Phones And Maps And Gps? How Does It All Work?

Daewoo

OK, I don't need an explanation of GPS, I even understand the enhanced GPS function where they charge you the data rate to help your phone get a lock faster.

What I don't understand is the way that these phones work as a navigator, what functions they have as standard and what I have to pay for.

In particular, I am looking at getting either a 6110 Navigator, or N95 8GB. I don't really want to go into a store and harass the poor sales assistant, because the phone is ordered through work.

DO these phones do proper navigation "In 300m turn right into Sunset Boulovade"? or just show a map and your position on it?

Are world maps all included or do you have to buy one for each additional country?

If you get a map off the Internet from a P2P download, will the navigation functions work?

Which phone should I get??? Now long is a piece of string right, it must be a Nokia, small and easy to use is more important than features that I will never use...

Cheers,

Daewoo

OK, I don't need an explanation of GPS, I even understand the enhanced GPS function where they charge you the data rate to help your phone get a lock faster.

What I don't understand is the way that these phones work as a navigator, what functions they have as standard and what I have to pay for.

In particular, I am looking at getting either a 6110 Navigator, or N95 8GB. I don't really want to go into a store and harass the poor sales assistant, because the phone is ordered through work.

DO these phones do proper navigation "In 300m turn right into Sunset Boulovade"? or just show a map and your position on it?

Are world maps all included or do you have to buy one for each additional country?

If you get a map off the Internet from a P2P download, will the navigation functions work?

Which phone should I get??? Now long is a piece of string right, it must be a Nokia, small and easy to use is more important than features that I will never use...

Cheers,

Daewoo

Oops didn't add my reply.

I brought over a N95 from the UK with UK maps pre-installed.

The maps download automatically as you drive around LOS but if you buy a N95 in LOS I assume it comes with the maps pre-installed. The cost of the maps depends upon your Internet access charge. You can prevent the phone from downloading maps if you want.

I find the screen small but the 8GB model has a slightly larger screen? You will need a Bluetooth GPS receiver to use it in your car. (£25 in the UK). I think voice direction is limited to the BKK area and there is a charge for this option. The voice direction seems to work all the way down to Pattaya!

I know dedicated GPS receivers have a superior display but I like my N95 because of the convenience. There are many other threads about the N95 so do a search.

Hope that helps.

Ferguston

Cheers,

Daewoo

Oops didn't add my reply.

I brought over a N95 from the UK with UK maps pre-installed.

The maps download automatically as you drive around LOS but if you buy a N95 in LOS I assume it comes with the maps pre-installed. The cost of the maps depends upon your Internet access charge. You can prevent the phone from downloading maps if you want.

I find the screen small but the 8GB model has a slightly larger screen? You will need a Bluetooth GPS receiver to use it in your car. (£25 in the UK). I think voice direction is limited to the BKK area and there is a charge for this option. The voice direction seems to work all the way down to Pattaya!

I know dedicated GPS receivers have a superior display but I like my N95 because of the convenience. There are many other threads about the N95 so do a search.

Hope that helps.

Ferguston

I did a search, but it all gets very technical and specific where my questions are more general...

Thanks fo ryour reply, it goes a long way towards what I wanted to know...

Does anyone know if the '6110 Navigator' has voice instruction included or is that a paid service same as the N95???

So if I get the N95 and install maps I download from the Net, I won't have to pay for the map downloads? Will the Navigation function still work??? (I can plug in a town and it will tell me how to get there, even if it is only on the screen?)

I like the 6110 Navigator because it is a little lighter (15g) and most of the time I keep the phone in my trouser pocket... everyone at work has an N95, and the first thing they all do when they sit down is put it on the table... with the amount of time I spend in pubs, that is a receipe for disaster...

Curious.. But why would you need a bluetooth GPS receiver ?? I thought the 95 had it built in ?? Also cant understand why thats for car use ??

I am guessing that it has the GPS receiver in built, but the speaker doesn't do the voice commands... right???

Cheers,

Daewoo

OK, more answers.

1. A N95 purchased in LOS should have LOS maps pre-installed ( I think). If so, Navigation between towns should be possible. The menu allows you to plan a route between 2 places or more

2. If you have a N95 purchased outside of LOS you will have to install maps onto a memory card or onto the flash memory of a 8GB model.

There is a Nokia mapping web-site but I've never used it. I enable my N95 to download maps from wherever I am in LOS. An icon shows when the phone is connected to the Net. The cost of the maps is therefore your Service Providers Internet access charge.

An alternative is to scroll around the map of LOS and allow the phone to download maps from any area you choose.

3. Once maps are installed you can search for points of interest - a 7-11 in Buriram!! or, navigate. The navigation is turn by turn directions and a highlighted map. I usually modify the route supplied by setting up way-points.

4. A Bluetooth GPS receiver is useful because the N95 is not as good as a dedicated GPS at locking onto and tracking a GPS satellite. It needs a good view of the sky! A Bluetooth GPS recever sitting against a car windscreen improves the N95's performance.

A GPS receiver is small,about the size of a cig-lighter. It usually comes with a neck cord so it can be worn around your neck when cycling,etc!

I've used my N95 whilst cycling around the Sattahip area.

Hope this helps,

Ferguston.

ps. there is a N95 user's forum based in the UK!!