Where Can You Get Beigals Like Brick Lane

SirPaul

Try the Sheraton Royal Orchid bakery - any 5 star Hotel with a larger percentage of US guests will have a decent bagel available - remember a Bagel is only as good as it is fresh

My favorite breakfast when I was in New York - Bagel with cream cheese and Lox or smoked salmon - the only way to eat them in my humble oppinion since bagels are first cooked in boiling water and than baked and are quite chewy, asking for the creme cheese for flavor but also as a lubricant and since they are made without salt, the Lox handles the flavor part

John

Au Bon Pain bakes some decent ones, especially when fresh.

I completely agree...as a bagel lover, Au Bon Pain are about the best faux bagel I have found in LOS. They have just recently even started selling flavored (umm garlic) smears. But that tiny tiny dollop...you would need at least 10 of these to equal what one would get when ordering a bagel + smear in the USA! I do really like their double-cheese jalapeno bagels though.

One of the first things I do when I arrive back in San Francisco on visits is to visit a bagel shop and order a couple loaded with smears...heaven!

Edited by jonniebkk

Sandwich Shoppe in Phuket has excellent bagels, baked fresh every day. Atlantic lox and Philly readily available, capers and red onions on occasion. I started the Sandwich Shoppes specifically to have a latte and bagel every morning.

Of course I'm biased, but drop by and check it out. Apologies for the crass self-promotion, but I feel strongly about bagels.

Sandwich Shoppe in Phuket has excellent bagels, baked fresh every day. Atlantic lox and Philly readily available, capers and red onions on occasion. I started the Sandwich Shoppes specifically to have a latte and bagel every morning.

Of course I'm biased, but drop by and check it out. Apologies for the crass self-promotion, but I feel strongly about bagels.

Are you the shoppe in Chalong just down a door or two from Seebees diving?

I see that shop in the am when I go diving but seems like you are often closed when we leave early in the morning :o

I always end up with a fattening piece of carrot cake or a brownie from Sunrise Bakery rather than a fattening bagel with cream cheese :D

• 1 month later...
I think the bagels sold at Villa Supermarkets are about the closest in taste and texture to bagels made in the west.

I have tried them. They are not horrible but would be laughed off the streets of New York. They are definitely not boiled bagels but some non-boiled bagels can be good too (though strictly not authentic).