Expat Net Worth

bendix

Net worth  

582 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

To live not quite the same life style in the US as LOS would take 4 to 5 times the amount of dollars. I don't think it is 4 to 5 times better living in the US.

Depends how you slice it.. or what end of the living standard you are.

If your living in some <20k per month thai style home, eating rice and getting by, then sure you can get by a lot cheaper than in the US.

But if you want high end lifestyle.. I actually think it gets MORE expensive to have a high end lifestyle in Thailand simply as the high end stuff is so highly taxed !! I mean it takes an awful lot of cheap laundry or maid service to make up the difference in buying a new 600 AMG SL !!

I see people here on phuket driving new Ferrari's (360 modena up nanai rd.. What a waste) new porsches new SL's etc.. I am guyessing each one of those cars is probably in the 20 mil range ?? And would be what 1/5th that in the US ?? Maybe less.. Lets just say you want a 1 or 2 year old s class 600 what price difference are we talking ??

Now fine wines ?? Imported foodstuffs ?? Nice designer labels ?? Watches ?? Etc etc etc.. Every one of these high value items is FAR more expensive in Thailand. My old man lives (some of the year) in the south of France, on a multi acre landplot, with 2 mercs (one s class one E class) and a 4x4.. He eats nice cheeses and fine wines and brandys, but otherwise a simple life. He lives there cheaper then I live here with none of those things.

This is why I have long held that trying for the 'high end retirees' just doesnt cut it.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Now fine wines ?? Imported foodstuffs ?? Nice designer labels ?? Watches ?? Etc etc etc.. Every one of these high value items is FAR more expensive in Thailand. My old man lives (some of the year) in the south of France, on a multi acre landplot, with 2 mercs (one s class one E class) and a 4x4.. He eats nice cheeses and fine wines and brandys, but otherwise a simple life. He lives there cheaper then I live here with none of those things.

This is why I have long held that trying for the 'high end retirees' just doesnt cut it.

I get your point LOS, it's right.

Luxury items are a lot more expensive in Thailand than EU.

But how about a luxury girl ? :o

for all those referring to luxury goods ... Thailand is a Buddhist country ... did you ever read any book about it?

yes, Thailand is much cheaper, I count 1/5 of the price for basic expenses, 1/3 of the price of luxury expenses, although I don't buy golden watches, I do have a 50inch TV ... at 1/3 of the price, but there's more, I live in Phuket, so there's no point comparing the prices with a typical EU village, it's a luxury resort here, yet no Monaco or Saint-Tropez(yet) ... sure, but it would make a better comparison anyway ...

point being; the weather allows a totally different lifestyle here and that's what really makes the difference; the fact that I don't need all those luxuries to be happy here, that's the real value for me and the reason why I live here ...

After reading this entire thread, I think I have missed a formula. Net worth is assets, not income. I am assets-poor and pension-rich. I would not use a conversion factor higher than six percent. If you have a pension with COLA adjustments, how much would that translate to, at age 65? Each monthly pension amount of US$ substitutes for how many dollars of assets? On my Excel spreadsheet, using PV function for 20 years, I get that a thousand dollars monthly equals $140,000, which is over 4.3 million baht.

Back on topic, I think that means that you need 4.3 million baht to give yourself a monthly annuity of US$1,000, not allowing for cost of living allowances for inflation.

LivinLOS

For me it is not a matter can I afford this or that, it is a matter of what I want and the life style I choose to live. I have no desire to own a high end car or drink champayne and eat only the most expensive foods. It is nice to do once in a while but all the time is very fattening and tends to get boring. I don't wear a watch although I have a very nice one in the safe.

For starters to pay the property tax on an equivilent property as I have here and to pay income taxes and medical in the US would by far exceed the amount of money it cost me to live in LOS including my housekeeper.

For the most part I don't think the average person in their 70's is very big on partying and living the high life. You may be different when you reach my age. In that case Thailand may not be for you. Me I like most everything about LOS. The politicians, drivers and the fact that I don't understand the language is on the minus side. But there are are very long list of things on the good side that far outweigh the bad. I don't think there is a paradise where everything is perfect. If you come up with a place to retire to better than Thailand I would like to hear about it.

