Rangers Are The Last Remaining British Team In The Uefa Cup.

Jockstar

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LKIBA,how can you say that.The jocks love to support english teams hehheheheheheh.

Anyway i am british not english or scottish/welsh/irish,so i want to see any brit team win against the european teams.

Patriotic to the end unlike some brits i know lol.

I thought there would be many members wishing us luck. :D:D

yes i wish u as much luck of winning as u would of an english team of winning :o

I always like to see any of the English teams do well in the UEFA cup or CL.Unless they are playing a Scottish side that is. It's the English national side i like to see getting humped.. :D :D

LKIBA,how can you say that.The jocks love to support english teams hehheheheheheh.

Anyway i am british not english or scottish/welsh/irish,so i want to see any brit team win against the european teams.

Patriotic to the end unlike some brits i know lol.

nice reply :o look ur scottish and im english respect. anyone can have a british passport it means nothing now

It's time there was a Rangers Supporters Club in either BKK or Patters, or at least a Rangers friendly bar or 2.

Tell me and I will be there also. I was in a Pub in Silom when Rangers beat Celtic, and I cheered when Rangers put in the winning goal, only to be looked at like I was a new form of evil.

It's time there was a Rangers Supporters Club in either BKK or Patters, or at least a Rangers friendly bar or 2.

Tell me and I will be there also. I was in a Pub in Silom when Rangers beat Celtic, and I cheered when Rangers put in the winning goal, only to be looked at like I was a new form of evil.

Was it an Irish pub? :o

Looks like be have some bad injuries and suspensions. But if we dont concede at home then i'll be happy going into the second leg. I gotta get up at 4am for a 4.30am kickoff. :D So they better fuc_king win. :o This from soccernet.

Rangers wracked by injuries for Viola

GLASGOW, April 23 (Reuters) - Rangers have been hit by a series of injuries and suspensions for Thursday's UEFA Cup semi-final first leg at home to Fiorentina.

Captain Barry Ferguson and fellow midfielder Kevin Thomson are banned while in-form goalkeeper Allan McGregor is among a long list of casualties for the Scottish Premier League title chasers.

Striker Lee McCulloch and midfielder Charlie Adam are out and Steven Naismith and Chris Burke are likely to miss both legs after picking up knee and ankle injuries respectively in Sunday's Scottish Cup semi-final win over St Johnstone.

'Naismith and Burke have no chance of playing on Thursday and I think they will miss our next three games at least,' manager Walter Smith told reporters.

The second leg in Florence is on May 1 with the final at the City of Manchester Stadium on May 14.

Fiorentina, fourth in Serie A and gunning for a Champions League place next season, have been luckier with injuries with Czech defender Tomas Ujfalusi the only notable absentee because of a thigh problem.

Midfielder Marco Donadel is suspended but Cesare Prandelli's side are otherwise in good shape.

Romania striker Adrian Mutu was again the inspiration in the quarter-final win over PSV Eindhoven, scoring twice in the away second leg after a lacklustre 1-1 home draw in the first.

Winning 2-0 in Eindhoven was a good achievement but defender Dario Dainelli said the Italians could not take it easier in the semi-final just because they were at home second.

'I don't think it changes anything playing away first and at home second. We always go on the field with the same attitude,' he said. 'We are already very focused.'

The two sides met in the final of the 1961 European Cup Winners' Cup with Fiorentina winning 4-1 over two legs.

But if we dont concede at home then i'll be happy going into the second leg

0-0

Could have worse. In the first half we were pretty <deleted>. We gave them too much time on the ball. In the 2nd half we were better and actually created some chances. But i'll take the 0-0. Going on our away form and having a few players returning who were missing tonight. I cant see why we cant get a result over there. Our away form in Europe has been fanatstic. Come on the Gers.

Time for bed again i think. Its Anzac day here. So that means pub and 2 up later.

