Number One Pizza In Chiang Mai

Ulysses G.

Where is your favorite place to go for pizza in CM?  

158 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Crowboy has been adding places as people ask for them. Crowboy, or another mod, could you add "Naples Pizzeria" in the Italian section and "others" please? :o

If you want anything approaching a valid result, suspend the voting for a while. Adding places during voting just skews everything.

Two more places for the poll list - both on Huay Keow on the north side - towards CMU, west of Canal rd.

"Babylon" - been around forever - owner died a few years ago - cheesy thick pizzas.

"8 Inch" - cute little pizza and salad cafe - new - cheap - cute little fresh 8" pizzas - the russian is very nice. I always upgrade mine to 'special' (more topping)

And a new category - I use tortillas, not english muffins. Fresh tomatoes, not canned sauce. I also use a local thai cheese from Riimping. They make a mozza, a smoked mozza, a cheddar, a Gruyere, and others. The only english on the label is the name of the cheese. I prefer the cheddar (cheap - 155bt/500 grams) for pizza, as it tastes more like mozza than their mozza, and it lasts longer after opening! Melts well, and doesn't get that granular consistency of many cheap cheeses.

Edited by wjmark

The pizza at the Duke's has gotten better and better over the last two years and it is great almost every time I order it now. What do you think? Can another pizza in town stand up to the Duke's thin crust? :o

Agreed. Everyone in my family loves them. They are getting better for sure.

Great value for money when you consider the sizes.

9/10 Dave.. :D

Now all we need are some Italians from Lygon St , Melbourne, Victoria, Australia to open up shop here and all will be well.. :Dpost-31110-1204997827_thumb.jpg

I'm thinking of installing a few of these pizza vending machines around town. post-31110-1204998264_thumb.jpg

First one will be outside of Gecko Books main branch.

The second will be in my bedroom.

The third one will be installed in Spicy Nightclub.

Edited by Austhaied

There's pizza in Chiangmai? Cool!

And it's cheap!

(No - wait a minute. It isn't)

:o

By western standards it is cheap. The Dukes large pizzas are around 300-350 baht or around $10 US (about the same as a bar fine...allegedly :D ). You will have to see the size of these things to understand what I'm on about. :D

I am huge and I get a small pizza with mushrooms and olives and have a hard time finishing it. I don't pay too much attention to the price, but it is under 200 baht and about as big as a large pie from Pizza Hut or Pizza Company! :o

And it's cheap!

By western standards it is cheap. The Dukes large pizzas are around 300-350 baht or around $10 US (about the same as a bar fine...allegedly :D ). You will have to see the size of these things to understand what I'm on about. :D

Sorry - mine was a wisecrack about 'farang food threads' and 'cheap charlies' (you know who you are!).

BUT, on the subject of pizza price, what bugs me is not the price, but the usually skimpy toppings provided (I am talking generally - not about Dukes or any other specific place).

If I am going to spend 200 baht on a 'za, give me 70 baht worth of ingredients, not 40! A standard formula for a normal western style restaurant is 33% food costs. And with low labour costs in Thailand, that should be easy to make on a western-priced place.

AND, in Canada (home of the Pizza Wars), there is so much competition that in many places you can get '2 for 1' pizzas. In Toronto, I used to order the 2-4-1 combo from one place (Lebonese people - great 'za). They would deliver 2 x jumbo 15" pizzas (5-6 toppings each - loaded), 2 lbs (1 kg) of chx wings, various dipping sauces, 2 liters Pepsi ("no Coke, Pepsi"), all for $22.

There are dollar and two-dollar 'slices' all over Canada too - 30-60 baht per slice...

I don't mind paying 'full price' for a good pizza, please don't make it skimpy.

A skinny little bit of crust, a few grams of cheese, and 6 thin slices of salami or ham, and some vegies - 180bt? (I could eat three of them!!!!!!).

btw - had a Dukes 'za once - liked it - tastes a little chedder-ish.

At which of these establishments could I have a khao soi topping pizza?

That's the one that'll get my vote.

There was a pizza place in the Night Bazarr with all kinds of weird Thai flavors - course it only lasted about 2 weeks before they closed it down! :o

At which of these establishments could I have a khao soi topping pizza?

That's the one that'll get my vote.

There was a pizza place in the Night Bazarr with all kinds of weird Thai flavors - course it only lasted about 2 weeks before they closed it down! :D

oh well, so be it.

Still, it's good to see khao soi doing so well in yet another farang food poll in Chiang Mai. It's tied for the lead currently.

Edited by sriracha john

And it's cheap!

Sorry - mine was a wisecrack about 'farang food threads' and 'cheap charlies' (you know who you are!).

