Farm Land Prices

Joe Walshe

correct, 1600m2.

Sorry ting, I just noticed your reply wai2.gif

I have read this thread with interest and the price of land seems to have risen at a very fast rate.

I do not understand this because I thought that the young did not want to farm anymore and they were working in factories or construction in Bangkok.

Surely this would make farm land have little demand and fall or at the most stay the same?

I have been looking at land in Kumpawapi (Udonthani province) because the Thai girl's family live there and have already 20 rai.

Her farm land is 500 metres from the main road Bangkok to UdonThani.

I have been offered 20 rai next to her farm for 100,000 bt per rai.

It is Sugar Cane and Rice with a pool.

The Sugar cane factory is about 2 kms from her farm.

The asking rate seems to be from 80,000 bt to 500,000 bt.

This appears to be the asking rate around Kumpawapi.

Whether they sell is another question.

How can a Thai on 400 bt a day ever buy farm land at 100,000 bt per rai?

Maybe you clued up farmers can give me insight into this all.

A Thai making 400 baht a day not only could not afford farmland at that price, but most would be too smart to pay anything close to that price unless they were growing hardwood trees to sell to the Koreans or Japs thumbsup.gif My neice just bought 6 rai of good rice producing land adjacent to their farm 25 miles outside of Korat for 80,000 baht ( that is the total price not per/rai). Anyone paying 100,000+ per/rai had better intend on building a home on the land and plan on becoming a "gentleman" farmer without consideration of ROI. I know that in the Wang nam keaw area they are asking 150,000-200,000/rai for farmland, but then again most who buy there are building homes there for the clean air and spectacular views, along with growing those expensive hardwood trees wai2.gif

• 1 year later...

As kind of a side topic that should be considered if considering buying farm land for production and profits.

"My wife owns" land in both rice and cassava.

We both have other responsibilities and do not work the land ourselves.

We have always paid others to plant, maintain and harvest the crops.

For the last 3 years, it has become more and more difficult to find people to work the farms.

There are easier ways to make a living in Esaan these days, more and more factory jobs are available.

In fact, this year if not for help from the wife's family, we may not have been able to harvest!

I can see needing to offer much higher pay to get people to work on farms in the future.

That should go into the calculations of your future fortunes.

• 2 years later...

I realize this topic is 2 years old but wondering what farm land is selling for since this topic started. Has it continued to go up in price or has it collapsed.
My wife owns about 30 rai of good farmland with simple house, electricity, well water and a pond which is about 200 sq; metres and about 2m deep. Land is about 5km form Chumpae town and about 1km off the main road.
She is hoping to sell

The asking price for rai in Thailand is absurd. The way you buy land is offer a low price, such as 50,000 baht per rai for good land. Leave your phone number and say you have cash. They will call you when they are in a bind and you can buy.I mean your wife can buy.

On 15/06/2017 at 4:24 AM, tomwct said:

The asking price for rai in Thailand is absurd. The way you buy land is offer a low price, such as 50,000 baht per rai for good land. Leave your phone number and say you have cash. They will call you when they are in a bind and you can buy.I mean your wife can buy.

Totaly agree with proviso tell your wife to never let the seller or prospective seller know that hubby is farang. Or price suddenly jumps. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
4 hours ago, maprao said:

Land going for 60k per rai our way was being sold for 5k per rai when the gov starting seizing sor por lor land. ..

Now worth? Did the government sieze the sold land? Many Thais panicked thinking there land which im guessing had been handed down over generations without papers. Suddenly tried to sell there land on. We bought some after checking the land could be sold on to us and chanotes ect could be issued on land cost us 5k to find out then another 20k to legitamise the land. Still with sale price and 25k  spent out we still made a killing.

• Like 1

Jeab 1980 They seized a large amount from people who exceeded 100 to 200 rai or more of of possesory right land sor por gor from my understanding. People from the surrounding area applied for land to farm and we're given small plots. How this will pan out later when the gov changes who knows. In my area it was land away from the main roads with poor access. No land with any title better or greater than sor por gor was seized. This land can not be converted to any other title. They no longer even accept the small tax payable on the land as before.

Well done for getting the upgrade on your titles.

1 hour ago, maprao said:

Jeab 1980 They seized a large amount from people who exceeded 100 to 200 rai or more of of possesory right land sor por gor from my understanding. People from the surrounding area applied for land to farm and we're given small plots. How this will pan out later when the gov changes who knows. In my area it was land away from the main roads with poor access. No land with any title better or greater than sor por gor was seized. This land can not be converted to any other title. They no longer even accept the small tax payable on the land as before.

Well done for getting the upgrade on your titles.

Im sure the land was legal in the first place they just panicked. Thought maybe there grandparents and before them even just claimed the land. With no paperwork and no money to check and not wanting to check in case they were rumbled. They just quickly sold it on. Being in the right place Mrs did the digging via a friend of a friend in Land office. 5k to be told land was indeed ok and could have papers transfered but would need court approval. We did i say we i kept out of it went to court got the land transfered to wifes name. Went back to friend of froend who did the paperwork for us 20k. Land transfer tax ect within that amount!. As a side note it turned out the land was in the sellers great great grandads name. However the seller knows none of this he just sold us the land. :smile: