Thaksin lands at Suvarnabhumi and taken to court

george

Just watched on CNN, that when asked if he would ever return to politics, his exact words were

'No way. Never.' Let's wait and see just how big a 2 faced liar he really is.

REMEMBER THESE WORDS...

'NO WAY. NEVER.'

We'll see.

Edited by Big A

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a brave man .

A brave man !! I don't think so. He wouldn't have come back in a million years if he wasn't sure the deck was already stacked in his favour.

To think he'd risk a long term in jail by coming back here is foolish thinking in my view.

I agree absolutely.

Thaksin told reporters, ``I believe in the Thai justice system, especially the court system.

If peasants sell there vote for a swill of whisky or a mobile phone top-up card, then, yes i do think they should lose the right to vote. :D

If Farangs were able to Vote 99% would vote for Thaksin if he allowed them to own land and have easy Visa's.

Still think people that think they would benefit should not have the right to vote?

Hey, like i said, if people sell there vote they should have the voting right removed. I also think peoples votes could be graded on education, say someone who left school without a diploma, vote is worth half a point, left with diploma then vote is worth 1 point, university degree, vote worth 1.5 points, masters 2 points. Something along those lines.

Just got back from the 'welcome home Thaksin' party in my poor village full of northern peasants. Everyone was having a great time celebrating. Funny but I counted at least 7 graduates and they're just the ones I know about. There wasn't any vote buying here though - it would have been a waste of money because virtually everyone voted PPP anyway.

By the way, hasn't Thaksin got a doctorate? How many votes would that give him :o

I respect Thaksin, not as a leader, but as a money-maker.

I dont understand why he decided to come back to the country, nor do I care much about the politic, but I can never imagine him living in jail. There's no way he can be in jail, what can a politic party that begs others for money to fund their activity do against a political party who is funded by Thaksin.

Interesting move by Thaksin, and I am a spectator who wants to see how far the Coalition against Thaksin can go.

If you consider the brushes that Doctor Thaksin has had with THailands legal system prior to entering politics, his career in the Police, subsequent stewardship of this country, family business growth and and influence on this governments current political makeup....... his acquital is a slam-dunk.

Anyone who seriously believes there is even the remotest chance of the good Doctor spending more than the requisite time 'explaining' and being forgiven for his unintentional transgressions has my sympathy for their acute mental problems.

Any attempt to prosecute and put him in custody would cause riots and mayhem - not to mention the people he would drag down with him.

Nah - he will be reborn as 'senior statesman' after the appropriate period of grace, pulling strings, situation normal.

IMHO, of course.

I dont know a lot about Thai politics and I view this and the events preceding more out of curiousity than anything. however, there seems to be a number of Farang on the forum who are able to work themselves up into a real passion over all this. Is it genuine? If so, what is the motivation? Did any of the parties at election give any hint of proposing policy beneficial to expats?

By the way, hasn't Thaksin got a doctorate?

Well, have you heard him speak in English? So, he bought a doctorate, big deal.

I have had taxi drivers in Singapore who had better English skills than this filthy rich criminal. He is about as useless as rubber lips on a woodpecker. He will likely cause more trouble for Thailand than any of us can imagine.

Of course there are thousands of supporters. They are like his paid fan club.

In so far as....they are organised by event organisers, many are paid and they get a nice trip to the city.

Exactly the same as the first flight to the new airport prior to him getting kicked out of power (yes, I was sadly there right behind the great man, as we listened to the paid mob from Udon I think it was that time, chanting 'Thaksin su su').

They came....because they were bused in 8 hours to enjoy a day at the new airport where most will never fly to or from.

Yes, there are thousands who love him enough; millions in fact, who love him enough to welcome him home. Good for him.

There are also millions who want to see a fair trial.

Anyone who thinks that there is no evidence the TRT were guilty, and specifically Thaksin and his family were guilty, or personal illegal enrichment during the TRT years needs their f&*King head read. Coup or no coup, the evidence is fairly complete to at least suspect and go to trial. Whether the key witnesses and judges can be swayed.....well to say he is not guilty of anything is about on par with saying that Chalerm's sons have never done anything wrong as they never seem to get found guilty.

Or are you going to do a 'Jutamas' and claim that even though an American court of law virtually accuses her of receiving a bribe, that she is in fact completely not guilty????! 555555555555555555555555555555555

''If you don't want to listen to other people opinion, don't.....

That opinion is not from me, but rather in general how ppl sees it.....

You sound like you do not know what you are talking about .... you are.''

- even the most ardent TRT/PPP backbenchers i know have never said anything like this - they have said Chuan was inept, that he was too honest to trust his cabinet, that he was too stupid to communicate well - but I have never ever heard a single person ever suggest such a thing!

my favourite has always been the TRT claim that they sold out to the evil foreigners.....then TRT promptly got into power and sold off everything they could lay their hands on....they would have also sold off TOT and CAT and EGAT if they could have. to themselves, to foreigners...whoever. Thai rak Thai indeed....more like Thai ruk kwai.

At least the kwai had a nice trip to the new airport today ;-) to greet his new master. Had a good time Chalerm????!

