900s.about.com/cs/holocaust/a/yomhashoah.htm

That is all.

La Chaim.

Maybe this will end all discussions about the German national Anthem

Das Deutschlandlied

Das Lied der Deutschen Song of the Germans

German Lyrics Literal English

Deutschland, Deutschland über alles, Germany, Germany above all,

Über alles in der Welt, Above everything in the world,

Wenn es stets zu Schutz und Trutze When always, for protection,

Brüderlich zusammenhält, We stand together as brothers.

Von der Maas bis an die Memel, From the Maas to the Memel

Von der Etsch bis an den Belt - From the Etsch to the Belt -

Deutschland, Deutschland über alles, Germany, Germany above all

Über alles in der Welt. Above all in the world.

Deutsche Frauen, deutsche Treue, German women, German loyalty,

Deutscher Wein und deutscher Sang German wine and German song,

Sollen in der Welt behalten Shall retain in the world,

Ihren alten schönen Klang, Their old lovely ring

Uns zu edler Tat begeistern To inspire us to noble deeds

Unser ganzes Leben lang. Our whole life long.

Deutsche Frauen, deutsche Treue, German women, German loyalty,

Deutscher Wein und deutscher Sang German wine and German song.

Einigkeit und Recht und Freiheit Unity and law and freedom

für das deutsche Vaterland! For the German Fatherland

Danach lasst uns alle streben Let us all strive for that

Brüderlich mit Herz und Hand! In brotherhood with heart and hand!

Sind des Glückes Unterpfand; Are the foundation for happiness

Blüh' im Glanze dieses Glückes, Bloom in the glow of happiness

Blühe, deutsches Vaterland. Bloom, German Fatherland.

Deutschland, Deutschland über alles,* Germany, Germany above all*

Und im Unglück nun erst recht. And in misfortune all the more.

Nur im Unglück kann die Liebe Only in misfortune can love

Zeigen, ob sie stark und echt. Show if it's strong and true.

Und so soll es weiterklingen And so it should ring out

Von Geschlechte zu Geschlecht: From generation to generation:

Deutschland, Deutschland über alles, Germany, Germany above all,

Und im Unglück nun erst recht. And in misfortune all the more.

*The fourth verse was written by Albert Matthäi during the French occupation of the Ruhr region in 1923. It is not part of the anthem today. Since 1952, only the third (“Einigkeit und Recht und Freiheit”) verse has been the official anthem.

Melody: Franz Joseph Haydn (1732-1809)

Lyrics: August Heinrich Hoffmann von Fallersleben (1798-1874)

The English translation is directly beside every line;

So Deutschland uber alles is still in the lyrics.

Hardly, Henry, hardly!

During the 12 years of the Nazi era, the first stanza was the official anthem. In May 1952 the third stanza was proclaimed the official anthem of the Federal Republic of Germany (West Germany) by President Theodor Heuss. (East Germany had its own anthem.)

Here is the third stanza, NO ubber alles:

für das deutsche Vaterland! For the German Fatherland

Danach lasst uns alle streben Let us all strive for that

Brüderlich mit Herz und Hand! In brotherhood with heart and hand!

Sind des Glückes Unterpfand; Are the foundation for happiness

Blüh' im Glanze dieses Glückes, Bloom in the glow of happiness

Blühe, deutsches Vaterland. Bloom, German Fatherland.

http://german.about.com/library/blmus_deutschland.htm

Edited by Jingthing

sorry this is getting a bit out of hand.

the language of the forum is English only.

plus the recent posts have gone totally off topic.

this is not about discussing the German anthem, or what happened during WWII or its aftermath.