Thammasat University Bested 11 Of The World's Top Business Schools To Win Copenhagen Business School's 2008 Case Competition

JuniorExPat

When your business is operating at what appears to be maximum efficiency, how can a manager make improvements? That was the issue up for debate at Copenhagen Business School's 'Case Competition', where the world's top business universities slugged it out over the debate tables Friday to take home the annual event's top honours.

Twelve universities participated in this year's competition, where the assignment was to find a strategy for world-renown Danish stereo manufacturer Bang & Olufsen that would boost the company's already considerable successes.Students from Thammasat Business School presented the winning strategy at the competition, beating teams from such prestigious programmes as University of California-Berkeley, Montreal's McGill University and the CBS's own team. A couple of Thammasat's key suggestions for B&O included creating a stronger brand awareness outside Europe - particularly in the US, where the company should also establish flagship stores and sponsorships.

The annual Case Competition has been a success since its introduction in 2002, after CBS students were inspired by their participation in the McIntire International Case Competition at the University of Virginia in the US.The competition is organised entirely CBS students in close co-operation with the Danish business community.

The foreign teams' room, board and other competition expenses are paid for by private sponsors, though the participating schools or students must cover their own air fares to Copenhagen.Although there is no cash prize for winning the Case Competition, Anja Hansen of CBS' Marketing Department said victory is well worth the students' efforts.'They get valuable experience both socially and academically,' said Hansen. 'The competition challenges them and also allows them to network with international experts, teachers and students.'The Thammasat students did receive the competition's trophy, however, and - as an added bonus - each received a pair of stereo headsets directly from Bang & Olufsen.

Great news, I have always said the international business and economics programs at T.U are really top notch with some great people there. Hopefully events like this will spread the positive image around and stop the age old myth that all Thai Unis are crap.

Well done Thammasat but just where does their MBA appear on the FT or Economist list?

Isnt one of the major factors in where the uni comes on this list to do with how much graduates get paid in there jobs upon leaving uni, now as people get paid peanuts in Thailand they will invariably get less hence the uni will come lower on these ratings.

I stand to be corrected on this.

Well done Thammasat but just where does their MBA appear on the FT or Economist list?

Isnt one of the major factors in where the uni comes on this list to do with how much graduates get paid in there jobs upon leaving uni, now as people get paid peanuts in Thailand they will invariably get less hence the uni will come lower on these ratings.

I stand to be corrected on this.

Partially correct - some of the lists do have that single criteria but most have multiple criteria.

I know the Biz Schools like to market using whichever list suits them - for example the one I am studying at is a bit cheeky in that it advertises itself as number 1 in a certain list - but that was 3 years ago and it was indeed the money list (I think its % gain in salary and not total % in any case)

You can see the various rankings and criteria here and as I said its based on a number of factors

http://mba.eiu.com/index.asp?layout=2007rankings

Biz Schools do not tell you which of their MBA's was ranked as well ie full or part time or EMBA when advertisiong - it pays to do a bit of work.

Then you have to find the best one for you personally and then take nto account the cost-benefit ratio. Just as a MBA at Thammasat would not be looked on by most employers back in Europe that well I would not be doing the Sunderlan Uni one in Singapore either.

Problem is in Thailand there is not much choice unlike Singapore where there are over 30 and often from the big names such as CBS and INSEAD as well as the Nanyang and NUS which are highly rated too.

If one was to want to base themselves in Thailand then Thammasat should certainly be considered but i do know from Thai colleagues the only one in Thailand they are even considering is Sasin but Thai's are like that even if they consider Thamassat a good uni.

Edited by Prakanong

And the relevance of your comment to the price of fish is??

JxP

Well people do tend to look at the FT or Economist placings rather than a 12 team case study competition but I suppose it can do not harm can it?

Then again Thammasat will not really be competing for international or regional students (or does it?)

And the relevance of your comment to the price of fish is??

JxP

Well people do tend to look at the FT or Economist placings rather than a 12 team case study competition but I suppose it can do not harm can it?

Then again Thammasat will not really be competing for international or regional students (or does it?)

I get your point, apologies for the inane response previously, posting in haste late at night is not advised!

JxP