The Dark Side

paul1970

Bad news and good news from Chonlada.

The bad news, for us, is that Pook, her husband, Yu, and their baby daughter, Kiwi, will be moving back to Bangkok. So we will be losing one of our few great dining options in this area. The business has been remaining at the break even level. The reason for the move is more family related. Yu's family and friends are all in BKK; and he now has employment there. They also prefer to have Kiwi educated in the higher quality schools in BKK. So, for this great young family, this is good news.

As for the restaurant, Pook owns it. They are seeking someone who wants to rent or lease it. There are a number of options she'll consider, depending upon whether the client wants to continue using it as a restaurant, or has another business in mind. Kitchen equipment, for example, could be sold or included in the rental/lease agreement. Pook would also be willing to help train a staff, if the client does want to operate a restaurant. You couldn't do much better than having this bright, talented, young lady train your staff! They plan to move in January; so the time to act on this, if you choose to do so, is NOW!

If anybody is interested in renting or leasing the place, or if you know anyone who may be interested; you can contact Pook either in person, or via her cell phone. PM or email me for that number; as I obviously won't give it out publicly. I strongly vouch for the business knowledge and integrity of Pook. She is college educated; speaks excellent English, and is one of the nicest people I have had the pleasure to meet in Thailand. You can feel confident in dealing with her.

I am truly sad to see them leave. Chonlada's is our favorite place on the east side. And it's very close to my house. I can walk to it. I thought this might be coming though. I like to have my husband stop there on his way home from work and pick up dinner and she has been closed before he comes by for the past couple of months. Very nice family. I hope someone is able to take it over but it won't be the same. I love the coffee there and it's a nice family place.

Patsfarang, you beast me to convey the bad news! Was there for breakfast the other day and Pook hinted already that they might move back to bkk. Today, the place was apparently closed and a note at the door that it is for rent.

GENUINE ITALIAN ON THE DARK SIDE!

Today, for the first time, I stopped by a tiny Italian restaurant that's been open for just a couple of months. I've driven by the sign, which is basically an Italian flag, with some printing on it, many times; but always seem to be either in a hurry to go somewhere, or on the way home after it's closed. Today, I was just going to pick up an few things at Carrefour, and hadn't eaten lunch, so I stopped.

It's located on Soi Siam CC Road, just about 100 meters down from Sukhumvit, on the south side. As I said, the name isn't very obvious, but you can't miss the Italian flag, if you're looking for it. There are two small, round tables inside, and the same outside. Not big, not fancy. Just a simple place for a meal; or something to take out.

The owner, Fabrizio (sp.?) is from Milano, and has only been here for a few months. He's a very pleasant guy, with good, albeit heavily Italian accented, English. His menus, however, are currently in Italian and Thai only. No English. But, if you're familiar with Italian food, you'll be fine; since there are some photos of the food, and Fabrizio will happily explain anything you're not sure about. It's a relatively small menu, with a variety of pizzas, pastas, and sandwiches. But it's good, authentic Italian food!

I had penne pasta arabiatta. That's a spice tomato sauce. The pasta, as you'd expect, was cooked to a perfect al dente texture. I loved the sauce! I also bought a grilled salami and cheese sandwich to take home. It was very tasty, and made with great Italian salami. Those two items, plus one Singha, totalled 225 baht. Very good value, IMO.

If you're a fan of authentic Italian food, I recommend that you give this place a try. As I said, it's not high on atmosphere, like Toscino's; but I like the food, and will definitely be returning. I'm especially anxious to try the pizza.

I hope some of you will try it, and post your opinion. I'm selfish, and I want to keep Fabrizio in business, so that I've got a nearby source for good Italian food! :-)

Wife and I ate there just shortly after they opened. was decent and not expensive at all. haven't gone back and i think the best reason i can come up with is the location. it's not really conducive to having a great dinner. i drive by at least twice a day and there is never anyone there and i fear he can only keep it up for so long (see: Chonlada).

but yes, definitely worth trying, food will be good and it won't cost a lot.

Wife and I ate there just shortly after they opened. was decent and not expensive at all. haven't gone back and i think the best reason i can come up with is the location. it's not really conducive to having a great dinner. i drive by at least twice a day and there is never anyone there and i fear he can only keep it up for so long (see: Chonlada).

but yes, definitely worth trying, food will be good and it won't cost a lot.