But we obviously have different taste and desires. Heck I don't even desire to go out and find companionship as I'm quite happy with my wife's company.

Assuming it cost the same to live in the US as it does here, I for one would still be here. Haven't lived in the US for over 25 years and when I go back to visit the relatives I know I don't want to be there. Must admit the shopping for anything you want 24/7 is nice and the good roads and predictable laws are also nice. But that is not enough to give up what I have here. Like I said it is not a matter of money as every month I save more than I spend.

Yea, before I came to Thailand, I bought into the idea I was going to be rich earning 200K+. I was fooled, all that money provides is a better life than the typical Thai. Which means I have hot water, microwave 1 car. In the US I had 2 cars, one being a BMW M3. There is no way I could afford that here.

I have to say that this was an interesting poll and some very interesting feedback/conversations..... But I would like to see an age poll as well... Just how old is everyone who has come to LOS to retire. I would be betting that the larger percentage is in the 60+ area....

LivinLOS

For me it is not a matter can I afford this or that, it is a matter of what I want and the life style I choose to live. I have no desire to own a high end car or drink champayne and eat only the most expensive foods. It is nice to do once in a while but all the time is very fattening and tends to get boring. I don't wear a watch although I have a very nice one in the safe.

For starters to pay the property tax on an equivilent property as I have here and to pay income taxes and medical in the US would by far exceed the amount of money it cost me to live in LOS including my housekeeper.

For the most part I don't think the average person in their 70's is very big on partying and living the high life. You may be different when you reach my age. In that case Thailand may not be for you. Me I like most everything about LOS. The politicians, drivers and the fact that I don't understand the language is on the minus side. But there are are very long list of things on the good side that far outweigh the bad. I don't think there is a paradise where everything is perfect. If you come up with a place to retire to better than Thailand I would like to hear about it.

But we obviously have different taste and desires. Heck I don't even desire to go out and find companionship as I'm quite happy with my wife's company.

Assuming it cost the same to live in the US as it does here, I for one would still be here. Haven't lived in the US for over 25 years and when I go back to visit the relatives I know I don't want to be there. Must admit the shopping for anything you want 24/7 is nice and the good roads and predictable laws are also nice. But that is not enough to give up what I have here. Like I said it is not a matter of money as every month I save more than I spend.

Enjoyed the post and agree with all you said. Personally, if I had millions, I would indulge. I don't and would rather live comfortably than accumulating more wealth.

i agree that owning a fancy car in Thailand is extremely expensive and i miss my cars BUT only in combination with the german autobahn. what would i do with a fancy car on pothole ridden and speed limited thai roads? impressing the neighbours? :o for me (us) Thailand provides luxuries which we could hardly afford in €urope and the best thing about Thailand is that all the luxuries are in our case FREE of CHARGE as we are spending here for a rather luxurious lifestyle less than what the taxman in my home country would take out of my pocket.

After reading this entire thread, I think I have missed a formula. Net worth is assets, not income. I am assets-poor and pension-rich. I would not use a conversion factor higher than six percent. If you have a pension with COLA adjustments, how much would that translate to, at age 65? Each monthly pension amount of US$ substitutes for how many dollars of assets? On my Excel spreadsheet, using PV function for 20 years, I get that a thousand dollars monthly equals $140,000, which is over 4.3 million baht.

Back on topic, I think that means that you need 4.3 million baht to give yourself a monthly annuity of US$1,000, not allowing for cost of living allowances for inflation.

I assume you are referring to my post. I stated that the post was about "net worth, not income". Below are the OP's words.

"By net worth i mean if you cashed in all your assets - house, savings, shares etc."

I agree, there is value associated to pensions. The post though was about current value of your assets.

Siamamerican

We do live quite comfortable, we have a 255m2 4BR 4Ba condo on the beach have a reasonable new Fortuna and have had the condo completely remodeled to suit our taste.Of the 4BR we use one as the master BR One for my wifes hobbies and computer, one for my hobbie and computer and the 4th one for the maid and pantry. Things we want we get.

