Internet Service Phuket

Ping

I spend 6 months of the year in Patong, Phuket and the house I rent does not have a telephone. In the past, I have used one of the numerous Internet cafes, but I would like to be able to access the Internet from home. Wondering if anyone knows a way of getting a six month only or no contract Internet service by way of card or similar and what sort of waiting period I am up for. Speed is not all that important (won't be watching Utube or downloading large files).

If speed is not a problem, then get a gprs contract with your mobile phone company. I had to use them for 2 years while waiting for a phone. Alternatively you can purchase an x amount of gprs time.

Also, you can buy the Aircard and use it. Faster upto about 300kb. Depends on area you are in as far as speed and connection quality.

Thanks for the reply! Yes I was thinking Aircard, but can't seem to dig out any details on the web. I'll be in the heart of Patong, so no problems with connectivity. Do you know whether there as a Thai site (English) or can you tell me who the service providers would be? I just need to get some details for a bit of forward planning. Thanks again.

The CAT CDMA EV-DO system comes, not surprisingly, from CAT..

They can be quite awkward in Patong about insisting you have a work permit.. They even refused my mother on a retirement visa while I pointed out that being retired she 'couldnt' have a WP.. After much argueing they finally agreed. That was a year ago so dont know if they are still being tough.

Thanks LivinLOS. Peculiar, but their bit to thwart threats of terrorism, I suppose. I'll look into it. If the worst comes to the worst, my house cleaner would probably organise it for me - unless there is anything iffy about doing it that way.

I had no problems about 3 months ago when i got the CDMA modem from the CAT office in patong and I have a Tourist Visa.

Now they moved the office in a new location and i don't know if changing staff means also changing rules.

About the coverage you should get the modem early in the morning and check it in your home, if it doesn't work as you wish you are allowed to return it back before 3pm.