Multi Region Dvd Players

mr_lob

Afternoon all. Anyone know which brand of DVD players play all region DVDs? Ie, if i order some from the UK/Aus. My LG has a hissy fit when i pop em in.

To make a player region free, you can often use a combination of keypresses (as in left-left-down-left-up) or different firmware to accomplish this. Check and see if you can find your LG here.

I've found the cheaper, silly named brands play all regions more often than the name brands. My latest is a "Yugo" purchased from Big C for around 2,000 baht. It plays everything, including DivX. Previously we had a Samsung, which was twice as expensive and didn't work nearly as well.

You can be unlucky. I bought a top-of-the-range model (forget which brand) at Big C in Khon Kaen. Salesman unpacked the box, set it up so I could see it was working. He grabbed a DVD off the shelf and popped it in to demonstrate the display and explain the remote control to me. Very happy. I helped pack it into the box (so I knew everything that I bought was packed - not a second-hand or faulty model).

Took it back to Australia with me. It only played DVDs I had bought in Thailand. Wouldn't play Aussie DVDs. Too much trouble to make it Region free. Ended up buying a nice LG from Harvey Norman and took the Thai DVD player back to Thailand with me on my last trip.

Lesson: Take a couple of Australian DVDs with you and check they work in the DVD player of your choice.

Peter

All the big brands if bought in Thailand are region free. Sony, Toshiba, Panasonic,Denon etc. straight out of the box

I think so. I've bought two Pioneers--great players, good value--and they have both been region-free even though not marked region-free. The cheap off-brand players ARE marked region-free, and typically the salesmen will try to direct you to those. (Must be the commission they anticipate.) They will insist the Pioneers aren't region-free and point to the Region 3 symbol as evidence.

The problem w/ the cheap players is the firmware is so primitive. The one I bought before I got a Pioneer doesn't have a resume feature, for example. Also, you can't turn it on from the remote--you have to walk over and push the button! I will never buy one those again. Japan all the way when it comes to home electronics.

have HD-DVD players dropped in price in Thailand now Blueray has won this format round ?

HD-DVD players will play DVDs and will upscale them for your HDTV and I don't think they are region limited - it might be a better option instead of an el cheapo DVD player

My Sony dvd player will need to be change soon.

I did not have problem with it the last 4 years.

I have choice between Samsung ( friend working for them ) or Sony

Any comment welcome?

Want it to be region free and play DVD from shady source.

I have a Bose stereo, and this one can only play original..

The main advantage with the really cheap DVD players is that they seem to play any crappy DVD you buy on the street. Many high quality machines have a fit if the DVD is not perfect.

The main advantage with the really cheap DVD players is that they seem to play any crappy DVD you buy on the street. Many high quality machines have a fit if the DVD is not perfect.

Ok, what do you suggest then as a non name brand DVD ? The one with the elephant sitting on it ? (old advertising)

i think the sony cost me about 4000 baht, find that very cheap

Ok, what do you suggest then as a non name brand DVD ? The one with the elephant sitting on it ? (old advertising)

i think the sony cost me about 4000 baht, find that very cheap

simcity,

i personally have never had a problem with pioneer, in fact i still have a dvd player that cost me at the time 12,000 baht some 7 years ago.

the dvd players i have bought since have all been pioneer and have never had a problem with them.

i see you can now buy a pioneer player for 2,000 baht, ok thats bottom of the range, doesnt have karaoke features etc.

i know people that have had sony players that gave them nothing but problems, discs that wouldnt play on sony dvd players all played on my pioneer.

these pioneer players have played dvds from all over the world, originals from the states, australia and the uk, plus havent had a problem with the pan thip specials.