Water Tank

guyshown

Has any one built built an elevated water tank?

I am in need of 2 seperate water tanks that are elevated.

I was thinking of using a solar powered pump system with a float to keep the tank full. I will be using the water to supply my drip lines that feed my rubber trees.

Some questions i was thinking of are what shoul the tanks be made out of? how high? how much the total cost is an issue since im on a budget.

thanks in advance

guyshown

If you are on a budget I suggest you check out the price of solar powered pumps & exactly what they are capable of doing.

You may be shocked.

Use the search function on the farming forum & I think you'll turn up some info on solar pumping & tanks.

If you've got more specific questions you'll probably get better answers.

good luck

You can buy both tanks and frames - go to any hradware store with a diagram of a water tank on a trellis frame and the shop assistant will pull out a catalouge and ask you to select which one you want - diferent volumes and different heights.

Prices range from about Baht20K for a 3cubic mtere on a 3 meter high frame thru to 3-5cubic meters on a 5 meter frame whcih wil come in at around Baht 40k - 70k

3 - 5cubic meters tanks come in galvanised tin and molded plastic - both have pros and cons - I like galvanised tin (because I have thatch roof on the house - so the outside tank I like to think will take a beating before the house - well, thats the theory!!!).

pond life and maizefarmer

thanks for the advice i will check it out, i kind of feel stupid .....now i think about it the local hardware(and everything else) store has a brochure up on the wall.

I guess i otta open my eyes a little more, just thinking maybe can make it cheaper my self

since the my place is thatched roof also i can relate to your theory

cheers

guyshown

With an elvated tank you will need a pump to get the water up most probably but have you considered digging DOWN and making your tank in the ground.

You will still need a pump to get the water out but it will be a lot safer. A neighbour of mine had a 70,000 litre elevated tank built and one sunny day there was a loud bang as one wall collapsed and emptied the tank very quickly.

If you have the space and buy a commercial tank you could bury it or alternatively you could get one built to your own requirements.

Just a thought.

What!!!! - a 70cubic meter water tank (domestic??) - thats 70 tons - yer, you bet that needs some supporting construction!

Bloody hel_l - I am suprized he wasn't washed down the street - house and all!

No big deal really, MF. My front patio rests on a freestanding 94 cubic meter water tank, which I built 12 years ago. It is simply reinforced concrete. Approximate inner measurements are 14.8m x 4.3m x 1.47m. This collects my roof-collected rainwater. I have a concrete tank incorporated in a decorative concrete tower behind my house (and on a higher elevation). This tank (outer dimensions: 4m x 4m x 2m) holds around 27cu. metres to which I pump from the patio tank once every two months. I use a Honda 3" petrol pump situated on the ground floor of the water tower to draw water from the patio tank over a distance of around 40m (rising 2m), which pumps to the top of the tank (7m high). Both tanks built by local villagers.

The total 121,000 litres is more than sufficient for all our domestic water needs.

For my old feedlots, I used four used (and well washed) 1,000-litre plastic tanks on top of a wooden tower. These tanks are available all over Thailand (and certainly all along the Asian Highway); they cost me Bt2,200-2,500 per tank some years ago. A very cheap but effective water storage system. They were easily plumbed in line.

Rgds

Khonwan

I was thinking of using a solar powered pump system with a float to keep the tank full. I will be using the water to supply my drip lines that feed my rubber trees.

Some questions i was thinking of are what shoul the tanks be made out of? how high? how much the total cost is an issue since im on a budget.

thanks in advance

guyshown

Guyshown, I build a water tank 2 month ago from concrete rings. I believe this is the method for the highest cubic meter storage volume per bath and its simple. Concrete rings are 40 cm high and have diameters from 80, 100 and 120 cm. One 120 cm ring can store 450 liter. You start with a ring that has a concrete bottom, for example 120 cm diameter, then add 4-6 rings on top. You can extend the storage capacity later. Cost for a tank with 120 cm diameter: First ring with bottom: 350 bath; concrete ring 120 cm 250 bath; lid 150 bath. Delivery including putting the rings on each other 20bath/ring. Inlet, outlet pipes, some valves about 400 bath. Concrete to connect rings and make tank water tight 200 bath. Total cost for 2200 liter storage tank about 2200 bath; 1 bath/liter. To make the tank totally water tight was not so easy. Check out quality of concrete rings; I found big differences. Hope this helps. Mangofarmer

What!!!! - a 70cubic meter water tank (domestic??) - thats 70 tons - yer, you bet that needs some supporting construction!

