Thai License - International Driving Permit

drummachine

As far as I'm aware you can't receive an IDP and use it in the country that it was issued in. I knew about this before I left Australia and I applied for an IDP so as to get fast tracked for a Thai licence ( no practical or theory test required) I believe the theory test is simple but it's in Thai language only. A few points worth considering, using an IDP in a country like Thailand can get very messy especially if you have an accident as some insurance companys will use it as a way out of paying the claim also there's many policemen who wouldn't have a clue what an IDP is and charge you with unlicenced driving, even if you go to a higher body to plead your innocence its going to cost you money.

Edited by Mason45

The Thai authorities accept some driving licenses from foreign countries (Australia is one) to exempt you from completing the theory part of the Thai driving examination and also a practical "road test" (if it can be called that). From memory they check reaction time, depth perception and colour vision. Takes about 1 hour.

I do have a question though...if I were to use my Thai license to obtain an international driving permit, could this permit be used in my home country of Australia ? I hold a current Australian license but am curious, if I were requested, were to present an international license issued overseas would the Australian police accept it or insist I produce the Australian license ?

I am unsure by the wording of the OP but yes its very possible to get a Thai IDP based on your full thai license for use outside of Thailand.

They wont issue one on your 1 year 'provisional' Thai DL.. Only the 5 year 'full' Thai DL..

I got mine by doing all the paperwork at my local office in Phuket, they check everything but it still goes to BKK and takes 6 or so weeks. You need the forms (at my local office) photos, a post office money order, self address envelope that sort of thing.

I strongly suspect this could be a royal struggle at a baan nok transport office upcountry.

So is it possible to use the IDP in the EU member countries....and if so how long is it valid. Also can you use the Thai license and if so for how long?

Also what is the "paperwork" needed for the application?

Thanks for all your replies. :o

I am unsure by the wording of the OP but yes its very possible to get a Thai IDP based on your full thai license for use outside of Thailand.

They wont issue one on your 1 year 'provisional' Thai DL.. Only the 5 year 'full' Thai DL..

I got mine by doing all the paperwork at my local office in Phuket, they check everything but it still goes to BKK and takes 6 or so weeks. You need the forms (at my local office) photos, a post office money order, self address envelope that sort of thing.

I strongly suspect this could be a royal struggle at a baan nok transport office upcountry.

Edited by drummachine

The IDP and Thai license is not an either/or thing. The IDP by itself is invalid. It is used in conjunction with the Thai license. It is normally only good for one year, regardless of the expiration of the Thai license.

The IDP is just a paper booklet with your photo and the classes of vehicles your license is for, This is printed in the IDP in all the official UN languages (plus two more I think)

Your local license office either has the forms or will tell you the nearest office you can use.

Edited by Smokin Joe

The above is correct and its my understanding I can use it globally except Thailand.. There would be some argument about using it in the UK where I am a citizen as you cannot use one in your 'home country' but I no longer class the UK as such and am a registered non resident so ?!?!?

The Thai IDP is like all IDP's only valid for one year but very conveniently doesnt have that displayed prominently (its on the very back of the book).. It says when its valid from and thats it, handy for waving about :o

As a resident of Thailand and a visitor to the UK as long as your trips are as a visitor, you can use your Thai license (12 months max). A International Driving Permit is not recognised in the UK. It also has to be translated into English (Thai license).

All the points made are by the DVLA, whom I just got off the phone from.

Edited by drummachine

<snip>

I do have a question though...if I were to use my Thai license to obtain an international driving permit, could this permit be used in my home country of Australia ? I hold a current Australian license but am curious, if I were requested, were to present an international license issued overseas would the Australian police accept it or insist I produce the Australian license ?

I’ve encountered this before. I hold driving licenses and IDP’s from other countries as well as an Australian license.

The QLD police said as an Australian citizen I am required to use an Australian driving license whilst driving in Australia.