Where To Keep Money In Thailand Safely

kieranuk

Hi guys I have a question which is the most crucial of all plans I'm making

Short story

Left school with no qualifications. Made an 'arse of things from ages 14- now really. been homeless in 06. ended up saving up to go to india to go travelling for 4 months. liked it. came back early 07. was homeless for a bit again. got a council house. for the last year since being back ive got progressively more dissalusioned with working in a job i hate, had about 15 jobs and im 21. and half of that time ive not been working! most ive stayed in a job is 2 months.... This is not a suddenly got back and need to quickly go back to "forget about my problems". Ive been frustrated with what happned earlier in my life for years and am getting more frustrated and dont seem to be able to keep a normal job for very long, or enojoy college (tried twice).

This is the reason I intend to take a loan from the bank and take it out and get a flight to asia, probably starting off in thailand or india. I do want to pay it back just not the structured way I agree with the bank. So I'm not talking fraud of 50k but enough to let me live well in asia for a good few years with a few k to import things back to the UK at the end so I'm not fuc_ked when I'm back (if i came back with nothing to my name and no bank acount) and help re pay the loan back

My question was where could I store most of my money in thailand/cambodia/nam. I dont need to mention why I shouldnt be carrying 5k+ in cash in my moneybelt, the whole lot. But where could I store this cash in thailand? could I set up a bank account? would that be risky with my UK bank being able to find out? what about in the airport locker? in a safe in a hotel? but what would the proof be if they stole it? what would be a safe (preferably safest) way for me to store money out there and enable me to either come and collect sums when I run out every few months, or in some kind of untraceable account.

I want to come back to scotland. but I've got nothing to lose other than the having no bank account when I'm back. and to pay it back as soon as possible. so its not a gigantic fraud but something the bank would not agree to if I told them the truth

I hope someone can give me some advice on what do do with the money, I would be exreme greatful.

thank you

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Short story

Left school with no qualifications. Made an 'arse of things from ages 14- now really. been homeless in 06. ended up saving up to go to india to go travelling for 4 months. liked it. came back early 07. was homeless for a bit again. got a council house. for the last year since being back ive got progressively more dissalusioned with working in a job i hate, had about 15 jobs and im 21. and half of that time ive not been working! most ive stayed in a job is 2 months.... This is not a suddenly got back and need to quickly go back to "forget about my problems". Ive been frustrated with what happned earlier in my life for years and am getting more frustrated and dont seem to be able to keep a normal job for very long, or enojoy college (tried twice).

This is the reason I intend to take a loan from the bank and take it out and get a flight to asia, probably starting off in thailand or india. I do want to pay it back just not the structured way I agree with the bank. So I'm not talking fraud of 50k but enough to let me live well in asia for a good few years with a few k to import things back to the UK at the end so I'm not fuc_ked when I'm back (if i came back with nothing to my name and no bank acount) and help re pay the loan back

My question was where could I store most of my money in thailand/cambodia/nam. I dont need to mention why I shouldnt be carrying 5k+ in cash in my moneybelt, the whole lot. But where could I store this cash in thailand? could I set up a bank account? would that be risky with my UK bank being able to find out? what about in the airport locker? in a safe in a hotel? but what would the proof be if they stole it? what would be a safe (preferably safest) way for me to store money out there and enable me to either come and collect sums when I run out every few months, or in some kind of untraceable account.

I want to come back to scotland. but I've got nothing to lose other than the having no bank account when I'm back. and to pay it back as soon as possible. so its not a gigantic fraud but something the bank would not agree to if I told them the truth

I hope someone can give me some advice on what do do with the money, I would be exreme greatful.

thank you

i just read your post and after i fineshed laughing, still am a bit, im trying to work out if this is a wind up or for real!

anyway im gonna say this cos ya might be genuine

"could I set up a bank account"

yes ya can with a passport, in an out, card, done in an hour no probs

whilst im still laughing, good luck & take care

By the time you've been here for a couple of weeks--if you start with 5K you'll be just about ready to get on your plane back to Scotland--ladies of the night and all the other attractions available--be careful, my son, be careful--first rule, for a start is to shut your mouth and keep it so--trust no one, not just the Ex-pats and, if you're really only talking about 5k--keep it on you, at all times--that means on the job, as well. By the way--you can get a bank account but how you stand if you are on a tourist visa, i don't know?

no its not a wind up! I am going to take a large enough amount that im not keeping in a moneybelt... no chance

the bank account in thailand would be my prefferred option, but how easily my bank could trace the money is my big concern with this. any other ways to keep money there?

I am quite good with budgeting haybilly. I might take up learning thai kickboxing but I'm not flash with my cash by any means.

thanx for all the advice

no its not a wind up! I am going to take a large enough amount that im not keeping in a moneybelt... no chance

the bank account in thailand would be my prefferred option, but how easily my bank could trace the money is my big concern with this. any other ways to keep money there?

