Now Even Discounted Thai Tickets Don't Count

Larry

Just got the Royal Orchid News from THAI, filled with bad news. The latest is that in a couple of months discounted international THAI tickets will no longer result in ANY miles or count toward Gold or Silver status.

Ten years ago, ROP was about the best Frequent Flier program in the world. The past five years have witnessed a downward spiral. First less than 100% or no miles at all on other Star Alliance partners, then less generous redemption rates, then discounted domestic restrictions, and now this. As a Gold Card holder who even uses his Thai AMEX to buy everything, this is a true downer. Time to look for other options. What do you all think?

Just got the Royal Orchid News from THAI, filled with bad news. The latest is that in a couple of months discounted international THAI tickets will no longer result in ANY miles or count toward Gold or Silver status.

Ten years ago, ROP was about the best Frequent Flier program in the world. The past five years have witnessed a downward spiral. First less than 100% or no miles at all on other Star Alliance partners, then less generous redemption rates, then discounted domestic restrictions, and now this. As a Gold Card holder who even uses his Thai AMEX to buy everything, this is a true downer. Time to look for other options. What do you all think?

Sorry to hear that - I switched from ROP to KrisFlyer several years ago (before I moved from BKK to Singapore) as the programme is better administered, the website lets you do online redemptions etc etc - the only disadvantage is that your Thai Amex spend probably can't be credited to a Kris Flyer account (I am guessing so ask).

However, down here at least there are lots of other bank cards now available that can all be credited to various airmile accounts, so I am sure you can find a way around this with a new credit card to go with your new FF account...

CC

Which ROP Newsletter is this information contained in? The most recent issue that I see posted on their website is Dec '07 - Feb '08.

Switch to Star Alliance Partner and just credit your miles to your chosen preference. :o

That brings up an interesting point. Is there any disadvantage to becoming Star Alliance Gold with one of the other Star Alliance carriers offering a more generous frequent flier program than Royal Orchid Plus, even if the bulk of your flying is with THAI?

There isn't much incentive to fly Thai these days. Their planes are old, their tickets overpriced and now this. Fortunately there are better alternatives.

Not that I can see, I am a gold member on UAL for example. I fly thai and get full credit for miles flown (any class, discounted or not), then bonus miles because of my elite tier status.

My own experience with this is within SkyTeam (I'm Northwest Platinum Elite). Same system-wide benefits. Only place where being a NW (rather than another SkyTeam carrier) member may be disadvantageous is when flying on another SkyTeam partner, I'm less likely to get an upgrade. But that happens so infrequently on international routes that it's hardly worth considering.

Asked a different way, is there any tangible benefit to be derived from being Royal Orchid Plus Gold that would be lost if one were say (as in britmaveric's case), UAL Gold?

The changes only affect those classes which in the past earned at 50% of actual mileage. All classes Q (3-month) and higher still earn 100%, so it's not going to affect me at all.

As for Skyteam - NW dropped me two classes from Platinum to Silver after I did not earn enough miles to reach Platinum or Gold status, despite the fact that I have been platinum for at least 7 years and earned more than 1 million miles with them (none from purchases of goods or using an NW credit card).

As a result, I have notified them already that I will no longer fly NW and will simply use up my banked miles. I can understand being dropped one class to Gold, which is more than fair for someone who has flown with them loyally for many years. But to be dropped two classes was too much.

Oh and by the way, you do NOT earn 100% regardless of class on NW. You earn 100% on Y/B, and nothing on other classes - which in fact is even worse than Thai's ROP.

Edited by onethailand

I have just checked the link above and it still gives the following from a couple of years ago.....???

If there is /was any truth in it I will be transfering to Tukish Airways instead...anyone tried or maybe one day Iraqi Air should they ever become members ......

Must have another read as they seem to be switching the goal posts with the hotel stays....was always 12 k a night..... :o

Class of Service-Actual Miles Flown

Economy Class – Y, B, M, H, Q, T, K, S-100%

Economy Class (discounted fares) V, W, G*-50%

Premium Economy Class-110%

Royal Silk Class-125%

Royal First Class-150% :D

Oh and by the way, you do NOT earn 100% regardless of class on NW. You earn 100% on Y/B, and nothing on other classes - which in fact is even worse than Thai's ROP.

