Car Registration Transfer Help

Hi,

I have agreed to sell my car (in wife's name) to an expat. The car is registered in BKK but I and the buyer live in Rayong. I understand this will involve a trip to BKK to sort out the details of the transfer.

The guy buying is having to take a day off work, so I want to make sure when we go to the office we have everything we need, and the transfer goes smoothly (no missing papers, etc.) Is the guy's passport enough (Type B visa I understand) or does he need anything from embassy/immigration ?

Thanks in advance.

INTJ.

Sorry read the post again.

Your wife will need to go, equipped with id card and household book and photocopies.

The purchaser will need a photocopy of his passport and a current letter from Immigration, or his embassy, confirming his address. Plus a Tor Lor Bor (3rd Party) insurance cover document.

The other forms can be filled in at the Land Transport office.

The big offices can be quite intimidating, with all the counters and signs in Thai.

The purchaser might want to ask for the vehicle registration to be transfered to Rayong, to save an annual trip to BKK for the licence disc.

Edited by astral

Hi Astral, thanks for the quick reply. What is the letter he needs from the embassy/ immigration ? is this quick and easy to get (ie. available immediately) ?

The reason I ask is I need to get everything done in a day, (including travelling RAY-BKK-RAY) this guy has only a passport and one day off. Or do you know of any agencies that could handle this (for a modest fee ?)

Also do you mean a Por Lor Bor, the green square in the window ?

Is there any way of doing this without the guy being there ?

Thanks again.

INTJ.

Getting the Proof of address letter from Immigration should be a 5 minute job, provided he has been reporting every 90 days. At the Embassy it may be a case of come back next day.

You will have to call and ask them.

Most car dealerships have agents who can handle these matters.

They will have the forms, so all you have to do is sign.

Then they go and do the change for you. Personal attendance is not a requirement.

Yes the Third Party Insurance is the square sticker on the car window, green this year.

When it is issued, there should be an A4 sheet with it, and there is a tearoff strip at the bottom. You certainly need this when you renew the vehicle tax.

I assume the current sticker is still valid and you are passing it over with the vehicle? In that case you should be alright.

I mentioned it before, as there was recent announcement of a clamp down to check all vehicles for this insurance, as around 50% countrywide do not have it!!

As the new owner's time is limited I would strongly suggest having the registration transfered to Rayong. This will involve new plates for the car, but will save hassles in the future. The agent will handle it for you.

A deadlership will handle all this usually for a few Baht only.. In fact last week my buddy was stuck in a setup where the previous recorded owner (only a paper name and now gone) has not left tabien baan papers (Thai owner) and was told when he went that of course it would not be transferable.. A local agent got the whole mess done for a couple hundred baht..

I moved 2 bikes last week and moving a car today...

If Farang seller needs Passport copies and showing thier immigration card (clipped in passport) that they are currently able to be in the kingdom..

Buyer needs immigration form stating proof of address which in turn needs Tabien baan of house master, signature of house master and ID card of House master.. Then for 300 Baht from Immigration you gte a little slip of paper..

Insurance (and tax ??) must be shown as being valid.

Then there are some forms to be filled in and signed for the transfer, the seller (or buyer) does not need to go to the office if they sign the papers.

A deadlership will handle .........

Buyer needs immigration form stating proof of address which in turn needs Tabien baan of house master, signature of house master and ID card of House master.. Then for 300 Baht from Immigration you gte a little slip of paper..

Interesting slip of the pen. :o

If you are uptodate on your reporting and your landlord has also reported your presence, on arrival.

The address confirmation should be very easy.

I needed two copies when I sold my old car and bought a new one, but a photocopy sufficed for the second one.

Which immigration office is charging 300 baht?

Here in Sri Racha the service is FREE.

Edited by astral