Huay Kaew Residence Final Experience

StefanH

Have been in Huay Kaew Res. 5 months 2006/2007 in a 10000 Baht Apt.

Last time 5 months 2007/2008 in a 12000 Baht Apt.

Despite it is pretty noisy there, I like the place because of its proximity to everything.

What I noticed last time was their change of terms of rental.

Contrary to the first stay, they charge now by the full month.

That means, if you move in e.g. at the 5th and leave next month at the 4th, you would be charged 25 days in the 1st month and a full next month....

The running machines at the fitness room are broken, never got repaired. I was told that the fitness room likely will be closed next time, because of expenses.

So far so good..... have been booked at the Orchid Fitness anyway, but would have liked a run at the residence now and then too ....

When there was time to end the lease and leave for another destination, to Kuala Lumpur, everything went smooth at first.

My flight scheduled 11:05 from CNX.

The residences Office opening at 9:00.

Inspection of the Apt. took 5 minutes, no claims.

Paid for electricity and water, all done at 9:15

But then, despite they had been noticed in advance about finishing the lease, they could not or wanted not to pay me back my 24000 Baht deposit.

We, my wife and my Taxi-driver waited and waited minute for minute, while the staff now and then called the manager, at least they said so.

Getting nervous about my flight, at 9:40 I asked the English-Speaking taxi-driver to tell them, I would contact the Tourist-Police, if I miss my flight.

Then everybody got upset, a guy and a girl appeared, presumable the Manager(s), and at 10:55 we could leave with my deposit.

We almost missed the flight, they closed check in early and took off even 7 minutes earlier than schedule...

Ok, it's the land of smile, mai pen rai and all, but I think that is not the way of treatment a customer deserves.... :o

I am staying at Hauy Kaew at the moment and have been here for 3 months in a 16000 bht per month apt. When I made inquires before my arrival I was told on the phone that if I stayed for 1 month I would have to pay 16000 bht per month but if I decided to extended my stay to 3 months whilst I was here they would reduce it to 14000 bht per month. Having decided to stay for 3 months I went to the office to advise them. They told me no that was not the case and I was mistaken and their staff were always right. Having asked to speak to the Manager I was told that she didn"t want to speak to me and the matter was closed. I asked if I could have the telephone number, email address, fax or address of the owners to take the matter further and was told NO. The butt stops at the office and their word is final.

I would never stay here again or recommend it as the security is pretty much nil.A few guards hanging out not too bothered about who enters the building.The office staff are not willing to listen to customers or help in any way.The internet is touch and go. At present lots of painting work going on swimming pool closed.

I"m sure that for the money I"m paying there must be a lot better places to stay in Chiang Mai

there is someone i know at the moment who can't wait to go out of this residence. he got a superb deal of buying a new house and is fed up of being "ripped off" at this place. and this is not the first person i have met. with this new thread and non positive feedback about this place, i can't find a reason why farangs still go live there.

When I first came to Chiang Mai I stayed there for about 4 months in the 5k baht room

Astronomical electricity fees,

piss poor internet

If you lock yourself out accidentally after 9:00pm you have to go get yourself a hotel room.

With internet you were basically paying 7000baht for a tiny ass apartment. I couldn't imagine paying 12-16k to live there... I have a 4 story townhouse in the old city on a main road and even with 4 aircons going I don't pay over 11k a month...

Dear readers,

I've also stayed in this 'residence' for 2 months last year December en Januari this year. I had to 15.000 a month ex. electricity and water and cleaning. The room was poor and have to get your own bedsheet towels etc.

The service is more than poor for sure. Even when I get back to my room arround 10pm. I forgot my (room)key. I asked the guards for the spare key, but they don't have it (very secure) They told me to come back tomorrow as the office is open again. Good luck for tonight! Because, I know some owner of the shops arround there, I asked the residece owner tel. no. Also the owner was not willing to come. I also told them that I have to get my medicine (sugar) in the room, but they really didn't care. They said, if your lucky you can find a hotel.

