Letter Of Consent Needed From My Wife?

Hi All

I have bought a condo and I'm about to transfer ownership into my name.

I received an email outlining what documentation I need for the land office.

Amongest then was these 2 "letters od consent" that need to be signed by my wife!

Is this the norm? I need permission from my Thai wife to buy a condo in my name?

post-32112-1203682043_thumb.jpg

post-32112-1203682086_thumb.jpg

Hi All

I have bought a condo and I'm about to transfer ownership into my name.

I received an email outlining what documentation I need for the land office.

Amongest then was these 2 "letters od consent" that need to be signed by my wife!

Is this the norm? I need permission from my Thai wife to buy a condo in my name?

why are you worried? dont think she will sign? dont you realize that Thailand is for Thais and not farang?

Under the Thai laws, property of a married couple is regarded as joint ownership. So, to protect both husband and wife, diversion of assets does require an acknowledgement of the other. However, in practice, in the case of buying, sometimes the Land Department can make do without that consent because they view this as an increment of wealth and beneficial to the spouse. But for selling, it is definitely a must that a consent of the other party should be there.

If you are single, then you will not be required to present that consent letter and allowed to own the property.

Under the Thai laws, property of a married couple is regarded as joint ownership. So, to protect both husband and wife, diversion of assets does require an acknowledgement of the other. However, in practice, in the case of buying, sometimes the Land Department can make do without that consent because they view this as an increment of wealth and beneficial to the spouse. But for selling, it is definitely a must that a consent of the other party should be there.

If you are single, then you will not be required to present that consent letter and allowed to own the property.

If have registered a prenup or ante-nuptial agreement before marriage and the money comes from your personal assets you of course do not need a letter of consent from your Thai spouse. They could ask for it of course, but then you have to prove that all money used for the purchase comes from personal property according to section 1471 and 1472 of the Civil and Commercial Code.