Nonsense. Look at this chart.. Northwest rewards you with at least 100% mileage for all NW operated flights and generally the same for all other SkyTeam partners. You do need to be careful when flying on certain partners though as this is not always the case with some cheaper tickets.

I have just checked the link above and it still gives the following from a couple of years ago.....???

If there is /was any truth in it I will be transfering to Tukish Airways instead...anyone tried or maybe one day Iraqi Air should they ever become members ......

Must have another read as they seem to be switching the goal posts with the hotel stays....was always 12 k a night..... :o

Royal Silk Class-125%

It's behind "updates and reminders" http://www.tgexperience.com/enews_Mar_May2...QUEID=001148258 "Mileage Accrual Changes"

Edited by Crossy

I sympathize. What you are experiencing is happening on all Star Alliance partners. For example on AC if you fly a Tango (cheap fare) you only get 25% of the route miles. The airmiles are a major liability for airlines and they are trying to get rid of that.

I wised up 3 years ago with all my star alliance points (650,000) and cashed most of them in. Now down to 80,000 and couldn't care less, since seats are hard to get and there are viable alternatives. <deleted> need to understand that they are paying for those points when they fly on airlines. Have a good look at some of the airfares and it becomes obvious. I said F-it and switched to EVA Air. For fares between USD1800 and 3600 I can commute in a business class comparable to UAL & TG between BKK and LAX or SFO. Compare that to the TG & UAL fares. With the new 777 configs, the flights are comparable to some of the old equipment first class cabins on UAL & TG.

Basically the money I saved by switching to BR more than compensated me for the loss of my star alliance points. I need at least 5 round trips in J class on star alliance between LAX and BKK to get a free ticket. With an airfare that can be purchased at 1/2 the TG or UAL cost, I can get a "free" ticket after 1 BR flight.

I thought you had to be a Thai citizen to be eligible for the THAI Amex card. I get the documents in the mail but do not respond because I am not. Please confirm.

I thought you had to be a Thai citizen to be eligible for the THAI Amex card. I get the documents in the mail but do not respond because I am not. Please confirm.

No, I had a Thai Amex for several years and I am not a Thai citizen - Amex invited me to join, very shortly after I had qualified for a ROP Gold Card as I recall (did a lot of flying on business in & out of BKK then) - you will need to provide the usual proof of income but it's not too onerous and I guess you must already on their radar if they're sending you direct mailings...

CC

No, I had a Thai Amex for several years and I am not a Thai citizen - Amex invited me to join, very shortly after I had qualified for a ROP Gold Card as I recall (did a lot of flying on business in & out of BKK then) - you will need to provide the usual proof of income but it's not too onerous and I guess you must already on their radar if they're sending you direct mailings...

CC

Captain Chaos is right- if you have a work permit / and meet the income requirements, Amex Thailand will practically take your arm off to get you signed up.

Not that I can see, I am a gold member on UAL for example. I fly thai and get full credit for miles flown (any class, discounted or not), then bonus miles because of my elite tier status.

Sorry, that's not correct, suspect you may be suffering from some sort of altitude sickness?

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,,1194,00.html

V/W fares on TG accrue 50% on UA/MP, and no 2P/1P/1K elite status RDM bonus either on TG flights. I'd expect these zero credit fare buckets on TG to eventually show up on UA's list, it may take a few months.

More and more airlines are excluding the lower-priced economy fare buckets (QVWSKLT) from mileage accrual forcing pax to buy up. Hardly unexpected or novel; has been going on for the last five years or so.

The news from TG:

Mileage Accrual Changes

Effective July 1, 2008 travel on international flights with THAI on discounted Economy Class fares in booking classes G/V/W will no longer be eligible for mileage accrual or count towards tier status evaluations.

All other international paid Economy Class fares earn 100% of actual miles flown.