My wife is flying back to visit family in June and flies business class to and from the states and first class in the states. So if it important to us we go for it. Her suitcases will be packed full of stuff we can't find in LOS. I think as you get older it does not take as much to keep you satisfied. I use to love to travel and we did a lot of it. Now it sounds like a lot of work.

We are not trying to accumulate more wealth and haven't been for years but I am not going to p!ss it away just because I have it. Besides my wife is 10 years younger than me and I want to insure she lives comfortable when I'm gone, hopefully that will not be for another 20 years or so, I plan to take after my mother she lived to be an active 96.

As far as assets go a very large portion of our money came from real estate. We did not buy for investment but because it was a places we would like to live. So if we followed the advise of rent rent rent we would not be as near comfortable now. That is why we are buying here rather than renting. The guys forcasting doom and gloom can rent and hope they are right. I'm not going to worry about things I have no control over, global warming, tsunami, coups, exchange rate etc. etc.

The biggest thing about living comfortable is what makes you comfortable and happy and it dosen't necessarily match what makes anyone else comfortable and happy. I've been rich and I've been poor, rich is better.

I dont want to go off topic cuz I think this is a very interesting discussion.

BUT. Where as a matter of fact would you live?

…So, where would you go?

Malaysia
I agree that owning a fancy car in Thailand is extremely expensive and i miss my cars BUT only in combination with the German autobahn. what would i do with a fancy car on pothole ridden and speed limited thai roads?...
You would drive it down to Malaysia and blast it along their world-class N-S highway, having imported your supercar completely tax and duty free under the Malaysia My Second Home scheme.

That’s what I would do.

Well, did actually :o

What a breath of fresh air Malaysia is compared to the restrictive anti-foreigner rules in Thailand. I tire of this place.

Siamamerican

We do live quite comfortable, we have a 255m2 4BR 4Ba condo on the beach have a reasonable new Fortuna and have had the condo completely remodeled to suit our taste.Of the 4BR we use one as the master BR One for my wifes hobbies and computer, one for my hobbie and computer and the 4th one for the maid and pantry. Things we want we get.

My wife is flying back to visit family in June and flies business class to and from the states and first class in the states. So if it important to us we go for it. Her suitcases will be packed full of stuff we can't find in LOS. I think as you get older it does not take as much to keep you satisfied. I use to love to travel and we did a lot of it. Now it sounds like a lot of work.

We are not trying to accumulate more wealth and haven't been for years but I am not going to p!ss it away just because I have it. Besides my wife is 10 years younger than me and I want to insure she lives comfortable when I'm gone, hopefully that will not be for another 20 years or so, I plan to take after my mother she lived to be an active 96.

As far as assets go a very large portion of our money came from real estate. We did not buy for investment but because it was a places we would like to live. So if we followed the advise of rent rent rent we would not be as near comfortable now. That is why we are buying here rather than renting. The guys forcasting doom and gloom can rent and hope they are right. I'm not going to worry about things I have no control over, global warming, tsunami, coups, exchange rate etc. etc.

The biggest thing about living comfortable is what makes you comfortable and happy and it dosen't necessarily match what makes anyone else comfortable and happy. I've been rich and I've been poor, rich is better.

I'm jealous. I'm in a little different situation. I've spent a large part of my life traveling and not saving. After getting married 5 years ago, I changed and now save 80% of my income after taxes. I save about 10k a month and of late, lose a few thousand in the markets. The income I've made the last 4 years allows me to do this and still live very comfortably. I was in the position to purchase a home in California 3 years ago, but thought home prices were peaking. Glad I didn't do it, knowing I planned to move to Thailand in the near future.

Having money is better. It reduces stress as long as you don't try to keep up with Joneses.

for all those referring to luxury goods ... Thailand is a Buddhist country ... did you ever read any book about it?

yes, Thailand is much cheaper, I count 1/5 of the price for basic expenses, 1/3 of the price of luxury expenses, although I don't buy golden watches, I do have a 50inch TV ... at 1/3 of the price, but there's more, I live in Phuket, so there's no point comparing the prices with a typical EU village, it's a luxury resort here, yet no Monaco or Saint-Tropez(yet) ... sure, but it would make a better comparison anyway ...