Yes, AT, the location is certainly not the best. It's not the place to take a date; or bring the wife for an anniversary. :-)

But there is a little good news about it. The very small place is clean and A/C'd. And the wide parking areas they built in front of those buildings (a welcome change in construction here!) means that parking is fairly easy. ... That's it. I'm out of good things to say about the location. :-)

Still worth it for a good, simple, real Italian meal.

HEY! I just had a thought! I wonder if Fabrizio would consider moving up to a larger facility ... CHONLADA?! I'm going to drop in and talk to him about that tomorrow. Maybe I can HELP two birds with one suggestion! Man, it would be great to have him at the Chonlada facility!!

HEY! I just had a thought! I wonder if Fabrizio would consider moving up to a larger facility ... CHONLADA?! I'm going to drop in and talk to him about that tomorrow. Maybe I can HELP two birds with one suggestion! Man, it would be great to have him at the Chonlada facility!!

oh, i like your thinking.

oh, i like your thinking.

That would be pretty close to Tocino...pretty tough competition and besides, probably has a lease at his current place.

I would think the best advice you could give Fabio would be to get an ENGLISH version of his menu :)

where is Tocino again?

It's a little difficult to find being tucked away in a back soi of the Darkside...drive east on NPW and make a left at soi 28 and go about 200m; make a left at the first road/intersection you come to and follow this road till you come to a Y junction (you will also pass signs for an elephant village); take the right-side road and go another 100m or so and Tocino will be on your left. If you go another 100m on this road you will come to Swiss Paradise Village Moobaan and restaurant so if you know where they are you are near Tocino. Do not try to find this place at nite as you will surely get lost :)

Keep in mind they are only open for dinner from 5 pm onwards...they currently have a pork-chop special that is aloy mak mak!

where is Tocino again?

It's a little difficult to find being tucked away in a back soi of the Darkside...drive east on NPW and make a left at soi 28 and go about 200m; make a left at the first road/intersection you come to and follow this road till you come to a Y junction (you will also pass signs for an elephant village); take the right-side road and go another 100m or so and Tocino will be on your left. If you go another 100m on this road you will come to Swiss Paradise Village Moobaan and restaurant so if you know where they are you are near Tocino. Do not try to find this place at nite as you will surely get lost :)

Keep in mind they are only open for dinner from 5 pm onwards...they currently have a pork-chop special that is aloy mak mak!

I don't know what happened to the directions I posted. All that posted was the "blank" above! ???

In any case, the directions here are ALMOST right. That first turn you take off of NPW, going east, is a RIGHT, not a left. It's opposite the 'Crossroads' bar. After the turn (watch out for the huge hole in the left lane!), you pass an outdoor market on the right. Just past that, is the left turn onto Soi Mabtato. The rest of the directions are as good as it can get back here. :-)

where is Tocino again?

It's a little difficult to find being tucked away in a back soi of the Darkside...drive east on NPW and make a left at soi 28 and go about 200m; make a left at the first road/intersection you come to and follow this road till you come to a Y junction (you will also pass signs for an elephant village); take the right-side road and go another 100m or so and Tocino will be on your left. If you go another 100m on this road you will come to Swiss Paradise Village Moobaan and restaurant so if you know where they are you are near Tocino. Do not try to find this place at nite as you will surely get lost :D

I don't know what happened to the directions I posted. All that posted was the "blank" above! ???

In any case, the directions here are ALMOST right. That first turn you take off of NPW, going east, is a RIGHT, not a left. It's opposite the 'Crossroads' bar. After the turn (watch out for the huge hole in the left lane!), you pass an outdoor market on the right. Just past that, is the left turn onto Soi Mabtato. The rest of the directions are as good as it can get back here. :-)

Pats is correct on this...it's a RIGHT hand turn at soi 28...this driving on the left stuff still gets me turned around sometimes :)

I don't know if this has been mentioned here yet but there have been major changes/upgrades at Dao Cafe over the past couple months. I think there has been an ownership change or something and they have completely renovated/upgraded the place...everything from the furnishings to the menu to the staff uniforms. Basically, they have taken the place more upscale (though it's still an open pool-side setting with fans only. They have also changed the cooking staff. There is now some affiliation with the Pappagayo Coyote bar on the Brightside and the last page of the new menu has pictures of some of the girls from Pappagayo to advertise it...sorta funny thing to do if you are taking a place upscale...advertise (with pictures) the "entertainment" staff at your other establishment. I would think that might put-off some of the female clientele and Dao does get lots of couples dining together. (It's sorta funny, however, that they don't advertise the fact that they run a brothel just behind the rooms at Dao Cafe itself.)

