Having Personal Items Shipped

I came to work in LOS 5 years ago but kept things in storage back in the USA. Last year I sold most of things but still have 6 large boxes of personal items (photo albums, dvds, knock knacks etc). Now I want them sent over here but I understand I get no duty free allowance because it has been more than six months that I have been living here.

What are my options? I thought about using a company that will do door to door delivery but they want $1,500 and no guarantee that I won;t be charged duty, compared to $450 for a port to port shipment of one cubic meter.

Any suggestions?

I came to work in LOS 5 years ago but kept things in storage back in the USA. Last year I sold most of things but still have 6 large boxes of personal items (photo albums, dvds, knock knacks etc). Now I want them sent over here but I understand I get no duty free allowance because it has been more than six months that I have been living here.

What are my options? I thought about using a company that will do door to door delivery but they want $1,500 and no guarantee that I won;t be charged duty, compared to $450 for a port to port shipment of one cubic meter.

Any suggestions?

It's expensive to ship items, and getting more expensive every day due to rapidly rising transportation/fuel costs. I know, preaching to the choir. Many moving companies have a minimum 1,000 pounds shipping charge/rate (i.e., ship 500 lbs or 1000 lbs but they are going to charge you as if you are shipping 1000 lbs). It has almost reached the ridiculous point---you want how much to ship my stuff???!!! Obviously these personal items are very important to you; what ever shipping method you decide on don't go so cheap in the shipping method that you lose a good degree of arrival/delivery assurance.

Any suggestions?

I have a similar situation. I also need to ship less than a 20' sea container worth of contents to LOS from USA. Does anyone have any information in particular about what the OP is saying about the duty free allowance if it has been less than six months since first residing here? I do know that there is no duty-free allowance if you hold a retirement visa. But I have searched for more information on this subject and have even spoken with a lawyer here that told me that duty must be paid.

Also I would be interested to know which shipping companies offer port to port shipments of one cubic meter for appx. $450 USD. I sent a message to the OP but I did not receive a reply from him.

Any ideas? Any information would be much, much appreciated.

Thanks!