The Dark Side

paul1970

I know it's been said, but this thread is a refreshing change. Informative, no flames and a pleasure to visit.

Agreed. I mean, just look at the stats for the thread...I think it's been up about 3 weeks, 9 pages/209 replies, about 3700 views. Not other recent post even comes close. Paul1970 is to be commended for starting a really good topic :o And all it a civil tone...must be a first for a TV thread. Posts on topic and still interesting after all this time!

I wonder how many guys we have convinced from the light side that there really is intelligent life on the other side of the road...maybe even convinced a few to move over here :D

I know it's been said, but this thread is a refreshing change. Informative, no flames and a pleasure to visit.

Agreed. I mean, just look at the stats for the thread...I think it's been up about 3 weeks, 9 pages/209 replies, about 3700 views. Not other recent post even comes close. Paul1970 is to be commended for starting a really good topic :D And all it a civil tone...must be a first for a TV thread. Posts on topic and still interesting after all this time!

I wonder how many guys we have convinced from the light side that there really is intelligent life on the other side of the road...maybe even convinced a few to move over here :D

I will add my strong second to the commendation for Paul! :D I am thoroughly enjoying both the content and camaraderie of this thread! :D

As for the presence of intelligent life, I think it exists on both sides of Sukhumvit. The percentages, however, are overwhelmingly in favor of our side; as I think the tone and content of this thread clearly shows. And, IMO, the same is true of the other end of the "evolutionary chain". There is a much greater percentage of ... well, you know, over there, than there is here. :D Unlike in Star Wars, the "Dark Side" of the Pattaya area is the place to be for people who can walk upright, and speak in more than grunts! :o:D

I have some bad news.....

....On Tuesday night, my wife and I went to try the dinner menu at the newly opened 'The Courtyard' on Nongprue Rd. It's about .2 kms from the intersecton w/ SSCC, as you head toward Nernplubwarn.

I stopped by there on Wednesday afternoon to try their lunch.

I actually think the air conditioned bar, whilst being reasonably furnished is extremely bland in appearance and has absolutely no character or ambience. To me it is a completely boring place - the sort of bar you might see in a a cheap 3 star hotel. I didn't go outside so I cannot comment on the open bar area.

I was the only customer and I was "over served' by an over eager katoy, while a weird looking gaggle of obviously inexperienced waitresses looked on - maybe about 6 in number. I was handed a menu and was about to order a sandwich, when a lady appeared (probably the owner's wife) and insisted that I try their Pad Thai. As I quite like Pad Thai I agreed. It was Ok-ish -nothing special. All the time I was there I was glared at by these waitresses who leaned against the wall doing nothing.

At one point 'meine host' appeared (an elderly American) and completely ignored his only customer. If he had so much as looked in my direction I would have smiled and struck up a conversation, but he seemed determined to avoid eye contact.

Some friends of mine were there the previous evening and told me that they had a problem with the bill, they couldn't buy a small bottle of water for their daughter, and the place had run out of small bottles of Singha and they had to settle for large bottles. There was 7 in their group and they sitting outside, and they said that all the staff remained inside, and they had trouble trying to find anyone to come and serve them.

It really doesn't seem that this place is ready to take on the outside world yet.

I'll give it another go in 3 months - if it's still there.

I have some bad news.....

....On Tuesday night, my wife and I went to try the dinner menu at the newly opened 'The Courtyard' on Nongprue Rd. It's about .2 kms from the intersecton w/ SSCC, as you head toward Nernplubwarn.

I stopped by there on Wednesday afternoon to try their lunch.

I actually think the air conditioned bar, whilst being reasonably furnished is extremely bland in appearance and has absolutely no character or ambience. To me it is a completely boring place - the sort of bar you might see in a a cheap 3 star hotel. I didn't go outside so I cannot comment on the open bar area.