This is my experiance with this 'resident' there are much more and better appartments for less money. Before I stayed

2 months at verachai court Thapae road soi2 quit ok en good service en cheaper and closer in the city.

Jackstaff

I've never had a single problem here with the exception of the Internet connection which is terrible.

I also had no major problems until the incident like described in the initial posting......

By the way,some days before the end of the lease, I was planning my stay for late 2008 and was shown around in another building of the residence.

By chance I opened the fire-door to the stairs and found the stairs partially blocked by sort of a cabinet with shoes and stuff.

When asking, who expanded to there, I was told that someone from the management was living next door....

Since my Checkout-Problems seemed to be mainly caused by now-show of the management who could hand out the 24000 Baht, I think the problem is not the ordinary office-clerks, but the leadership of the whole.....

just across the road is Sukalchai Court. I stayed there for over 2 years and loved the place. Simple rooms with bathroom for 2,500 baht. You could phone downstairs to the restaurant and they'd deliver to your door great food quickly and cheaply. Reception staff friendly and 24 hours. management friendly but never needed. My dad came to visit me and arrived unexpectedly, the staff took care of him and sent someone out on a motorbike to find me in the city to let me know he'd arrived. Reluctant to leave, but thought it best as I had 'entertained' a few dangerous women in my room and they started to do the knock-on-your-door-at-3am thing so I moved without a forwarding address.

Edited by Loaded

Reluctant to leave, but thought it best as I had 'entertained' a few dangerous women in my room and they started to do the knock-on-your-door-at-3am thing so I moved without a forwarding address.

:D :D :o

you can move back i reckon. given a break from living there.

I've never had a single problem here with the exception of the Internet connection which is terrible.

I also had no major problems until the incident like described in the initial posting......

By the way,some days before the end of the lease, I was planning my stay for late 2008 and was shown around in another building of the residence.

By chance I opened the fire-door to the stairs and found the stairs partially blocked by sort of a cabinet with shoes and stuff.

When asking, who expanded to there, I was told that someone from the management was living next door....

Since my Checkout-Problems seemed to be mainly caused by now-show of the management who could hand out the 24000 Baht, I think the problem is not the ordinary office-clerks, but the leadership of the whole.....

I was only stating that I had not experienced any problems with the management or staff. Yes, the Internet is piss poor and electricity bills are too high in my opinion. What you wrote about the fire escape being partially blocked is troubling...

• 9 months later...

Hi everyone,

this is my first post in the forum.

I felt the urge to register and post this information: if you are someway sensitive to smoke (or if you just care for your health!) DON'T go to Huay Kaew Residence, especially southern buidings (number 3,4,5 if I remember correctly) as they are SCARILY near and exposed to a waste incineration site...

you can see it from satellite, just search for "incinerator chiang mai" on google maps.

or you can go there and check with your eyes! (easiest access is from Suan Dok Hospital, below)

I had rent a room for 1 month, but in the night I was choking (the incinerator runs all night, up to 8 in the morning), so after 10 days I had to checkout (with no refund at all, thank you Huay Kaew!)

bye

pereger

Why do folk put up with all this shyt.

I don't know exactly if I was suckered in and then decided to leave what I would do.

There is far to much of this crap here in the realm (and then you get people arguing about the price of a bottle of water "is it free, why isn't it free, etc., when all the while you have these mongrels doing their major rip off's)

Then we have people all up in arms about PAD whilst we have these dregs of society right in our very midst here in Chiangmai.

Agree about the changes of mid-month leave with no refund on the part is not acceptable, but is it the norm in Thailand or not?

While living there, I took pictures with digital date attached to record the state of the apartment as the initial inspection was not thorough. As it turned out, when I left, they started to speak about past damages, but shut their face very quickly when I showed them the dated pictures. I urge anyone to do this everywhere!