You obviously havent been looking around if you think high end 50 inch TV's are cheaper here than the west.. One of my hobbys is home theater and the cost of higher end equipment here compared to the US (or HK or Japan) well it actually pays to fly there and buy them !! Sure a low end 42 inch flat screen is about the same here as the west (only a little higher here) but start looking 50 or 60 inch.. Start going full 1080 and the same things that are 2.5k USD (so what 75k baht ??) are 200 - 300+ k here !!! Thats if they are even on the market at all !! I tried to get a price on the B&W 802 speakers from BKK.. dear god I could buy a house for that !!

As for 'St Tropez' etc its an hour or so drive from where I was saying my old fella bought multi acres and a newly converted lovely home for around what you buy a single rai of undeveloped seaview land here !! Oak woodlands, view to the Pyrenees, 40mins from ski'ing, etc etc etc.. It is the tourism and Riveara region, out of town i agree but thats how he likes it.

I have to admit I am getting a bit bored of being charged first world pricing on third world goods and services.. I am kind of missing having the S class, sophisticated clubbing, bookstores, conversations outside of what the football score is.. Then again I would hate the winter.. Probably just need to do some more travelling, its so much nicer to come home when you have been away. But to say life is 5x cheaper here ?? Not a hope driving a old beater car, living cheap, I still spend 50k USD a year easy.. 250k in the US and I would be living much higher on the hog than I am here.

Siamamerican

You are doing fine. When I was your age (40 isn't it?) I didn't have a pot or a window to throw it out of. Just been divorced for the 2nd time and had a 5 year old car and a Nikon camera and the clothes on my back. Fortunately the present wife is a real jewel and thing have gone really well for us. So you have plenty of time if you really work at it for 10 years. I retired on my 50th birthday. And have never once regreted it. :o

I dont want to go off topic cuz I think this is a very interesting discussion.

BUT. Where as a matter of fact would you live?

…So, where would you go?

Malaysia
I agree that owning a fancy car in Thailand is extremely expensive and i miss my cars BUT only in combination with the German autobahn. what would i do with a fancy car on pothole ridden and speed limited thai roads?...
You would drive it down to Malaysia and blast it along their world-class N-S highway, having imported your supercar completely tax and duty free under the Malaysia My Second Home scheme.

That’s what I would do.

Well, did actually :D

What a breath of fresh air Malaysia is compared to the restrictive anti-foreigner rules in Thailand. I tire of this place.

yeah right! i hate to cross my property line and enjoy the comforts of a nice home. driving 1,500km to Malaysia to "blast" on one of Malaysia's highways? i'd be interested in that stuff you ingest. do you smoke it or inject it? if the latter then intravenous or subcutane?

:o

I assume you are referring to my post. I stated that the post was about "net worth, not income". Below are the OP's words.

"By net worth i mean if you cashed in all your assets - house, savings, shares etc."

I agree, there is value associated to pensions. The post though was about current value of your assets.

I do not mean to hijack the thread. Only wish to point out that if you have a nice pension, you do not need a million dollars of net assets. In fact, I doubt if one needs four million baht in the bank.

LivinLOS

I fully agree that its horses for courses... Also age plays a huge factor into how you wish to live and spend your time..

I think if you downsize and down grade, leave the rolex in the lockbox, and chill taking the good of whats here (climate, smiles (even false ones) beaches, and the simple life you really find a lot to like in Thailand.

Me I am banging against a bit of a wall that after giving up all that material stuff, sportcars, and a living large lifestyle to downgrade I have now after 6 ish years had enough of the simple life stuff.. The minor (for the west) upgrades appear to cost a level of money that makes me question thier worth here and I could do with a bit more action lately and the action here is a bit one dimensional drinking and whoring to last such a long time.

As I said a post or two ago tho.. I probably just need to get out of Thailand for a bit, I enjoy it coming home so much more if I get away every couple of months for a month.

