Rolls Royce

Corky...I know you love European cars, but I think you should stick with the Benz. That old Rolls Royce couldn't reach 100 km/h in 15 minutes.

And you don't think that the company that supplies the engines for some of the world's fastest jets couldn't make something a little speedier? Sounds like you are from the US.

I'm from the US.....you got that right. I never knew about Rolls Royce producing jet engines and I wasn't saying the company couldn't make faster vehicles. I was saying the particular car in the picture looked like a crawler. As another poster said, Rolls Royces were built for beauty. Perhaps that one is an exception :o

Ettore Bugatti was allegedly at a fancy dinner party when some rich lady said, "Of course, Msr. Bugatti, you build fast cars, but for luxury, nothing beats a Rolls-Royce. So, he built the Bugatti Royale, which proved the lady wrong.

For decades and almost for a century, the faster cars were Bentleys. Now that they are owned by separate companies, I believe R-R has built some very fast luxury cars.

As another poster said, Rolls Royces were built for beauty. Perhaps that one is an exception :o

Whilst it is true that the rolling chassis and engine were built by Rolls Royce, the body was not; Rolls Rpyce did not offer a complete car until the very late 1930s! That photo suggests that it is probably late 1920s/early 30s. So do not blame the company, blame the coachbuilder!

I'm from the US.....you got that right. I never knew about Rolls Royce producing jet engines...

Where have you been living all these years? Rolls Royce been powering aircraft for many years and have powered variants of Boeing 747, 757, 767, 777 and developing Trent engines for the 787.

As another poster said, Rolls Royces were built for beauty. Perhaps that one is an exception :o

Whilst it is true that the rolling chassis and engine were built by Rolls Royce, the body was not; Rolls Rpyce did not offer a complete car until the very late 1930s! That photo suggests that it is probably late 1920s/early 30s. So do not blame the company, blame the coachbuilder!

I'm from the US.....you got that right. I never knew about Rolls Royce producing jet engines...

Where have you been living all these years? Rolls Royce been powering aircraft for many years and have powered variants of Boeing 747, 757, 767, 777 and developing Trent engines for the 787.

Least we forget, the trent 900 engines for the Airbus A380, 30 odd million a pop.

True Classic, itäs look like 1930 Rolls-Royce 20/25 H J Mulliner Saloon / Sedanca.

Separate trunk is similar to the ones Gurney Nutting produced, angular body style similar to Thrupp & Maberly. I believe that the Hotel Du Moc in Bangkok had a vintage Rolls Royce.

Actually Rolls Royce aircraft engineering division have been producing jet engines since the late 1940's but the are totally separate from the car division which I believe is owned by Volkswagen.

Edited by billd766

Seen at The Oriental yesterday.

True Classic, itäs look like 1930 Rolls-Royce 20/25 H J Mulliner Saloon / Sedanca.

Hmm. Just to be pedantic, this car would be classed in its native UK as 'vintage' rather than the much later 'classic' term. The bonnet looks a bit too long to me to be a 20/25 but you may be right, also re the coachbuilder.

However, from that photo, I would say that the rear part of the roof is likely to open, making it a style known as 'laundelette' (from the French 'landau'). You can just imagine someone like the late Queen Mother of England sitting out at the back there, doing her famous under-stated wave to the commoners.

A 'sedanca' (or 'sedanca de ville') has the front part of the roof opening over the head of the chauffeur, emphasising that he is a servant while the owner and friend(s) shelter from all the weather in the back.

I'd give my back teeth just to be the chauffeur of course, or the dogbsody who rode alongside him to nip out smartly to open the rear door and bow and scrape to the owner.

No-one got a shot of the number plate, then? Bangkok registered? Oh dear, not an investigator huh?

"Vintage" RR rarely seen, but plenty of RRs in HK. I think I live in a building full of old Brits:

2005822796361757643_rs.jpg

2005877130132688880_rs.jpg

2005861807837235626_rs.jpg

Gotta Love any car with the word "Wraith" in it:

2005871915655104675_rs.jpg

Da "Bent":

2005856597741384214_rs.jpg

And not to be out-done by old guys, what I call the "Tractor Italiano.":

2005833929977890135_rs.jpg

Yes, for many decades, RR and Bentley were one company, usually sharing everything except the grille and hood ornament. Now they are separate. However, coachbuilders were independent, and the Bentleys usually had the more sporting bodies and near the end, very powerful engines.

Actually Rolls Royce aircraft engineering division have been producing jet engines since the late 1940's but the are totally separate from the car division which I believe is owned by Volkswagen.

If anyone cares, Rolls Royce is owned by BMW. Also, they produced aviation engines from 1914 onward, and didn't seperate the two businesses until 1973. It was actually trying to develop/produce the RB211 jet engine that was what led to the nationalisation of the company. The Rolls Royce Motor, having been seperated from Rolls Royce Plc (the jet engine manufacturing part) was bought by Vickers (198) and eventually sold to BMW with the Bentley name being sold to Volkswagen in 1998.

**A totally useless factiod: Rolls Royce is the second largest aircraft engine manufacturer in the world after General Electrics and the 16th largest Defense Contractor.

If anyone cares, Rolls Royce is owned by BMW. Also, they produced aviation engines from 1914 onward, and didn't seperate the two businesses until 1973. It was actually trying to develop/produce the RB211 jet engine that was what led to the nationalisation of the company. The Rolls Royce Motor, having been seperated from Rolls Royce Plc (the jet engine manufacturing part) was bought by Vickers (198) and eventually sold to BMW with the Bentley name being sold to Volkswagen in 1998.

**A totally useless factiod: Rolls Royce is the second largest aircraft engine manufacturer in the world after General Electrics and the 16th largest Defense Contractor.

It's rather ironic that a lot of the aircraft, used by the allies during WW II, to bomb German industries B.M.W., Volkswagen, Daimler-Benz etc., were powered by Rolls Royce engines.

Now those very industries own Rolls Royce. :D

I know Vickers has now gone, but I always said I'd cheerfully 'do the time' for a chance to punch the chairman of Vickers {Chandler, now chair of EasyJet} on the nose for selling {divesting to focus on core competencies} of Rolls Royce Motors to BMW.

The real irony here, is that ultimately Vickers became Alvis {another traditional British car manufacturer till '67, who's core business was also armoured products} and then bought by Rolls Royce {the aero engine manufacturer}, which subsequently saw the defence operation almost purchased by General Dynamics but political issues led to BEA System purchase, leading to the extinguishing of the Vickers Name after 175 years in 2005.

Ludicrous really.

Regards

PS Vickers-Armstrong was also the parent company of Supermarine the company behind the Spitfire.

^ I know, the bizarre thing is people all over the world use the term 'Rolls Royce' as an attribution of the acme of quality, style etc., and an arms seller, {up to his neck in Saudi dodgy deals}, decides it's not worth keeping, or investing in. I'm told the Vickers shareholders meeting was 'colourful'.

Though one must say that somehow BMW understood the ethos of the car, the Phantom is an extraordinary vehicle, and still constructed in England, at Goodwood.

Regards

PS I've always preferred the short term Royce, after all he was the engineer.

Edited by A_Traveller