Midnight Closings

surg

Looks like "Toxin" has finally ended Thailand as the "sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll" capital of Asia.

It is down to the 6th place that people want to visit and will probably soon be off-the-map.

I guess the old addage is true, nothing lasts forever.

I spoke to a Thai the other day who studies politics and she believes that these early closing times benefit Taksin's mobile phone company.

It is believe that more mobile calls are made with early closing times as many people are not ready to end their night. Many try to make alternative arrangments like continuing the festivities at somebody's home or meeting at an underground venue still serving drinks.

> It is down to the 6th place that people want to visit and will probably

> soon be off-the-map.

Note that you also have to establish that any slippage is actually due to stronger enforcement of closing times. There's quite a few other factors around. For starters, Thailands neighbouring countries are now more accessible than ever. More competition, and more people who've already 'done' Thailand means that it goes down the list. In that light, TAT's 'Unseen Thailand' campaign I think is spot on. Some other developments are perhaps less likely to have a significant effect, or may even be counter-productive. I think TAT has a pretty good understanding of what tourists like. But then other parts of government are doing the exact wrong thing, say the national park fees, closing times, development/destruction of Ko Chang, multi-billion baht projects of questionable viability such as the Chiang Mai Night Safari..

Cheers,

Chanchao

Pluto, It was either a guitar or a camera. A guitar is more cool, but a camera is more me. I have posted a few albums in the Thai Visa Photo Gallery. They are posted as "ParrotHead's ......" (There are 8 or so albums) I think my stuff has been dummed down to page 2, etc. I think there is a REAL picture of me somewhere in the mix. :o

I say it again, as I've said it many times - the Thai Government wants tourists - yes.

But it does not want the independent tourist. It wants the package-tour Asian tourist. They put big bucks into the tour companies and major hotels. The down-side is that they do very little for the rest of the economy. They spend little outside their pre-planned tour route. So the floating market, Rose Garden, hotels around Silom, hotels north of Ao Patong, Fantasea, so on get plenty, the local som tam vendors get nil.

But the tourists are controllable, take their photos of the Royal Palace, various Wats, Ao Phang Na and go home happy. Next year another lot.

Us independent operators are not controllable, tend to spend money where it benefits the less-well-off, rather than Tocsin and his cronies, get better value for our money and have the audacity to LIVE here! That means we can influence a few local voters to look at a real democratic process (if there is such a thing) and not blindly vote for the guy with the deepest pockets.

Enough of us doing that and we may eventually make a difference.

Looks like "Toxin" has finally ended Thailand as the "sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll" capital of Asia.

It is down to the 6th place that people want to visit and will probably soon be off-the-map.

I guess the old addage is true, nothing lasts forever.

Maybe he wants the thailand of old back again My father in law wishes this would happen he has seen many people run into the ground because of what's been going on for years espacially the thai people

Maybe he wants the thailand of old back again My father in law wishes this would happen he has seen many people run into the ground because of what's been going on for years espacially the thai people

And that's what you'll get, on the face of it.

The rest will go underground where it's no-holds-barred. You won't care about that, though, because you won't see it, so it obviously doesn't exist.

I say it again, as I've said it many times - the Thai Government wants tourists - yes.

But it does not want the independent tourist. It wants the package-tour Asian tourist. They put big bucks into the tour companies and major hotels. The down-side is that they do very little for the rest of the economy. They spend little outside their pre-planned tour route. So the floating market, Rose Garden, hotels around Silom, hotels north of Ao Patong, Fantasea, so on get plenty, the local som tam vendors get nil.

But the tourists are controllable, take their photos of the Royal Palace, various Wats, Ao Phang Na and go home happy. Next year another lot.

Us independent operators are not controllable, tend to spend money where it benefits the less-well-off, rather than Tocsin and his cronies, get better value for our money and have the audacity to LIVE here! That means we can influence a few local voters to look at a real democratic process (if there is such a thing) and not blindly vote for the guy with the deepest pockets.

Enough of us doing that and we may eventually make a difference.

So you come to thailand to make things go your way? Am I right or wrong?

So you come to thailand to make things go your way? Am I right or wrong?

No, not really.

I first visited Thailand in 1978, with wife and daughter.

Have come back many times since, renting an apartment in Patong on a long-term basis in 1995 for my thrice-yearly vacation - basically diving.

As I grew too old for extended diving trips I moved to Pattaya in 2001 and have used that as my base ever since. I am married here, working on different construction projects throughout the world, as I have done for several decades.

