How Intellectually Stimulated Do You Feel

seonai

I'm having a snappy retort two days late moment.

The differences between a troll, a PC bonetard, and some guy who enjoys making fun of retards while educating them, is about the combinations of awareness of ones own motives, schedenfreud, empathy, and understanding social dynamics. .

And in the same post....

It is weak punk talk to label people who disagree with you and make you uncomfortable and don't conform to your Mighty Righteousness as trolls. Try engaging the issues, with the rest of the adults.

Retard is a verb....

And I say your 'snappy retort' is about as intellectual as that which I just flushed down the toilet.

Reading your posts reminds me of those old detergent adverts - content extacted from Wikipedia as a prop to your affectation of intellectualism - just like the 'guys in the white coats' standing in the background as Mrs Suds tries to decide what washpowder is best for her family.....

[sic] "Xplat washes whiter because these scientists have got white coats".

No need to label you Xplat you do a great job of that with every word you type.

Ok, Mr. Retard is a verb. My job is done here.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The differences between a troll, a PC bonetard, and some guy who enjoys making fun of retards while educating them, is about the combinations of awareness of ones own motives, schedenfreud, empathy, and understanding social dynamics. The PC bonetard has empathy, but is Utopian about social dynamics.

and certain "lecturers" should not use foreign expressions if they are neither able to spell them properly nor understand their meaning. :o

I think the spelling is 'schadenfreude' - enjoyment at other's misfortune.

Try this word...post-31110-1204979302.gif

The opposite of that crap word above..

For those of you who lack it..Try it sometime.. :o

I like mudita. Seems similar to compersion.

Compersion: The positive feelings one gets when a lover is enjoying another relationship. Sometimes called the opposite or flip side of jealousy.

And about schadenfreude, or slapstick comedy, pretending we don't have it doesn't make us better people.

Gosh what a bore this thread has become... I merely meant to ask if people felt in the same way stimulated on a day to day basis in Thailand as they might do in their own home/chosen home towns. I totally understand all of you who say that we need to make our own intellectual stimulation by reading or going to the library or on the Internet ... no question there. But in England, on a day to day basis I am much more stimulated than I ever will be in Thailand. I put it down to the education system for the masses. The Thais are, in the majority reluctant (because of conditioning at school/uni) to have opinions about anything greater than themselves. I love Thai people with all my heart but I find myself struggling to be me in this world of Thailand. In England, I may meet a lot of bored women on a day to day basis if I choose to frequent places they might hang out but if I go to Internet Cafes or other spots I just sit with a tea and meet all sorts of really interesting people. In thailand, because of the rote learning system, the people (who are lovely) have been taught not to ask questions and not to have opinions so the intellectual stimulation of the conversation is limited...

Gosh what a bore this thread has become... I merely meant to ask if people felt in the same way stimulated on a day to day basis in Thailand as they might do in their own home/chosen home towns. I totally understand all of you who say that we need to make our own intellectual stimulation by reading or going to the library or on the Internet ... no question there. But in England, on a day to day basis I am much more stimulated than I ever will be in Thailand. I put it down to the education system for the masses. The Thais are, in the majority reluctant (because of conditioning at school/uni) to have opinions about anything greater than themselves. I love Thai people with all my heart but I find myself struggling to be me in this world of Thailand. In England, I may meet a lot of bored women on a day to day basis if I choose to frequent places they might hang out but if I go to Internet Cafes or other spots I just sit with a tea and meet all sorts of really interesting people. In thailand, because of the rote learning system, the people (who are lovely) have been taught not to ask questions and not to have opinions so the intellectual stimulation of the conversation is limited...

Thanks for getting us back on topic - and it is an interesting topic. I agree with you that the culture of conflict avoidance is an obstacle to stimulating discussion. It's unavoidable that conflict avoidance leads to lack of intellectual stimulation.

And about schadenfreude, or slapstick comedy, pretending we don't have it doesn't make us better people.

slapstick respectively slapstick comedy has nothing to do nor is it in any way related to the german word "Schadenfreude". the correct definition was given by Briggsey, i.e. "enjoyment at other's misfortune"

nota bene: lame diversions instead of admitting a mistake makes people look like

quote xsplat: "stupid dicks" :o

Gosh what a bore this thread has become... I merely meant to ask if people felt in the same way stimulated on a day to day basis in Thailand as they might do in their own home/chosen home towns.

i [not so] humbly beg your pardon Seonai but i am not the only one who thinks that location has nothing to do with being "intellectually stimulated". in fact i think that people without intellect aren't stimulated anywhere and people possessing intellect do not need any stimulation.