They have changed the menu and some of the old favorites are now gone. I have not tried anything from the new menu yet but the pizzas. They seemed to have changed the dough recipe for the pizzas and there doesn't seem to be much taste to them anymore...much less tasty than before. I kinda liked the old staff and the somewhat "funky" simple decor of before and the changes are not really to my liking. If I wanted a more fancy dining experience, I would go to the Brightside to eat.

Anyone else tried some of the new menu items?

Edited by IHateCaptcha

I haven't been to Dao for quite a while; and haven't seen any of those changes. I'll have to drop in, just out of curiosity.

For a while, that was my favorite place for pizza. But it fell to to 2nd place, when I discovered Cafe Uno. Then it dropped to 3rd, when I discovered what is now my favorite restaurant, because of the American food and atmosphere, 'Rich Man Poor Man'. Unfortunately, RMPM is "wa-a-a-a-y" over on Jomtien Beach; but I still manage to get there at least once, usually twice, every week.

Rotating among Courtyard, Chonlada, Cafe Uno, and RMPM, pretty much fills my week; and Dao has been pushed out of the 'regular stops' group. (And now I'll be adding that little Italian place I wrote about yesterday!) But I will go in to see and try the new look and menu at least once. As I've said before, we all have different tastes in food. What one of us considers a step back, another might consider a step forward. :-)

I don't know if this has been mentioned here yet but there have been major changes/upgrades at Dao Cafe over the past couple months. I think there has been an ownership change or something and they have completely renovated/upgraded the place...everything from the furnishings to the menu to the staff uniforms. Basically, they have taken the place more upscale (though it's still an open pool-side setting with fans only. They have also changed the cooking staff. There is now some affiliation with the Pappagayo Coyote bar on the Brightside and the last page of the new menu has pictures of some of the girls from Pappagayo to advertise it...sorta funny thing to do if you are taking a place upscale...advertise (with pictures) the "entertainment" staff at your other establishment. I would think that might put-off some of the female clientele and Dao does get lots of couples dining together. (It's sorta funny, however, that they don't advertise the fact that they run a brothel just behind the rooms at Dao Cafe itself.)

They have changed the menu and some of the old favorites are now gone. I have not tried anything from the new menu yet but the pizzas. They seemed to have changed the dough recipe for the pizzas and there doesn't seem to be much taste to them anymore...much less tasty than before. I kinda liked the old staff and the somewhat "funky" simple decor of before and the changes are not really to my liking. If I wanted a more fancy dining experience, I would go to the Brightside to eat.

Anyone else tried some of the new menu items?

Have been there a few times and food, IMO anyway has gone downhill.

Looks fancy, but nowhere near as good value as before.

Plus I have one huge gripe, the new cook cooks steak in bloody olive oil. While this is obviously healthier then cooking in butter, the olive oil taste completely dominates the taste of the meat. And the steak has shrunk significantly in size.

Along with the fact that you used to get a basket of bread, brilliant to clean up the juice of the meat and/or the excellent sauce you used to get with your meat.

As much as I do not get along with the owner of Manneken Pis resto (close to Chonlada), he has IMO the best food Belgian/French style on the darkside, especially his steaks!

They do have a big selection of other "sauces" such as garlic sauce, curry sauce etc...

Well visited the Dao last week.

The decor is a little better and they still "hide" the entertainment.

Have to say only me, but feeling peckish had the Salad Nicoise, followed by blue cheese calzone.

Just as good as ever. Can't comment on the meat, but my old favourites still hit the spot.

The best surprise of my week was the Korean BBQ opposite the old Black Pearl now Rio or something Brazillian bar. Always loved Korean, but always put off by lack of custom and ranshackle appearance. However what a great meal. Their Kimchi Cake( egg/meat mix ) fantastic, and the whole meat and nibbles thing a treat. Bite the bullet and give it a go..............

(And now I'll be adding that little Italian place I wrote about yesterday!)

the joint was closed up tonight, i noticed. and where is Dao Cafe? :)

I dropped by on the way to lunch yesterday. Fabrizio told me that he's not really interested in running a larger restaurant. His main business is actually supplying product to other restaurants. So my idea for a move to Chonlada was not a go.

Dao Cafe is located on Soi 5, north of Soi Khao Noi. Coming from Suk, just turn left on Soi 5. It's up the hill, about 1 km, on the left. You can also get to it from NPW. It's Soi 6 from there. Look for the small yellow sign at the corner. You have to drive down to the end of the soi, turn right around the construction, then left down that soi. Dao will then, of course, be on your right, about 50 meters after that last turn.

