Do You Tip In Bangkok?

stbahng

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It depends on the establishment and the service.

Bellboys - I slip them a 20 baht note for a single bag that I could have handled myself, 40 baht if they handled a couple.

Food & Drink - typically a service charge of 10% is added on. If so, just leave the coins or coins plus 20 baht. Otherwise, 10% tip is in order. If service has been exceptional, by all means tip more. And as someone once explained to me, the golden rule is if you plan on coming back, tip generously. He was so right.

Taxis - Customarily I let them keep the coin change, so if a trip was 131 baht, I'll give 140 baht. That said, if the chap has taken me home at 2 a.m. and will have to drive miles back towards town, I'll give an extra 40 baht. No big deal, but they seem to be happy so I guess it covers their fuel cost.

Haircuts - I do not normally tip here, but I have seen Thais giving 20-40 baht to the shampoo girl, and perhaps the same to the one who cut their hair. Little expertise here :o but I would guess if the lady has had the works done for a couple of hours she would tip more.

But don't get hung up on this. Thais are pretty easy going on this issue, unlike in the States where you can get serious grief if you do not tip appropriately.

Yes I tip, and it is nice to see people appreciated!

If I go to the restaurant I am use to, 20 to 40 baht to each staff serving (about 2) manager 50 baht, for the restaurant bill 60 baht, sometime to the kitchen. Car parking attendance 20 baht (that about 10 % of the bill)

My hairdresser, she is a nice person, use scissor not electric razor, cost 70 baht, I give her 100 baht

Taxi, depends, I live minimum 10 baht, can be more, like if it is 4 pm in Siam, and one take me with a smile.

The person who wash my dog and staff of the vet clinic, get sometime some free cocky.

At the post office Chinese New Year, I did bring them some stuff.

My postman get tip once a year!

Well, perhaps no other Thai do same, but make me happy, for small consideration and appreciation.

My Chinese friend go to temple for old people and they are all site down ( about 70 ) and he pass to each of them 20 baht.

i saw some people demanding the best service and living 5 baht, i am glad not to be them !

We tip and tip about 10 percent... unless the service is not grade A... and even then we tip 20 baht. I used to tip 10-20 percent for just about everything normal.... meals, luggage, bar tab... When I got married my wife at first insisted on paying only 20 baht if anything at all. I didnt feel comfortable with this but I slid my tipping down to 10 percent at least. Well my Wife started to see all the positive reactions on peoples faces.. now she feels guilty if she leaves just 20 baht... Its up to you.. really ... if you are living on thai wages.. keep your money as you will need it. If you are from outside Thailand visiting I would tip at least 10 percent. Locals whether they are Thai or Farang are feeling the bite of increased prices and their salary not matching the increases.

From what I understand, Thais generally do not tip.

So my question is do you tip in Bangkok?

If you do;

When?

and

How much?

In the States I normally tip 10 to 20% based on the service.

Any thoughts?

This is what I do :-

Restaurants even if service charges have been added if the service is good, and and intend to come back, usually not more than 100 to 200 baht on a 2 to 3000 baht meal. less than 500 usually 20 to 40 baht.

Taxis usually round up to the nearest multiple of 20 ie 35 then give 40, 70 then give 90, unless rush hour then I might round up to nearest 100 ie 7o then give 100

Hair cuts usually round up to the nearest 100, ie 250 then give 300 because my hair dresser is especially gentle and takes her time

Guards at the condo , I usually give each one a hamper from Tops value 1500 to 2000 baht, there are 3 guards

The maids employed at the office. I usually give each one 1000 baht at Christmas and Songkhran because the run errands and pay bills for more get me coffee etc throughout the year.

My company driver. I give him 5000 baht at Christmas and Songkhran

My maid at home I give her 5000 at Christmas.

All the Thais I go out to dinner and lunch with tip but maybe only coins not notes, same with taxis

From what I understand, Thais generally do not tip.

So my question is do you tip in Bangkok?

If you do;

When?

and

How much?

In the States I normally tip 10 to 20% based on the service.

Any thoughts?

I tip like the Thai do. "When in Rome...."

I think we foreigner's have messed up their culture enough already. The Thai attitudes in the tourist areas are unbelievably bad and reminds me of the food servers in the States. Especially when it comes to tips.

If the tip is included on the bill....nothing extra.

If not on the bill, typically I will leave 20Bht if dinner for 2, small change if dinner for 1.

With that said, I avoid tourist areas. The tip is usually included on the bill anyway.

Taxi drivers...round it up to the next 5 baht. 10 baht if the guys was exceptional.

What about Thai massage?

How much do you uasually tip?

I've been tipping about 50% but my Thai girlfreind doesn't.

Am I tipping too much?