AMEN!!!

Hey, like i said, if people sell there vote they should have the voting right removed. I also think peoples votes could be graded on education, say someone who left school without a diploma, vote is worth half a point, left with diploma then vote is worth 1 point, university degree, vote worth 1.5 points, masters 2 points. Something along those lines.

I assume that you are pulling people's chains?

Got to be Toady. Got to be :D

It wouldn't be a bad idea in the UK though. :o

Presumably those without a vote wouldn't have to pay any taxes?

I would think that many TV members would like to see him back as long as he rolls back the changes in the immigration laws.

From the look of his return you know he has to have some great PR people. I can picture them playing "Wind Beneath My Wings" in the background.

Although of course being that TRT were the party that:

- increased all visa costs and changed many visa requirements causing workers to complain (the legit ones)

- began the clamp down on illegal teacher degrees

- opened the gates for nominee property ownership and then stamped down on it in resort areas after they had sold their own plots (it is widely known that much of the resort development in resort areas was and still is controlled by the TRT heavyweights

- introduced social order

- had a genuine mandate to do what they wanted, and based their political stance on THAI RAK THAI (as they were selling out the country assets to themselves and to foreigners) then proceeded to change nothing with regards to foreign immigration law to make life easier for TV members....

how likely do you think it really is that with all that above we will see a significant change for treating foreigners now????

Some of you may well rue the day that Thaksin returned; you lot are one of the most convenient targets because every Isaan villager can understand the idea that the evil rich farang have screwed the country buying everything up while he was away....and now you lot are going to pay!

[edited to delete reference to globalisation - if you want to see the Grant Thornton quote, look it up - Thai companies used to be scared of globalisation (threat) and now increasingly so to the piont Thailand now rates very poorly in this regard of considering globalisation as a threat rather than an opportunity - so much for building free market economy!]

Edited by steveromagnino

It's not the people in Issan that are holding back Thailand, it's more like the educated Elite who are doing that by keeping the North East poor and uneducated, so they can pilfer the coffers for their own gain.

Oh, you mean the guys they just voted in? Don't confuse them with "elite", though.

PRD director general transferred

Public Relations Department's chief Pramote Rathavinit was transferred to an inactive post in the PM's Office Ministry, PM's Office Minister Jakrapob Penkair said Thursday.

Jakraob announced the transfer just hours after ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra returned home from self-exile.

Jakrapob said Pramote will oversee in the formation of Asian TV.

It was widely known that the department did not take side with Thaksin when he was ousted in a coup two years ago.

Source: The Nation - 28 February 2008

Thaksin kisses the grounds of his motherland

I hope it was sincere, but most importantly that it left a long lasting impression on him. Hope he remembers it when the time comes to tell his supporters not to resort to confrontation and violence.

He can have his money back, and he can leave the rest of this days peacefully and away from politics. That's all. He can fly to England to take care of his club.

If he stays within these boundaries, Thailand can finally move forward.

He should lower price His GSM for Thai. :o

I kinda like him att the beginging, concerning about 30 baths for hospital for all sickness. Former politicains couldn't lift up life quality to common folk that 's much as he did.

But concernning of he ran Thailand for his own wealthy the most more money, that is so sad. Was he offer a huge assume to some fomer politicians i Sweden too? regarding about Eriksson staff. How it will be Wish Thailand become a democratik for real, with a good politician who serv the land and do his duty.

I dont know a lot about Thai politics and I view this and the events preceding more out of curiousity than anything. however, there seems to be a number of Farang on the forum who are able to work themselves up into a real passion over all this. Is it genuine? If so, what is the motivation? Did any of the parties at election give any hint of proposing policy beneficial to expats?

Have to agree with you, NovaBlue. I find many of the farang comments on Thai politics rather stupid and, I'm sure, very offensive to our "hosts" here in The Land of Smile. Those who complain about voting for 'charisma' and 'big money' determining the victor are not being honest about their own elections back home. Best example of charisma, corruption, "the best that money can buy" etc. determining political outcomes is the dear old U.S. of A.! What a horrible mess the 'educated' electorate of America has provided for the past several decades!!! With a corporate controlled media and multi-million campaign chests, the only real choice the American voter ever has is whichever he/she deems as "not quite as bad as the other" (I hope, I hope). At least Thailand still has free press and multiple candidates to choose from.

I hope the Thais are able to work things out together...America has gone 'down the tubes' so I'd much rather be able to live here in relative peace and stay out of Thailand's politics! TIT

Peace :o

PRD director general transferred

Public Relations Department's chief Pramote Rathavinit was transferred to an inactive post in the PM's Office Ministry, PM's Office Minister Jakrapob Penkair said Thursday.

Jakraob announced the transfer just hours after ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra returned home from self-exile.

Jakrapob said Pramote will oversee in the formation of Asian TV.

It was widely known that the department did not take side with Thaksin when he was ousted in a coup two years ago.

Source: The Nation - 28 February 2008

Lol I see trouble and how stupid mob will start their stupid mob again.

Thailand is no better than Malaysia to me now.

