The Dark Side

paul1970

A huge thumbs up from me for the White Horse Pub, in the car park of the Eastern Grand Palace hotel on Khow Talow, just before you get to the railway line.

I have tried a few meals there now and all are very good and exceptionally well priced for a pub of this style.

The big breakfast at 140 baht is superb, specials every day at around 150 baht, pints of draught tiger at 80 baht, i had a gammon steak hawaian the other day at less than 200 baht!, the wife says the Thai food was good too.

Suits me just dandy, the place has pool tables, big televisions, air con inside, or can sit outside, dodgy kind of music in the evenings though - but entertaining :D . I believe if you eat/drink there you can use the hotel pool/gym facillities, but ask to make sure.

Everything is so clean and fresh, really nice, very happy with the place and eat there a few times a week now! :):D

Eating "over there" is allowed on some occasions...just don't make it a habit :)

Some nice updates...especially glad to hear that Maninpasta is good...it's definitely on my list of places to try.

Can you give location of the Rendezvous?

Will have to swing by Kiss to try the pancakes too

we have gone a bit quiet, eh? i went to Mike's Mexican last night, so i have little to add to the Darkside food thread :D

- Maninpasta which is inside SP5 is fuc_king fantastic, but who goes into a project they don't live in to have a bite to eat?

- The Rendezvous is a place that understands how to serve a great western dinner.

- Kiss has awesome pancakes, don't kid yourself.

Edited by FarangBuddha

Have seen this place many times but for some reason never stopped-in. Will definitely give it a try per your recommendation.

A huge thumbs up from me for the White Horse Pub, in the car park of the Eastern Grand Palace hotel on Khow Talow, just before you get to the railway line.
Edited by FarangBuddha

Sorry it's on the right, the left would put you in the Lake!!

Now you tell me!

sawang boriboon are on their way, but because SSCC is blocked off at the tracks it will be another 2 hours. hang in there!

Don't worry much--I'm in the middle of the lake and it's still only ankle deep. Tell them to bring a crane, the mud is like quicksand.

:)

Sorry it's on the right, the left would put you in the Lake!!

Now you tell me!

sawang boriboon are on their way, but because SSCC is blocked off at the tracks it will be another 2 hours. hang in there!

Don't worry much--I'm in the middle of the lake and it's still only ankle deep. Tell them to bring a crane, the mud is like quicksand.

- The Rendezvous is a place that understands how to serve a great western dinner. i think i've only ordered the pork chop dinner there, but it's huge, the fries/chips/mashed are plenty, fresh vegetables and a fuc_king gravy boat for each person. not many restaurants will hook you up with a gravy boat.

Agreed!

To complete their make-over, Rung Thip has changed their name to "Huge Restaurant." Don't ask me what the name is supposed to imply..huge portions, huge taste, huge value :D I suspect it's a bad case of English transliteration of some concept by the new Thai owners.

I am also sorry to have to report that after a couple visits there is no doubt in my mind that the Thai food is definitely not as good as before...they apparently changed chefs and the recipies. IMO, it is no where near as tasty as before and each of the dishes I ordered had the faint fishy taste as though they had been cooked in oil that had previously been used to prepare a fish dish :) I don't know if the farang dishes have changed (for better or worse). Unfortunately, I will now cross-off RT from my list for Thai food :D

Edited by FarangBuddha

I'll almost guarantee you'll be disappointed at the Red Lion. We live just around the corner, walking distance, 3 minutes. It's owned by a Brit., or an Aussie. Have eaten the Thai offerings.....nothing special,, but what I was looking forward to was English fish & chips, which is advertised on the menu outside the place.

What I got was two fairly good sized pieces of cod.....very little fish and loads of light soggy batter.....and a handful of fries. Very uninteresting and blah ! What ruined it was all the batter. The owner, who is ALWAYS there, like a mother hen looking over her chicks, saw me eyeballing the second piece of fish, came over to the table and asked if something was wrong. I didn't complain, I just asked for a "to go" bag, we paid our bill, and left. We won't return, that was our fourth visit. Take your wallet, you'll need it.

I'm really surprised he's still open, they seem to NEVER have any customers. We drive by there every day and never see anybody in the place nor cars in the lot.

I went to the Cafe Uno for the first time today with the wife and daughter and i have to say the food was excellent and even though it was a tad slow coming to the table it was well worth the wait. Unfortunately for the misses there was no Thai food available and assuming she got it right the reason is that the Thai cook has gone home for Songran.

She settled for the chicken snitzel and ate the lot................enough said!!

For the moment it looks like farang food only.

I will certainly recommend the restaurant to people I know who have yet to eat there.

I went to the Cafe Uno for the first time today with the wife and daughter and i have to say the food was excellent and even though it was a tad slow coming to the table it was well worth the wait. Unfortunately for the misses there was no Thai food available and assuming she got it right the reason is that the Thai cook has gone home for Songran.

She settled for the chicken snitzel and ate the lot................enough said!!

For the moment it looks like farang food only.

I will certainly recommend the restaurant to people I know who have yet to eat there.

that must certainly be the reason, the Thai food is good and the portions also massive!

Does somebody know the purpose of the huge building on construction at the end of Banlang 13, this is the

Soi just on the right side after the Courtyard coming from Siam Country Club, it looks like they are building a

kind of monastery.

Just saw that the Aqua Demey Bar, Soi Nernplubwan 47, near the Crossroad, is for sale.

Edited by luckyluke

Just saw that the Aqua Demey Bar, Soi Nernplubwan 47, near the Crossroad, is for sale.