This one is maybe a little difficult to give a firm answer. One time my best friend's Thai wife took me for a foot reflexology that cost I think 200 baht, and she asked me to tip the masseur 200 baht because the place that we went to keeps the full fee, and the masseurs survive on the tips given.

If no such system, then I think 50% is pretty OK. When I go for a foot massage, the fee is usually 250 baht and I will tip the lady 200 baht, unless I do not get a good strong massage. A bit high I know, but I go to the same place regularly and I think it makes a difference. Plus, I am not having a massage everyday or even every week, so if it makes some lady who is working hard for a living happy, why not?

I earn a good salary so can afford to tip well. if service is good I will give at least 10%, thats good money if the bill is 7k. I tip the girl who cuts my hair 200 baht each time, that garantees me I am next on the seat, no matter if there was a que before me, hehe. taxi drivers normaly get40 baht tip if they drive well, if not I will stil let them keep the small change. the only people I dont tip are the bar girls, I normally give them the whole lenght....

When I first got here I used to tip 100baht for most things but my wife has now put a stop to that. Now I am allowed to tip the following:

Roadside resturants: Nothing or the coins

Taxis: the same

Hairdressers: Nothing

Massage: 100 baht

Good resturants: 10% at the most

Bellboys: 20baht

This, she tells me, is the Thai way. So I go with it though when I am out on my own I am more generous/western :o

I generally don't tip when I am in BKK. The only times that I do is I slip a 20 to the guy who puts the groceries into the back of the taxi. I give the security at the apartment I stay at 500-1000 when I leave depending on how long I stayed.

I also tip the wheelchair attendants 100 and porters 100 at the airport. That's about it.

I tried to do the American style tipping the first time I visited BKK. I wondered why most of the taxi drivers where giving me change. One time I left 15baht over the meter and the driver got out of the cab to give me my change. After that I read up on the subject and found out that tips are not expected. Restaurants include a service fee etc. It was right in my travel guide from the Chaopraya Park Hotel

The only time I get pestered about tips is when I get a Thai that speaks decent English. They seem to want to take advantage. I try to avoid them especially taxi drivers that try to chat me up. I take that as a warning to stay away, scam coming.

I earn a good salary so can afford to tip well. if service is good I will give at least 10%, thats good money if the bill is 7k. I tip the girl who cuts my hair 200 baht each time, that garantees me I am next on the seat, no matter if there was a que before me, hehe. taxi drivers normaly get40 baht tip if they drive well, if not I will stil let them keep the small change. the only people I dont tip are the bar girls, I normally give them the whole lenght....

I don't really think what you "can afford" is the point. Over-paying, in trips or otherwise, upsets the economy. Example: a friend who's apartment contract was coming to an end was told by the owner, I have a japanese client who will pay twice what you pay . . . . my friend had to move.

The more we tip, the more they will expect. If its included in the bill, don't tip. I round up things like taxi fares.

BTW if you tip 200 for a haircut - what does the actual haircut cost?? I pay 60 baht.

G

I don't really think what you "can afford" is the point. Over-paying, in trips or otherwise, upsets the economy. Example: a friend who's apartment contract was coming to an end was told by the owner, I have a japanese client who will pay twice what you pay . . . . my friend had to move. Sounds like a good business move to me - for the landlord that is.

The more we tip, the more they will expect. If its included in the bill, don't tip. I round up things like taxi fares.

BTW if you tip 200 for a haircut - what does the actual haircut cost?? I pay 60 baht.

G

I always tip, probably comes from spending a considerable amount of time in countries where tipping is fully expected. If service is good I tip well & will continue doing so - I don't care what other people think.

What about Thai massage?

How much do you uasually tip?

I've been tipping about 50% but my Thai girlfreind doesn't.

Am I tipping too much?

Yes, you are tipping way too much. I used to date a massage girl and they make really good money for an uneducated worker.

I once gave a 50b tip for a massage. She insisted I give her 100b. She kept asking and asking and pestering me all the way to the door. I said "You want 100baht? OK, give me the 50." When she gave it back I said, "Don't ask for money like that. It makes you look bad.

She got nothing.

We tip and tip about 10 percent... unless the service is not grade A... and even then we tip 20 baht. I used to tip 10-20 percent for just about everything normal.... meals, luggage, bar tab... When I got married my wife at first insisted on paying only 20 baht if anything at all. I didnt feel comfortable with this but I slid my tipping down to 10 percent at least. Well my Wife started to see all the positive reactions on peoples faces.. now she feels guilty if she leaves just 20 baht... Its up to you.. really ... if you are living on thai wages.. keep your money as you will need it. If you are from outside Thailand visiting I would tip at least 10 percent. Locals whether they are Thai or Farang are feeling the bite of increased prices and their salary not matching the increases.

