Usa Patriot Act, How Will It Affect Americans In Thail

threelegcowboy

I just had my first brush with the USA PATRIOT Act complications. I predict this is going to be a hot topic. I am now awaiting info from USA to try and formulate my plan. Have any of you experienced such a wall of restrictions that you cant not do business as usual? Bank restrictions etc? Or other restrictions? :o

I just had my first brush with the USA PATRIOT Act complications. I predict this is going to be a hot topic. I am now awaiting info from USA to try and formulate my plan. Have any of you experienced such a wall of restrictions that you cant not do business as usual? Bank restrictions etc? Or other restrictions? :o

SORRY ABOUT THE DOUBLE POST....THANKS FLOOD CONTROL!!!!

I have encountered banking restrictions but didn't make a direct connection with the Patriot Act.

The Patriot Act is a misnomer. It is more like the right wing American fascist act, where Americans voluntary surroundered their freedoms and constitutional freedoms in the name of fear of the Muslim boogey men. The terrorists won. We surrendered.

Edited by Jingthing

i typed a rather long response to your post but when i hit the reply button, my computer froze up and a black helicopter landed in front of my office. i escaped through the back door and am responding now from a top secret location underneath big buddha. lkjfaosdfdsase...............

I had a problem with Bof A in the U.S. I have 6 bank accts. & credit cards . Only B of A has not a clue.

The bank manager suspended my high limit credit card upon renewal stating that according to the Patriot act I in fact needed to have a Physical address in the U.S. before I departed & moved to Thailand.

I had in fact documents showing I had 3 statements to my fathers house & faxed them 2 times along with California state ID showing the statement & the ID matched.... They said it was to blurred to read. Long story short is there are some restrictions when it is time for a new card as B of A stated in the Patriot act. I flew down in June(about 4 months later) & straightened it out .

The branch manager was canned-My ex girlfriend of 7 years Daughter trained the dweeb & she had his ass when I went down. I was being very polite(although I was very distraught when he hung up on me several times.) Apparently there truly is a clause on Americans living in a foreign country getting credit & using it for illegal activities against the U.S. I'll let you figure which one.Lisa (my x's daughter)was present upon Mr. Jeri's's firing . for being discourteous & not knowing what he was doing as a bank manager. he had done this t a number of expats in other countries as well revealed in the closed meeting we had.

There is a huge group of gray areas in the Patriot act & I am certain once a new commander & chief is in Rep Or Dem (since it won't be independent) there will be some revisions. Capitol one also has issues as well with the way you report your address when your card expires. My other cards to give a rats ass about the pissant patriot act as it is clearly designed to shy away customers & piss them off! I am certain I am not the only one who has had a problem due to the Patriot act.

I'm not at all a sour grapes kinda guy by nature, but I was less than thrilled to have to fly back to take care of this acct. as I am not engaged in any way to any activities relating to 2001.

So there is a lot of room in the translation of the Patriot act to be desired. Had there have been no ridiculous pat act this would never been an issue.

I had a problem because my main bank failed. I could not open a new account with another bank without returning to the US (for most banks- I eventually opened a Zions Bank account with no problem). They won't mail ATM cards overseas anymore either, in most cases, so I had to stay in NY to get mine. Also to activate the card you have to call from your local listed LAN line, not a mobile, not a Skype number. Ridiculous.

BoA not having a clue is not the result of the Patriot Act.

I recall when I lived in USA that they were terrible, and every dealing with every American bank subsequently has shown me that this is typical of the banking system there.

I've had similar sagas enough times and finally said no mas and cancelled my american banking arrangements a few years back.

BoA not having a clue is not the result of the Patriot Act.

I recall when I lived in USA that they were terrible, and every dealing with every American bank subsequently has shown me that this is typical of the banking system there.

I've had similar sagas enough times and finally said no mas and cancelled my american banking arrangements a few years back.

Steve I do agree with you. B of A sucks on every level!

I like your avatar!

No issues here with any of my US bank accounts, BOA included. Most of my withdrawals and wire transfers are to Thailand and Singapore. I do maintain my US address though, so no issues with replacement debit cards and the like.

:o

About 6 years ago when I set up a po box in US and tied all my credit cards etc it was easy and straightforward. Now I want to change a po box address back in the states to another po box and have run into restrictions on doing this. I dont want to make a trip to straighten this out. Something about can not have a po box for my bank account. Its like a house of cards falling apart. I am waiting to see how many of these change of address request fail.

I dont want to get into solving my personal finance on this form. I would like to know if others have had simular problems. :o

It is 100 percent true that many banks and credit cards will not accept box numbers as an address. I don't think this is related to the Patriot Act but not sure about that. Some of the mail forwarding services allow you to call your "box" a "suite" but do you really think many banks will be fooled by that for very long? My solution is to use a friend's address but not sure what I will do if that arrangement sours.

