Can I Get Updates On The Visa Situation In Penang And Singapore?

Who knows of the current situation in Penang? I just found out that a friend was issued a double entry tourist visa in Penang 2 days ago!! This goes against everything we have been reading. I am going to go and see it for myself to confirm but he did go to Penang and now he is back and says he has a double entry. Also the Singapore Embassy has said they will only issue one tourist Visa per year because it is impossible for anyone to have a holiday for more than 90 days and they must be working! HA!

Now I also want to confirm for those that have such a negative view of people "abusing the system" that I myself am not. I don't need to qualify myself but I will give an outline.....

I made a few trips as a tourist then had an extended holiday after selling one business. I now have means and wish to spend most of my time in Thailand. I have business plans here and am already going purchase a stake in a business that I will not be working in or on however it needs a capital injection to exploit its potential and will not need a work permit or even a B Visa for this. I am now at a situation where I plan on being in Australia in 3 or 4 months for 2 months to liquidate some assets before the end of the year. I will then decide if I want to make further investment in Thailand and work in Thailand.

My situation is at the moment I really fall into the black hole. I am young (30's) founded and run 2 businesses and set myself for a comfortable life by Australian standards without the need to work anymore although I want to start some new ventures in the future. So of course the case also is that if I wished I could retire in Thailand no problem but of course no retirement Visa for me! But after being here for 8 months I don't really feel like a tourist and would like to settle. Do I now find myself being forced to get a Non B before I even conduct any business here yet and may not? I have the option to get a B Visa based on the company I am investing in but it is not even where I plan to live and in trusted hands so I am basically just a shareholder. I have to go and acquire a new Visa next week... what to do? Try my luck at another TV and feel out of place with it again? Go to the trouble of getting a non B in Penang, KL or Singapore or what? I hope to resolve this all in the thread. Help most appreciated.

cant help with the latest penang info, but i did just get a new double entry tourist in Vientiane, no questions asked. For saving on the hassle, you might as well get a one year non B, it just makes life more comfortable, otherwise you're going to be going out every few months and possibly having to worry..

Ok. I think it may not be so wise for me to run on tourist visa's. If I want to get a Non B 1 year is this possible in Penang and what are the exact requirements for this at the current time? If I can't get a 1 year what are the requirements for a 3 month Non B from Penang?

You would probably have to have a work permit to get a one year multi entry B visa in a consulate in the area. Probably would have to go back to your home country to get a multi B without a work permit.

In the local area, they only seem to like to give out single entry, and figure you can extend it in country with a work permit. Or if you are not working, then they feel that you do not need a multi entry, because 90 days is long enough to do business.

Edited by jstumbo