No big deal really, MF. My front patio rests on a freestanding 94 cubic meter water tank, which I built 12 years ago. It is simply reinforced concrete. Approximate inner measurements are 14.8m x 4.3m x 1.47m. This collects my roof-collected rainwater. I have a concrete tank incorporated in a decorative concrete tower behind my house (and on a higher elevation). This tank (outer dimensions: 4m x 4m x 2m) holds around 27cu. metres to which I pump from the patio tank once every two months. I use a Honda 3" petrol pump situated on the ground floor of the water tower to draw water from the patio tank over a distance of around 40m (rising 2m), which pumps to the top of the tank (7m high). Both tanks built by local villagers.

The total 121,000 litres is more than sufficient for all our domestic water needs.

For my old feedlots, I used four used (and well washed) 1,000-litre plastic tanks on top of a wooden tower. These tanks are available all over Thailand (and certainly all along the Asian Highway); they cost me Bt2,200-2,500 per tank some years ago. A very cheap but effective water storage system. They were easily plumbed in line.

Rgds

Khonwan

Youre a brave man Khonwan! yer, I know its not too difficult to do - and fair enough your big tank is at more or less ground level.

I have a couple tanks on stands outside - but they small compared to yours - less than 10cubic meters - the idea being as I get my water straight form the ground - and it comes up from real deep at about 7degrees C - it doesn't stay in the tank long enough to get warm. I have had them ice up on 3 occassions, not solid throug, but about 5mm on the top and enough in the downpipes to stop flow untill about 10am - once in 1989, once in 1993 and again in 01.

thanks in advance

guyshown

Guyshown, I build a water tank 2 month ago from concrete rings. I believe this is the method for the highest cubic meter storage volume per bath and its simple. Concrete rings are 40 cm high and have diameters from 80, 100 and 120 cm. One 120 cm ring can store 450 liter. You start with a ring that has a concrete bottom, for example 120 cm diameter, then add 4-6 rings on top. You can extend the storage capacity later. Cost for a tank with 120 cm diameter: First ring with bottom: 350 bath; concrete ring 120 cm 250 bath; lid 150 bath. Delivery including putting the rings on each other 20bath/ring. Inlet, outlet pipes, some valves about 400 bath. Concrete to connect rings and make tank water tight 200 bath. Total cost for 2200 liter storage tank about 2200 bath; 1 bath/liter. To make the tank totally water tight was not so easy. Check out quality of concrete rings; I found big differences. Hope this helps. Mangofarmer

I run a business based in Naklua "WET" Water Engineered Technologies (Thailand) Ltd ([email protected]) and I do alsorts with water. Domestic & Commercial.

The above solution is a very good and effective/cheap way of doing it. May I suggest you get your hands on the Davco brand of adhesive and Davco elastic which you use to gether to render and water proof the inside and outside if above ground. The adhesive looks like a concrete mix and the elastic is a rubber liquid that you mix 50/50 with water. Let it go off/set for about 15/20 minutes befoer you render.

Cheers

I run a business based in Naklua "WET" Water Engineered Technologies (Thailand) Ltd ([email protected]) and I do alsorts with water. Domestic & Commercial.

The above solution is a very good and effective/cheap way of doing it. May I suggest you get your hands on the Davco brand of adhesive and Davco elastic which you use to gether to render and water proof the inside and outside if above ground. The adhesive looks like a concrete mix and the elastic is a rubber liquid that you mix 50/50 with water. Let it go off/set for about 15/20 minutes befoer you render.

Cheers

Thanks for that useful information Bagwain.

Rgds

khonwan

Rgds

Khonwan

I just bought a 1200 litre water tank like KhonWans in Khampaeng Phet this morning and it cost me 4,000 baht.

Youre a brave man Khonwan! yer, I know its not too difficult to do - and fair enough your big tank is at more or less ground level.

I have a couple tanks on stands outside - but they small compared to yours - less than 10cubic meters - the idea being as I get my water straight form the ground - and it comes up from real deep at about 7degrees C - it doesn't stay in the tank long enough to get warm. I have had them ice up on 3 occassions, not solid throug, but about 5mm on the top and enough in the downpipes to stop flow untill about 10am - once in 1989, once in 1993 and again in 01.

Link it to Tims reply above and the reason for the purchase is that there is no more government water until Songkran and with 12 people in 3 houses we use a lot of water.

I will put the tank in the pickup and nip to the klong to fill it using the chinese "Honda" waterpump, then back home and pump the water into the ongs until they are topped up again. A bit expensive in the short term but we have this problem every year and unfortunately we don't have the luxury of a borehole.

• 1 month later...

Rgds

Khonwan

Good idea to use numerous tanks (= less weight on each frame if you must elevate them.)

Khonwan: 121,000 litres 'more than sufficient' for your domestic needs? I should hope so! Propably sufficient for Khon Kaen's domestic needs!!!!!

Edited by himachal

Keep in mind that there are different types of plastic tanks. The better ones are two ply, the inner ply being black and the outer normally blue. The cheaper tanks are single ply and are translucent. Algae grows VERY well in those translucent tanks and would be a nightmare if you were using drip irrigation.

