The Dark Side

paul1970

^ Assuming you refer to the bar Crossroads, going east from there isn't the next road the T-section with Soi Nongprue with the Temple and the 7/11?

Nope, there is a small tiny Soi (rather driveway) that says "Love Inn". Ask at Corssroads for directions.

^ Assuming you refer to the bar Crossroads, going east from there isn't the next road the T-section with Soi Nongprue with the Temple and the 7/11?

Nope, there is a small tiny Soi (rather driveway) that says "Love Inn". Ask at Corssroads for directions.

That's the one Raro !! The 'caff' is owned by a wholesale farang food distributor in the Pattaya area. My mistake. Brekkie is 99 Baht, tea/coffee is extra. I always order the bubble & squeak, which makes the whole thing a real gutbuster (great for me as I usually have it late on. Other punters give great reports on the F&C and bangers & mash. usually a few in on Sundays for the roast. will try it soon and post my opinion.

That's the one Raro !! The 'caff' is owned by a wholesale farang food distributor in the Pattaya area. My mistake. Brekkie is 99 Baht, tea/coffee is extra. I always order the bubble & squeak, which makes the whole thing a real gutbuster (great for me as I usually have it late on. Other punters give great reports on the F&C and bangers & mash. usually a few in on Sundays for the roast. will try it soon and post my opinion.

'alf decent 'spag bol' in the 'Sailor Bar' on the Nernplubwan. On the corner of (google map reads 'Map Yai Lia 31') there's a 7-11. Youll find the bar three doors away. Not gourmet, but goes down great with a coupla' beers. 90 or 95 Baht.

Finally got round to visiting 'Rung Thip'....Gutted.....closed for a month. Three fellas drinking opposite in a mom & pop establishment recommended 'Courtyard'. The explained that it's nowhere near as good as Rung Thip, but decent food with reasonable prices (Could they be getting it right)?. Drove past. No customers. Gave it a miss & went to Kiss !!! :)

just down from the red lion on the left hand side

try sue's bar for a drink also next door is a good little resturant cheap with great food

red lion food is ok but like you say its always empty so you end up having a conversation with yourself

wow red lion sounds great

Finally got round to visiting 'Rung Thip'....Gutted.....closed for a month.

You are correct...Rung Thip is closed till the end of January. They are remodeling and enclosing the entire dining area (with air-con I'm sure) so that will make it more comfortable and more quiet. However, I quite like the outdoor ambiance...and the prices will likely go up to pay for the air-conditioning :D

Da Var coffee cafe on NPW is also closed for "remodeling." The owners say it will reopen in a couple months...we'll see.

FYI - The Lucky Time bar/resto/guesthouse on NPW is for sale. Stop in for details if interested.

For the benefit of us non-Brit/Roo/Kiwi readers, when posting about the menu of various places, could you actually use terms that describe what is being eaten...like roast-beef or ham and eggs, etc. rather than terms like "bubble and squeek"...like <deleted> is that :)

Edited by FarangBuddha

^ Bubble and squeak (sometimes just called bubble) is a traditional English dish made with the shallow-fried leftover vegetables from a roast dinner. The chief ingredients are potato and cabbage, but carrots, peas, brussels sprouts, and other vegetables can be added. It is traditionally served with cold meat from the Sunday roast, and pickles. Traditionally, the meat was added to the bubble and squeak itself, although nowadays it is more commonly made without meat. The cold chopped vegetables (and cold chopped meat if used) are fried in a pan together with mashed potatoes or crushed roast potatoes until the mixture is well-cooked and brown on the sides.

There are various theories as to the origin of its name,[citation needed] one of them being that it is a description of the action and sound made during the cooking process.[1] The name bubble and squeak is used throughout the United Kingdom. In parts of the country the dish may be referred to as bubble and scrape.

Bubble and squeak was a popular dish during World War II, as it was an easy way of using leftovers during a period when most foods were subject to rationing. In more recent times, pre-prepared frozen and tinned versions became available.