I was the only customer and I was "over served' by an over eager katoy, while a weird looking gaggle of obviously inexperienced waitresses looked on - maybe about 6 in number. I was handed a menu and was about to order a sandwich, when a lady appeared (probably the owner's wife) and insisted that I try their Pad Thai. As I quite like Pad Thai I agreed. It was Ok-ish -nothing special. All the time I was there I was glared at by these waitresses who leaned against the wall doing nothing.

At one point 'meine host' appeared (an elderly American) and completely ignored his only customer. If he had so much as looked in my direction I would have smiled and struck up a conversation, but he seemed determined to avoid eye contact.

Some friends of mine were there the previous evening and told me that they had a problem with the bill, they couldn't buy a small bottle of water for their daughter, and the place had run out of small bottles of Singha and they had to settle for large bottles. There was 7 in their group and they sitting outside, and they said that all the staff remained inside, and they had trouble trying to find anyone to come and serve them.

It really doesn't seem that this place is ready to take on the outside world yet.

I'll give it another go in 3 months - if it's still there.

Yup. Similar problems for everyone who's been there thus far, Mobi. Your observations regarding the service staff are in complete agreement with mine. They don't appear to have made an effort to provide these girls with anything more than absolute minimal server skills. The katoey you mentioned, btw, is the nephew of the lady owner. He's actually a pretty decent kid. He talked with my wife, very politely, for quite a while as we were leaving, and he did ask for advice. Of course, I don't know that he's in any position to do anything about it.

I will make one correction, however, the elderly gentleman is English, not American. His last name is Couch. He did speak to me, as I reported earlier, as I left the restaurant with my wife the other night. But he had totally ignored us when we came in, and as we waited for, and then ate, our food.

They just haven't got a clue!

I do accept, by the way, your comparison of the decor to that of a 3-star hotel. All I say is that it is still head and shoulders above anything in that particular area for the quality of the furniture, and the cleanliness - and, of course, the A/C. Not easy to find around here.

They just haven't got a clue!

I do accept, by the way, your comparison of the décor to that of a 3-star hotel. All I say is that it is still head and shoulders above anything in that particular area for the quality of the furniture, and the cleanliness - and, of course, the A/C. Not easy to find around here.

Yes it is, less than 2 minutes drive away - The Butterfly :D

However, it would have to be a liquid lunch, but I'll guarantee the service is a bit better :o

Couldn't take the wife tho'

Seriously, if he'd done the Courtyard right it might have been a winner. As you say, a decent air con pub/bar is needed in the area, especially as we come into the hot season. But it must have character, good service and good food, all reasonably priced.

The secret is in the delicious sauce...gotta love the French and their sauces!!!

Just to put the record straight, the manager of Dao café is Belgian not French.

Glad you like our cooking :o

No malice intended.

cheers

onzestan

Are you one of the owners then, as i know all 3 of you???

The secret is in the delicious sauce...gotta love the French and their sauces!!!

No malice intended.

cheers

onzestan

No I'm not, sorry to say.

It's just that I wanted to put the record straight, as I'm proud of our Belgian cuisine.

cheers

onzestan

No malice intended.

cheers

onzestan

It's just that I wanted to put the record straight, as I'm proud of our Belgian cuisine.

cheers

onzestan

I'm a Brit and i probably eat in the Dao 2 or 3 times a week, and some of the specials they do are excellent, can never understand why they don't incorporate them into the main menu, but i don't have a bad word to say about the place, either the cafe or that place round the back.

Saying that, i'm off there now for some lunch.

Edited by v8tfcorty

Good for you, dam_n good beer from Belgium, not sure about the food but what the h-ll try anything once. As an aside, I thought the original Dao was French ? May well have changed hands, but the food and menu have not changed from the original.

Good for you, dam_n good beer from Belgium, not sure about the food but what the h-ll try anything once. As an aside, I thought the original Dao was French ? May well have changed hands, but the food and menu have not changed from the original.

