General Discussion

Ping

Nice of you to join us OC!

Interesting that the three of us have very similar situations. One thing I mentioned is opening a Thai bank account. Currently, I have to muck about converting $ to travelers' cheques and carry a bundle of those over. It would make things a lot easier if I could open a Th account and electronically transfer at will. As I said, this would also have the advantage of setting me up for a reitrement visa.

I have toyed with the idea of renting out my house (rather than selling) and also with the idea of buying a small unit or similar to serve as a 'bolt hole', but there seem to be too many issues with both these options. I suppose the advantage to them is insulation against inflation (ie if one decides to return to Oz to live, one will not have been priced out of the real estate market). In the final analysis, I may just decide to rent my current place as a furnished house (minus other items of value). If the worst comes to the worst, the furniture/white goods can be replaced and the house repainted/recarpeted.

As to Phuket, a decent long-term rental house can be found for around 15k pcm, provided one doesn't want to be beachside. Of course, it's dead money - but over, say, five years - and allowing for inflation - that's only around B1m (AUD 35k) lost walk-in walk-out. Alternatively, if one purchased a condo, any chance of a good return would have to be based upon presumptions as to the Thai property market and the strength of the Thai baht. Any thoughts, gents?

Edited by Ping

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah, Ping, lotsa fish hooks with renting out a house, but solves cash flow worries.

No need to hit capital, just use interest as now.

Buying a small condo around Chalong for my over wintering from NZ

Rent it out during high season to dive groups and such.

Use it myself as required in low season.

As for cash, do they still sell travellers cheques in OZ.

Banks, well VISA is stopping the issue of TCs.

AMEX will keep them no doubt, the robbers.

Ya hafta pay for them, and ya usually have to pay to cash them, stuff that.

I bring cash, and get about 3 baht per dollar more at Swampypool, when I get out of airside, than in NZ before leaving, and NO transaction fee.

Travelex are thieves.

Best in Melbs is UAR Exchanges, no fees and good rates.

If I run short of cash, I just use my ATM card with the "PLUS" symbol, costs me $5.00 + 1% for FX per transaction.

Some banks let you withdraw more Tbaht than others.

Safe as houses.

Credit card I only normally use for airfares on any trips I do, all bookings over internet.

Last year I had my card replaced 3 times after Visa told my bank, it may be compromised after using it at Emporium one trip.

Pantip Plaza and Chinatown another time, all large value purchases.

Lesson, DO NOT use c/card for normal retail use.

Had to use it in Bali at hotel, arrived too late for moneychangers, hotel exchange rate was real ripoff.

NEVA LET CREDIT CARD OUT OF YOUR OWN HANDS.

I presume you use internet banking, check ya balamces daily.

All bills, power, electric etc, are on automatic payment from my credit card, so no worries.

Gee, I ramble........

Betta go, I am writing a book.........lol.

Amazing how close all our situations and thoughts are. :o

Just reading your posts above, make things a little clearer for me. My super comes to just under 60k p m, and with rental of my house, I should be able to add at least another 40k, so plenty for a comfortable lifestyle in phukers without selling up here or touching investments.

As you say Ping, put away the good furniture and stuff and be prepared to paint, etc somewhere down the track.

I haven't used travelers cheques for about 20 years Pete - just don't like them. I usually just take $1-2000 in cash and a visa card to access my account through ATM's. Transfer money to visa as needed on line. Always good exchange rates. Have to be careful with the cards, but carry a backup just in case. Only buy stuff with cash.

Yeah, OC.

Will you be there for the TV pizzup?

Be great to sit back, Chang in hand, with Ping and gass away.

I saw lotsa TVers in Chiang Mai last year, but was a newbie in TV, so really unable to get chatting.

Went upstairs and watched rugby with some guys fron UK and downunder.

Great nite all in all, was enjoyed at Tuskers.

Curiosity, how much does your bank in OZ, charge for ATM withdrawals in Thailand?

I do, initially get some smaller, in good condition, $US bills, for side trips to Cambodia or Vietnam etc.

Gunna hit LAOS this trip.

Catchu laterz.

Yeah, OC.

I saw lotsa TVers in Chiang Mai last year, but was a newbie in TV, so really unable to get chatting.

Curiosity, how much does your bank in OZ, charge for ATM withdrawals in Thailand?

I do, initially get some smaller, in good condition, $US bills, for side trips to Cambodia or Vietnam etc.

Catchu laterz.

Won't be at the pissup, having an op next month, will take me a while to get going again.

Have a good time, sink a few. Say hello to my mate, Gerd :D

Generally, there are no charges for using my visa in LOS at an ATM, as long as I transfer extra money into the account first. Otherwise a small cash advance fee seems to pop up on the statment, sometimes. Not enough to worry about.

(I use Bankwest)

:o

Edited by Old Croc

Sorry to hear about your op, OC. I wish you well with it.

As to the use of credit cards in Thailand, on withdrawal, do you get offshore exchange rates or local (Thai) exchange rates? If offshore, you are losing a couple of baht to the dollar. Interestingly, American Express has only recently ceased their travelcard (name ?) service - which was a similar approach to TCs but you just use an ATM. I don't know the reason why they stopped it (other than a 'commercial decision'). I suspect it was not all that popular, since there were all sorts of fees involved.

American Express TCs cost 1.1% at most places. They are free at Aus Post Offices, but there is a limit of $6000 per purchase and you cannot elect the denomination of the cheques, so you end up with a mix of small value and larger value cheques. Of course, the disdvantage when cashing is that commission costs are per cheque irrespective of value, so I find it more convenient to simply pay Amex the 1.1% and get all $200 TCs. If you buy from Amex itself, you can transfer the money to Amex by direct deposit and then simply collect your cheques. Far simpler.

As far as I am aware, banks here still do Amex TCs. Coincidentally, I am off to the Commonwealth tomorrow to see if they do the same deal as Amex (re direct deposit), since it is more convenient for me to collect my TCs from the local bank than to have to go into town.

Pete, your idea of buying a condo and making it 'work' for you during the high season seems sensible. You cannot guarantee occupancy, of course, but putting it into the hands of a few agents (many rentals seem to be with more than one agent) may meet with success for the high season. At the place I rent, the owner does the opposite - he occupies it himself during part of the high season.

OC, sorry you will not be there, best of luck with ya op matey.

Bet ya life, Ping and I will sink yours......LOL

Ping, my bank, the one I use for money withdrawals in L.O.S, is ASB Bank, owned by the Australian Commonwealth Bank.

I do not put money on Visa credit card, stuff that, just withdraw cash if needed, using my normal account, cash card, at any ATM in Thailand, with PLUS symbol.

As I said, 5 bucks + 1% FX fee.

I rarely have to use it on a short, 1 month visit, take enuff cash.

Actually only used it 4 times, in 5 years, inc in OZ.

Usually because I have extended my stay.

I will have one credit card balance to pay whilst there this trip.

No worries, all done online.

If I recall correctly, the exchange is what your bank is offering at the time.

Regarding renting out any place I may possibly buy.

My nephew will, hopefully, be able to do that for me, using clients from his, padi dive course/tour business.

Gunna have a good chat with him about it, commission payable of course.

Should be a breeze, customers almost waiting.....LOL

All hangs on my Big C therapy, hope it works.

On reading this, people mite think I work at "Big C"...... pmpl.

Edited by Zpete

Just waiting on EMIRATES.

A bit flasher this trip, Royal Brunei not so hot last time, but had to try them.....no booze..... sniffffff.

Mid june, 15th about.

Gunna head to Pattaya for a few days, only spent one day before..

Try Shagwell Mansions, read their webpage, ...... hehehe

Next my first trip into Laos, need to get me dates to cover an over 30+ days stay, kill two birds with one stone.

Return flite, about 18th July, with possibly a stopover in Brissie.

People I have not seen for awhile, and meet some kiwi expats from the chatroom who wanna see me uglyface to face.

