Gas Bottle Blues

polecat

Wonder if anyone can shed some light on this:

Just moved into a new apartment and need to get gas hooked up for the kitchen. The apartment manager says we need to buy a bottle for a little over 2000 baht and then get it refilled for a couple of hundred when needed. Basically the same deal at the gas bottle shop around the corner (we live on Suk 38).

The thing is we move around a lot and most places we've lived have provided a gas bottle, or only allowed electric stoves. So I'm reluctant to get stuck with a big metal bottle we might not need at the next place. I also seem to remember just leaving a deposit on gas bottles before, as opposed to having to buy it.

(If money wasn't a bit tight at the moment, I wouldn't be asking)

Any advice?

We bought the bottle (and regulator) both in Malaysia and here in LoS. Sold the bottle back to the shop when we moved although apparently we could have sold it to the new tenents.

In the home country you have to buy the bottle, why would they give it to you, may never see you again, so what would be different about Thailand? Try organising to sell it back to supplier when you leave.

Yes, in the UK you have to pay for the bottle. Also, as far as I know, you are not allowed to use gas in multi story buildings.

Buying gas bottles is perfectly normal. Even when you take bottles with you when you move, you will invariably find that the connectors are different, because they use a different make of bottle, and they cost almost as much as the bottles.

It's when you are asked to buy buffaloes that you should start to worry. :o

In the home country you have to buy the bottle, why would they give it to you, may never see you again, so what would be different about Thailand? Try organising to sell it back to supplier when you leave.

Yes, in the UK you have to pay for the bottle. Also, as far as I know, you are not allowed to use gas in multi story buildings.

Not so. The only bottle you pay for is the little blue 7k calor used on caravans. Keep the receipt as you can only take it back to where you bought it.

All other 15k (normal size) gas bottles are free. I had to take a whole load to my tip some months ago. They send them back to the gas suppliers.

Many thanks for the advice. Looks like I'm buying one.

It's not really a big deal as you only have to buy it once (the first time). Then, when ever it gets low/empty, you just call up your local cooking gas shop and they send a boy around with a replacement can and he swaps it for the one you already have. Simple yes...and you just pay for the gas in the replacement (not the cost of the canister itself). Basically, the canisters are recycled...they will refill your old one and sell the gas again to the next customer. Also, buy a decent regulator/gas valve on your first purchase.

The canisters come in various sizes...choose one that best fits how much you cook at home. If you only cook occasionally, even a small canister will often last over a year. Also, I believe the price of the canisters and gas refills are regulated by law so there is no point in shopping around...just use the shop closest to your home.

Yes, I guess selling it back to them might be an option.

Further to your question, over the years I have actually noticed several things that work differently in Thailand than in my home country. One that springs to mind is that few places here seem to be hooked up to a mains supply of natural gas. Another one is that when you greet people, instead of saying ''Hello'' and smiling, most people clasp their hands together and say something in a foreign language. I could go on.

:o