:o

I agree with you that the culture of conflict avoidance is an obstacle to stimulating discussion. It's unavoidable that conflict avoidance leads to lack of intellectual stimulation.

hmmm... perhaps i should start a bar room brawl in case i feel that i need intellectual stimulation? or challenge the neighbour for a duel (heavy sabres sunday at dawn "sine sine") because his dog likes to sh*t in front of our gate?

Gosh what a bore this thread has become... I merely meant to ask if people felt in the same way stimulated on a day to day basis in Thailand as they might do in their own home/chosen home towns.

i [not so] humbly beg your pardon Seonai but i am not the only one who thinks that location has nothing to do with being "intellectually stimulated". in fact i think that people without intellect aren't stimulated anywhere and people possessing intellect do not need any stimulation.

:o

I think that it is a valid question. When I first came to Thailand there were almost no book stores, no new music, no TV, no plays. I think that even Einstein would have been rather bored. :D

Have been weighing up whether to stick my neck out on this one. What the hel_l, might as well....

For the majority of visitors, Thailand, at least in terms of western concepts of intellectualism, appears as an intellectual desert. However, from time to time and most likely in Bangkok than anywhere else, we do meet Thais with well developed intellects. Often these Thais have been exposed to western culture over a prolonged period and probably realise if they want to interact with westerners in social settings they will be expected to express their intellect, else they risk being regarded as simple.

On the other hand, within Thai society, the ability to interact without the need to demonstrate one's intellect is no small skill in itself, as has been alluded to elsewhere in the postings on this topic.

Just as a westerner might ask "why don't Thais engage in intellectual discussion ?" Thais would just as easily ask "why do westerners feel it necessary to engage in intellectual discussion ?", especially in a social setting.

For Thais there is a time and a place for such intellectual discussion and it isn't at a social gathering. Westerners in such gatherings use symbols to determine each other's relative status. For example, who arrived in what car, what clothes are worn, where do people live, where and how often do they holiday, what schools did they go to, what schools do their children go to, where do people work and what do they do ? Almost never will salary or the cost of things be mentioned. If people's relative status to each other can't be readily established by their symbols then intellectual discussion may be the deciding factor: who is the best read, who has better knowledge of any subject, etc.

Thais don't seem to bother with this small talk. In my experience about 2 questions settle the issue of who's who: what is your salary and how much did you pay for your house, or kid's schooling, whatever. Over in a few minutes; relative status established. Who needs to waste time on intellectual discussion...social gatherings are for having fun. Now where's the karaoke mike ? By the way....did you hear about what happened to the TV soap star yesterday......

I'm having a snappy retort two days late moment.

It think that's called 'l'esprit d'escalier'. This is how I live my life.

Schadenfreude is the new zeitgeist, obviously :o

You sent me twice to wikipedia, and gave me a witicism that I can pass off as my own on my blog. Thank you three times.

Have been weighing up whether to stick my neck out on this one. What the hel_l, might as well....

For the majority of visitors, Thailand, at least in terms of western concepts of intellectualism, appears as an intellectual desert. However, from time to time and most likely in Bangkok than anywhere else, we do meet Thais with well developed intellects. Often these Thais have been exposed to western culture over a prolonged period and probably realise if they want to interact with westerners in social settings they will be expected to express their intellect, else they risk being regarded as simple.

On the other hand, within Thai society, the ability to interact without the need to demonstrate one's intellect is no small skill in itself, as has been alluded to elsewhere in the postings on this topic.

Just as a westerner might ask "why don't Thais engage in intellectual discussion ?" Thais would just as easily ask "why do westerners feel it necessary to engage in intellectual discussion ?", especially in a social setting.

For Thais there is a time and a place for such intellectual discussion and it isn't at a social gathering. Westerners in such gatherings use symbols to determine each other's relative status. For example, who arrived in what car, what clothes are worn, where do people live, where and how often do they holiday, what schools did they go to, what schools do their children go to, where do people work and what do they do ? Almost never will salary or the cost of things be mentioned. If people's relative status to each other can't be readily established by their symbols then intellectual discussion may be the deciding factor: who is the best read, who has better knowledge of any subject, etc.