Changed hands just over a year ago i believe (may have been a bit longer) and thank **** it did, you are correct that it used to be French owned but it is now Belgian owned and run, the biggest difference and improvement is how that naughty place round the back is run, used to be a dump with staff with attitude problems but now is one of the best bars in town either side of suk road.

used to be French owned but it is now Belgian owned and run

So we have a quantry here...original French restaurant, now owned and managed by Belgium, with basically the original French menu correct. So I would say it is still a French restaurant :D Is not half of Belgium basically French anyway :o Whatever it is, that chicken dish was the bomb and now I will try the other entres too!

Changed hands just over a year ago i believe (may have been a bit longer) and thank **** it did, you are correct that it used to be French owned but it is now Belgian owned and run, the biggest difference and improvement is how that naughty place round the back is run, used to be a dump with staff with attitude problems but now is one of the best bars in town either side of suk road.

I'm intrigued about the naughty place round the back and it sounds like the gf will have to be out of town before I can try the food here as she has that Thai sixth sense for anything naughty.

Anyway I'm intrigued enough to start another thread about the Dark Side which will be hopefully as succesful as this one for all other pertinent information on the Dark Side, eg good or bad bars, naughty places, amenaties, shops basically anything other than eateries, as I've found from this thread there are so many places over here which either you don't know existed or you (or at least I) would never consider going to until you hear about someone else's experience. The Dao being an example, usually I would never consider eating there seeing the location it is in but know I just know I have to try their food as soon as the missus goes to her home town on her next visit and hopefully v8tfcorty will expand on what is on the Dark side of Dao :o , is it ago go, coyote???

Anyway let's hope the new thread will be as intriguing as this one is and that we all can find something new or good about the dark side, so look out for Dark Side II :D hopefully we will have the same quality posts as there have been here.

I'm intrigued about the naughty place round the back and it sounds like the gf will have to be out of town before I can try the food here as she has that Thai sixth sense for anything naughty.

Anyway I'm intrigued enough to start another thread about the Dark Side which will be hopefully as succesful as this one for all other pertinent information on the Dark Side, eg good or bad bars, naughty places, amenaties, shops basically anything other than eateries, as I've found from this thread there are so many places over here which either you don't know existed or you (or at least I) would never consider going to until you hear about someone else's experience. The Dao being an example, usually I would never consider eating there seeing the location it is in but know I just know I have to try their food as soon as the missus goes to her home town on her next visit and hopefully v8tfcorty will expand on what is on the Dark side of Dao :o , is it ago go, coyote???

Anyway let's hope the new thread will be as intriguing as this one is and that we all can find something new or good about the dark side, so look out for Dark Side II :D hopefully we will have the same quality posts as there have been here.

Paul, you'll need to be very careful about the content of such a new thread, if you try to include discussion of "naughty places". Remember those pesky forum rules! :D

cheers

onzestan

[/quote

Help me out, onzestan. I am a veteran food lover, but far from a gourmet. Can you describe, in relatively simple terms, what would be the significant differences between typical French, versus typical Belgian cooking? I'm sure there must be a lot of similarities; but you clearly indicate some noticeable distinctions, as well.

Concerning the naughty bit of the Dao, don't be concerned about it, you can take you wife/girlfriend/parents to the Dao cafe and you will have no idea it exists, i knew one guy who had been eating in the Dao regularly for over 6 months and he had no idea it existed. It is not advertised in the cafe and there are no signs mentioning it outside either.

Help me out, onzestan. I am a veteran food lover, but far from a gourmet. Can you describe, in relatively simple terms, what would be the significant differences between typical French, versus typical Belgian cooking? I'm sure there must be a lot of similarities; but you clearly indicate some noticeable distinctions, as well.

Well it's simple really, the French invented the sauces, and we perfected them. :o

Of course there are many, many similarities, mainly the difference is that the Belgian cuisine is more down to earth, and involves typical local produce, whereas the French tend to be a little more exotic. We also use a lot more cream and butter than the French and don't use so much garlic. :D

As for Belgium being half French, the population is in fact 64 % Flemish, 32 % Walloons (French) 2 % German.