I have to say that this was an interesting poll and some very interesting feedback/conversations..... But I would like to see an age poll as well... Just how old is everyone who has come to LOS to retire. I would be betting that the larger percentage is in the 60+ area....

34 now.. Retired here full time at 28..

Oak woodlands, view to the Pyrenees, 40mins from ski'ing, etc etc etc.. It is the tourism and Riveara region

ahemm... cough... cough... Riviera AND views of the Pyrenées? :o

OK riveara is a stretch.. he tells me hes about about 1.5 hours (maybe 2) south south east of 'rivera' is my understanding..

I havent even visited visited his new place, not been back that way in 5 years.. I may head back to check it in autumn but then theres the visa rigmarole with the GF.

In fact, I doubt if one needs four million baht in the bank.

i fully agree PB. four million Baht in a bank account is a hassle. but so are 170 million Baht. BUT if you don't have money in the bank you have problems and if you have a lot of money in the bank you have problems too :o

LivinLOS

Hey I'm envious, I thought I did well retiring at 50. 28 is unreal. For sure you will have different desires and ambitions than I do. The mid 30's are probably the best years, do enjoy them. In your place i would most likely not live in LOS either. But I would holiday here a lot. Where do you plan to spend the majority of your time? Good Luck in whatever you do.

Oak woodlands, view to the Pyrenees, 40mins from ski'ing, etc etc etc.. It is the tourism and Riveara region

ahemm... cough... cough... Riviera AND views of the Pyrenées? :D

OK riveara is a stretch.. he tells me hes about about 1.5 hours (maybe 2) south south east of 'rivera' is my understanding..

I havent even visited visited his new place, not been back that way in 5 years.. I may head back to check it in autumn but then theres the visa rigmarole with the GF.

whatever LiL. i would have liked to settle in southern France near the spanish border or preferably the "massive central" further to the north with a climate i am longing for (although i'm a bloody german french is my mother tongue). even today immobile property is (compared to other areas in €urope) still affordable and the cost of living countryside is quite reasonable. however the Old Lady did not like that in France they speak a language she does not understand.

now we are living in Thailand, suffer some real sh*tty² climate and the Old Lady understands even less of the language :o (by now she has at least managed to say "khop khun kha" and she can count "ng, song, sam, many many many" :D

So ,according to the poll,30% of the respondents are millionaires in $US terms,, what would be the % of millionaires in the expat community as a whole I wonder.

Not that I would for one second think that the posters here would be given to stretching the truth,but 30% expat millionaires residing in a developing nation that is not even a"tax haven". :o

I'm also sketical of the number of millionaires here, but who cares. If people want to lie on an anonymous poll I hope it makes them feel better.

I would also agree with the posters that state that to have an upper middle class lifestyle here is actually more expensive than in the west and the quality is often lower.

It is possible to live cheaply here, millions of Thais do it. But if you want a western standard of living with western quality goods and services you pay more than in the Europe and way more than in the US.

Many things are cheaper in Thailand because they are far lower quality. When you want western quality, that means western brand names, which is usually more expensive.

The main things that are cheaper are personal services (of ALL kinds!) because Thai people are cheap. Having a maid and driver are luxuries in the west, whereas BMW sells more 3 series cars in the UK than Ford sells Mondeos so having a BMW is no longer a luxury. Electronic goods are more expensive at anything above the lower end.

Clothes aren't any cheaper if you buy genuine western brands. If you don't, then the quality is generally poor.

Food is cheaper and restaurants are cheaper, but the quality is very variable and health and sanitation is so terrifying you can't even start to think about it compared to a western restaurant.

Accomodation is somewhat cheaper unless you decide you want western standard accomodation, when its no longer cheaper. A 150 Sqm apartment to western standards of construction, fitting, fixtures and finish is $5k a month in a good area of bangkok, and probably $4k a month in a good area of Los Angeles for example. And even then the actual quality of "luxury" property is often poor with bizarre pennypinching and lack of attention to detail and lack of trained fitting and installation. Electrical and plumbing systems here are a joke, no matter how much you pay.

