The Dark Side

paul1970

Lakeside is open

Have they completed their inside dining room yet?

Not yet, John. They do have the lower floor open, and served us there two nights ago. However, they are still waiting for some items that they will be putting on the wall, and a huge "map of the world" carpet for the entrance area. The wall will have some fabric designs (to kill the "echo" in there now), and some framed ancient maps. It should look quite nice when finished; which they hope will be within a couple of weeks.

The upstairs room (which has a capacity of about 100), is expected to be used most often for private parties. That won't be ready to open for a couple of months.

The lower floor looked nearly finished although I did not know it was open as such. I looked at it when I went to the loo and looked nice but certainly seemed to be missing a few things on the walls. You must have been there before me as when I was there - nobody was sat inside but maybe 20 people sat outside all around the pond area.

The lower floor looked nearly finished although I did not know it was open as such. I looked at it when I went to the loo and looked nice but certainly seemed to be missing a few things on the walls. You must have been there before me as when I was there - nobody was sat inside but maybe 20 people sat outside all around the pond area.

We were there from a little before 7 to just after 8, Digger. There was no one inside the room when we arrived, but, since it was lit up and furnished, I asked if we could sit in there to get out of the heat; and they let us do so.

By the way, for the first time, I found that they DO have some floor level portable fans that can be put outside, upon request, if you don't like eating in all the heat and humidity. I like it outside, but don't like the discomfort. Next time, I'll ask for a fan.

• 2 weeks later...
Can someone let me know if the Lakeside's air cond room is now officialy open ? Also is their AC at Manneke Pis ?

I don't know if the Lakeside A/C room is "officially" open, Paul; but we ate there a week ago, and they happily served us in there. The decor wasn't complete; but they said it should be within a couple of weeks. So it may be done now.

I don't believe there's any A/C at Manneke Pis.

But ... why all this interest in A/C? Aren't you enjoying the "natural environment" of our "tropical paradise"? :o

Quick note on my visit to Chonlada for lunch yesterday. I tried the pork tenderloin for the first time; and loved it. The sauce she makes is heavy on black pepper; which, as I said, I love. But be aware that, if you don't care for strong black pepper, ask her to cut back on it. ... And Paul, Chonlada IS air-condidtioned. :D

The A/C room t the Lakeside is apparently open. We nevertheless opted for eating in the open area and must say the food is good. A bit pricey compared to other venues around the lake but considering the excellent ambiance (which I rate better than the Courtyard) still gd value for money.

Seen on a banner in the Soi Siam Country Club : "Muslim Sea Food"

Anybody knows what Muslim Sea Food is please ? In what differ it with "traditional" sea food ?

Probably don't use pork lard for cooking/frying.

They most probably want to say that it is according to halal standard. That means more than just pork free.

Anybody knows what Muslim Sea Food is please ? In what differ it with "traditional" sea food ?

They most probably want to say that it is according to halal standard. That means more than just pork free.

There is a Halal section in the cafeteria at Bangkok Pattaya Hospital. I asked about it, and was told that ONLY Halil Muslims are allowed to eat in that section. Apparently, their religion forbids them from eating with others.

No dog fish and served by women dressed as bee keepers?

There is a Halal section in the cafeteria at Bangkok Pattaya Hospital. I asked about it, and was told that ONLY Halil Muslims are allowed to eat in that section. Apparently, their religion forbids them from eating with others.

what a load of BS! of course anyone can eat halal food, maybe not in the BPH, but then again we had enough threads about this institution, didn't we?

For the records: According to the Qumran any seafood except for eel is halal. However, some Islamic schools also do not allow crustaceans. Kosher regulations go even further and require fish with fins and scales only. Hence, anything kosher is also halal but not vice versa.

In the corner of the same sign it also says "steak" !

Just a quick mention of La Piscine, this place is run by a French guy and is located inside Chock Chai 4 village on Soi Khao Noi. The village is about halfway up the hill past Noi's bar coming from Sukhumvit it's on the left. Enter the village and keep going straight until you see the swimming pool, very convenient for car drivers is that there is room for about 6 or 7 cars to park in front of the pool.