• 1 month later...

Just heard about another new eaterie on the Darkside called Cafe View Dee which I have heard good reviews about their breakfast which is apparantly available from 6 AM which is great for us poor souls who have to work for a living especially now that the early opening places are quite limited with Chonlada's closing.

Will be trying this place soon but it's a little off the beaten track and not a place that will get much foot traffic so it will have to survive on it's reputation, the place is found on soi 26 off of Soi Nernplubwaan. Coming from Sukhumvit that would be at a guess about 3km from Sukhumvit and turn right into Soi 26 and follow it round to the right and Cafe View Dee is in a shophouse on the left just before Party Love Inn.

It's sorta funny, however, that they don't advertise the fact that they run a brothel just behind the rooms at Dao Cafe itself.

I wasn't aware of that. I don't understand what you mean by "just behind the rooms." Are you talking about within the dining-swimming pool facility or a separate structure? I've neither seen nor noticed it and I'm curious about it . Where, exactly, is it?

It's sorta funny, however, that they don't advertise the fact that they run a brothel just behind the rooms at Dao Cafe itself.

I wasn't aware of that. I don't understand what you mean by "just behind the rooms." Are you talking about within the dining-swimming pool facility or a separate structure? I've neither seen nor noticed it and I'm curious about it . Where, exactly, is it?

It's called Dao Bar. I wouldn't call it a brothel, it's just another girlie bar. There's a corridor from the back of the restaurant to the bar. Ask the staff to show you. Don't be shy :)

Just heard about another new eaterie on the Darkside called Cafe View Dee which I have heard good reviews about their breakfast which is apparantly available from 6 AM which is great for us poor souls who have to work for a living especially now that the early opening places are quite limited with Chonlada's closing.

Will be trying this place soon but it's a little off the beaten track and not a place that will get much foot traffic so it will have to survive on it's reputation, the place is found on soi 26 off of Soi Nernplubwaan. Coming from Sukhumvit that would be at a guess about 3km from Sukhumvit and turn right into Soi 26 and follow it round to the right and Cafe View Dee is in a shophouse on the left just before Party Love Inn.

i have been to Cafe View Dee a few times, its a no frills, bare bones shop house cafe.

breakfast is of a good size and is reasonably priced, its not quite as good as Chesters though

i have also had a very tough braised beef, a reasonable fish and chips (with the best tasting mushy peas i have had in Thailand)

Gammon eggs & chips has proved to be the best offering i have had so far

my friend goes there regularly and says its mostly good, the prices are reasonable but quality can be inconsistant.

• 4 weeks later...
GENUINE ITALIAN ON THE DARK SIDE!

If you're a fan of authentic Italian food, I recommend that you give this place a try. As I said, it's not high on atmosphere, like Toscino's; but I like the food, and will definitely be returning. I'm especially anxious to try the pizza.

I second the motion. I am very pleased with it. I have their business card, a copy of which is the file I posted with this message. The name of the place is Il Panettiere. Their number is 038-425213. If you are entering Soi Siam Country Club from Sukhumvit, it's about half a block up, on the right.

The back of the card says, "Open from 09:00 to 22:00 Every Day and Delivery Time" I'm not sure what they mean by 'delivery time,' but I imagine it means they deliver.

By the way, the pizza is very good. You can buy a whole pizza or buy by the slice. They also have it ready-made if you wish to take it home and heat it up yourself.

Il_Panettiere.pdf

Your link takes me to a map of USA for some reason. The link looks ok though, I have it already in "my maps" and from there it works. Maybe something to do with the redirect from TV that breaks it?

BTW, someone should probably remove the Chonlada entry as it no longer exist (as a restaurant anyway).

And I think the Delibean cafe moved.

Edited by Phil Conners

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if this has been mentioned (Only got up to page 27)!! 'View Dee' apartments just off Nernplubwan has a great little 'caff'. Great full English with bubble and squeak for around 120 Baht. I've heard they do a good Sunday roast with all the trimmings for around 200 Baht. Not sure what time they open, but close around 7 - 8pm. I go out of my way for the brekkie here.

Driving east from Sukhomvit, go past 'crossroads' and take first right after family mart (there's a pinkish purple sign saying 'Love Inn'). The 'caff' is about 400 - 500 yards up on the left.

Is the Indian place (mentioned in earlier posts) still running ?? If so, where is it ??