400.000 Or 800.000 Bank Deposit

I am a British citizen married to a Thai for 25 years and thinking of going for a retirement visa later this year but, I am confused as to how much I must have in the bank for this 3 month period before appling for the visa.

I you are married you must have 400.000 in the bank and, if single 800.000 is that correct. My wife and I have a joint Bank account, is that OK or must I have a sepetrate Bank account for this money.

Can any one point me towards links that will get all the retirement visa requirements I must fulfill before making my application

Thanks

I believe the 400K option was when you got an extension based on being married to a Thai. That was discontinued.

Now:

1) 40K/month family income if married to a Thai (extension based on marriage)

or

2) 65K/month pension and not married to a Thai (extension based on retirement)

or

3) 800K in Thai bank and not married to a Thai. (extension based on retirement)

I believe the 400K option was when you got an extension based on being married to a Thai. That was discontinued.

Now:

1) 40K/month family income if married to a Thai (extension based on marriage)

or

2) 65K/month pension and not married to a Thai (extension based on retirement)

or

Perfect answer--succinct and to the point--and my God, that's one hel_l of a trampoline.

For retirement there is only the 800k in bank 3 months prior to application or 65k income per month by Embassy letter or a combination of the two to meet the 800k total. It matter not if you are married/not married or married to a Thai.

If you are married to a Thai you have the 40k per month family income option for extensions - but it is a little more paperwork than retirement.

Am not sure if they will accept a joint account with Thai spouse - they will not if spouse in not Thai unless the account holds double the required amount.

It would be best to ask at your local office the exact paperwork they want.

I am a British citizen married to a Thai for 25 years and thinking of going for a retirement visa later this year but, I am confused as to how much I must have in the bank for this 3 month period before appling for the visa.

I you are married you must have 400.000 in the bank and, if single 800.000 is that correct. My wife and I have a joint Bank account, is that OK or must I have a sepetrate Bank account for this money.

Can any one point me towards links that will get all the retirement visa requirements I must fulfill before making my application

Thanks

My Mum is 70 and moved out here 18 months ago to be closer to me. Having been through this process twice now, I can say that the above info is totally correct.

One more thing though, you can mix and match deposit, and income.

For example, my Mum only has 50k from her pension which can be offset from the 800k, therefore, with her 50k pension, and only as 200k deposit in the bank, she was fine.

The money in the bank MUST come from overseas, and you MUST have a letter from the bank stating the balance, AND the fact that the moeny came from overseas. The letter from the bank must also have the same date as when you apply for the visa. IE - trip to the bank in the morning, and get the visa in the afternoon.

I very much recommend the Bangkok Bank on Soi Suamplu, just a few doors away from the immigration office - they have English speaking staff and are very knowledgable on what must be written in the letter.

Also, as another poster as explained, you must have a letter from your own Embassy, in Bangkok, confirming that you have the pension income. For this, they normally require 6 months bank statements.

Hope that helps.

Cheers.

Edited by stuthailand

I have done two extensions in Jomtien. First time I got the bank letter on Friday and went to immigration Monday. Second time I got the bank letter the day before. No problem either time. The issue would have been if the balance on the letter did not match to the baht the amount in the bank book.

Also, if you are using the bank account money alone to qualify you do not need an embassy letter.

Edited by Jingthing

Thanks

My friend and his Tgf are not married but have a joint bank account. When he last applied for his retirement visa based on having 800,000 baht in the bank he was told he had to show 1,600,000 because it was a joint acc.

If you already have an extension of you visa based on marriage, using 400K in the bank then

it is my understanding that you can continue to do so.

However no new application on this basis will be allowed.

Why change if you are already on the 400K system?

However if you want an extension based on retirement then you need 800K, whether

single or married. Your martial status is irrelevant.

The money should be in you account for 3 months before you apply.

Others will no doubt comment on the joint account side.

Thanks for the replies so far, I need clarification on the joint Bank account and I need general information on the procedure to follow in applying.

I plan on returning to Thailand end of May with a multi O visa from the UK so I have plenty of time to get this sorted out,

any advice on this will be appreciated

Thanks again

I was just thinking about about the marriage extension of 40 k the month .

Me and my wife( thai ) are in our thirties , so what happens when we are in our sixties

or seventies ? still have to make 40k ? Sounds a bit harsh in my opinion , at the time

we will be 50 years married .

I does concern me a bit , cause I don't have security benefits like older people who came

to Thailand at an older stage at that time. I do probably can stock and keep some dosh only for retirement

reasons at an older age .

Things likely will have changed a the time , and I think when I am over 50 will switch visas on

dependant on my then adult sons .

For the OP , stick with what you have allready , (if you stay with the 400k extension I mean ), is the best

to hope for , 40k ( the month) is a lot more tricky , and 800k is a double amount .

If you already have an extension of you visa based on marriage, using 400K in the bank then

it is my understanding that you can continue to do so.

However no new application on this basis will be allowed.

Why change if you are already on the 400K system?

However if you want an extension based on retirement then you need 800K, whether

single or married. Your martial status is irrelevant.

The money should be in you account for 3 months before you apply.

Others will no doubt comment on the joint account side.

I read that travel outside Thailand is not permitted on retirement visas; the retirement status is lost if one does. Can anyone confirm this?

You must obtain a re-entry permit on any type of extension of stay prior to travel. You do that at an immigration office at a cost of 1,000 baht or 3,800 for the multi type.

I assume you are talking about retirement extension of stay rather than retirement visa (which you obtain from a Consulate and provides a one year stamp on arrival in Thailand).

I've asked this before, but cant remember getting a definitive answer. Is the 800,000 TBH all you need to show each and every time you have to get an extension.

What i mean by that is.....you open an account 3 months prior to applying for "retirement" visa.

Then is it just a case of all you have to do is ......leave the bank book in a drawer somewhere and only take it out of the drawer to take it to Immigration, showing that, while you DO have the requirement, its the "same old 800,000 TBH" you had year after year, with NO movement in the account?

In effect, leaving it untouched

Penkoprod

Someone more knowledgable will no doubt answer, but I recall if you want to leave the 800K untouched, even if you secure it 3 months in advance, Immigration will probably want to see another account or the means by which you are supporting yourself with deposits and withdrawals.

They may not believe that you have another treasure chest under your bed!

Retirement is only available to those age 50 and above so the extreme suspicion of non money movement meaning work it not as strong (as it used to be with the support Thai wife 400k deposits). Do not believe anyone has had a problem using the same funds and indeed some have used fixed deposit accounts. Believe a show of living funds is always welcome do not believe most people are asked for it.

As Lopburi says, leaving the same money in the account untouched is fine. Mine is in a 1 year fixed term account and has been for a while. I do provide proof of extra income each time I renew, but that is just to forestall any possible questions. I always have too much paperwork, rather than not enough, just in case!