Renew Non 'o' Visa In Singapore

Hello,

I want to thank everyone for their contribution to this site and extending my knowledge of the way things work in Thailand. I'm now in need of help, so please, please give me some advise here.

A year ago I applied and recieved a non'O' spouse visa from singapore. Me and my thai wife lived there for three years as my job was based in Singapore at the time. Come Oct 5th 2004, this visa will expire and I will have to get a new one. At present, I do not qualify for the minimum 40,000 per month or 400,000 deposit in the bank to apply for a new visa here in the kingdom. BTW, i carry a British passport. I really don't want to go to the UK to apply for another visa. After reading some posts, this was the recommendation.

What are the chances that the embassy in Singapore will give me a new visa? Also, does my wife need to be present when applying? Can I get a visa here without leaving? Any other ideas deeply appreciated.

Thanks.

I think you'll be okay in getting a single entry, more than that maybe, maybe not although if I had to guess I'd say more likely no you wouldn't get a multiple).

Although I know a chap that got a multiple from there a few months ago, without showing funds.

I don't think your wife HAS to be there at all (although it wouldn't hurt).

Your wife does not need to be with you, but a photocopy of her id card or passport is a good idea, and may even be requested.

Why don't you try Penang?

They are more friendly than Singapore.

If you can scrape the 400,000 baht together it is an easier road, as the multi-entry visa is getting much harder to obtain.

As you seem to know that you do not qualify for an extension of stay don't know what you are asking with your last paragraph but would strongly advise you not to do something foolish like sending your passport out of Thailand without you.

If there is any way you can combine savings/earnings to meet the 400k total requirement that is the best choice. If you are a poorly paid teacher (or other profession or looking for work) and have a degree I expect you might be able obtain a one time extension to give you time to meet full requirements if you want to give it a try. Nothing to lose in trying.

If not a trip to a country outside of the immediate area for another multi entry O may be in order. I doubt that Singapore, even with your previous visa, would issue another more than single entry.

am i missing something here

seems like you all are talking about 2 diferent visa

to get a non immigrant type o multiply entry visa in singapore all you need do is show copy of your amrriage paper good for 1 year and need to leave every 90 days

to get a 1 year non immigrant type o 1 year visa you get that in thailand and need to show the 400,000 in the bank ,marriage papers, id card and she might have to be with you.

with this visa you don't have to leave the country during the one year and if you do you need a re-entry permit

isn't this correct??

Unless I'm missing something here, it I sounds like i'm probably not going to get another 1 year multiple enrty 'O' visa out of Singapore... everyone agreed?

I'm trying to scrape together the 400,000 required and head to immigration office to apply in the next 2 weeks as that is when it expires. Failing that I'll leave the kingdom, with my passport for a temporary fix and sort out the yearly visa when I'm back.

Thanks for the responses, a couple myself.

kenkannif Posted on Fri 2004-09-24, 16:04:06

Although I know a chap that got a multiple from there a few months ago, without showing funds.

Did he get a 1 year 'O' visa? What passport was he carrying?

kenkannif Posted on Fri 2004-09-24, 16:10:42

I've 'heard' (reliably) that it's relatively easy to get a multiple Non-imm O from Penang without showing ANY money at all! You need a bit of help that end though.

I'm assuming a bit of help at that end means giving someone a little something. I guesss specifics can't be posted here but I'm curious as to what you've 'heard'. Also, if Penang can give it out, I don't see why the Embassy in Sinagpore can't issue one. Maybe the key word here is help.

lopburi3 Posted on Fri 2004-09-24, 16:34:02

would strongly advise you not to do something foolish like sending your passport out of Thailand without you.

Great advise. I myself can't believe there are people out there who would risk choosing this route to get a visa. Everyone take heed.

phuketrichard Posted on Sat 2004-09-25, 08:39:56

am i missing something here

seems like you all are talking about 2 diferent visa

Is it really 2 different visa's. I thought it's the same (the visa's issued from both countries is called non 'O' right?), but has different rules applied to it.

Not sure about getting a re-entry permit if you leave the kingdom for a visa issued here but I'm sure I'll find out soon.

dr_Pat_Pong Posted on Sat 2004-09-25, 08:53:59

The Embassy will see that a multiple entry visa based on marriage as a means of avoiding the income / savings obligations required for extensions.

I hope to correct this soon... by topping up the bank account.

Again, thanks for the responses.

No, it was in response to his questions (although he messed up the quotes so it's hard to read). He (BangkokExplorer) asked me what passport the gentleman I know (that got a multiple Non-imm O from Singapore) was holding?

I only post at work (I'm PCless at home) so obviously never post under the influence, hungover yes, drunk no!