The Dark Side

paul1970

The coffee is an Italian brand - "Mocono", I think. I asked Pook if she sells it ground. She said they will do so soon. So then you can try pushing the button on your own machine, and see if it tastes as good. :D
It's probably MOCONA from Douwe Egberts. It's dutch BTW.

Cheers

onzestan

I was wrong about the name, but right about the home source. It's MOKADOR; and it is originally from Italy. I suspect that the source that serves Thailand is "Mokador Caffe Australia". In any case, it really is excellent coffee. You can read about it here:

http://www.mokador.com.au/home.html

Sorry my mistake :D

But you did put me on the wrong track :o

Will have to try it.

cheers

onzestan

Edited by onzestan

Sorry my mistake :D

But you did put me on the wrong track :D

Will have to try it.

cheers

onzestan

Yes, I did put you on the wrong track. Not your mistake. MY mistake. In my defense, I at least had the first two letters right! :o

But let us know if you agree on the quality of the coffee. And, of course, the food! :D

Just come back from Chonlada's and I have to admit at not being impressed at all.

Had 1 capuccino and a clubsandwich.

Coffee was good but very petite, and the clubsandwich although not to bad, loses out head over heels for the same at DeliBean.

Very clean resto and very friendly people but thats not the main reason I go to a restaurant.

Maybe it's only me?

cheers

onzestan

Just come back from Chonlada's and I have to admit at not being impressed at all.

Had 1 capuccino and a clubsandwich.

Coffee was good but very petite, and the clubsandwich although not to bad, loses out head over heels for the same at DeliBean.

Very clean resto and very friendly people but thats not the main reason I go to a restaurant.

Maybe it's only me?

cheers

onzestan

I have a couple of questions and a couple of statements, onzestan. First, the questions. Is the price of the club sandwich at DeliBean the same as the price at Chonlada? What makes the DeliBean sandwich better than the one at Chonlada? I mean "loses out head over heels" doesn't really say anything, does it? :o

Now, a couple of points about the club sandwich at Chonlada. I had it once, and gave Pook my criticism. Primarily, that was that a "true" Club Sandwich, as made in the USA, has a slice of turkey breast or chicken breast, and not a fried egg. There should also be a slice of Swiss (or other) cheese; and a thicker slice of ham (or 2 slices). The overall flavor of it, IMO, was good, aside from the egg vs. turkey or chicken issue.

Also, sometime in the relatively near future, Pook will be adding a set of "super size" (or some other term) alternatives for many of the items on the menu, particularly the sandwiches and burgers. I suggested that to her, because, as I told her, most farangs are used to sandwiches with at least double the amount of meat and cheese (if applicable) that is put into sandwiches here in Thailand. She is, correctly, concerned about keeping the prices down to a level that Thais can afford. So my suggestion was to have the "super size" option, at a significantly higher price, added to the menu.

Personallly, I would MUCH rather pay 150 baht, or so, for a ham and cheese sandwich with 3 slices of ham, and 2 slices of cheese, than 90 baht for a wafer thin "snack" with 1 slice of each. People who do not have "big appetites" may not agree with that. It's just my preference. There's no way that any restaurant, other than a major chain, can make what I'd consider a "good sandwich" for under 120 baht, as an absolute minimum.

I don't know now far you live from Chonlada, onzestan. However, if you are reasonably close, I'd suggest that you try more than one item from the menu before writing the place off. If you live at a distance of over 5 or 6 kms, then it is probably not worth your while to travel that far for anything other than a very special venue, which Chonlada certainly is not. It's just a nice neighborhood restaurant, where they're doing their best to learn and improve. Since it's only 2-1/2 kms from my house, and is easily the best option for western food within that range, I'll continue to be a regular customer; and I'll continue to offer specific constructive criticism, in an attempt to help them improve and grow.

