Nappies - What Are Your Latest Comments

torrenova

My daughter has used Mami Poko nappies since birth moving through new born, small and now onto medium at 7 1/2 months old. We spotted the pants a while ago and thought we'd get some to try.

Now she fits them ok and is above halfway up their size range but whilst I think they are great in one part, they let themselves down in two others. Firstly, they sometimes eak out the back after she "has a number two" if you don't catch it immediately whereas the nappies rarely did. Secondly, when you rip them to take them off, there are no self adhesive strips to fold the nappy together withthe used wet wipes and seal it up. It just flops around and needs greater care during changing and with disposal.

So I'm wondering if any parents out there would like to recommend another brand either of nappies (which we are quite happy with but which she can now take off herself !) and even better a different brand of pants which are much better when she is crawling about.

I don't think there is much in price but don't want to have to buy 10 different types only to throw them away as unsuitable. She is about 9kg I think, perhaps slightly over.

We use mamy poko. Our son is 9 months now. We tried the pants once but they were either tight enough to leave marks on his skin or too loose so they can fall down. We tried huggies once too but the quality did not seem to match mamy poko.

We use mamy poko. Our son is 9 months now. We tried the pants once but they were either tight enough to leave marks on his skin or too loose so they can fall down. We tried huggies once too but the quality did not seem to match mamy poko.

I've done both disposable and cloth nappies. I'm a fan of cloth nappies. BUT when I have to go with disposables, I found MamiPoko to be very expensive and cause rashes. The cheaper BabyLove brand has been much better. I have never used the pants kind for crawling babies. The regular nappies should be just fine and definitely result in way fewer blowout out the back!

Well I've got to buy some more tomorrow and the missus wants the pants so we'll give them another go. The difference in the medium size is that the nappies are much more bulky at the front and semi impede her movement and / or get squashed into her groin area. At the large size they separate boys and girls. As to other brands, we've never tried any.

We've had no problems with rashes of any kind in nearly 8 months but we use Sudocrem ( http://www.sudocrem.co.uk/ ) and powder after showers and often after changes.

My son is now 3 1/2 and weighed 15.7 kg last Saturday.

He has been in Mamy Poko all the time and is now in the boys XL but only when he sleeps at night.

We have had no problems and when he was in the early ones with the velcro strips they were easier to fold for disposal than the rip off type.

A bit of crap leaking out now and again is no big problem.

We have no hot water for laundry and my Thai wife never really wanted the cloth types.

My first son was in those all the time but I suspect at 30 he has probably outgrown them by now.

My wife is 42 and I am 63 and I can look forward to having my own in a few years.

The good news is that my son may have to change his dads pampers as I did for him when he was a baby.

Getting my own back will be sweet but not necessarily the smell.

I used Kodomo for my 18 month old since birth. They were recommended by the hospital and have been excellent, particularly as my daughter has big legs and Mami poko are too tight. Kodomo regularly has promotions (real promotions, not 20 baht off) up to half price so we save a fortune buy buying 3 months worth.

We have used Mami Poko pants when we have taken her out to dept stores as some crappy stores don't have changing tables (what do the Thais do in these cases?) and it is easier to change a baby standing upright, but Mami Poko leak poo. Does Baby Love make pants?

I remember mentioning on another post about the leaking issues with the medium mommy poko pants. My sons 16 months now and about 13kg and he weres XL. We use both the normal nappies and also the pants, since we have been using the L and XL we have had no leaking at the back like we did the mediums.

When we went back to the UK in October I could not believe the difference in the quality of nappies, even the tescos own brand were so much smaller (thinner) you couldnt even see he was wearing a nappy. The nappies seemed to have some kind of gel in them and were always dry and stayed the same size. A few rounds of Ching Chong in a Mommy Poko tends to swell the nappy up to twice the size.

When we went back to the UK in October I could not believe the difference in the quality of nappies, even the tescos own brand were so much smaller (thinner) you couldnt even see he was wearing a nappy. The nappies seemed to have some kind of gel in them and were always dry and stayed the same size. A few rounds of Ching Chong in a Mommy Poko tends to swell the nappy up to twice the size.
8 months: time to move on from diapers and start potty training. People use diapers way too long. If they can sit, they can do their business on the potty.

The gel is an acrylic polymer which many scientists consider dangerous to wrap our childrens genitals in for 2 years. There are well documented experiments of the same gel turning male fish and frogs into female ones...... scary stuff, but dont be too quick to throw away the bulky pulp filled nappy you get over here!

Cloth nappies are excellent used along side disposables. I used cloth in the day (far easier with the Thai climate) and a disposable overnight so her sleep wasnt interupted. Incidentally cloth nappies users potty train an average of 6 MONTHS ahead of disposable users.

I saw that Tesco stock a velcro-up cloth nappy now, just like in the UK. Pins and huge towels that need to be folded are way in the past!