All paid Economy Class fares on THAI within Thailand continue to earn 500 minimum miles, except some promotional fares which may not be eligible for mileage accrual.

When booking with THAI or a travel agent, be sure to inquire if your paid fare is eligible to earn miles.

Yes they are certainly cutting back, as a Thai Gold I did not receive my usual birthday offers this year, not sure if that is because I now live in Thailand and not the UK>

Did you update your profile to your address in Thailand?

I still get something (also living in Thailand) but since 2 years the are also massively cutting back on these offers too.

It used to be a nice package including special deals with hotels, car rentals, etc. (although I never used them),

but best of it was a free round trip upgrade to the next class on any flight of your choice (even long-haul).

Now, the only thing I got was to redeem an award with 50% discount on the actual milage required during

the birthday month :o

Must have another read as they seem to be switching the goal posts with the hotel stays....was always 12 k a night..... :D

Royal Silk Class-125%

It's behind "updates and reminders" http://www.tgexperience.com/enews_Mar_May2...QUEID=001148258 "Mileage Accrual Changes"

Thanks...found it........................... :o

Nonsense. Look at this chart.. Northwest rewards you with at least 100% mileage for all NW operated flights and generally the same for all other SkyTeam partners. You do need to be careful when flying on certain partners though as this is not always the case with some cheaper tickets.

I've got it confused with eligibility for upgrade to a higher class. You are correct. That was one reason why I stopped flying them as often.

Thanks for the link.

Rinrada - those were the old terms for Thai, for sure. But I suspect you won't see that page updated until sometime after the new rules come into effect.

As for Amex Platinum Thai Airways - they are full of $#!T. After submitting tons of documentation, they told me they wanted to see 600K in monthly activity in my bank account. Not a 600K balance. When I asked them to permanently remove my name and address from any further mailing at any time in the future, they said they couldn't do it. Needless to say I told them if I ever received an invitation from them again that I would consider taking legal action against them.

Haven't received a mailing since. But I will be more than happy to get an invitation from them again so I can have a little fun at their expense.

As for Skyteam - NW dropped me two classes from Platinum to Silver after I did not earn enough miles to reach Platinum or Gold status, despite the fact that I have been platinum for at least 7 years and earned more than 1 million miles with them (none from purchases of goods or using an NW credit card).

As a result, I have notified them already that I will no longer fly NW and will simply use up my banked miles. I can understand being dropped one class to Gold, which is more than fair for someone who has flown with them loyally for many years. But to be dropped two classes was too much.

Update: To their credit, after I complained to Worldperks in Thailand, they took it up with the Asia Pacific HQ, and a week later they upgraded me to Gold Status. Does go to show that sometimes you need to raise the issue first.

Not sure if this link will work, it was an e-mailed copy of their latest news.

http://www.tgexperience.com/enews_Mar_May2...QUEID=001148258

Yes they are certainly cutting back, as a Thai Gold I did not receive my usual birthday offers this year, not sure if that is because I now live in Thailand and not the UK>

Believe the birthday awards for Gold are still on this year as when I booked an award ticket on my points a couple of weeks ago they suggested I wait until my birthday month for the usual 50% less points.

There isn't much incentive to fly Thai these days. Their planes are old, their tickets overpriced and now this. Fortunately there are better alternatives.

Totally agree comments on Thai. Thai used to be a 'Pemiership' airline but rapidly heading for the Bottom end of the 'Championship' division. I thought BKK-LON was a premier route so why all the new aircraft being allocated elsewhere? I'm going to use up my miles and start using other airlines even if they do not fly direct. I look forward to the day when Singapore Airlines 'Double Decker' starts the London route..definitely top Premiership airline!

The Best Care In The Air :D

Here are a few links to assist you with FF issues.

www.webflyer.com

http://www.united.com/page/middlepage/0,6823,1136,00.html

http://www.smartertravel.com/travel-advice...html?id=1293062

http://www.frequentflier.com/

http://www.article-gems.com/Article/Best-F...etermine-/23305

EVA and One World have always done me well on the FF programs. :o

:D