The Dark Side

paul1970

[since my op - thanks to the contributions of others on the thread, there are 3 places I didn't know about that have also received unqualified "good" ratings from fellow Farsiders. These are Rung's, Chesters, Mennikin Piss, and Chonlada's. If you have not done already, check out the thread for reviews and directions to these places too. :o

PS: How does one "mark" a Google map?

Look back to post #261 - where 'jimmyd' has posted such a map.

Maybe he would be good enough to initiate all us less computer-savvy TVers into the mystic science.

I think you guys have to sign up for a gmail account or somehow register with google. When you do that, the map I created is fully editable--I created it that way so it could be a collaboration. It's quite easy to figure out how to add places. Here's the url again:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&i....11673&z=13

At the top it says 'sign in.'

If you click that, you can see a button to register for a gmail account.

Edited by Jimmyd

post-39372-1208523360.jpgNot that important, but the name is Manneken Pis( not Mennikin Piss), New York has the Statue Of Liberty, Copenhagen has the Mermaid and Brussels has the Manneken Pis

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

...., Mennikin Piss, ....

Edited by luckyluke

post-39372-1208523360.jpgNot that important, but the name is Manneken Pis( not Mennikin Piss), New York has the Statue Of Liberty, Copenhagen has the Mermaid and Brussels has the Manneken Pis

Nice editing there Luke :o

Is it also not true that there is a Miss Mennikin Piss too? Not so famous but I thought I saw her once on some TV travel show once.

I think you guys have to sign up for a gmail account or somehow register with google. When you do that, the map I created is fully editable--I created it that way so it could be a collaboration. It's quite easy to figure out how to add places. Here's the url again:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&i....11673&z=13

I have gone ahead and added many of the restaurants we have mention on the map. At least the ones on and just off Nernplubwan. I have not got to the area east of Wat Satuwas yet (the "Lake District"). I think all my pinpoints are accurate...would hate to lead anyone on a wild goose chase :o

post-39372-1208568125.jpg

She is called : Jeanneke Pis and is also in Brussel

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xx

Is it also not true that there is a Miss Mennikin Piss too? Not so famous but I thought I saw her once on some TV travel show once.

Just another supplemental report on Tieno Italian restaurant. I had another dinner there tonite and it was excellent. I had a starter of spaghetti carbonara and a main course of pork fillet with mushroom cream sauce. Both were excellent. The carbonara I have had before so this was not new. However, this is the first time I have ordered any of the meat entres. The fillet was a generous sized piece of very tender meat and grilled to perfection. The sauce was very good as well. I would highly recommend this dish to anyone who likes pork.

My friend had the spaghetti with olive oil and garlic. While the it was good, there was way too much chopped garlic, which overpowered the dish. I would not recommend it.

As to desserts, they are all pretty good, with my favorite being the chocolate torfuto. Basically, a round chocolate truffle ball with an eggnog flavored center. Delish. :o

Just another supplemental report on Tieno Italian restaurant. I had another dinner there tonite and it was excellent. I had a starter of spaghetti carbonara and a main course of pork fillet with mushroom cream sauce. Both were excellent. The carbonara I have had before so this was not new. However, this is the first time I have ordered any of the meat entres. The fillet was a generous sized piece of very tender meat and grilled to perfection. The sauce was very good as well. I would highly recommend this dish to anyone who likes pork.

My friend had the spaghetti with olive oil and garlic. While the it was good, there was way too much chopped garlic, which overpowered the dish. I would not recommend it.

As to desserts, they are all pretty good, with my favorite being the chocolate torfuto. Basically, a round chocolate truffle ball with an eggnog flavored center. Delish. :D

John, John, John! How are you going to steer people to this very good Italian restaurant if you continue to misspell it?! :o

It's "Ticino's".

As for the spaghetti with olive oil and galic that your friend had, I'll have to try that, since there is no such thing as "too much garlic" for me! :D One thing that Thais and Italians have in common is their love of garlic. I have no idea where my love of it comes from, since my heritage is English, Irish, and Dutch (typical American mongrel!). But I've loved garlic since I was a child.