I am quite good with budgeting haybilly. I might take up learning thai kickboxing but I'm not flash with my cash by any means.

thanx for all the advice

Have you been here before? Good luck, I think you'll need it :o

If you are for real, and if you are, my deepest sympathies, I think you are right to be afraid of opening a bank account. You could easily open one but that does open you to be traced. On the other hand, that would be the safest place for your cash otherwise. Short of that, there are security box services in various cities, they certainly exist in Pattaya and Jomtien, sometimes with double lock systems, costing about 300 baht per month. I would not trust a large amount of money long term in a hotel safe. Enjoy your time of freedom ....

I was expecting this kind of response, but I asked that question for specific answers....

no-one is helping me do this. I've been told its a bad idea. just like alot of replys have said... keep them coming if it makes you feel better but please try to answer my question aswell

I think I answered if for you ... security box services not hotel safes.

Perhaps someone else has specialized knowledge on the likelihood of being tracked down if you open a bank account. Actually, to me, you sound like very small potatoes for any enforcing agency.

Edited by Jingthing

If you are able to open a bank account, go a step further and open a safety box in the bank, costs about Bht 1000 per annum. safest bet in Thailand.

That wouldn't be much safer in his case. The account and box could still be traced to his identity if the law was after him. Hey, and what about visas, ha ha ...

Edited by Jingthing

I was expecting this kind of response, but I asked that question for specific answers....

no-one is helping me do this. I've been told its a bad idea. just like alot of replys have said... keep them coming if it makes you feel better but please try to answer my question aswell

i got told about a card like a visa card, but like a phone top up card, ya put the money on first then ya can just draw out, now i dont think it was a bank fronting it, im sure (actully im not sure) it was something like co-op travel???

either way if ya only got one lump of cash, split it, in case of problems, some on a card, some folding, some travelers cqs, etc!

now im not condoning what people do with loans etc but,

the uk law used to be you take out a bank loan and not pay it back was locked doors matey boy, maybe even on your return, plane arrest, saves a bus ride!!

now not up on laws much, but if you paid off 3 monthley payments back to the bank, it was classed as no longer criminal, but civil!

maybe worth asking around!

I suppose the legal and ethical parts are between the OP, his conscience, and the legal authorities. Actually, he sounds kind of like a young Barack Obama, without the drugs?, who knows what the future will hold in the brave new world of the audacity of hope ...

Edited by Jingthing

thank you

Send your question to:

http://www.scottishlaw.org.uk/lawfirms/serabanks.html ***

I'm sure one of those bankers is willing to give you a hand.

A good place to hide in Thailand is a small island in a large pond, surrounded by crocs. Make sure you hide the treasure under a small palm tree in order to enable your treasure to grow...

Stay modest and don't get involved in the so called Mia Noi thingy ! That's bad for growth of your fortune.

post-13995-1203774084_thumb.png

*** in order to help you I've sent an email to those banks in Scotland already; it's saves a lot of your precious time.

LaoPo :o

Siam City Bank has safety deposit boxes for 500 baht per annum--but, as has been said you need an account with them, and this is traceable--I wasn't taking the piss when I said you were in danger of running out pretty quickly--before I came here, been here 9 years, I spent most of previous 25 yrs in India--and this ain't India--it's a whole lot more expensive, on all fronts--it's also, surprisingly, more dangerous--be warned. I really think you are focusing on the wrong country--Cambodia would be a much better option--up to you--5k is about 300,000Baht and won't get you a decent second hand motor in Thailand, just for instance.

Edited by haybilly

have you actually applied for the loan yet??? or been aproved???.....i think your dreaming to be honest......no bank is gonna give you a large enough amount to live here for a few years and have a couple of k to buy stuff on your return.if your lucky bank may aprove a few thousand but i dont think they will do that.....and that wont last very long at all then you will be back and in deep shit forever..if you dont go jail then will be blacklisted for a long while...i know you wont care ....but you might later when you grow up.your credit score will be crap and thats what they will base giving you a loan on....your in council premises with no job or only been in a low paying job for weeks/months... i think the least they will want is to know you have worked same job for a year or two....and will be fraud if you get someone to help you bullshit.your best bet if you wanna do this is work for a while in a job then try and do it....and like some have been saying its not as cheap as india.and if you do get a big loan you will have to be careful bringing a large amount into thailand without a good explanation.....it could get confiscated off you at the airport and then you real fcuked as will have to go back to the uk with nothing and a loan to pay off.

anyway good luck...think you will need it.....keep us informed as i for one will be interested to know if you can beat the system and actually get a reasonable sized loan with your background.

i dont mean to be rude and hope you dont take it that way......and to answer your question as to where to put it......if no one knows you have come to thailand then i think you will be safe putting in a bank here or if not then yes there are lots of security boxes availabe in main towns.if you live in main towns though then everything more expensive.hope this helps you.

rob

The OP tells us he looks back on the mistakes of his earlier life - but sets off into the future with more mistakes.

My guessing is that when he goes to the bank to borrow 50K, they'll tell him to 'get on his travels'.

OP, if you do manage to scrounge a 50K loan on the basis of the lifestyle you profess to follow, please come back and tell us what bank you used.

I'd like to make sure its not where I keep my hard earned savings.

Short story

thank you

Me thinks a troll..

For someone who made an arse of himself from 14 years of age he is fairly articulate and his spelling is reasonable.

A windup I think

TBWG :o