The restaurant/bar is located behind the pool and is very nicely laid out. The menu has quite an extensive western choice and a large thai choice. Prices seem reasonable, I tried it for the first time today and just had a Chicken Salad, Prawns in Breadcrumbs and the missus had Laad Naa, 2 soft drinks where also drank and the bill came at 400baht.

Everything was very nice and even my incredibly difficult to please (where thai food in a falang restaurant is concerned) said her food was aloi mak mak.

I will definately be trying this place again. I believe though that the place is only open during daylight hours but definately a place I will eat more often at for lunch.

Just a heads-up that our own Menninken Pis is the featured restaurant review in the current Pattaya Today newspaper. Recommended dishes are the stews, grilled ham & cheese sandwiches (croquet or something), and some Belgium mussel dish that you have to order 2-days in advance (that's a mighty well-done). Just a reminder, hours are 12-12, with last order at 11.

Do you think we will have an invasion of those Lightsiders...naah :)

Edited by MeetJohnDoe

Well ... ALMOST Dark Side. (I sort of consider the east end of Thepprasit as "Dark Side in spirit".)

I just discovered a place that has been open for about a month in the Suk Lotus store. It's a "Sukiyaki and Suchi Buffet", called "Sukishi. It's located at the north end of the store, where the liquor department used to be.

The deal is, you pay 229 baht for the all you can eat buffet. You sit at a counter, with comfortable "bar stool" seats, and plenty of elbow room. There's a hole in the counter in front of you, where a hostess will place a bowl of hot (soon to be boiling) water, on top of the heating element below.

The food comes by on a conveyer belt, one item at a time, on small dishes. There is virtually everything you could want to either make your own sukiyaki in the bowl; cook single items of seafood, pork, beef, chicken, or veggies. There are a couple of types of noodles; and a nice variety of sashimi and suchi. I sampled darn near everthing in the seafood category, and found it to be fresh, and of more than acceptable quality.

A soft drink, juice, or tea are included; as is a fruit or ice cream desert.

There are also a couple of items that you can order from the hostess that are not on the belt.

It opens at 10:00, so is available for either lunch or dinner.

It's going to be added to my regular rotation of places to go. The way I eat seafood, the price is a definite bargain. It also gives me a great place to wait while my wife spends hours shopping!

If you like this type of food, and enjoy the option to select what you want, when you want it; I recommend that you give this place at least one try.

Oh, it appears, from my experience, that all of the girls speak a passable amount of English; and they're more than happy to help you get started with the process of selecting and cooking your food. Very pleasant staff.

Well ... ALMOST Dark Side. (I sort of consider the east end of Thepprasit as "Dark Side in spirit".)

I just discovered a place that has been open for about a month in the Suk Lotus store. It's a "Sukiyaki and Suchi Buffet", called "Sukishi. It's located at the north end of the store, where the liquor department used to be.

The deal is, you pay 229 baht for the all you can eat buffet. You sit at a counter, with comfortable "bar stool" seats, and plenty of elbow room. There's a hole in the counter in front of you, where a hostess will place a bowl of hot (soon to be boiling) water, on top of the heating element below.

The food comes by on a conveyer belt, one item at a time, on small dishes. There is virtually everything you could want to either make your own sukiyaki in the bowl; cook single items of seafood, pork, beef, chicken, or veggies. There are a couple of types of noodles; and a nice variety of sashimi and suchi. I sampled darn near everthing in the seafood category, and found it to be fresh, and of more than acceptable quality.

There are also a couple of items that you can order from the hostess that are not on the belt.

It's going to be added to my regular rotation of places to go. The way I eat seafood, the price is a definite bargain. It also gives me a great place to wait while my wife spends hours shopping!

If you like this type of food, and enjoy the option to select what you want, when you want it; I recommend that you give this place at least one try.