We haven't been to Ticino's in a while, since I tend to make the drive to Pan Pan when I crave Italian food. My wife loves their plain pizza bread; and their marinara sauce is outstanding. I love the New Zealand mussels with tomato sauce; as well as all their pastas. Sorry, Darksiders, but, IMO, Pan Pan is the best Italian restaurant in the Pattaya area.

John, John, John! How are you going to steer people to this very good Italian restaurant if you continue to misspell it?! :D

It's "Ticino's".

Good catch there George :D

As for the spaghetti with olive oil and galic that your friend had, I'll have to try that, since there is no such thing as "too much garlic" for me! :D

I am totally in agreement with you. Very very rarely does a dish have too much garlic for me...but their version of pasta del olio ceretainly did. I think this is because other than the garlic, this dish contains only oil, chile flakes, and salt/pepper. Since it is basically nothing but condiments, it can be overdone :o

Sorry, Darksiders, but, IMO, Pan Pan is the best Italian restaurant in the Pattaya area.

Pan Pan has decent Italian...that mussel dish is good. I particularly like their penne dela casa...to me, it's the closest thing to macaroni and cheese I have come to in Thailand...not too Italian however. Their meat and real mashed potato dishes are good also, and of course, their dessert selection is outstanding and waist expanding!!

I finally got round to trying Dao cafe last night and had tomato soup, followed by steak with mushrooms and saute potatoes and a beer. I must say for a very reasonable 380 baht the food was very good and I will certainly eat here again. I am tempted to try the pizza next time, though I seem to remember (without trolling through the large number of posts) someone saying that the pizza was not good, what I can't remember is if someone said it's good if you eat it fresh in the cafe and if it was just not good delivered.

Anyway from first impressions they will see me there again.

I finally got round to trying Dao cafe last night and had tomato soup, followed by steak with mushrooms and saute potatoes and a beer. I must say for a very reasonable 380 baht the food was very good and I will certainly eat here again. I am tempted to try the pizza next time, though I seem to remember (without trolling through the large number of posts) someone saying that the pizza was not good, what I can't remember is if someone said it's good if you eat it fresh in the cafe and if it was just not good delivered.

Anyway from first impressions they will see me there again.

What a coincidence. I also went to Dao last night, specifically to try the pizza. I arrived at about 8:00 PM. I ordered the "Dao pizza". I has cheese, very small portions of ground beef, onion, and bell pepper. But the crust (medium thick) was very good; and the taste was very good; the size was more than adequate for one person with a good appetite. As I said, I would have preferred a little more of the toppings. However, at 165 baht!, it was a great bargain, as well as a very tasty pizza. I would definitely order it, or other of the many varieties offered, again.

Just a couple of anecdotes about Mulligans , the Irish style restaurant and Pub out on the Mabprachan Lake.

Last Christmas Eve, I went there with a party of 6 people to have a few drinks and to have dinner. We were there around 8 p.m. and the place was in full swing with a live band and getting into the Christmas spirit. We asked for, and were given menus, and duly ordered our food. About five minutes later the waitress returned and told us they were sorry but they couldn't take any food orders as the staff were too tired preparing for the next day's Christmas lunch. We complained to the manger, and asked if they couldn't rustle us up a few sandwiches, but he was adamant that no food was available that evening. Needless to say we were a bit upset and adjourned to Khun Johns for our meal.

Fast forward to Saturday, April 19th. Alone this time, I arrived at Mulligans at 8.45 and asked for a menu. I was told that the staff had been playing Songkran all day and the kitchen was closed!! Now this was a Saturday night, and there was a fair sprinkling of people in the pub drinking. I was a bit drunk and was a bit upset. The Manager told me there was nothing he could do, and that in any event "Out Back was closed completely, and at least they were open for drinks!! I continued to voice my displeasure, when, low and behold, about 5 meals appeared from the kitchen and were served to various customers.

When I protested, I was told that they had ordered the food before I arrived. "But you told me there was no staff!" Oh.. er we have one, but she won't cook any more food." He then told me that he also was hungry and hadn't eaten, as though that was supposed to placate me.!

I would add that the owner was also present throughout this exchange and made no attempt to get involved or offer any explanation or apology.

They clearly have no control over there staff who seem to be able to down tools and refuse to cook any time they feel like it.