BUT, on the subject of pizza price, what bugs me is not the price, but the usually skimpy toppings provided (I am talking generally - not about Dukes or any other specific place).

If I am going to spend 200 baht on a 'za, give me 70 baht worth of ingredients, not 40! A standard formula for a normal western style restaurant is 33% food costs. And with low labour costs in Thailand, that should be easy to make on a western-priced place.

AND, in Canada (home of the Pizza Wars), there is so much competition that in many places you can get '2 for 1' pizzas. In Toronto, I used to order the 2-4-1 combo from one place (Lebonese people - great 'za). They would deliver 2 x jumbo 15" pizzas (5-6 toppings each - loaded), 2 lbs (1 kg) of chx wings, various dipping sauces, 2 liters Pepsi ("no Coke, Pepsi"), all for $22.

There are dollar and two-dollar 'slices' all over Canada too - 30-60 baht per slice...

I don't mind paying 'full price' for a good pizza, please don't make it skimpy.

A skinny little bit of crust, a few grams of cheese, and 6 thin slices of salami or ham, and some vegies - 180bt? (I could eat three of them!!!!!!).

btw - had a Dukes 'za once - liked it - tastes a little chedder-ish.

Agreed.

The pizzas here are nothing like they are back in Aussie. We have the same good deals back there as well. I guess it's a market thing. Nowhere near enough punters here to warrant such wars..

The Dukes to me is the best in CM, not the world.

Papa Ginos in Australia would take that award.

2721193350091562046GMgbRB_th.jpg

204771370dpByUm_th.jpg

Edited by Austhaied

Inspired, naturally, by this thread, I picked up a pizza at Duke's today, for my first pizza ever in Chiangmai! Daaaaaaammmmmnnnnn, but that was a seriously good pizza. Of course I afterwards immediately voted for Duke's, but it's a bit of an odd vote, based as it is on no comparison to any of the other places listed. :o

From Chiang Mai Mail last year :

Dear Editor,

I’ve lived in Chiang Mai a couple of years now, and have to say that my wife and I discovered the best little pizza place this week. They use a wood fired oven, and I have to say, our pizza was among the best pizzas we’ve eaten in Chiang Mai.

Naples Pizzeria on 70/15 Chang Moi Rd. just before the Mike’s Burgers corner in the same complex as Hells Kitchen.

Not only was the pizza good, but the Caesar’s salad was also fantastic. If you like good Italian dressing....this is the place.

Buon Apetito,

Michael Berbae

My flyer says "Chaiyaphum Rd", not Chang Moi Rd. Could someone someone confirm that Chaiyaphum is correct ?

They deliver, and have had no hassles with phone communication/finding the home. For anyone who'd like to try a genuine Italian-style light pizza, with a few well-chosen toppings, choose from :

Margherita

Diavola (hottish)

Prociutto & Funghi

4 Stagione

Calzone

Ai Fruitti di Mare

Parma Ham

Napolitano

Tel 053-235377 / Fax 053-235378

If you like genuine Italian-style pizza

From Chiang Mai Mail last year :
Dear Editor,

I’ve lived in Chiang Mai a couple of years now, and have to say that my wife and I discovered the best little pizza place this week. They use a wood fired oven, and I have to say, our pizza was among the best pizzas we’ve eaten in Chiang Mai.

Naples Pizzeria on 70/15 Chang Moi Rd. just before the Mike’s Burgers corner in the same complex as Hells Kitchen.

Not only was the pizza good, but the Caesar’s salad was also fantastic. If you like good Italian dressing....this is the place.

Buon Apetito,

Michael Berbae

My flyer says "Chaiyaphum Rd", not Chang Moi Rd. Could someone someone confirm that Chaiyaphum is correct ?

They deliver, and have had no hassles with phone communication/finding the home. For anyone who'd like to try a genuine Italian-style light pizza, with a few well-chosen toppings, choose from :

Margherita

Diavola (hottish)

Prociutto & Funghi

4 Stagione

Calzone

Ai Fruitti di Mare

Parma Ham

Napolitano

Tel 053-235377 / Fax 053-235378

If you like genuine Italian-style pizza

I completely agree. Naples Pizzeria is the best pizza I have had here, over many years... But it seems to have moved??

"Naples Pizzeria on 70/15 Chang Moi Rd. just before the Mike’s Burgers corner in the same complex as Hells Kitchen."

This where they've always been, but street address is wrong. Should be Chaiyaphum Rd.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Inspired, naturally, by this thread, I had a pizza at Duke's today.

WHOA. STOP RIGHT THERE!

Inspired, naturally, by this thread, I picked up a pizza at Duke's today

So I was sitting at Dukes and whiile waiting for my pizza, idly watching some farang come in and take out a pizza.