Lotta time yet, but wanna get flites booked, ASAP.

Edited by Zpete

Well no problem with making the TV function then; good stuff. Good luck with your trip to Pattaya. I had only been there once - about 20 or so years ago - and didn't like it, but decided about five years ago that I should have another look. The place had absolutely exploded in growth - phenomenal. I barely recognised it. I disliked it more intensely than the first time I'd been there. I hope that doesn't put you off, but I just can't see it being your cup of tea. You may end up doing what I did last time - cutting the stay there short and getting back to good old Phuket!

I've read some very interesting articles about Laos. There's a mob that does a variety of guided tours there - excellent reputation and good value for money. Intrepid travel, if you're interested. You may find it handy to utilise óne of their itineraries even if you don't use them.

http://www.intrepidtravel.com/trips/LSN

Yeah, OC.

Catchu laterz.

Won't be at the pissup, having an op next month, will take me a while to get going again.

Have a good time, sink a few. Say hello to my mate, Gerd :D

Generally, there are no charges for using my visa in LOS at an ATM, as long as I transfer extra money into the account first. Otherwise a small cash advance fee seems to pop up on the statment, sometimes. Not enough to worry about.

(I use Bankwest)

:o

OC,

nice to hear that you did not forget me!

Interesting postings here, a good read.

Wishing you all the best for our operation!!!

A great weekend to all here,

Gerd

Drinkies Patong

OC would you feel like informal drinkies (or a chat with others who will be enjoying a drink or three) prior to to your op? I'm meeting up with LeungKen and Bagsida for a drink and I think LivinginKata may also join us. Perhaps ThaiGerd, Sir Burr and others may be interested as well. I was thinking of either Faulty Towers (preferred) or one of the bars at Jungceylon (if that's the consensus). If so, give us a rough date (and I will square it with LeungKen's commute day). Anyone else who is interested, please chip in. Note this is separate from the TV p!ssup at Friendship Beach, so you will have to bring some folding (pay your own way), but as far as I'm concerned, the more, the merrier.

Pete, I would like to do this so that we can meet with OC before his op, and unfortunately, I don't think you'll be in town by then. If OC doesn't feel up to it, we'll reschedule so that you can be there. Either way, there is no reason we can't have a few of these - perhaps even schedule something on a monthly or some other regular basis, if there is sufficient interest.

Come on folks, put your hands up!

OK my hand is up - so long as there is somewhere to crash over night rather than ride the mighty Honda Wave back to Nai Yang.

Plus I'm not a big drinker anymore since I gave up the smokes 11 months ago after 40 odd years - but I'm up for a rant and rave with like minded - even Kiwis... :D

Would be good to see O.C. as I spent quite some time in Sandgroper city and I hope your health is OK Crocs. Cheers & Chok Dee All

Ken

P.S. I'll fit in which ever venue you decide on Ping - As Social Secretary of the Antipodean Adventures Assoc you get the final say......... :o

Drinkies Patong

OC would you feel like informal drinkies (or a chat with others who will be enjoying a drink or three) prior to to your op? I'm meeting up with LeungKen and Bagsida for a drink and I think LivinginKata may also join us. Perhaps ThaiGerd, Sir Burr and others may be interested as well. I was thinking of either Faulty Towers (preferred) or one of the bars at Jungceylon (if that's the consensus). If so, give us a rough date (and I will square it with LeungKen's commute day). Anyone else who is interested, please chip in. Note this is separate from the TV p!ssup at Friendship Beach, so you will have to bring some folding (pay your own way), but as far as I'm concerned, the more, the merrier.

Pete, I would like to do this so that we can meet with OC before his op, and unfortunately, I don't think you'll be in town by then. If OC doesn't feel up to it, we'll reschedule so that you can be there. Either way, there is no reason we can't have a few of these - perhaps even schedule something on a monthly or some other regular basis, if there is sufficient interest.

Come on folks, put your hands up!

