Carbonization Of Concrete

i've read about it from various online sources and understand the science.

but still don't know:

1- how common is it?

2- how serious of a concern is it?

it's a serious concern if you own a condo, your life span is an estimated additional 99 years and you are planning to stay the full 99 years in your condo.

joke aside: carbonization of concrete does exist but the dangers are generally highly overrated.

I'm a licensed engineer and studied concrete when at University....if they mentioned carbonization of concrete I missed it...and I was a very serious student so if I missed it then it must have been a fairly minor point.

I went to the internet to read what he heck it was....now I understand but still don't remember it even being mentioned back at Uni.

Humid conditions with an atmosphere rich in CO2 combined with a porous concrete are what causes carbonization from what I have read...and the main problem associated with it is that it increases the porosity of the concrete which allows moisture to reach the rebar and then corrosion begins.

I seems that most structures would not be exposed to long periods of high humidity combined with an elevated CO2 level in the atmosphere...an example I found on the net was agriculture buildings (decomposing manure creates a moist atmosphere with elevated CO2 levels) and similar situations are probably difficult to find in residential buildings....even though some farangs do live like animals....varoom frisst du zo? (spelling?)

Chownah

P.S. If you are worried about this I suggest just keeping a good coat of paint covering the concrete as this should stop the process altogether...or nearly so.

Chownah

Edited by chownah

well, it would follow that thailand's conditions (exhaust pollution, humidity) are ripe for it if then...

the strangeness of the condition is its contradiction... the carbonization actually makes the concrete part stronger, unless there is metal rebar and it raches the rebar, where it may slowly destroy the rebar reinforcement, therefore weakening the overall strength...