Oh, it appears, from my experience, that all of the girls speak a passable amount of English; and they're more than happy to help you get started with the process of selecting and cooking your food. Very pleasant staff.

yeah I heard about those places with comfortable sitting at a bar and some cut-out in front of you...The staff is usually quite friendly there, too...so I've been told...can someone hand me my coat...

Some news on the darkside restaurant scene, Annies Garden looks like it may not be for much longer with a for sale sign gone up outside, surprising as every night I have been passed in the last 2 weeks the place has been absolutely rammed, unless it's a rent a crowd to make the place look more appealing to prospective buyers.

Or it could be that just up the road a new I believe Italian restaurant is about to open called Pinocchio's, no other details on this one as yet.

Some news on the darkside restaurant scene, Annies Garden looks like it may not be for much longer with a for sale sign gone up outside, surprising as every night I have been passed in the last 2 weeks the place has been absolutely rammed, unless it's a rent a crowd to make the place look more appealing to prospective buyers.

Or it could be that just up the road a new I believe Italian restaurant is about to open called Pinocchio's, no other details on this one as yet.

Ate there twice, really decent food. Wondering about myself why I didn't go there more often...

Some news on the darkside restaurant scene, Annies Garden looks like it may not be for much longer with a for sale sign gone up outside...

Ate there twice, really decent food. Wondering about myself why I didn't go there more often...

Spoiled for choice on the Farside :)

• 3 weeks later...

yeah I heard about those places with comfortable sitting at a bar and some cut-out in front of you...The staff is usually quite friendly there, too...so I've been told...can someone hand me my coat...

Also opened in the Festival center beach Mall.

Barry

Also opened in the Festival center beach Mall.

Barry

Went to the one in Central as I love Sushi and Sashimi, terrible is all I can say.

The selection of Sukiyaki type stuff wos OK but to call this a Sushi/Sashimi place is a complete joke. The sushi is limited to at best 3 or 4 different types and there isn't even Tuna on the menu.

If you want Sushi or Sashimi go to a proper Sushi restaurant, for the Sukiyaki type stuff I would recommend MK above this place every time.

Some follow-up opinions on the Lakeside Restaurant. I had high hopes for this place turning into a nice option for good food in a nice atmosphere for us here on the Farside. Considering its genes (Delibean Cafe) this was not unexpected. However, I am a little worried that they are still pretty shaky on the food and their pricing is on the high side. While the atmosphere is fine, with the koi pond stocked and the air-con dining room now open, they still do not seem to have hit their stride. The dining room itself does not have enough air-con and gets quite warm in the day due to it's western exposure. The decor is also sorta half-ass...neither plush nor simple and the yellow-brown (dirty brown) colour scheme is not too pleasing.

However, all that could be overlooked if the food was really good (and fairly priced). The problem is what I have tried has been mostly average, with some dishes downright awful. My most recent meal had me sample the garlic bread (fine and at B 60 no problem), the penne carbonara (okay, but at B 220, certainly not a value proposition. I would go for Tocino's version, at about the same price, anytime.), and the bacon-potato skins with sour cream - very good but a tiny portion of 2 smallish halves and expensive at B 160).

Another meal had me sampling from their "Asian" menu of Chinese food. Here they promote Western Chinese favorites like stir-fry beef in black-bean sauce, chow-meins of various types and other dishes. They note that the beef used is imported Australian and the prices certainly would call for it. I had to try the beef chow-mein as I have not had any since leaving the States 10 years ago. At B 260, I expected something special...but was I disappointed! What arrived was a tiny (I mean appetizer sized portion) of noodles, with little beef, the wrong noodles, and overly salty taste. It was really quite pathetic and was not remotely like what I would call "chow-mein." Some sort of wheat angel-hair pasta was used and of course, Chinese style egg noodles (or baa mee noodles in Thai) are called for. The beef, what little there was, was nothing special, and instead of being wok stir-fried they almost were like pan-fried and were "gooey." Any Thai restaurant with a B 100 plate of phat-siew would be way better than the crap they served and called "chow mein."