Bubble and squeak was a popular dish during World War II, as it was an easy way of using leftovers during a period when most foods were subject to rationing.

I have visited the UK once about 6 years ago and when dining out I really had thoughts as if the restaurant owners realized that the world war was finished. :)

Bubble and squeak was a popular dish during World War II, as it was an easy way of using leftovers during a period when most foods were subject to rationing.

I have visited the UK once about 6 years ago and when dining out I really had thoughts as if the restaurant owners realized that the world war was finished. :)

I bet all doubts were dispelled when the bloody bill arrived!

Well I now fully agree the Doa cafe's food has nose dived.

You may not believe this but even the girls in the back-room warned me the food was poor and sadly they were right. No blue cheese in the " blue cheese calzone" and the sum total of three poor Thai dishes only on the menu. To top it all woke up at three AM with the raging squits !!!

Shocking demise of one of my favorites.

^ Bubble and squeak (sometimes just called bubble) is a traditional English dish made with the shallow-fried leftover vegetables from a roast dinner. The chief ingredients are potato and cabbage, but carrots, peas, brussels sprouts, and other vegetables can be added. It is traditionally served with cold meat from the Sunday roast, and pickles. Traditionally, the meat was added to the bubble and squeak itself, although nowadays it is more commonly made without meat. The cold chopped vegetables (and cold chopped meat if used) are fried in a pan together with mashed potatoes or crushed roast potatoes until the mixture is well-cooked and brown on the sides.

There are various theories as to the origin of its name,[citation needed] one of them being that it is a description of the action and sound made during the cooking process.[1] The name bubble and squeak is used throughout the United Kingdom. In parts of the country the dish may be referred to as bubble and scrape.

Bubble and squeak was a popular dish during World War II, as it was an easy way of using leftovers during a period when most foods were subject to rationing. In more recent times, pre-prepared frozen and tinned versions became available.

WOW !!! I left England way over a decade ago, and the bubble and squeak wasn't fussed over as much as the yummy sounding version that you describe. Mine was just cabbage and mash. My mother obviously knew the war was over (as does the owner of the 'caff' in question.

WOW !!! I left England way over a decade ago, and the bubble and squeak wasn't fussed over as much as the yummy sounding version that you describe. Mine was just cabbage and mash. My mother obviously knew the war was over (as does the owner of the 'caff' in question.

However, I do remember my nan's (grandmother's) B&S used to be a lot like that.....Hmmm.....Must tell the girls at the 'caff' to put it in a skillet (frying pan to us English/Rooos/Kiwis) a bit longer. It tastes like it has loads of butter in it, so it should brown nicely :)

^ Sounds like biksemad.

Whilst on this particular type of food, does anybody know where to get decent 'Rosti' ??

'Tommy's' (a Swiss restaurant in Maenam, Koh Samui), was the place that I discovered it. (very, very tasty). Haven't found it on any menus on the darkside yet.

^ Sounds like biksemad.

Whilst on this particular type of food, does anybody know where to get decent 'Rosti' ??

'Tommy's' (a Swiss restaurant in Maenam, Koh Samui), was the place that I discovered it. (very, very tasty). Haven't found it on any menus on the darkside yet.

Swiss Paradise Restaurant does a good rosti...in fact, just had one last week. Just tell them how you want your eggs (hard or soft) and if you want cheese and/or bacon/ham on it (the cheese and meat will cost you extra).

Of course, the best rosti I have had in these parts is at the poolside restaurant of the Sunset Garden Hotel in Angeles City, Philippines. Bacon bits mixed in with the shredded potatoes and fried eggs and melted Swiss cheese on top...delish!

Well I now fully agree the Doa cafe's food has nose dived.

You may not believe this but even the girls in the back-room warned me the food was poor and sadly they were right. No blue cheese in the " blue cheese calzone" and the sum total of three poor Thai dishes only on the menu. To top it all woke up at three AM with the raging squits !!!