Khonwan: 121,000 litres 'more than sufficient' for your domestic needs? I should hope so! Propably sufficient for Khon Kaen's domestic needs!!!!!

I can understand your surprise, himachai, but it isn't excessive for my circumstances. It's basically enough to see my family of four (plus frequent guests) through the dry season, which can sometimes last for 7 months. I calculate that we use around 450-500 litres each day. I have no bore-well or municipal water. I collect rainwater from a 250m² section of my roof.

Rgds

Khonwan

"Concrete rings are 40 cm high and have diameters from 80, 100 and 120 cm. One 120 cm ring can store 450 liter. You start with a ring that has a concrete bottom, for example 120 cm diameter, then add 4-6 rings on top. You can extend the storage capacity later. "

Have seen these kind of water storage tanks all over and have always wondered how high can you stack these cement rings? The higher, the more pressure, but what about stability?? Would need a solid firm cement base maybe with pilings and maybe some guy wires to stabalize it. anyone know the maximum height???

I can understand your surprise, himachai, but it isn't excessive for my circumstances. It's basically enough to see my family of four (plus frequent guests) through the dry season, which can sometimes last for 7 months. I calculate that we use around 450-500 litres each day. I have no bore-well or municipal water. I collect rainwater from a 250m² section of my roof.

Rgds

Khonwan

My storage is around 30,000 litres whaich also sounds a lot but over SongKran we had 16 people in the main house and 4 in the workers house so if you can imagine all that lot using the toilets, showering, using the washing machine and cooking plus SongKran you can see how much water was used.

Unfortunately the municipal water ran out before SongKran and I spent 3 1/2 days after it hauling water from the klong in a 1300 litre tank on the back of the pick up.

I am glad to say that now the municipal water has come back on line. :o:D :D

since the my place is thatched roof also i can relate to your theory

cheers

guyshown

How do you find the quality of the water from the thatch roof? Is it yellow? I don't think it's suitable for anything household, except flushing the toilet, but I was wondering if it smells or any other problems.

Rgds

Khonwan

Hi Khonwan

I am about to start building and saw your underground tank and thought great idea, if only for storing water for irrigation of the garden, but how do you stop the tank becoming a breeding pit for mozzie?

Gwynt

Hi Khonwan

I am about to start building and saw your underground tank and thought great idea, if only for storing water for irrigation of the garden, but how do you stop the tank becoming a breeding pit for mozzie?

Gwynt

Hi Gwynt

My tank is not underground. My front door was around 2 metres above ground; my tank was therefore built on top of the ground in front (the top soil having already been removed). The concrete tank was then topped with my concrete patio and tiled - therefore no problem with mossies.

An underground tank would be easier to construct since the soil would help to counteract the pressure of the water. Build a reinforced concrete top over it and you can drive over it, or whatever you wish.

My additional elevated 4m x4m x2m concrete tank is also capped by concrete, upon which I built a sala overlooking the top of my house and farm.

Rgds

Khonwan

• 9 months later...
Khonwan,

Can you post a pic of the inline plumbing you did? Thanks.

Jeff

Hi Jeff

Not sure I understand where you want me to photograph.

Two pipes take the water from the roof-gutters down to the collection tank (my patio); a 3”pipe (with valve) exits this tank and travels underground for 34 metres to my 3” Honda water-pump located on the ground floor of my detached water tower. A 3” outlet-pipe is connected to this and rises to the top of my tank built above the second floor. A 3” pipe (with valve) connected NEAR the bottom of this tank gravity-feeds my house. A 1” pipe (with valve) at the bottom of this tank acts as a sediment drain, for use prior to refilling.

Due to the distance between the pump and the water source (my collection tank/patio), I removed the internal non-return valve from the Honda-pump and routed a 1” pipe (with valve) from the water-tower 3” outlet to the 3” Honda-pump outlet (i.e. the water-tower inlet). Ensuring that the 3” valve on my collection-tank/patio is closed, I flood (prime) the 3” suction pipe with water by opening the 1.5” valve. This valve is closed once the pump is working; the 3” valve at the collection-tank/patio is only opened immediately after starting the Honda-pump.

I also have two ong-yai (the huge water jars) at ground level with the water tower that are also connected between the tower and house. These act as emergency tanks to ensure the pump can still be primed even if the water-tower is dry, and to ensure the house is supplied (for up to 5 days) until such time as I refill the water-tower (e.g. in case I’ve run out of petrol for the Honda-pump). The ground level of the water-tower and emergency ong-yais is around 3 metres higher than the ground floor of my house.

The only filter employed is a relatively small wall-mounted filter (activated carbon and….can’t recall – haven’t changed them in years!) in my kitchen for drinking water. The water is delicious and crystal clear (including the non-filtered water).

Rgds

Khonwan