I have yet to have an outstanding meal at Lakeside yet and I probably would not go back...at least for a meal. Maybe a sandwich or coffee and cake at the cafe at the front

Edited by MeetJohnDoe

Some follow-up opinions on the Lakeside Restaurant. I had high hopes for this place turning into a nice option for good food in a nice atmosphere for us here on the Farside. Considering its genes (Delibean Cafe) this was not unexpected. However, I am a little worried that they are still pretty shaky on the food and their pricing is on the high side. While the atmosphere is fine, with the koi pond stocked and the air-con dining room now open, they still do not seem to have hit their stride. The dining room itself does not have enough air-con and gets quite warm in the day due to it's western exposure. The decor is also sorta half-ass...neither plush nor simple and the yellow-brown (dirty brown) colour scheme is not too pleasing.

However, all that could be overlooked if the food was really good (and fairly priced). The problem is what I have tried has been mostly average, with some dishes downright awful. My most recent meal had me sample the garlic bread (fine and at B 60 no problem), the penne carbonara (okay, but at B 220, certainly not a value proposition. I would go for Tocino's version, at about the same price, anytime.), and the bacon-potato skins with sour cream - very good but a tiny portion of 2 smallish halves and expensive at B 160).

Another meal had me sampling from their "Asian" menu of Chinese food. Here they promote Western Chinese favorites like stir-fry beef in black-bean sauce, chow-meins of various types and other dishes. They note that the beef used is imported Australian and the prices certainly would call for it. I had to try the beef chow-mein as I have not had any since leaving the States 10 years ago. At B 260, I expected something special...but was I disappointed! What arrived was a tiny (I mean appetizer sized portion) of noodles, with little beef, the wrong noodles, and overly salty taste. It was really quite pathetic and was not remotely like what I would call "chow-mein." Some sort of wheat angel-hair pasta was used and of course, Chinese style egg noodles (or baa mee noodles in Thai) are called for. The beef, what little there was, was nothing special, and instead of being wok stir-fried they almost were like pan-fried and were "gooey." Any Thai restaurant with a B 100 plate of phat-siew would be way better than the crap they served and called "chow mein."

I have yet to have an outstanding meal at Lakeside yet and I probably would not go back...at least for a meal. Maybe a sandwich or coffee and cake at the cafe at the front

I have had at least one outstanding dish there; the John Dory fish. And my Thai family enjoyed most of the Thai dishes they ordered when we were there a couple of months ago.

That said, I agree with just about everything else you said here, John. I will add that I think they've made a bad "business decision" with the venue itself. I doubt that there is enough "high end" business in this area to support such a large facility. As you said, the prices are higher than what is charged by other places for food that is, at the very least, comparable in quality; and, in most cases, greater in quantity.

I think there's a rough road ahead for The Lakeside; and the original Deli Bean is a shorter drive for me (and for you) when I want a good sandwich, or smaller meal.

I have had at least one outstanding dish there; the John Dory fish. And my Thai family enjoyed most of the Thai dishes they ordered when we were there a couple of months ago.

Yes...this can be pretty much expected at all the farang restaurants in Pattaya...as the chefs are all Thai...unfortunately, in many cases, they think they can cook Western food up to a restaurant standard as well :)

I think the main problem is "menu creep." Why do many restaurants seem to think they have to have such an expansive menu...here including "Chinese" food? Why not edit the menu down to a manageable number of dishes and train the chefs to make them properly!

Edited by MeetJohnDoe

Just want to raise awareness for a new Italian place at the bottom of SSCC. Good sandwiches and other Italian stuff at reasonable prices. The place as such is nothing special, just a shophouse but they do deliveries.

Just want to raise awareness for a new Italian place at the bottom of SSCC. Good sandwiches and other Italian stuff at reasonable prices. The place as such is nothing special, just a shophouse but they do deliveries.

wife and i were pleased with these place. if anything, the prices are right. decent italian food without having to go all the way "downtown".

sidenote, is no one going to Nice still? i fear he's at his wits end trying to maintain a consistent fan base. i'm perplexed myself as i consider this to be the best westaurant this side of the rockies...