A small Post Script. One of the customers took exception to my voluble complaining and threatened to "ff.cking throw me out". I invited him to do just that, if he was able, but he wouldn't even meet my eyes and slunk away to another bar. Then unintentionally, I ran into him again at the Fisherman's, (where I had my meal), where upon he immediately departed without finishing his drink or paying his bill, telling the owner that "I was out to get him!!" :o

Such is life on the Dark Side :D

A small Post Script. One of the customers took exception to my voluble complaining and threatened to "ff.cking throw me out". I invited him to do just that, if he was able, but he wouldn't even meet my eyes and slunk away to another bar. Then unintentionally, I ran into him again at the Fisherman's, (where I had my meal), where upon he immediately departed without finishing his drink or paying his bill, telling the owner that "I was out to get him!!" :o

Such is life on the Dark Side :D

I have never been to Mulligan's and from your report, doesn't sound like I would be in any hurry to try it.

As you say you were a little tipsy yourself, are you sure this really all happened out here on the Farside? It sounds like to me much more like the friendly antics that happen on the "other side" on a nitely basis all around town :D

As to Paul, I was the one I think you are referring to commenting negatively on Dao's pizzas. And you are right, this opinion was based on a single instance of a take-out pizza. As other reports were to the contrary, I retried the pizza in-house and posted amended comments that in fact, the pizza was quite good. I have become a regular fan of the Margarita pizza, which funny enough, is a pizza with ham and not just cheese.

Mobi - hitman of the Mob.

What's it like to strike terror in the hearts of Darksiders?

Not bad for a 61 year old who could hardly make up the stairs to Mulligan's bar, has chronic heart disease, diabetes and a string of medical complaints I won't bore you with.

I was all set to protect myself with my bag of pills :D Or maybe I could have jabbed him with my insulin pen. :o

Well I tried the pizza at Dao this afternoon for lunch and it is probably one of the better pizza's I have tried in Pattaya, though I could certainly see how they wouldn't travel well. I can just imagine a whole soggy lump arriving after a few Kms in a box on the back of a bike. I think for a pizza to travel well it has to be of the deep pan (Chicago style I beleive) variety. Luckily for me I'm only a few minutes away from Dao by scooter so I now know where to go when I get my infrequent pizza craving.

PS the missus was with me and commented on the thai food she had being the best thai food she has had in any farang restaurant in Pattaya.

Mobi - hitman of the Mob.

What's it like to strike terror in the hearts of Darksiders?

Not bad for a 61 year old who could hardly make up the stairs to Mulligan's bar, has chronic heart disease, diabetes and a string of medical complaints I won't bore you with.

I was all set to protect myself with my bag of pills :D Or maybe I could have jabbed him with my insulin pen. :D

Perhaps you should change your handle to The Godfather and start carrying a violin case with you :o . Never been to Mulligans and from what I've read probably will not bother too.

Well I tried the pizza at Dao this afternoon for lunch and it is probably one of the better pizza's I have tried in Pattaya, though I could certainly see how they wouldn't travel well. I can just imagine a whole soggy lump arriving after a few Kms in a box on the back of a bike. I think for a pizza to travel well it has to be of the deep pan (Chicago style I beleive) variety. Luckily for me I'm only a few minutes away from Dao by scooter so I now know where to go when I get my infrequent pizza craving.

PS the missus was with me and commented on the thai food she had being the best thai food she has had in any farang restaurant in Pattaya.

Looks like we're all in agreement on Dao's pizza. (Although it took John 2 tries to get it right!) :D

Paul, your wife's comment on the Thai food is interesting. On both occasions that I've eaten there, I spoke with the owner, Derrick. Both times he was quick to volunteer that "I wouldn't say that our Thai food is the best in town." He seemed very apologetic about it. I'm hoping that your wife's opinion is closer to the truth than Derrick's. :D (I won't tell my wife about that, however. She is much more likely to go in with a negative opinion if somebody else, no matter who, says the food is good. She HATES to be "led" to anything; and ALWAYS wants to form her own opinion. ... I gave up arguing the point many years ago!) :o

Addendum to Dao Cafe's pizzas. I had the spicy salami pizza last nite and it was very good. It has much more "kick" to it than the rather mild Margarita ham pizza :o For some reason, this pizza is not listed on the menu and I only found out about it as I spotted someone having one as I walk in and asked one of the waitresses what it was.