Edited by Seizhin

my guess on why anti-thaksin elements didn't continue their goal of crucifying thaksin..

they found out through their research that the TRUE liar was sonthi limthongkul. when they found this out, they were devastated by the realization. this man who is a member of their own group was more corrupt than thaksin could ever be.

the fact that they only gave sonthi limthongkul a small sentence for his crimes shows how shocked they were.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sondhi_Limthongkul

Although of course being that TRT were the party that:

- increased all visa costs and changed many visa requirements causing workers to complain (the legit ones)

- began the clamp down on illegal teacher degrees

- opened the gates for nominee property ownership and then stamped down on it in resort areas after they had sold their own plots (it is widely known that much of the resort development in resort areas was and still is controlled by the TRT heavyweights

- introduced social order

- had a genuine mandate to do what they wanted, and based their political stance on THAI RAK THAI (as they were selling out the country assets to themselves and to foreigners) then proceeded to change nothing with regards to foreign immigration law to make life easier for TV members....

Some Thai insurgents may say that under a female leadership, the rampant corruption within Thai bureaucratic departments would cease to exist... what say you?

Thaksin and his cronies have raped and pillaged Thailand... so say some, and others want to feed at the same trough, but have been denied. Thus... the current situation.

Do you see a strong female leadership in the wings? Or... denied?

Before boarding the plane in Hong Kong, Thaksin told reporters, ``I believe in the Thai justice system, especially the court system. Normally in justice systems everywhere, a person is innocent until proved guilty.'' Normally ah! Except for the war on drugs campaign those poor suckers didn't need to be proven guilty.

People, remember that Thaksin is facing no legal charges against him.

Which is why he was taken straight to court, do not pass Go, upon arrival.

The allegations by the Generals in the junta-appointed ASC are a complete farce to justify the pillaging by the military in the last 19 months.

15-16 months, surely ?

Not that Thaksin didn't do anything wrong; everyone does something wrong. But with enemies like Thaksin has, he can't be all bad!

Famous last words.

Edited by Ricardo

Regarding "you have drug on your hand" Ummmm well, hows this for appitizers, then we can bring on the main course...

New Fear of Illegal Killings in Thailand Coincides with Thaksin's Return, Says Amnesty International

WASHINGTON, DC - February 27 - As former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra returns from exile to face corruption charges in Thailand, Amnesty International calls on the Thai government to end another aspect of his legacy: illegal killings in the "war on drugs."

At least 2,500 people were killed between February and May 2003 as part of former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra's campaign against drug trafficking. Yet according to recent public findings by a special committee set up by the military government in 2007, more than 1,000 of the victims had little or no connection to the drugs trade. Despite these findings, as well as evidence of written instructions by senior government officials to use heavy-handed tactics during the campaign, not a single government or police official has been brought to account for the killings in 2003. "It is almost inconceivable that such a large number of killings could go on without a single prosecution, especially when a government committee found that at least 1,000 were utterly innocent," said Catherine Baber, Amnesty International's Asia-Pacific program director. "Impunity on that scale indicates that the Thai government places very little value on the rule of law or on the lives of its citizens." Amnesty International is gravely concerned that five years after the first "war on drugs," Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej is preparing a new campaign against drug trafficking, which may facilitate further extrajudicial killings of drug trafficking suspects by state security forces. In February 2008, Prime Minister Sundaravej publicly stated that "When the crackdown [on drugs] is underway, killings will take place … extrajudicial killings do occur." This statement not only recalls the Thaksin government's 'license to kill'-style of drugs enforcement, when black lists and monthly targets were used as official policies for cutting the number of drug dealers, it is also an indication that the Prime Minister is preparing Thai citizens for a new wave of unlawful killings. It appears a cynical attempt to preempt both domestic and international criticism. It also represents a disturbing acceptance of unlawful behavior and excessive use of force by state authorities and a lack of political will to prevent further illegal killings. "The Prime Minister is now preparing another war on drugs, adding insult to injury to a situation in which crimes against humanity may have occurred," stated Baber. "The Prime Minister went on to say that police officers responsible for illegal killings would face legal consequences, yet these assurances ring hollow in view of the record to date," added Baber. For several years, Amnesty International has expressed concern about the killings of drug trafficking suspects by the security forces in Thailand. The organization calls on the Thai government to immediately send a message to all law enforcement officials that deadly force can only be used when strictly unavoidable to protect life. Thai authorities should also initiate independent, impartial, effective and immediate investigations into all extrajudicial killings in 2003, and ensure that any renewed effort against the drugs trade is conducted in a way that respects human rights and the rule of law.

absolutelybangkok.com has a good writeup of the events, as always ...

Some speak of a triumphal political comeback of Thaksin, others say he can't take his hands off power.

Taking a wild guess I gather that he has a feeling that the country has somewhat changed without him.

Probably the key to understanding why so many Farang loathe Taksin is because they hold him responsible for making the bars close early!

In my village in the north everyone is happy that he is back and say they would like to go see him....they joke about going to Bangkok to see him but they really don't have the time or want to spend the money and they know if they went to Bangkok they probably wouldn't see him anyway.

Chownah