Cars are so much more highly priced you end up driving something a trailer park resident in the US would reject or you tie up a large amount of capital in a non-productive "asset"

Other services such as TV channels, internet, mobile phones, etc. are all vastly inferior AND more expensive!

Many goods and products are simply unavailable. I'd love to have the new Amazon Kindling for example. Impossible here.

You need to make a LOT of money here to match the lifestyle you would have in the West. People who say its cheap to live here are finding it cheap because they've willingly downgraded their standard of living to include mostly those things that are cheap in Thailand while abandoning many of the things that aren't.

I could say it was cheap to live in the US if I lived in a rural trailer park, ate Costco food and drove a ten year old pickup.

Theyreal, I take your points but I think you really overstate your case.

In the US, I ate mostly in Asian restaurants run by immigrants with Asian standards of hygiene. Many of them got written up by the health department frequently, yet surprise, much more expensive than Thailand.

The basic idea, the more local you go, the cheaper you go is correct, but I reject the idea that local is always inferior. Is durian inferior to an apple? Try to buy a fresh durian in the US.

Edited by Jingthing

Having a maid and driver are luxuries in the west, whereas BMW sells more 3 series cars in the UK than Ford sells Mondeos so having a BMW is no longer a luxury.

you don't say! :o

Quick Google to check I'm not misremembering and talking out of my nether regions found these figures:

" The 3 Series range delivered 58,544 registrations in 2007"

http://www.easier.com/view/News/Motoring/B...cle-155474.html

Here the national sales director is projecting annual sales of around 48k

http://motortorque.askaprice.com/news/auto...-your-money.asp

I'm also sketical of the number of millionaires here, but who cares. If people want to lie on an anonymous poll I hope it makes them feel better.

I would also agree with the posters that state that to have an upper middle class lifestyle here is actually more expensive than in the west and the quality is often lower.

It is possible to live cheaply here, millions of Thais do it. But if you want a western standard of living with western quality goods and services you pay more than in the Europe and way more than in the US.

Many things are cheaper in Thailand because they are far lower quality. When you want western quality, that means western brand names, which is usually more expensive.

The main things that are cheaper are personal services (of ALL kinds!) because Thai people are cheap. Having a maid and driver are luxuries in the west, whereas BMW sells more 3 series cars in the UK than Ford sells Mondeos so having a BMW is no longer a luxury. Electronic goods are more expensive at anything above the lower end.

Clothes aren't any cheaper if you buy genuine western brands. If you don't, then the quality is generally poor.

Food is cheaper and restaurants are cheaper, but the quality is very variable and health and sanitation is so terrifying you can't even start to think about it compared to a western restaurant.

Accomodation is somewhat cheaper unless you decide you want western standard accomodation, when its no longer cheaper. A 150 Sqm apartment to western standards of construction, fitting, fixtures and finish is $5k a month in a good area of bangkok, and probably $4k a month in a good area of Los Angeles for example. And even then the actual quality of "luxury" property is often poor with bizarre pennypinching and lack of attention to detail and lack of trained fitting and installation. Electrical and plumbing systems here are a joke, no matter how much you pay.

Cars are so much more highly priced you end up driving something a trailer park resident in the US would reject or you tie up a large amount of capital in a non-productive "asset"

Other services such as TV channels, internet, mobile phones, etc. are all vastly inferior AND more expensive!

Many goods and products are simply unavailable. I'd love to have the new Amazon Kindling for example. Impossible here.

You need to make a LOT of money here to match the lifestyle you would have in the West. People who say its cheap to live here are finding it cheap because they've willingly downgraded their standard of living to include mostly those things that are cheap in Thailand while abandoning many of the things that aren't.

I could say it was cheap to live in the US if I lived in a rural trailer park, ate Costco food and drove a ten year old pickup.

The thing is that because housing, medical and insurance costs, transportation, food, travel, and entertainment costs are so low, a person on a reasonable salary can have a much higher standard of living here than in the West because they have much more disposable income.

Edited by way2muchcoffee