Shocking demise of one of my favorites.

Completely agree...a sad culinary loss for the Farside.

Funny what the new ownership accomplished in such a short time...redecorate and makes it all fancy decor, raises the prices, fire all the old cooking staff (who really knew how to cook, and totally ruin the place!

By the way, there is a little Swiss resto in a house just before Dao if one drives from NPW. I have not seen any mention of this place in this entire thread. Has anyone ever tried it?

Edited by FarangBuddha

By the way, there is a little Swiss resto in a house just before Dao if one drives from NPW. I have not seen any mention of this place in this entire thread. Has anyone ever tried it?

I live within easy walking distance of it, but I have never tried it. I think it is probably more a hobby than a serious attempt at a restaurant. In any case it is rare to see any customers there. Maybe one of these days I'll give it a try.

I too was a regular at the Dao Cafe since I live in such close proximity. But no more. In my opinion, since it changed hands it's much more expensive and just horrible. I would rather eat from one of the passing pushcart food vendors than eat there. For me, the closest decent restaurant now is Cafe Uno.

FYI: Sip Me New Coffee Cafe

Just a heads-up on a new cafe that just qualifies as being a "Darkside" establishment as it's located on the eastern-side of Sukhumvit road. It's called Sip Me and is located just before the NPW turn-off (on the corner just up from Numchai and directly opposite the Muslim mosque...I think a pet vet office was there before).

It is a spacious air-con cafe with a fancy Italian espresso machine (which they actually seem to have some proficiency in operating). All the usual hot and cold coffee drinks are available, along with a small selection of cakes. There is also a small menu of farang and Thai food dishes and and English breakfast. Prices are cheap...latte and caps at B50, Thai dishes B50-B60, I think the English breakfast was B80 or B90. They are currently running a 2 for 1 coffee drink promo.

There is free wifi and also a couple desktop stations for the laptop-less. Hours are something like 8 to 8. Overall, a very nice addition to the selection of eateries on the "Darkside."

Edited by FarangBuddha

• 2 months later...

A few new items as this thread has been quiet for awhile and the dining scene east of Sukhumvit is constantly changing.

First, it was mentioned already the Rung Thip was undergoing renovations. Well, those have been done for some time now and I believe there has also been a change in ownership as well. The chefs and menu have also changed. The main difference now is that it has been enclosed and there is now air-conditioning. To my mind, this is no big plus as I liked the old outdoor seating layout but it is what it is...that is cooler and also quieter. The menu has been altered somewhat but is still the basic mix of Thai and farang dishes. The prices have gone up maybe 20-30 percent or so...gotta pay for the air-con.

For fans of the old Dao Cafe and its cooking...fear not as I have located its successor restaurant and the old cooks. They can be found at the newish Aqua bar and restaurant. Apparently this place has been open for about a year but I just recently found out about it and had a chance to try it. I used to really enjoy the old Dao's cooking and was sorely disappointed by the changes there when it changed hands...well, apparently the old Dao owners promptly opened Aqua shortly after selling Dao to some suckers [oops...I mean investors] who wanted it. In any case, Aqua is similar in concept to the old Dao but there is no hotel...only the bar, restaurant, and pool [and yes, the bar is not one you would want to bring your significant other to to enjoy a quiet drink together]. The menu is a shortened version of the old Dao's but I can attest that the pizzas are just as good, as is the lasagna, and the chicken and mushroom with cream sauce.

There is a small outdoor seating area but it's easier to eat in the air-con bar area. There is also a pool so bring your trunks if you fancy a post-dining prandle in the pool either alone or with a companion. Aqua is located down near the end of soi NPW...take a left at the Crossroads Bar intersection [if coming from Sukkie] and at the fork in the road keep to your right Aqua is right there on your right.