Thanks for the invite as well Ping, but I'm in Perth and won't be going to Phuket before my op. Getting a new hip put in so it will be a while before i'm able to travel again. My GF is coming down to help out. My plans mentioned above relate more to next winter.

Pity, it would be nice to meet all the guys mentioned. :o

Hard luck OC - maybe next year, then. So let's go to plan B. Pete's arriving (I think) in June, so give us some early available dates, Pete. We'll go from there. BTW Sir Burr, I think you'll be back by then. Ken's in, Gerd's in and I'm in. Let's hear from some more starters.

BTW Ken, I can't drink like I used to either - age catches up with all of us... but I'm not down to a pizza after two stubbies just yet - I still rarely break the seal until at least after my fourth.

What sort of time of day are you thinking about ? I'm out of Patong by 17.00, and back to quiet Kata after that. Hate driving when dark, too many crazies on the road. I'll watch and see what you all decide, maybe I'll be there.... :o

We could start in the morning and finish next day in the morning, easy!

Gerd

'

Perhaps we should rename this the "Old Farts Night", Zimmer frames to be left at the door and it's all back to Zpete's place for Cocoa and medication from Nurse Diesel....

..Only joking and I'm sure we can come up with some compromise to cater for us aged and infirm........ :o . :D . :D .

Keep working on it Ping.

Hey Crocs does that mean you wont be playing full forward for the Eagles this season.. :D

Good Luck with the plastic fantastic hip (or are they ceramic ?)

I think I could get a game in the Eagles forward line even now Ken. In the first 4 games of the season they've managed about as many goals as ManU!

Bit of plastic, some ceramics and enough steel to ensure every trip through an Australian airport is a nightmare.

Being treated as a terrorist by Muslim, Eritrean, Chubb security staff does not make for a happy Croc. :o

No problems in places like Singapore and Thailand.

Drinkies Patong

Bad luck, OC, but wish ya good luck on your operation.

I was under the impression most joints were all plastic, kevlar.

My cuzzie has 2 replaced knees, she has a certificate to give the scanners at airports.

Neva had a problem, even in LAX, one of the most finickey if airports.

Remind me after the op to tell you sumfin.

Good idea, a meet for familiarity drinkies.

Ping, still trying to get hold of Emirates in NZ.

Phone always engaged.

I was checking the fares.......

AKL - BKK = 1,477.56 NZD

BKK - AKL = 963.653 NZD

....... sheeeeeeesh

Looks like it may pay to go on one way ticket, and get a return from Bangers.

I am unable to find online if the AKL - BKK flite stops over in Bris, if it is Syds or Melbs, no good.

Reckon on hitting Phuket week ending..... 15th June........ ret on 15th July.

I WILL BOOK ON MONDAY.

Grrrr, spellin mistakes.

Edited by Zpete

Fair enough Pete... When you confirm the arrival date, we should probably set a date within a week of that, since the TV function is on 12 July. Let us know when you have got a confirmed seat.

Re your query on the time, LivinginKata, I imagine we'll be able to work something out that's not too burdensome on anyone.

good luck with the op Old Croc. you'll be jogging up and down patong beach before you know it lovey. glad to hear your lovely lady will be there to help too.

Thanks Donna, nice to hear from you. :o

How's everything going in Bali, settled in now?

yeah, all is good for me here. ive settled in nicely and enjoying the island and the job. its definitely a lot slower than phuket is, but i like it that way.

i do have to say that anyone who thinks that phuket drivers are bad should come here and see what shocking driving REALLY is. to say that drivers here are all on a suicide mission is an understatement! man! at least in thailand the motorbikes stay on the left (most of the time). here, its a complete free for all. they overtake on the right side of the fast lane, zig zag in and out like crazy, and the car drivers have no regard for anyone else on the road other than themselves!

aside from the driving, its great!

we are at the end of the rainy season now and high season is approaching (we have opposite seasons to phuket). flights are full and hotels are all geared up for a bumper season. bookings are way over last year already and it looks like Bali has finally bounced back after the bombings.