On the other hand, I think I was not ripped-off there as I demanded to see electricity meters before and after, but who knows if they tamper with it, right? BTW, the rates are pretty high, but then you live close by the mall.

I guess it is a good place for a newcomer who is trying to find his or her bearing, but you are right about security being a joke!

I would like to know more about the incinerator bit. I guess it must be located West of the building. Am I right?

Thanks.

i stayed there for about 5 weeks last year....it was noisy and one of the guards was not nice to my wife....she parked her motorcycle behind her car and was putting some things in her car and was going to move her motorcycle ....the guard very unpleasantly told her she could not park her motorcycle there and he would not listen to her while she was saying she was going to move motorcylce and not park it there.....

the people at office did not do anything when we complained....

will not stay there again

I would like to know more about the incinerator bit. I guess it must be located West of the building. Am I right?

It's about 300 meters south of the residence.

http_://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=incinerator+chiang+mai&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=50.424342,78.75&ie=UTF8&ll=18.793969,98.974012&spn=0.00359,0.004807&t=h&z=18

(remove the underscore to get URL)

Passing from Suan Dok (Maharaj Nakorn) hospital you can really get into, in case you want a close look...

• 4 months later...
It almost seems this should be pinned so members can be aware of this place. :)

Lots of bad experiences.

I'm so glad I read this forum; nearly booked myself a month there for this Friday. Will glady look elsewhere now. Cheers for the heads up!! Esp as I need good internet connection.

When my wife and I first arrived in Chiang Mai we spent 3 months at Hauy Kaew until our house was finished. Hauy Kaew was new then and they didn't have the swimming pool (someone told me they have one now) or a fitness center, actually they didn't have anything. We had a 2 room condo and the first thing we had to do was make them change the sofa as it was ripped right down the center but they said they didn't want to at which point my wife told them she didn't care but she knew they would try to charge us for it and they did try one month latter when they gave us a new one.

The place seemed dark and sinister to me the entire time we spent there and I felt like I had no privacy. The straw that really broke the camels back was when they would not let me take my car out of the parking lot because it was not in my name, they held me there for an hour until my wife got back and showed her ID man I have never been that pissed I was tempted to run the gate down. The funny thing was they didn't have a lot guard the entire time I lived there, it was the week I was moving out they decided to put one there after I already parked my car!

Getting the deposit back was surly going to be like pulling teeth, they had to locate the owner and get permission to pay us but the owner was in Bangkok and they needed his signature, etc., etc. etc. however my wife is a lawyer and blasted the owner on the phone and within moments of him speaking to his employee we had our deposit in cash.

I have also had friends who stayed at Hauy Kaew and not one of them has anything good to say about it.

• 2 years later...

I stayed there for 5 months and had no issues at all except for the buses idling outside at 7 am. Any questions were answered quickly and politely, Check out was smooth and hassle free, all my deposit money, less elec. and water returned. Internet total crap for 500 baht a month. Would I stay there again - no. There are better dealsif you take the time to look. If you're doing a one month quickie, it's not that bad, there are a lot worse.

• Like 1

It almost seems this should be pinned so members can be aware of this place. ohmy.gif

Lots of bad experiences.

If acceptable to the forum, and carefully moderated, this would do much to protect unsuspecting new arrivals in CNX.

It might go under a general heading of something like: 'Scams and Travel Warnings'

Mau Tours and HKR would be strong candidates.

If acceptable to the forum, and carefully moderated, this would do much to protect unsuspecting new arrivals in CNX.

It might go under a general heading of something like: 'Scams and Travel Warnings'

Got to be careful with 'name & shame' here in Thailand. Can lead to a lot of legal problems. Not really a suitable pinned topic.

Got to be careful with 'name & shame' here in Thailand. Can lead to a lot of legal problems. Not really a suitable pinned topic.

A better place to write gripes or reviews (good or bad) of travel experiences is Trip Advisor. You can combo a review on a guest house/tour operator there, that's their gig.