Chonlada gets better and better! Pook is more genuinely dedicated to creating a restaurant that she can be proud of than any owner I have met here. She appreciates opinions and suggestions, and follows up on everything she hears.

The latest example is the addition to her menu of a genuine Western Omelet, American style. Yes, the suggestion, along with a recipe, came from me. I had one this morning, and it was the best omelet I have had in any restaurant in Pattaya! She will soon be adding genuine home fried potatoes to go with that omelet, or as an option to other breakfast items. She teaches her cooks how to make new items, tests them herself, and adjusts, according to her taste, and the suggestions of customers.

Next week, she will begin attending a cooking school in BKK on Saturdays. As quickly as she picks things up, and with her dedication to becoming an outstanding restaurant, I know we can expect continuing improvement.

(P.S. to mods: This is NOT an advertisement. It is an unsolicited review of one of my favorite restaurants here on the Darkside. I am NOT affiliated with Chonlada Coffee House in any way, other than as a very satisfied customer.)

Chonlada gets better and better! Pook is more genuinely dedicated to creating a restaurant that she can be proud of than any owner I have met here. She appreciates opinions and suggestions, and follows up on everything she hears.

Careful there George, your half human side is showing. All your emotional praise for Pook's cooking and your joy in eating it is getting the better of you :o

Can you give us a rundown on her open hours and is she open everyday? Sounds like it might be a place to consider for a Sunday brunch.

Can you also get her up to speed on a bacon, cheddar, and mushroom omelette...then let us know :D

Edited by jonniebkk

Careful there George, your half human side is showing. All your emotional praise for Pook's cooking and your joy in eating it is getting the better of you :o

Can you give us a rundown on her open hours and is she open everyday? Sounds like it might be a place to consider for a Sunday brunch.

Can you also get her up to speed on a bacon, cheddar, and mushroom omelette...then let us know :D

Yeah, John, I definitely get enthusiastic about finding a place where I can truly enjoy the food, and the company. Pook (a HAPPILY MARRIED MOTHER OF A 2-YEAR OLD, BTW) is just a sweetheart to talk with, which really maximizes the enjoyment of a meal for me.

Chonlada opens at either 7:30 or 8:00. I forget which. They close at 6:00 PM. Pook's plans are to expand significantly. They have room on the property to do so. They will make the entire building that is currently the small restaurant (seats a max of about 20 inside now), kitchen, and office, into restaurant seating. They'll build a new, larger kitchen on the property adjacent to that building. The timing of that, however, depends upon how quickly they can save the money to finance it.

You want a bacon, cheddar, and mushroom omelet? No need to wait for me. Just ask, John. If she has the ingredients on hand, she'll do it. If not, she'll get them for you for your next visit. Now that she and her cook know how to make an American style omelet, making it with different ingredients will be no problem. But remember, she won't be there on Saturdays for the next few weeks, since she'll be at cooking school in BKK.

There is nothing wrong about getting enthusiastic about Chonlada's restaurant. It probably is the best place for breakfast in town. I wonder why their coffee is so much better than in many other places...they also do nothing but pressing the button on the coffee machine to produce it...

There is nothing wrong about getting enthusiastic about Chonlada's restaurant. It probably is the best place for breakfast in town. I wonder why their coffee is so much better than in many other places...they also do nothing but pressing the button on the coffee machine to produce it...

Magic water?

Magic water?

The coffee is an Italian brand - "Mocono", I think. I asked Pook if she sells it ground. She said they will do so soon. So then you can try pushing the button on your own machine, and see if it tastes as good. :o

Magic water?

The coffee is an Italian brand - "Mocono", I think. I asked Pook if she sells it ground. She said they will do so soon. So then you can try pushing the button on your own machine, and see if it tastes as good. :o

It's probably MOCONA from Douwe Egberts. It's dutch BTW.

Cheers

onzestan

It's probably MOCONA from Douwe Egberts. It's dutch BTW.

Cheers

onzestan

I was wrong about the name, but right about the home source. It's MOKADOR; and it is originally from Italy. I suspect that the source that serves Thailand is "Mokador Caffe Australia". In any case, it really is excellent coffee. You can read about it here:

http://www.mokador.com.au/home.html