Oh and by the way French Fries are not French at all, they're a Belgian invention :D

Back to topic, and let's keep this thread going guys, a lot of interesting information.

cheers

onzestan

On the advice of the board, I've gone to Happy Holidays on Nern Plub Wan (corner soi 9--look for green sign). Thai operated but clearly farang owned in the service/decor. I've tried a few dishes (and they provide a nice 10% discount card) but the standout so far was the squid in salted egg. Never have I tasted this dish so well prepared and I eat it often. I also tried the Pad Si Yew which was very nice and plentiful (sorry about the spelling--lol).

Again on the advice of the board, I made it up to Sure Park to have the sirloin steak. Prepared to perfection and the serene ambiance made it a place I will surely return to. It's a little tricky to find this hidden away resto but don't let that put you off. Well worth the hunt.

Image00001-13.jpg

Image00011-9.jpg

Image00003-12.jpg

Bon appetit!

While going to Chanlada Coffee for my breakfast 7:30ish noticed that the Outback had quite a crowd eating outside so looks as though the breakfast there may be very good, have never called into the bar but might be tempted to try their breakfasts one of these days.

While going to Chanlada Coffee for my breakfast 7:30ish noticed that the Outback had quite a crowd eating outside so looks as though the breakfast there may be very good, have never called into the bar but might be tempted to try their breakfasts one of these days.

It's a golfing bar :o

The early crowd you see on days golfing trips are organized.

On those days you'll also see loads of cars parked there, but no soul in the bar!

Good News.

Rung thip has reopened after a short holiday.

Called by today had Cream of Tomato soup, Veal with Rosti Potatoes and Veg, gf had Tom Yam and Som Tam plus we had a drink each all for 355 Baht, superb.

I was there the day they re-opened, Saturday. I had one of my favorites from the western food menu. It's the grilled sea bass. I get it without the sauce, which is not very good. But it's a nice piece of fish. I just squirt lime on it. Served with veggies (brocolli, baby corn, carrots), and choice of baked or ff potatoes. Good meal, at 160 baht.

We went back on Tuesday, and I had the pad see ew noodles, and chinese soup with chicken. One of the things that makes the place so comfortable is that you can go back and forth between western and Thai food with pretty much total confidence in decent quality.

I also dropped into Chanlada for lunch on Sunday. I was anxious to try their cheeseburger. It has potential. I spoke with the owner, Pook, about it. They serve it on a very good bun; a large, fresh sesame bun. Right there is a very good, important start. Lettuce, tomato, onion, a slice of cheese, and very good quality beef. The last item is the problem. It's good beef, not a frozen patty. But there is no where near enough of it. I suggested to Pook that they increase both the amount of beef and the price (115 Bt) to make it attractive to burger lovers. As an alertnative, I suggested adding an option for a "double beef" version. As I said, potential. It did taste good. But I need some BURGER in my cheese burger. Oh, they do a reasonable job on french fries also.

I have another recommendation...this one for an English pub-grub type establishment. It comes to me from an English neighbor...but I have not personally tried it yet. It is Chester's restaurant, which is located in the little strip of shops in the small turn-in directly opposite the Thai wet market on Nernplubwan. This is the market just past the railroad tracks when coming from Sukhumvit.

He recommended both the English breakfast (B 120 or so) and the fish & chips (at about B 200). He claims the F&C is imported cod. I hope to give it a try in the next few days and will report back.

Edited by jonniebkk

On the advice of the board, I've gone to Happy Holidays on Nern Plub Wan (corner soi 9--look for green sign). Thai operated but clearly farang owned in the service/decor. I've tried a few dishes (and they provide a nice 10% discount card) but the standout so far was the squid in salted egg. Never have I tasted this dish so well prepared and I eat it often. I also tried the Pad Si Yew which was very nice and plentiful (sorry about the spelling--lol).