I have a couple of questions and a couple of statements, onzestan. First, the questions. Is the price of the club sandwich at DeliBean the same as the price at Chonlada? What makes the DeliBean sandwich better than the one at Chonlada? I mean "loses out head over heels" doesn't really say anything, does it? :o

Now, a couple of points about the club sandwich at Chonlada. I had it once, and gave Pook my criticism. Primarily, that was that a "true" Club Sandwich, as made in the USA, has a slice of turkey breast or chicken breast, and not a fried egg. There should also be a slice of Swiss (or other) cheese; and a thicker slice of ham (or 2 slices). The overall flavor of it, IMO, was good, aside from the egg vs. turkey or chicken issue.

Also, sometime in the relatively near future, Pook will be adding a set of "super size" (or some other term) alternatives for many of the items on the menu, particularly the sandwiches and burgers. I suggested that to her, because, as I told her, most farangs are used to sandwiches with at least double the amount of meat and cheese (if applicable) that is put into sandwiches here in Thailand. She is, correctly, concerned about keeping the prices down to a level that Thais can afford. So my suggestion was to have the "super size" option, at a significantly higher price, added to the menu.

Personallly, I would MUCH rather pay 150 baht, or so, for a ham and cheese sandwich with 3 slices of ham, and 2 slices of cheese, than 90 baht for a wafer thin "snack" with 1 slice of each. People who do not have "big appetites" may not agree with that. It's just my preference. There's no way that any restaurant, other than a major chain, can make what I'd consider a "good sandwich" for under 120 baht, as an absolute minimum.

I don't know now far you live from Chonlada, onzestan. However, if you are reasonably close, I'd suggest that you try more than one item from the menu before writing the place off. If you live at a distance of over 5 or 6 kms, then it is probably not worth your while to travel that far for anything other than a very special venue, which Chonlada certainly is not. It's just a nice neighborhood restaurant, where they're doing their best to learn and improve. Since it's only 2-1/2 kms from my house, and is easily the best option for western food within that range, I'll continue to be a regular customer; and I'll continue to offer specific constructive criticism, in an attempt to help them improve and grow.

Hi George,

Wow, I'm sorry if I rained on your parade.

You may have noticed that I finished by saying that it's probably me, and maybe I was expecting to much, but that's hardly my fault is it.

Anyway I don't want to enter into a discussion about what you or I find a good clubsandwich because as has been mentioned many times before, tastes differ.

It is my opinion that the clubsandwich at Delibean's is a lot closer to what I find to be good than the one I ate today at Chonlada"s. I don't remember exactly how much it is at Delibeans, but even if it's dearer I don't mind that one bit.

Again, you like it very much and I'm sorry if my experience is different from yours but that's exactly the point of this topic isn't it.

cheers

onzestan

p.s. btw I live at Wantana Villa right next to Pattaya Land & house.

George...you're in a very emphatic mood today...posted that reply twice :D

Been taken care of :D:D

Probably his iffy CAT connection!

Indeed it was, Monty. Thanks for the deletion.

I wasn't feeling emphatic, John. Just impatient. As usual. dam_n connection froze, so I hit the 'Send' button again.

How I love the Thai internet! :o

I have a couple of questions and a couple of statements, onzestan. First, the questions. Is the price of the club sandwich at DeliBean the same as the price at Chonlada? What makes the DeliBean sandwich better than the one at Chonlada? I mean "loses out head over heels" doesn't really say anything, does it? :D

Hi George,

Wow, I'm sorry if I rained on your parade.

You may have noticed that I finished by saying that it's probably me, and maybe I was expecting to much, but that's hardly my fault is it.

Anyway I don't want to enter into a discussion about what you or I find a good clubsandwich because as has been mentioned many times before, tastes differ.

It is my opinion that the clubsandwich at Delibean's is a lot closer to what I find to be good than the one I ate today at Chonlada"s. I don't remember exactly how much it is at Delibeans, but even if it's dearer I don't mind that one bit.

Again, you like it very much and I'm sorry if my experience is different from yours but that's exactly the point of this topic isn't it.

cheers

onzestan

p.s. btw I live at Wantana Villa right next to Pattaya Land & house.