What gets up my nose is the exploitation of the people by a few manipulative politicians for their own purposes. And if one goes back in time there have been populist demonstrations by the Thai people over the same things - greed and corruption of those in power. OK, the big demo was against the military when they were in power, but even the elected politicians are basically self-serving, rather than public servants. (Not only in Thailand, I know)

What I want is for the electorate to have an awareness of what can be, not be kept in ignorance by crappy TV and low standard educators. Then it should be up to a politically aware elactorate to decide on their own destiny.

I am a guest in this country, proud to be so, but my heart bleeds for the people who are (by a large majority) not savvy enough of the ways of corruption in high places.

What I want is for the electorate to have an awareness of what can be, not be kept in ignorance by crappy TV and low standard educators. Then it should be up to a politically aware elactorate to decide on their own destiny.

I am continually amazed at how little is known about those in power, voting, the effect of having certain people in certain positions, etc.. We have just had quite a few new changes on Phuket including Govenor, local Mayor, etc.. I have had many many conversations with farangs about these people getting an idea of thier views, thier business interests, etc.. I have tried to have conversations with local Thais (admitedly a small sample, but not bar girls) and have just gotten blank looks etc.. Unless they happen to know that person in a position of prominence its as if they feel it does not effect them.

is there a way to help in this area? to help these people see the "light" so to speak

Knowledge is power

this thread is about certian places closing at midnight I live in the states and I don't go out that much anymore sure when i was younger you had to have five guys pull me out of a bar unless i had a sleeping bag with me :o

Is a big majority of farangs upset that this is happening? i also saw a thread about places closing at 2 am is that a bad time also what time were places open to before 4am 5am?

Lads don't worry Singapore did the same thing years ago, and now look at them now. Barely have closing times. Once they realize how much dosh is being lost- this will change.

Besides there are always spots open and this was with 2AM closing time in effect. You can drink until you are silly to the wee morning hours.

Pluto, It was either a guitar or a camera. A guitar is more cool, but a camera is more me. I have posted a few albums in the Thai Visa Photo Gallery. They are posted as "ParrotHead's ......" (There are 8 or so albums) I think my stuff has been dummed down to page 2, etc. I think there is a REAL picture of me somewhere in the mix. :o

So guitar ...on the beach...that must be THE Parrothead Mr. Buffet?

(Apolgies for getting off topic.)

All these kind of regulations do not bring social order, just make visitors as well as

foreign 'residents' disgruntled.

Yes, there always will be places operating outside of the law, usually a bit more sleazy and managed by 'strong' mafia-type people, which again leave a bad impression.

What about my business visitors? Sitting in meetings (incl. dinner-appointments) until midnight, suffering from jet lag and time difference? Hang on to the minibar in their room?

Reminds me of England in the old days. Hotelguest were outside of the closing rules. So, one rented a room and invited all his 'guests' to the hotel bar.

less opportunity for licentious behavior=less sex tourists & sex-pats...

less sex tourists & sex-pats=better international reputation for the los...

better international reputation for the los=more farang family oriented holidays...

more farang family oriented holidays=a less salacious tourist industry with greater revenues, more pleaseant place for thais & farangs to live & work...

:o

less opportunity for licentious behavior=less sex tourists & sex-pats...

less sex tourists & sex-pats=better international reputation for the los...

better international reputation for the los=more farang family oriented holidays...

more farang family oriented holidays=a less salacious tourist industry with greater revenues, more pleaseant place for thais & farangs to live & work...

Ask Singapore-they tried this approach didn't work! Now look at them..rated the best spot in the world. :o

You think that could ever happen Mr Palmer? :o

they said man could never fly... but we did...

they said man could never land on the moon... and they were probably right (conspiracy theories :D )...

they said that men couldn't wear ladies underwear without ridicule from friends & family... but we do... :D

i have a dream... & it is the mission of the H.P.L.F to see that it does come to pass & the duty of every responsible law abiding & respectable farang in the kingdon to support our efforts...

i have a dream... & it is the mission of the H.P.L.F to see that it does come to pass & the duty of every responsible law abiding & respectable farang in the kingdon to support our efforts...

You're gay.

we in the H.P.L.F don't discriminate against gay people...

in fact some of my best friends are katoeys, as you will find out when my book is published next spring... they (katoeys) are pehaps the saddest of all sex workers in thailand... :o