Again on the advice of the board, I made it up to Sure Park to have the sirloin steak. Prepared to perfection and the serene ambiance made it a place I will surely return to. It's a little tricky to find this hidden away resto but don't let that put you off. Well worth the hunt.

Bon appetit!

I'm sure they will all have a lot of punters!

OK, this is not a true "Dark Side" question. But, since we have a group of folks here who enjoy many of the "finer things in life", I thought I'd ask.

I love good bagged pretzels. I'm looking for suggestions on where to find the best of them.

The best I've found so far is "Beigel" brand, Sesame pretzels. They're made in Israel, and sold at Foodland. They're not the best pretzels I've ever had, but they're good. The best part of a bag of these may actually be after you've finished all the pretzels.

You know how a bag of pretzels usually has a lot of salt left in the bottom of the bag when you've finished all the pretzels? Well, we "veteran" consumers of bagged pretzels learned as kids that it's fun to wet the tip of your index finger, and pick up some of that salt for transfer to your mouth. With these pretzels, however, that leftover stuff at the bottom of the bag is not salt. It's a salty pile of sesame seeds. This provides a great many finger tips full of very tasty snack. Mmm, mmm, good! :-) (As you can tell, I was raised in very sophisticated environment!)

But, I digress. The question remains for all opinions. Where can we find the very best bagged pretzels in Pattaya?

OK, this is not a true "Dark Side" question. But, since we have a group of folks here who enjoy many of the "finer things in life", I thought I'd ask.

I love good bagged pretzels. I'm looking for suggestions on where to find the best of them.

The best I've found so far is "Beigel" brand, Sesame pretzels. They're made in Israel, and sold at Foodland. They're not the best pretzels I've ever had, but they're good. The best part of a bag of these may actually be after you've finished all the pretzels.

You know how a bag of pretzels usually has a lot of salt left in the bottom of the bag when you've finished all the pretzels? Well, we "veteran" consumers of bagged pretzels learned as kids that it's fun to wet the tip of your index finger, and pick up some of that salt for transfer to your mouth. With these pretzels, however, that leftover stuff at the bottom of the bag is not salt. It's a salty pile of sesame seeds. This provides a great many finger tips full of very tasty snack. Mmm, mmm, good! :-) (As you can tell, I was raised in very sophisticated environment!)

But, I digress. The question remains for all opinions. Where can we find the very best bagged pretzels in Pattaya?

Try Villa Market

I have another recommendation...this one for an English pub-grub type establishment. It comes to me from an English neighbor...but I have not personally tried it yet. It is Chester's restaurant, which is located in the little strip of shops in the small turn-in directly opposite the Thai wet market on Nernplubwan. This is the market just past the railroad tracks when coming from Sukhumvit.

He recommended both the English breakfast (B 120 or so) and the fish & chips (at about B 200). He claims the F&C is imported cod. I hope to give it a try in the next few days and will report back.

i concur, i eat breakfast there frequently, its a bit of a farang enclave, with free parking and they are very welcoming.

the breakfast is excellent, sausages especially.

Further info on the Courtyard restaurant. As several have posted, this place has a nice atmosphere and decor but the food has been disappointing (especially the Western dishes). I was was told by a neighbor who has been recently that they are supposed to be getting in a Farang chef sometime in the next week or so. At present, the Thai wife of the owner does most of the cooking. Hopefully, this will improve things :o

Further info on the Courtyard restaurant. As several have posted, this place has a nice atmosphere and decor but the food has been disappointing (especially the Western dishes). I was was told by a neighbor who has been recently that they are supposed to be getting in a Farang chef sometime in the next week or so. At present, the Thai wife of the owner does most of the cooking. Hopefully, this will improve things :o

Thanks for that info, John. As I've said, I very much hope that this place can improve and succeed, due to the facts that it is so nearby for me (less than 1 km); and that it is so physically comfortable and attractive (for our area). However, they also need significant improvement in the service and "hospitality" that I've experienced in my first two visits.

I'll check in there again next week, and let report on my experience.