Oh no, not again. Was just so pleased I could get Dao Pizzas again, and within 5 minutes from my house.... :)

well, how bad do you want it to stay open :D

Not that bad :D

Oh no, not again. Was just so pleased I could get Dao Pizzas again, and within 5 minutes from my house.... :D

well, how bad do you want it to stay open :D

Not that bad :D

Don't forget...it comes with a pool as well as your own harem :)

I would hope that the cooking staff and recipies are part of the sale...took me a year to find them! I don't want to have to hunt them down again.

I stopped there last night just after they closed (midnight) and if I remember right, the "for sale" sign was at the house next door. Thought to myself, not a bad property to buy.... :)

That's incorrect, the sign is on the outer wall of their motocycle parking area. If it was closed-up, it may have looked like it was the adjoing property. However, I'm not sure if its Aqua that's for sale or it's just a sign that the Aqua owners (or the land owners) have another property for sale. I will check the next time I'm there.

Edited by FarangBuddha

I stopped there last night just after they closed (midnight) and if I remember right, the "for sale" sign was at the house next door. Thought to myself, not a bad property to buy.... :)

That's incorrect, the sign is on the outer wall of their motocycle parking area. If it was closed-up, it may have looked like it was the adjoing property. However, I'm not sure if its Aqua that's for sale or it's just a sign that the Aqua owners (or the land owners) have another property for sale. I will check the next time I'm there.

please report back, I was at that place last week for the first time and decided to get back there more regularly...

Don't forget...it comes with a pool as well as your own harem :)

I would hope that the cooking staff and recipies are part of the sale...took me a year to find them! I don't want to have to hunt them down again.

Bearing in mind the results of the previous sale of dao cafe that will sure be a disillusion.

Maybe they think they can do the same over and over again.

please report back, I was at that place last week for the first time and decided to get back there more regularly...

Had dinner there tonite and spoke to some of the staff about the "for sale" sign. When I asked why they were selling after only being open around 6 months, they said there were too many problems with the police. (You would think they would have made their "protection" deal with the local captain before opening for business.) The price quoted was B 10M :D

When I later spoke to the cook, I said I didn't care about the sale, only that she stays on or else lets me know where she ends up :D

Edited by FarangBuddha

ouch...after Bristol Bar and the Brazilia this is the next establishment that gets extorted more money than they can make in profits? Wonder it's open season for gooses that lay golden eggs...? :)

Tried a newish Indian restaurant on Soi Nernplubwaan called My Home Nan & Curry, this is a small open fronted shop opposite the muslim school on Soi Nernplubwaan.

It's not the best place to have an eat in meal as it's all plastic tables and chairs and they don't sell alcohol but their food is very good and very cheap and all cooked freshly. Service can be slow if there are many customers as everything is cooked fresh and it seems there is only one cook.

I would recommend this place is better for a take away or delivery.

The highest priced dishes on the menu are the mutton curry's and prawn curry's at a whoping 140 baht :D:) in fact all the meat curry's are priced from 100 to 140 baht and vegetable curry's at 70 baht.

I tried the Onion Pakora 70 baht, Chicken Tikka Masala 130 baht, Saffron Rice 30 baht and Nan bread 20 baht and it was all extremely tasty and some of the best Indian food I've had in Pattaya at a much lower price than would normally be charged.

Free delivery is available for orders over 300 baht, telephone number is 0816641454 menu below.

-----------------

edit: I took the menu off, we had some kerfuffle with menu postings before and must apply the same standards to all.

Once again...recommending a place is ok, criticizing it also also ok, but posting entire menus or slagging off is not ok...

This is not an official rule, but a standard we should adhere to....ok? :D

Tried a newish Indian restaurant on Soi Nernplubwaan called My Home Nan & Curry, this is a small open fronted shop opposite the muslim school on Soi Nernplubwaan.

Oh my god...he lives...I thought you (OP) dropped off the face of the earth as I never see you adding to this massive thread you started :)

If you look back a few posts, you will see that I already reviewed this place. I agreed with your opinion that the food is very good and inexpensive and best ordered for take-away or delivery.

Oh my god...he lives...I thought you (OP) dropped off the face of the earth as I never see you adding to this massive thread you started :)

If you look back a few posts, you will see that I already reviewed this place. I agreed with your opinion that the food is very good and inexpensive and best ordered for take-away or delivery.

Went looking for this place today, could not find it. Maybe closed for Songkran?

Any more detail on the location?

Many thanks

Went looking for this place today, could not find it. Maybe closed for Songkran?

Any more detail on the location?

Many thanks

I ordered from them yesterday and they are open...asked owner if he'll close for Songkran and he said only on Monday the 19th.

It is easy to miss as there is no sign and just on open-air looking resto with a few tables inside. I may have neglected to mention that they are only open for dinner from 4 p.m. onwards. Again, it's located on the the corner of soi 8/1 Nernplubwan - opposite the police-office that's located just before the Muslim school/temple (if coming from Sukhumvit). Good luck finding it as the food is really good (have had the chicken tikka masala twice and the chicken korma...both excellent).

Edited by FarangBuddha

ouch...after Bristol Bar and the Brazilia this is the next establishment that gets extorted more money than they can make in profits? Wonder it's open season for gooses that lay golden eggs...? :)

I can confirm the above...

Had dinner there tonite and spoke to some of the staff about the "for sale" sign. When I asked why they were selling after only being open around 6 months, they said there were too many problems with the police. (You would think they would have made their "protection" deal with the local captain before opening for business.)

Main problem is it is not the local captain alone anymore. All the BiB want a piece of the pie, and goes as far as Chonburi and Bkk teams descending on the darkside (and apparently Jomtien) and doing the rounds.

Makes it impossible to do a financial prediction on "overhead"...