No offense taken at all, onzestan. :D I'm sorry if I came across too strongly. :D

I am in complete agreement regarding the fact that tastes differ. :o I was simply trying to get some specifics of what disappointed you about the sandwich at Chonlada. As I said, my criticism of it was that it contains a fried egg, rather than a slice of turkey breast or chicken breast; and that it lacks the amount of meat and cheese that I believe should be in a club sandwich. I'm just wondering if your criticism was based upon the same, or different factors. Like you, I don't mind paying a bit more at all for what I consider good food, in adequate quantity.

Again, my goal with Chonlada is to try to help this very sweet young lady improve the quality of her western food. And my reasons are as much selfish as kindly. I would love to have a restaurant that close to my house where I can regularly get a variety of items that suit my taste. The personality and good English language skills of Pook, the cleanliness of the place, and the air conditioned comfort all combine with location to make Chonlada a great place for me, if I can help her get the recipes up to what I'd like.

Drop in some morning and try the new Western Omelet. Tell her I suggested that you try it. She'll take special care to make sure the cook makes it properly.

But whatever you try, be sure to give Pook an honest critique, whether positive or negative. She will really appreciate it, and take your comments seriously. How many Thai restaurants do that? :D

Went by the Courtyard on Saturday and it had a sign saying "Open all day, every day" (or words to that effect)

Went by again yesterday afternoon and it was shut tight with a small sign which i couldn't read properly, but said something to the effect that it closed for 2-3 days as they had run out of something!!!

What with restaurants where the staff are too tired to cook (Mulligans) and places that seem to open and close on a whim, it doesn't say much for the professionalism of some of these establishments.

There are little, if any, tourists on the Darkside, and these places have to build up loyal custom amongst the local residents.

The mind boggles :o

I'm partial to the odd club sandwich, but I'm not a connoisseur - I just like what I like :D

Manneke Pis does a fair club sandwich, as does Dao's restaurant. Try them.

I must try the Delibean - keep forgetting about it :o

Went by the Courtyard on Saturday and it had a sign saying "Open all day, every day" (or words to that effect)

Went by again yesterday afternoon and it was shut tight with a small sign which i couldn't read properly, but said something to the effect that it closed for 2-3 days as they had run out of something!!!

What with restaurants where the staff are too tired to cook (Mulligans) and places that seem to open and close on a whim, it doesn't say much for the professionalism of some of these establishments.

There are little, if any, tourists on the Darkside, and these places have to build up loyal custom amongst the local residents.

The mind boggles :o

I noticed too and actually slowed down to read the sign.

It said that they were closed because of the elections. :D

cheers

onzestan

I'm partial to the odd club sandwich, but I'm not a connoisseur - I just like what I like :D

Manneke Pis does a fair club sandwich, as does Dao's restaurant. Try them.

I must try the Delibean - keep forgetting about it :o

Definitely get out to Deli Bean Mobi as they have the best Western type sandwiches on the Farside IMHO. They are just as good as any sandwich you would get at Au Bon Pain or Delifrance (actually better sometimes). Prices are higher than most places out our way but quality and size makes them good value.

I noticed too and actually slowed down to read the sign.

It said that they were closed because of the elections. :o

cheers

onzestan

I just couldn't stop my mind from wandering on this. Think about a Thai trying to tell you, verbally, that the place was "closed because of the eLections"! :D

I had the great pleasure of (finally!) meeting John ('jonniebkk') this morning over breakfast at Chonlada. We were the first customers to sample the pancakes that Pook has recently added to the menu. Mine were served first, and were a little bit overcooked - not burned, but a bit too brown. When I pointed that out, Pook soon returned with a complimentary pancake for John, which was a perfect golden brown. Belive me, guys, the lady listens!

John had ordered the new Western Omelet, and wasn't as pleased with it as I had been. I'll let him provide the specifics of his criticism.

