Alternatives To Honda Cbr 150 Cc

chavy

I've been reading with interest the threads about the Honda CBR 150cc. Although it seems everyone is happy with theirs I was wondering what alternatives are out there in the 150cc - 200cc bracket. I know the Phantom 200cc is an option which is around the 86 - 87,000 BHT mark & Richard-BKK speaks highly of the Boxer Tiger bike 57,000BHT. I have tried to find out about the Boxer without much success but am unsure about where to buy plus how to go on with spares / repairs (I live out of BKK). I also think Richard is right when talking about the Kawa Boss & waiting until they up-grade to 200cc, I'm sure this will happen.

Can anyone recommend an alternative along with price ?

Thanks

C.

I would think any scooter would do for an alternative to the 150 CBR.

What do you ride then? I was reading your remarks yesterday about smaller cc bikes....which didn't go down too well.

I don't ride.... I cruise on a heavily modified Honda Wave 125CC, smoke grey.

Mods: Electric Start

Colapseable (sp) Child seat such that my boy can cruise in style with me

Front Basket - in black - because black is just plain cool

My cruise gear consists of Micael Jackson black gloves with the fingers cut off. I only sport one glove in order to grip the throttle of that bad boy!

I also sport a bicycle helmet rather than a motor cycle helmet, because lets face it..... the speeds my scooter pulls is no more dangerous than those produced by a skate board. But hey, you got to protect the noggin. My son also sports a helmet for him too. Lotus carries them if interested.

I also sport a pair of knock off Ray Bans to complete the effect of total coolness.

No really, I have not problems accepting reality... it is a scooter, and it beats walking. (in most cases)

RichardBKK says the Tiger Boxer 200 is faster than a CBR150, but he never said exactly how much faster in acceleration or top speed. Reliability, dependability is what I would fear in a Tiger brand. Says PeaceBlondie as I run out of the house to ride a CBR with almost 52K km, still on the original battery, only got a new front tire last week...

Really, those who consider 150 and 200 cc bikes in Thailand should not be considering CBR and Phantom in the same sentence. Different universes.

I don't ride.... I cruise on a heavily modified Honda Wave 125CC, smoke grey.

Mods: Electric Start

Colapseable (sp) Child seat such that my boy can cruise in style with me

Front Basket - in black - because black is just plain cool

My cruise gear consists of Micael Jackson black gloves with the fingers cut off. I only sport one glove in order to grip the throttle of that bad boy!

I also sport a bicycle helmet rather than a motor cycle helmet, because lets face it..... the speeds my scooter pulls is no more dangerous than those produced by a skate board. But hey, you got to protect the noggin. My son also sports a helmet for him too. Lotus carries them if interested.

I also sport a pair of knock off Ray Bans to complete the effect of total coolness.

No really, I have not problems accepting reality... it is a scooter, and it beats walking. (in most cases)

:o haha, I was thinking "this guy is a real d1ck" until I realised u were joking.

In terms of "sport bikes" there really is no longer any 'real' competition to the CBR 150. See the thread about the Yamaha R-15, which should prove to be good competition. But right now, there aren't any small cc sportbikes from the major players. There's the Tiger Boxer however, that is really Thailand's 'mystery bike'. No one seems to know much about it, and it's not readily sold everywhere. From what I hear, it is a good bike. Originally a Cagiva design, supposedly faster than the CBR (of course it's got 50 more cc too, so that should be a given). But if you wanted to buy one, I don't know where the nearest dealer. Also given the rarity of it, I don't know how easy it is to buy replacement parts. The only other "sportbike" I can think of would be the Platinum, Chinese "sportbike" (see the various Platinum threads), cheap but does not have a reputation for high quality. Other than that, I cannot think of another 'sportbike' you can buy new. And since your are talking about an alternative to the CBR, I am limiting it to comparable sportbikes. If your idea of alternative encompasses any thing with two wheels, then the phantom or wave/scooters would work too. But neither are sportbikes. As for me, I would rather have the older two-strokes because they are much more powerful, which is what I ended up buying. Not to say the CBR is bad, but the two strokes are much more powerful machines.

Yamaha Spark 135 CDi suits me - not saying it's as fast as a CBR 150 but shows 140 kph on a good day, which is fast enuf in flip flops and vest. Maybe it looks a bit understated if you want 'sports' but it has a proper underbone frame and excellent brakes - there's even a race series based on it in the Phillipines I believe - google around.

Easily available all Yamaha dealers around 50k baht

Phantom??!! - I think you're a little confused re cc and performance sir?

Yamaha Spark 135 CDi suits me - not saying it's as fast as a CBR 150 but shows 140 kph on a good day, which is fast enuf in flip flops and vest. Maybe it looks a bit understated if you want 'sports' but it has a proper underbone frame and excellent brakes - there's even a race series based on it in the Phillipines I believe - google around.

Easily available all Yamaha dealers around 50k baht

Phantom??!! - I think you're a little confused re cc and performance sir?

Thanks for the feed back guys, I really appreciate it. I'm not confused over performance or CC. I was thinking only of CC not really performance. If I wanted performance I would have kept my CBR 1000. Or I wouldn't be selling my CB 750 I already have. :o

I have had a look at the Yamaha Spark 135 & have been reading about the new improved cc of the Nouvo. The Platinum to be honest don't interest me any more due to the bad press, even if they've improved mud still sticks.

Interesting comment from Livinlos, about Yamaha later this year...maybe worth hanging on abit ??

I've been reading with interest the threads about the Honda CBR 150cc. Although it seems everyone is happy with theirs I was wondering what alternatives are out there in the 150cc - 200cc bracket. I know the Phantom 200cc is an option which is around the 86 - 87,000 BHT mark & Richard-BKK speaks highly of the Boxer Tiger bike 57,000BHT. I have tried to find out about the Boxer without much success but am unsure about where to buy plus how to go on with spares / repairs (I live out of BKK). I also think Richard is right when talking about the Kawa Boss & waiting until they up-grade to 200cc, I'm sure this will happen.

Can anyone recommend an alternative along with price ?

Thanks

C.

This is the first bike I learned to ride on in Indonesia and is why I took the time to find out details. The Tiger Boxer 200SE can be bought in China Town, Bangkok, Bt 57,900 for the standard model, Bt 63,000 for the upgraded model (change to bigger disc brakes, more aluminium parts etc). You will notice that all the Bangkok police are sporting Boxer's so if you have police connections then you might be able to strike a better deal because they obviously buy in bulk. To find the place you must ask around in China Town, hop on the back of a motorbike taxi and they will take you there, it's a little corner shop (026927927 was the number on the back of their brochure) and they build them to order from kits.

IMO there is no comparison in terms of build and quality compared to the Honda CBR150R, though it's not a bad bike.

Waiting for Honda's new 2008 model myself, have it on good authority that Honda is releasing 6 new bikes in 2008, some small some big, all of which will have injection systems. The last CBR 150 was released in June 2007 according to the shop users manual so it's about due. Wait till after the coming Bangkok motorshow is the word.