Anonymous Phonecall To Abroad

palander

I want to make a phone call from Thailand to a country in Europe without having my phone number appear on the receiver's screen. Since Thai phones cannot be preset in that condition (or can they ?) , is there a way to appear "blank" on the receiver's phone screen, something like "private call", without any numbers ?

Edited by palander

If you dial 009, then drop the 0 from the country code you will redirected through the CAT network, and your number will not show up at the other end. It's cheaper too!

But will the screen of the receiver appear blank, or with let's say 20 digits ?

Yes, use 009 or 008 prefix, or a calling card. Of course you can easily be tracked down were you to (TOT/CAT/Calling Card company) cause any problems. Do you want to prevent someone from seeing/getting your number? Or just identifying that you are in Thailand?

Yes, use 009 or 008 prefix, or a calling card. Of course you can easily be tracked down were you to (TOT/CAT/Calling Card company) cause any problems. Do you want to prevent someone from seeing/getting your number? Or just identifying that you are in Thailand?

In the country where I come from, it's quite normal to make a call without your number being projected on the receiver's screen, for reasons of privacy.

Edited by palander

In the country where I come from, it's quite normal to make a call without your number being projected on the receiver's screen, for reasons of privacy.

I understand. In the U.S.A. you can block CPID on a per call basis. Here in Thailand you might as well just get a calling card and ring from a public pay-phone. This would offer the highest level of anonymity. You can "experiment" with the anonymity level by ringing your own phone. 008/009/calling cards will not pass through a Thai number, but some strange number might be displayed, so am not sure if this provides you with enough of a firewall (hence the reason for my questions)? You would be hosed if you sent or replied to an SMS. :o

I helped a friend with a similar application; he was calling in sick for a few days in the U.K. while he extended his stay in Thailand, but always to an office after hours and leaving a voice-mail.

Edited by lomatopo

I understand. In the U.S.A. you can block CPID on a per call basis. Here in Thailand you might as well just get a calling card and ring from a public pay-phone. This would offer the highest level of anonymity. You can "experiment" with the anonymity level by ringing your own phone. 008/009/calling cards will not pass through a Thai number, but some strange number might be displayed, so am not sure if this provides you with enough of a firewall (hence the reason for my questions)? You would be hosed if you sent or replied to an SMS. :o

I helped a friend with a similar application; he was calling in sick for a few days in the U.K. while he extended his stay in Thailand, but always to an office after hours and leaving a voice-mail.

Okay, thanks for the advice !

If you dial 009, then drop the 0 from the country code you will redirected through the CAT network, and your number will not show up at the other end. It's cheaper too!

If I am well informed, country codes are always without a "0" (zero). Or do you mean drop a "0" (zero) from the international accescode, in this case 009 ? Could you clear this up ?

If I am well informed, country codes are always without a "0" (zero). Or do you mean drop a "0" (zero) from the international accescode, in this case 009 ? Could you clear this up ?

lets use america as an example, international code of 01.

if you want to dial america, then dial 009 followed by 1 ( not 01) then the number you want to call.

if its the uk dial 00944 then drop 0 from the area code, eg area code of 0161 you would dial 00944161 then the rest of the number.

I want to make a phone call from Thailand to a country in Europe without having my phone number appear on the receiver's screen. Since Thai phones cannot be preset in that condition (or can they ?) , is there a way to appear "blank" on the receiver's phone screen, something like "private call", without any numbers ?
When i came to thailand on holiday and i was trying to avoid some girls knowing i was back in thailand id send a text or call from my uk mobile, they only ever got the number of the uk phone, you could call a thai number and the uk number would appear,.i still got caught out in the end though ! :o

i called a mobile number in the uk from my home phone number using the 009 and my number still came up as they called me back later ,.

i called a mobile number in the uk from my home phone number using the 009 and my number still came up as they called me back later ,.

Yes, I think "sweetchariot's" advice is not correct, or maybe misinterpreted. Hence the question for clearing things up.

I concur. My number has been sent on many occassions and if stored in their memory, my name pops up so it does happen.

Yes, using Skype out would make a strange number appear that they cannot use to track you. Or you can buy a number from Skype that would make the call appear from a specific country (Skype in number)

Edited by yeti