But the bottom line is that Pook continues to add to the menu, and continues to listen and respond to all constructive criticism.

As for John, I enjoyed the meeting, and look forward to a growing friendship with a fellow American.

Yes, it was a pleasure to met up with Khun George and "talk shop" with a fellow "Yank" (and being from Boston, far north of the Mason-Dixon line, the term is certainly appropriate). It was also my first time trying Chonlado cafe and overall it was a pleasant experince (facilitated by good food and conversation).

I can second that the the pancakes were very good and true to the American style of making them. They were not too thick, like you find in many places in LOS, and they were not too thin (or more like a crepe) that you sometimes get too...they were just right. Mine were golden brown and the taste was excellent...I don't know if the batter was from scratch or a mix but it was very good. I definitely will be back for more. The Mocana brand coffee is good and the size of the cup generous.

As for my Western omelete, it was just okay. The basic problem was it was cooked in the "Thai" style...in a flat circular manner and not fluffy and folded over as would be done back home. It was basically a Thai omelete (kai jeow) with the fillings of a Western omelete (sweet peppers and onions). Aslo, for some reason, I couldn't get much taste out of it...even after liberally sprinkling it with salt, pepper, Tabasco, and even, in a last desperate attempt, catsup :o

Overall, I will be giving Chonlada more visits to sample some more dishes. The atmosphere is nice and Pook is a friendly host.

Night before last, I made another trip to Dao Cafe for a pizza. He had escargot on the "Specials" board again, so I decided to try it. Good decision, if you like escargot. They serve it in a small dish, with the snails out of the shells, in oil and garlic.

I ordered the salami, chicken, and onion pizza; and requested that they add garlic. I have only one objection to it. They put too much oil on top. But, in every other way, it was delicious. I can obviously request that they cut the oil next time; so Dao remains a good source for pizza, in my book.

Now some peripheral bad news. I went in via the "back way" this time, coming in from Kao Noi. The soi is a DISASTER; with more holes than a battlefield! Enter at your own risk.

Then, MORE bad news. They have torn up the entire crossroad at the railroad bridge, on the east side of the bridge. It is not possible to get across in a car. That takes away my favorite route to Sukhumvit, because, other than the last few hundred yards, there's minimal traffic coming off of Nernplubwarn's Soi 24, past Sure Park, and up to Kao Noi. Now it's back to motorbike hel_l, until they reopen the crossroad; and who knows how long that will take. It would be great if somebody in that area would let us know when that does open, by the way. Or perhaps there's a useable "detour" to get up to Sukhumvit another way off of Kao Noi, before the bridge?

Night before last, I made another trip to Dao Cafe for a pizza. He had escargot on the "Specials" board again, so I decided to try it. Good decision, if you like escargot. They serve it in a small dish, with the snails out of the shells, in oil and garlic.

And you call yourself a fellow American. Everyone knows patriotic Americans don't eat slugs -French style, or brie cheese, argula, or drink white wine! Only Velveta, iceberg, and Bud :o

I ordered the salami, chicken, and onion pizza; and requested that they add garlic. I have only one objection to it. They put too much oil on top.

You are right about the oil but I think the source is the spicy salami itself (that's why I like it soooo much). You could take some napkins, however, and blot off the extra oil (I always use my bread to soak it up and then down the hatch :D ).

And you call yourself a fellow American. Everyone knows patriotic Americans don't eat slugs -French style, or brie cheese, argula, or drink white wine! Only Velveta, iceberg, and Bud :D

I ordered the salami, chicken, and onion pizza; and requested that they add garlic. I have only one objection to it. They put too much oil on top.

You are right about the oil but I think the source is the spicy salami itself (that's why I like it soooo much). You could take some napkins, however, and blot off the extra oil (I always use my bread to soak it up and then down the hatch :D ).

And where was pizza created, John; Kansas? :D I also like bratwurst, sashimi, and larb gai. I guess, when it comes to food, I'm just a mongrel! :D

As for the oil, when I said "too much", I meant that I don't want to consume it. Soaking it up with bread does not accomplish that goal. :o

Has anyone been in a restaurant called Petanque?