Thais don't seem to bother with this small talk. In my experience about 2 questions settle the issue of who's who: what is your salary and how much did you pay for your house, or kid's schooling, whatever. Over in a few minutes; relative status established. Who needs to waste time on intellectual discussion...social gatherings are for having fun. Now where's the karaoke mike ? By the way....did you hear about what happened to the TV soap star yesterday......

That's a very interesting take on intellectual conversation. I was agreeing right up to the end, and then it occured to me that you miss the point that some people take pleasure in thought. It is like taking pleasure in ping-pong. Winning might be part of it, but the fun is in the act.

Thais tend to be less interested in these types of pleasures.

slapstick respectively slapstick comedy has nothing to do nor is it in any way related to the german word "Schadenfreude". the correct definition was given by Briggsey, i.e. "enjoyment at other's misfortune"

nota bene: lame diversions instead of admitting a mistake makes people look like

quote xsplat: "stupid dicks" :o

That's bonetard. Show some class.

Did I mislead you to think that slapstick was meant as a definition for shadenfreude? My meaning was to bring in a more common association with the word, so that it is not taken as mere mean spirit.

Perhaps some of us are confusing intellect with intelligence. As was just mentioned, we may not go to the functions or places where intellectual Thais discuss ideas, in their own language. Hard working locals have little time for introspection, anywhere in the world. Mass media has dumbed down discourse, while providing alternate media such as educational TV and internet websites.

But I do believe that intellectual stimulation of the masses has been repressed in Thailand for centuries.

Much ado about nothing more than a bit of mental masturbation really...

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Not a bad thing at all; but, like the more conventional way, its better kept out of public view...

Not a bad thing at all; but, like the more conventional way, its better kept out of public view...

Depends on how hot the girl is, I suppose.

Depends on how hot the girl is, I suppose.

This, I find stimulating. (.. in a strange sort of way...). Whether the esteemed posters on this thread would classify it as an intellectual pursuit, I would not dare to guess...

Perhaps some of us are confusing intellect with intelligence. As was just mentioned, we may not go to the functions or places where intellectual Thais discuss ideas, in their own language. Hard working locals have little time for introspection, anywhere in the world. Mass media has dumbed down discourse, while providing alternate media such as educational TV and internet websites.

But I do believe that intellectual stimulation of the masses has been repressed in Thailand for centuries.

Good point PB and Sibeymai too. Naam, disagree completely with your ridiculous suggestion that if you are naturally intelligent you don't need stimulation :o

Alex why do you keep asking me?

I tried to explain before... It seems easy to me and some friends that I have dicussed this with. On a daily basis I don't find that my 'intellect' is stimulated in day to day Thai conversations but in Europe I can find at least one person a day to have a decent chat with and feel that my brain was working as opposed to merely answering the normal questions.

I am by no means saying that Thai people are less intelligent (I hope that is clear) but I feel through their educational system they have been exposed to less opportunity than some westerners to think and have opinions.

Don't get me wrong, I have met a few (small amount) of thai women in my life in Thailand who made an impression intellectually, if I am being honest two women over 16 years.

Hey I just asked a simple question, I was curious as to the answer... don't beat me up about it please :o

Don't get me wrong, I have met a few (small amount) of thai women in my life in Thailand who made an impression intellectually, if I am being honest two women over 16 years.

That is precisely 2 more then I have met in England in my 32 years, but sometimes they look and feel and smell and move and taste and listen and touch and are so graceful and tender that it more then makes up for it.

You want to try being an estate agent for lack of mental stimulation, you'll end up writing something as intellectual as what i just have.

Naam, disagree completely with your ridiculous suggestion that if you are naturally intelligent you don't need stimulation :o

i am not a native english speaker that's why i can't judge whether the english language discerns between "intellect" and "intelligence". in my mother tongue there is a difference and if you read my posting again i used "intellect". but even if i had referred to "intelligence" my opinion still stands, which is "no stimulation needed".

having said so, i admit that i can only speak for myself.

Yes good point Howtoescape... it can happen in any country. All I was trying to say, and I realise this goes over the heads of a lot of TV members,

Is that there are a few Thai women and men that can have a decent conversation, lots in fact but it is hard for us to meet them :o

Edited by seonai