Finally, I want to put in a word for the Village Cafe located up near the top of soi Kao Noi. It is a very pleasant air-con coffee shop located about 300 or so meters down from the top of the hill/wat on the right-hand side if driving down towards Sukhumvit. They serve coffee and espresso drinks, sodas, beer (B40-60), and wine. They also serve nice thick slices of white-bread toast with butter/jam or peanut butter/jam, grilled cheese/ham sandwiches, and a small selection of cakes. They are open everyday from 8-10pm. Very nice Thai owner and atmosphere...internet is also available.

Edited by FarangBuddha

Thanks a lot for the update on Dao/Aqua. Will go out for a recon soon and report back.

The Italian place at the bottom of SSCC disappeared. Does anybody know what happened to them?

Thanks a lot for the update on Dao/Aqua. Will go out for a recon soon and report back.

The Italian place at the bottom of SSCC disappeared. Does anybody know what happened to them?

yeah, he is selling bulk or catering or supplying other restaurants from what i heard from a friend of his who owns the new italian restaurant in SP5 now.

I just went to try a pizza from Aqua-Deymie.

As was already mentioned, this is not a restaurant like Dao's cafe, more a girlie bar with a pool like Black Pearl 2.

The pizzas (pizze) are 100% Dar style, even the names are the same. Excellent!

Phone: 085-281-2343

Edited by Phil Conners

Hey everyone...where have you all gone...doesn't anyone eat out anymore or is it too hot and you're all eating in? I seem to be the only one out there finding new places to eat :) In any case, here's another recent find:

My Home Nan & Curry, with the motto "Pay less...Eat more"

I found this Indian curry shop while walking on NPW the other day. It is a tiny open-air shop on the corner of NPW 8/1 (opposite the Mosque...if coming from Sukkie, it's just past 1 kilo and on the right. It's easy to miss as there is no sign...just a sandwich board on the sidewalk.)

I have no idea how long this place has been here...it's possible for awhile and I only now just noticed it. It is simple and non-descript, with only a few inside tables for dining but I assume most food is take-away, as was mine. They have a large selection of mutton, beef, and chicken curries, vegetable and dal dishes, tandoori chicken, and of course rice and nan bread. The food is cooked to order (not already made) and prices are a reasonable 100-150 for the curries, and 20-30 for the nan.

I ordered the chicken korma curry with saffron rice and garlic nan. The portion of curry was very generous with lots of boneless chunks of white meat. I am no expert on Indian curries but what I had was tasty and not too spicy. The saffron rice was well seasoned and the nan a very large piece of slightly puffy flat-bread. All in all a very satisfying meal. I would definitely order food from here again.

They will deliver on orders of B300+ (or less if you are in the immediate vicinity...yeah) and the number is 081-664-1454.

Edited by FarangBuddha

we have gone a bit quiet, eh? i went to Mike's Mexican last night, so i have little to add to the Darkside food thread :) i will say though...

- Cafe Uno is still one of the best eating options this side of sukh.

- Bar Brazilia closed, that place sucked anyway. you just knew it wasn't going to be long. it's not the girls or the food or the prices, the place has zero ambiance and even less charm.

- not sure i'm diggin the new Outback location, but good for Bob and Jack for upgrading.

- Maninpasta which is inside SP5 is fuc_king fantastic, but who goes into a project they don't live in to have a bite to eat?

- Lakeside has added a few new dishes. wife and i both tried 2 new dishes and they were the best dinners i've had there. and that includes the NYE dinner my friends and i had there.

- The Rendezvous is a place that understands how to serve a great western dinner. i think i've only ordered the pork chop dinner there, but it's huge, the fries/chips/mashed are plenty, fresh vegetables and a fuc_king gravy boat for each person. not many restaurants will hook you up with a gravy boat.

- Kiss has awesome pancakes, don't kid yourself. 45 baht for 2 'cakes. if you're american like me, you'll need to order 2 orders to get 4 pancakes but it's worth it.

let's all take a second to add your latest thoughts on eating out here on the Darkside, even if it's only updates about the same places we've been going for some time, yeah?

Edited by anothertorres