If you pass The Courtyard, going towards Neun Plub Wan, it is along on the left.

It always looks closed to me, but I just wondered :o

For those of you over on The Pong side, the Moonraker has re-opened after re-decoration and a new name - Mullally's.

I haven't tried it yet, but by all accounts it hasn't changed much

The Fishermans Rest have now started a pizza delivery service called Bella Pizza.

There will be advertising and menus sent out next week when it opens properly.

I tried the pizzas at the soft opening last week and they were very nice, I still prefer the Indian food though. :D

I'm not gonna say too much as I'll get accused of posting adverts :D but I think you sceptic septics will like it :o

Has anyone been in a restaurant called Petanque?

If you pass The Courtyard, going towards Neun Plub Wan, it is along on the left.

It always looks closed to me, but I just wondered :D

For those of you over on The Pong side, the Moonraker has re-opened after re-decoration and a new name - Mullally's.

I haven't tried it yet, but by all accounts it hasn't changed much

Was at the opening of Mullaly's, you did not miss much. I thought you had an opening to highlight the things you can do, rather than the things you can't.

The Fishermans Rest have now started a pizza delivery service called Bella Pizza.

There will be advertising and menus sent out next week when it opens properly.

I tried the pizzas at the soft opening last week and they were very nice, I still prefer the Indian food though. :D

I'm not gonna say too much as I'll get accused of posting adverts :D but I think you sceptic septics will like it :o

The pizza is good, plenty of toppings, thin crust for the "traditionalists". The generous amount of oregano will e fixed by opening I hope, the piza person has to understand it is a herb not a topping. :D It was good to see Kurgen playing some inspired pool that night.

Indian Kitchen - Soi Khaotalo, about 1 km past the railway, going East. After the first 7-11 but before the second one. Open 13:00 - 23:00.

Tried this tonight for the first time - only been open since the beginning of May. Everyone's opinion on Indian food differs but, for what it's worth, I found this place quite acceptable. The wife and I had:-

Poppadoms (4) with pickles - very good, crispy and not greasy.

Pullao rice (2) - a bit on the soggy side and needs improvement.

Chicken karai - very tasty and quite spicy too.

Lamb vindaloo - could have done with being a bit spicier (asked for pet maak) and a bit short on the lamb chunks. Very flavoursome though.

Plain naan bread (2) - very well done and quite large.

Beer Tiger (2) - cold and beer Tiger; what more is there to say.

Red wine (glass) - apparently OK but didn't try it myself.

All of the above - 845 Baht (but includes 20% promotional discount - available until May 31). Not the cheapest meal in Pattaya but not bad considering the lack of competition for Indian food. Portions could have been a little larger but overall I'd give the place 7/10, maybe 8/10 with the discount. Certainly convenient for us dark-siders, especially those in the nether reaches of Khaotalo. I've had better in BKK but that's a 2-hour bus ride away!

DM

Indian Kitchen - Soi Khaotalo, about 1 km past the railway, going East. After the first 7-11 but before the second one. Open 13:00 - 23:00.

Nice addition to the thread DM :o We have not had any information about any "ethnic" food places to date. On occasion I like an Indian dinner and would be up for giving this place a try. I am no expert on Indian food and often it all seems to taste the same to me...basically meats stewed in curry sauces of one type or another.

Is this place a proper restaurant. - by that I mean enclosed and aircon and not just some open shophouse type place with only fans?

Thanks again.

Nice addition to the thread DM :D We have not had any information about any "ethnic" food places to date. On occasion I like an Indian dinner and would be up for giving this place a try. I am no expert on Indian food and often it all seems to taste the same to me...basically meats stewed in curry sauces of one type or another.

Is this place a proper restaurant. - by that I mean enclosed and aircon and not just some open shophouse type place with only fans?

Thanks again.