Edited by Jingthing

Even though I despise the Democratic Party's politics, I think the USAPATRIOT Act (The Uniting and Strengthening of America by Providing Appropriate Tools Required to Intercept and Obstruct Terrorism Act) is an affront to the Founding Fathers of the good ol' USofA.

To quote Benjamin Franklin: "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

GunnyD

The Patriot Act is a misnomer. It is more like the right wing American fascist act,

Jeeezus ... where do you get this vomit-inducing drivel?

The original Patriot Act originated in the House was approved overwhelmingly by the House 357-66 with 9 not voting. The House Democrat Party vote was 145-62 in favor. The actual Senate roll call was 98-1 in favor of the approved House bill with 1 not voting. The Democrat vote 48-1 in favor.

Hardly indicative of a "right wing American facist act" by any stretch ........................

It is only being questioned during renewal times because it is politically convenient to do so for electioneering purposes.

As far as the OP goes, I'm a libertarian and I don't want the government f**king around in my lifestyle any more that I have to, but it seems to me if you ain't doin' nuthin' wrong, then you have very very little to worry about with the Patriot Act.

As far as the banks meddling in the affairs of or making like more difficult for American expatriates, I couldn't agree more. The banks deserve a certain amount of the blame because expats are a small part of the biz, so they get a small part of the attention. But the real blame goes to the IRS, whose rules and reg's for those living overseas, and especially those doing medium to large cash transactions overseas, have made life much more difficult than it needs to be. If you want the banks to lighten up, then get the politicians to ease up on the federal regulation. (fat chance as those two entities are entirely inbred).

I had a problem because my main bank failed. I could not open a new account with another bank without returning to the US (for most banks- I eventually opened a Zions Bank account with no problem). They won't mail ATM cards overseas anymore either, in most cases, so I had to stay in NY to get mine. Also to activate the card you have to call from your local listed LAN line, not a mobile, not a Skype number. Ridiculous.

I just received here in Bangkok my new Visa gold card via FedEX and I activated it calling a 800 number thru my computer NetToPhone hook up.

i typed a rather long response to your post but when i hit the reply button, my computer froze up and a black helicopter landed in front of my office. i escaped through the back door and am responding now from a top secret location underneath big buddha. lkjfaosdfdsase...............

Sayitaintso,,, we got you on tape.

I just had my first brush with the USA PATRIOT Act complications. I predict this is going to be a hot topic. I am now awaiting info from USA to try and formulate my plan. Have any of you experienced such a wall of restrictions that you cant not do business as usual? Bank restrictions etc? Or other restrictions? :D

i would never wear a turtleneck!

I just had my first brush with the USA PATRIOT Act complications. I predict this is going to be a hot topic. I am now awaiting info from USA to try and formulate my plan. Have any of you experienced such a wall of restrictions that you cant not do business as usual? Bank restrictions etc? Or other restrictions? :D

i would never wear a turtleneck!

.... with a jacket!

The original Patriot Act originated in the House was approved overwhelmingly by the House 357-66 with 9 not voting. The House Democrat Party vote was 145-62 in favor. The actual Senate roll call was 98-1 in favor of the approved House bill with 1 not voting. The Democrat vote 48-1 in favor.

The name of the current majority party in the House and the Senate (and soon the white house as well) is the DEMOCRATIC party. Got it? Don't forget it. Not democrat. Democratic.

True, the DEMOCRATIC party caved in to the fear and bald faced LIES of LIAR Bush and the majority at the time of the vote, people who actually propogandized our people that we were attacked by Iraq. That is all history and it is time to correct it. Your hero, Bush, had the opportunity to capitalize on the sympathy of the world after 911 and also to unite our country. Instead, he resorted to fear mongering and lies, dividing our country even more, and creating a new generation of people who hate us all over the world. This cancer needs to be cut out, your sick war fascist fear party of the rich, against health care for our own people, needs to be marginalized to include its only valid base, fascist holy rollers who want to execute gays under bible law and also the greedy super rich who want to continue to benefit from republican welfare for the rich.

BTW, the very name Patriot Act, is the type of name only a fascist would come up with. The implication is that if you are against the Patriot Act, you are an enemy of the state. Typical classic fascist tactic.

Back to credit cards, if you are unable to verify your new card with the number on record, is there any other way of doing so with a customer service person by answering security questions?

Edited by Jingthing

True, the DEMOCRATIC party caved in to the fear and bald faced LIES of LIAR Bush and the majority at the time of the vote,

The Demcrats caved in to what all politicians cave in to. That being the desire not to lose future votes. Bush was sportin a 70% + approval rating at the time and they were afraid of being on the wrong side at their next campaign run. Now that the polls have cjanged in the other direction, they sway with it. Hats off to the handful that did vote with their conscious at that time. The rest would sell their mother into sex slavery if it meant winning their next election.