Mayor Attending Expats' Meeting

JuniorExPat

I've just received an email via the ICCM mailing list with the following content:

"It seems the Mayor is scheduled for the Ex-Pat meeting this Saturday, 10:30-12am at the Orchid Hotel. You probably should arrive earlier. Good time to talk with her about pollution in Chiang Mai."

I haven't seen this mentioned around here and I suspect that it may be of interest to more than a few board members.

JxP

I've just received an email via the ICCM mailing list with the following content:

"It seems the Mayor is scheduled for the Ex-Pat meeting this Saturday, 10:30-12am at the Orchid Hotel. You probably should arrive earlier. Good time to talk with her about pollution in Chiang Mai."

I haven't seen this mentioned around here and I suspect that it may be of interest to more than a few board members.

JxP

Are they meeting in the middle of the night ? Which 12 o'clock is AM? I guess its harder to see the pollution in the night sky

JxP

Are they meeting in the middle of the night ? Which 12 o'clock is AM? I guess its harder to see the pollution in the night sky

I'm not sure about 12 AM, but in my experience 10:30 AM usually comes around about 1½ hours before noon :o Anyway, a good argument for the 24-hour system :D

/ Priceless

• 2 weeks later...

I would be interested to know what the Mayor said. I took a look at the Expats Club web site but couldn't see any Minutes of the meeting.

Would someone mind volunteering a very brief summary of what she said - mainly in relation to issues raised in this forum like their (the city's) proposed production of a leaflet on the issue of 'don't burn'.

Thanks in advance

- CB

The report of the meeting should be posted soon. I am curious to read it, too! I was there. I felt sad for her.

IMHO, the mayor blew the opportunity. One can guess at the reasons. One good possibility is that it was the day before Chiang Mai city council elections. Her appearance was really very, very poorly scheduled. Her staff should have looked after her better.

The mayor is extremely likable, but she was simply not prepared and did not communicate effectively except to express her shared concern for problems in Chiang Mai with the emotionally supportive audience. She was not harrassed in any way. Just the opposite.

Quite often the mayor said, "I'll do the best I can," in response to a problem. That line always got applause. But that's unfortunately probably going to be the extent of her success.. One was left with the impression she hasn't the staff, budget, strength of personality, or the position to do much about many important things. A student of Thai politics will tell you that the office of mayor doesn't amount to much, unfortunately, compared with the political power of the provincial authorities or the police. Her effectiveness may indeed be diminished as well by the fact she belongs to the wrong political party!

The mayor has some very good goals, and she certainly comes across as an honest person. One wishes her well.

A student of Thai politics will tell you that the office of mayor doesn't amount to much, unfortunately, compared with the political power of the provincial authorities or the police. Her effectiveness may indeed be diminished as well by the fact she belongs to the wrong political party!

Her father is a fairly big player in local 'politics' so she has the necessary clout - Thai style - if needed.

Who do you mean by provincial authority?

The police have no involvement with the management of the city ( other than their duty to police it ) unless you know something I don't. Please tell.

Edited by Loaded

The police have no involvement with the management of the city ( other than their duty to police it ) unless you know something I don't. Please tell.

There were a number of questions which concerned the performance of the Police rather than her office and she told the meeting that she could only try to get them to co-operate.

I thought she did OK given, as Map Guy says, that she was in the middle of campaigning and addressing us in her second language. She asked for volunteers to help get some of the city staff up to speed with their English so they can answer the phones in a useful way - that might provide some interesting insights into how the administration really works...

263636427_V5Egq-M.jpg

Mayor Capt. Deuntemduang Na Chiang Mai addresses the Chiang Mai Expats' Club at the Orchid Hotel 8th March 2008