Just a shophouse I'm afraid. Has table cloths though so definitely up-market :o

DM

• 2 weeks later...

I am posting this reply so as to bring our wonderfully informative thread on Farside eateries back to the front of the Pattaya sub-forum...it's getting buried pretty far back there and starting to get forgotten. I am sure such "thread management" must be against the forum's rules and we will see what the mods do about it...just kidding :D

Actually, I do have some more information and views to add...specifically related to the Chonlada Coffee Shop restaurant. Just having returned from a trip back Stateside and having enjoyed so very much many mornings of American style breakfasts, I wanted some more of the same...therefore, I went on down for my second meal at Chonlada's. There are several English style breakfast places near my house but I just can't stomach going back to rashers and beans for breakfast quite so soon after returning and Chonlada has been well trained by George in the particulars of preparing many breakfast dishes American style :D

I had my heart set on an order of pancakes, as I had had tasted them before and they were quite good. Unfortunately, others must have also discovered this as she was all out of pancake mix :o As an alternative, I settled on the French toast. On the menu it's listed as being 3-4 slices of egg-dipped bread but my plate arrived with 7 slices of medium sliced french-style bread! It was well done for Thailand and tasty enough and good value for the money. I would have it again when I want French toast.

I surmise that George informed the hostess about my complaints about the omelettes being basically Thai style with farang ingredients and not truly American style fold-over omelettes because she proudly informed me when I came in that she now knew how to prepare omelettes "half-moon" style :D I shall give them another try sometime.

It was a pleasant breakfast and I am starting to think that this place will be a nice little addition to our area. The comfortable air-con seating is a plus and there is also the daily Nation provided for reading.

Edited by jonniebkk

I am posting this reply so as to bring our wonderfully informative thread on Farside eateries back to the front of the Pattaya sub-forum...it's getting buried pretty far back there and starting to get forgotten. I am sure such "thread management" must be against the forum's rules and we will see what the mods do about it...just kidding :D

Actually, I do have some more information and views to add...specifically related to the Chonlada Coffee Shop restaurant. Just having returned from a trip back Stateside and having enjoyed so very much many mornings of American style breakfasts, I wanted some more of the same...therefore, I went on down for my second meal at Chonlada's. There are several English style breakfast places near my house but I just can't stomach going back to rashers and beans for breakfast quite so soon after returning and Chonlada has been well trained by George in the particulars of preparing many breakfast dishes American style :D

I had my heart set on an order of pancakes, as I had had tasted them before and they were quite good. Unfortunately, others must have also discovered this as she was all out of pancake mix :o As an alternative, I settled on the French toast. On the menu it's listed as being 3-4 slices of egg-dipped bread but my plate arrived with 7 slices of medium sliced french-style bread! It was well done for Thailand and tasty enough and good value for the money. I would have it again when I want French toast.

I surmise that George informed the hostess about my complaints about the omelettes being basically Thai style with farang ingredients and not truly American style fold-over omelettes because she proudly informed me when I came in that she now knew how to prepare omelettes "half-moon" style :D I shall give them another try sometime.

It was a pleasant breakfast and I am starting to think that this place will be a nice little addition to our area. The comfortable air-con seating is a plus and there is also the daily Nation provided for reading.

The French Toast is, indeed, a good deal, and a tasty breakfast, John. I did talk with Pook about the omelets, but I can't take credit for her education on preparing it. She's been attending a cooking school in BKK every Saturday for the last few weeks, and she learned the actual technique there.

I think it's time that somebody tried 'The Courtyard' again for dinner. They've had their new "western food" chef for a few weeks now; so, hopefully, the quality of the menu has improved. Any volunteers?

This is a great thread for us "Darksiders" hope it continues to run.

Ate at the "Lakeside" on Sukhumvit last night, well worth a try, huge place and the food is good, well worth a try.

Its on the left hand side about 5k from the traffic lights at Chayapruk,

Gets my best toilets in Pattaya award!

Cheers