My (Thai) wife tips like crazy! Massage 150 baht - tip 100 baht. Taxi 75 baht - give 100. She tips at least 10% in restaurants plus an extra 100 for our waiter. When we go back to her home town she gives money to everyone. She never bargains on price (I can get a better deal myself!), usually when she picks something up to buy it she doesn't even know the price.

'Normal' Thais see her coming a mile away and we often get into fights when I refuse to buy something because it is so obviously overpriced, or if I refuse to tip because the service/massage was bad.

'When I marry you, I think you rich man, now I know you VERY poo' (*keep a straight face*)

Sometimes I think I should just quit my job and become an English teacher...

It's strange, because most Thai women I meet will scrutinize the bill, not give tips, bargain on price. My wife is the exact opposite.

I do agree that if the service is good tip one should tip and i do it myself all the time. The thing is that it should be done in the limits the locals do or bit more.

But handing out 100 baht notes to taxi drivers and bellboys is just too much. I don't care if you spoil it for us farangs who mostly can afford it. But same time you spoil it for the locals already feeling the effect of ever rising living costs especially in BKK.

For me it's not the % from your bill, also consider the income levels. Doubt that back home many of us would tip $200 for haircut :o

Also one should keep in mind that you make most of the local feel offended or at least embarrased by these out of scale tips especially if done in public and in "falang way" with much noise and flashing out the contents of your elephant skin wallet for all to see. And i don't blame them, i would feel offended if someone would treat me like a beggar in frot of my mates. Most likely would also save some "face" by shoving it up to yr a*** as the taxi driver did for gunnyd...

My (Thai) wife tips like crazy! Massage 150 baht - tip 100 baht. Taxi 75 baht - give 100. She tips at least 10% in restaurants plus an extra 100 for our waiter. When we go back to her home town she gives money to everyone. She never bargains on price (I can get a better deal myself!), usually when she picks something up to buy it she doesn't even know the price.

'Normal' Thais see her coming a mile away and we often get into fights when I refuse to buy something because it is so obviously overpriced, or if I refuse to tip because the service/massage was bad.

'When I marry you, I think you rich man, now I know you VERY poo' (*keep a straight face*)

Sometimes I think I should just quit my job and become an English teacher...

It's strange, because most Thai women I meet will scrutinize the bill, not give tips, bargain on price. My wife is the exact opposite.

No worries, once you quit your job and spend your savings she will find someone else to finance her tipping.

You could also opt for the much faster one time payment method by building a nice big house in her home town and register it in her name. That would see you being free man in matter of months :o

I find that Thailand and The Philippines are pretty much the same when it comes to tipping. The first time I visited my better half's family, I treated them all to dinner.22107413829261l.jpg22107521032962l.jpg

I go and leave a 10% tip, I figured I was being cheap considering the standard in the US, and they came back with my Amex and the check and told my wife it was too much. I wrote about a 700 peso tip, and when I asked what was appropriate they told me 20 pesos 50 at the most.

As you can see it was a big dinner. I was generous and left 50 PHP 80 US cents at the time.

They don't get many American's in Cebu City, so I don't think they are clued in on American style tipping. It depends though in BKK because they are more exposed to farangs and getting big tips from them, then they come to expect it.

Why tip a bell boy that carries your bag? Is it not their job to do that?

Restaurants people are paid extremely little as the owner factor tip in the income.

Car park attendances are not on salary

Bellboy not sure, minimum wage or no wage at all

For traditional massage, you should tip 50 baht per hour of service. 100 if you want to be especially nice but make sure it is a reward for really good service. If you tip 100 in full view of everyone else, the next time you go there they will expect 100 baht so tip at the door.

Restaurants - if 10% service charge, I might leave the coins. If no service charge, up to 10% depending on quality of service. Up to 20% only if really, really exceptional.

Hairdressers - I have a feeling 20-40 is standard but I usually give 50. After all, if you go back and get someone who feels you gave too little of a tip, who knows what they will do to your hair the next time!

Taxis - mostly up to you, for me it's the nearest 5-10 baht for short trips. Trips to nearby provinces always 100 baht plus a bottle of energy drink at the petrol station.

Bellboys - 20 per time (but then I usually don't have more than one piece). Probably could consider that 20 baht per large piece.

Guards at the condo - lots of 3 in 1 coffee 2-3x a year seems to make them quite happy.

I remember this one girl at the Best Western Bang Tao Beach in Phuket who bore the brunt of my irritation once... she always smiled at me when she saw me anyhow. At the end of the trip I called her aside, gave her 200 baht and told her not to share it with anyone else because none of them deserved it. For this you need to tell them to "put in pocket" or "sai krapao tua eng". I will probably never go back to that hotel again but if I do it will only be because of this girl's constant smile (or maybe to hire her myself).

Edited by onethailand