Talk about crossed threads, or what! "Don't know where, don't know when. We'll meet again. Some sunny day!"

Rasseru: if I had been paying attention, I could now say, "I know what you look like!"

But I was waiting for pizza, and thus no detailed imprint remains.

---

About the pizza. The last time I had one there (more than a year ago) it had a cheddery taste. Not any more. Actually prefered the first one.

I ordered a small (12" - called mediums in other places) ham, ham, pineapple, mushroon, tomato 'za.

Pros: fresh. hot, good toppings, a crispy crust similar to their foccacia, decent sauce, served with parmesan, oregano, and chilli flakes on the side. I asked for some pizza sauce on the side and they didn't charge me... Total 235bt

Cons: Too many post-church-goers (kidding),. Seriously? I enjoyed it, but to me what makes a pizza truely great is that special blending of bread, cheese and sauce - a synergystic effect where the total is greater than the sum of its parts. DIDN"T HAVE IT! The bread was not "bready" enough, and the sauce and cheese didn't really do anything together.

Good 'za - not great. Also, for double ham - it was pretty chincey on the ham!

I have certainly enjoyed some of the italian jobs around here, but I prefer a bit more bread to chew on - not as much as Paradise, but something for the cheese and sauce to really get a hold of.

UG said:

I am huge and I get a small pizza with mushrooms and olives and have a hard time finishing it.

UG. We met just a couple of days ago for the first time - by chance it too was at Dukes (CM too small - must leave soon! Maybe it is just Dukes that is too small...). You are not so big, but I am much smaller!

SO - inspired again by TV.com, after pizza, I immediately went to the Queen Vic, and had a bacon-cheese burger! Very nice - meaty. Bacon should be crispier...

5'6" 143lbs - Pizza and burger for Sunday lunch. I am in heaven.

Edited by wjmark

Seriously? I enjoyed it, but to me what makes a pizza truely great is that special blending of bread, cheese and sauce - a synergystic effect where the total is greater than the sum of its parts. DIDN"T HAVE IT! The bread was not "bready" enough, and the sauce and cheese didn't really do anything together.

Good 'za - not great.

Please don't forget that we are not in Manhattan.

Can you tell us where to get a better American style pizza in Thailand? :o

I completely agree. Naples Pizzeria is the best pizza I have had here, over many years... But it seems to have moved??

Better give them a vote, Ajarn :o .

Not sure if they have moved ? Have phoned them on the number above very recently.

The flyer also states " Now open @ Somphet Gold Place" wherever that may be.

Seriously? I enjoyed it, but to me what makes a pizza truely great is that special blending of bread, cheese and sauce - a synergystic effect where the total is greater than the sum of its parts. DIDN"T HAVE IT! The bread was not "bready" enough, and the sauce and cheese didn't really do anything together.

Good 'za - not great.

Please don't forget that we are not in Manhattan.

Can you tell us where to get a better American style pizza in Thailand? :o

I wish I did, but I don't. I don't, but I am doing my bit in finding out.

If the Italian places would do a thicker 'bread crust' and double their toppings, they could pull it off.

If Paradise cut their dough in half, (or even two thirds), used better ingredients, doubled their toppings, and used enough sauce, they might pull it off.

If I knew how to make a decent dough (d'oh!), I might pull it off.

Generally, I satisfy that deep primeval pizza urge with a flour tortilla convered with that 'cheddar' I mentioned earlier, and some chopped fresh tomato.

I pop it on a hot cast-iron roti pan, and put it in my extremely hot round plexiglass oven. 4 minutes, and the cheese and tomatoes are combining and sizzling. Sprinkle with oregano. It does hit that spot, but it misses that breadiness that I like so much in a pizza.

But as UG notes (and I misquote), "there ain't none in these here parts anyhoos."

I may keep looking, though.

===

pics: This is similar to my pizza oven - gets almost as hot as a tandoor - real hot! Sometimes I put a crab-mayo salad on top...

post-55564-1205052599_thumb.jpg

post-55564-1205052831_thumb.jpg

Edited by wjmark

The Dukes to me is the best in CM, not the world.

IMHO, very possibly, all of Thailand though. :D

You have to try ever pizzeria in Thailand to make that statement, Ulysses! I stand by Amido's in Pai as the best I've had so far. There are a few places in BKK that I prefer to Duke's pizza as well (tho none measure up to Amido's, IMO). In Chiang Mai none of the pizzas impress much.

Speaking of American pizza, in metropolitan areas of the NE United States, many of the best pizzerias (to my taste) are owned by Algerians, Moroccans or Lebanese, don't know why but that may explain why I like Amido's so much (Algerian pizza chef). It's a matter of personal taste of course.