Linus & Xp

thaisabai

thank you all for the answers to my topic "operating systems".

I am still somewhat confused about using both, Linux and XP on the same computer, basically what I am looking for (I am pretty good with XP) is a computer that both my fiancee (no readEnglish) and I (no read Thai) can use.

went to a computer store at IT city in Khorat and found a friendly vendor (who hardly speaks any English). From what I understood, he wants to sell me a computer with both operating systems (Linux for Thai) and XP for English and he says, I can switch between the 2 systems by hitting a key on the keybord, the offer seems reasonable, 2.4 MH Celeron, 256 Ram, CD RW and an Epson printer included for 16,200Baht.

Is this the way to go if you need a computer that operates in English and in Thai? or should I look at 2 XP versions on the same computer, one in English and one in Thai?

any suggestions are most welcome

Hi,

I'm sure that Windows XP Professional has a multilingual support. You can switch the language on the fly from the task bar.

Check it out at: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/evaluat...ltilingual.mspx

I think that Linux Fedora can also switch the language on the fly, but it is free.

The translation in thai is not completed (a status of the translation is available at http://i18n.redhat.com/cgi-bin/i18n-status

Visit fedora.redhat.com.

Bye

hi´

if you choose this solution, well, I would say it a good choice :o

ask for Thai Linux(TLE) or as I said a Mandrake (the 10.0 official)

anyway, it not a bad deal ... (could ask for 512mb of ram ... does not cost much more)

not sure about the switch ... or may be if the two OS are on the same disk ...

which I never recommand to do .. always better to have two disks, one for windows, and one for Linux, it the best ...

but, if you want to change from one to the other, you have to reboot ...

always a question of choice :D

cheers

francois

Hello Thaisabai,

You can use Thai language in both Linux and Windows XP.

I presume that your g/f has no computer experience, and you are “pretty good with Windows” then I can only advice you to stay with Windows XP.

As you have know-how about the working of a Windows computer it would probably be easier for your g/f to learn about Windows. With Linux you both have to start from zero.

Linux is (if bought official) much cheaper, there are several distro’s (Linux flavors) that are free and include a complete range of software (Office applications, graphical editing, etc..)

Memory, 256MB is enough for both MS-Windows XP and Linux (kernel version 2.6.8) but if it is possible I would advice for both operating systems 512MB.

Fun software, there is in Thailand (mainly because of the illegal CD trade) more (cheap) software available for MS-Windows. Also Windows software is most of the time easier to install then software for Linux computers (for beginners at least).

With kind regards,

Richard