Rangers 0-0 FiorentinaScoring Summary

Rangers Fiorentina

Match Stats

Rangers Fiorentina

Shots (on Goal) 4(0) 7(6)

Fouls 20 19

Corner Kicks 2 3

Offsides 1 3

Time of Possession 44% 56%

Yellow Cards 0 3

Red Cards 0 0

Saves 6 2

Match Information

Stadium: Ibrox Stadium, Scotland

Attendance: 49,199

Match Time: 19:45 UK

Referee(s):

Kyros Vassaras (Referee)

Teams

Rangers Fiorentina

13 Neil Alexander 1 Sebastien Frey

3 David Weir 5 Alessandro Gamberini

30 Christian Dailly 21 Tomas Ujfalusi

28 Steven Whittaker 20 Martin Jorgensen

21 Kirk Broadfoot 11 Fabio Liverani

5 Sasa Papac 24 Mario Santana

24 Carlos Jimenez Cuellar 19 Massimo Gobbi

7 Brahim Hemdani 18 Riccardo Montolivo

35 Steven Davis 22 Zdravko Kuzmanovic

10 Nacho Novo 10 Adrian Mutu

19 Jean Claude Darcheville 29 Giampaolo Pazzini

Substitutes

16 Graeme Smith Vlada Avramov 25

22 Andy Webster Per Kroldrup 2

39 Amdy Faye Dario Dainelli 3

4 Thomas Buffel Alessandro Potenza 6

9 Kris Boyd Manuel Pasqual 23

15 Alan Gow Christian Vieri 32

29 Daniel Cousin Pablo Daniel Osvaldo 9

Substitutions

Thomas Buffel for Nacho Novo (59) Christian Vieri for Giampaolo Pazzini (81)

Daniel Cousin for Jean Claude Darcheville (59)

Yellow Cards

Mario Santana (22)

Alessandro Gamberini (79)

Massimo Gobbi (83)

· Club Squads: Rangers | Fiorentina

Updated: April 24, 2008, 5:05 PM ET

Rangers kept their European and quadruple dreams alive after another Ibrox shut-out put them within sight of the UEFA Cup final as they drew 0-0 with Fiorentina.

The Italian outfit became the seventh club in European competition this season to fail to find the back of the net at Ibrox as the first leg of the semi-final ended goalless in Glasgow.

With Barry Ferguson and Kevin Thomson due to return from suspension for the return leg in Florence next week, Walter Smith's men will be hopeful of progressing to a meeting with Bayern Munich or Zenit St Petersburg in next month's final in Manchester.

As expected, Rangers began with a cautious 4-5-1 formation, with the role of lone striker occupied by Jean-Claude Darcheville, with fellow frontmen Daniel Cousin and Kris Boyd named among the substitutes.

Christian Dailly started in a depleted midfield, after reports indicating he had beaten illness to make himself available, while goalkeeper Neil Alexander made his European debut due to Allan McGregor's absence through injury.

Fiorentina were without the suspended Marco Donadel - the scorer of the only goal in the Serie A win over Palermo at the weekend - but were boosted by key defender Tomas Ujfalusi's recovery from injury.

Alexander's first task was to deal with a ferocious shot from the left boot of Adrian Mutu, the Romanian who has blossomed since his return to Italy.

Carlos Cuellar was also alert to clear the danger with Giampaolo Pazzini loitering with intent in front of goal.

Then came a moment which had the Rangers crown rising from their seats.

A dummy on the halfway line allowed Darcheville to embark on a bustling run down the left flank.

He perhaps should have had a shot at goal himself before being closed down by Alessandro Gamberini.

Instead, with Steven Davis bearing down on goal, the Frenchman attempted the pass but goalkeeper Sebastien Frey was able to collect instead, thanks to a couple of deflections.

Steven Whittaker then tried his luck from the edge of the box but the effort was not nearly as classy as the wonderful goal he claimed against Sporting Lisbon in Portugal in the last round and dipped harmlessly off target.

With 21 minutes on the clock, Greek referee Kyros Vassaras issued the first yellow card of the match for a foul on Darcheville.

Unfortunately for Rangers, Mario Alberto Santana was not one of three Fiorentina players walking a disciplinary tightrope ahead of the second leg.

La Viola pressed in search of an away goal and Mutu - among those on a booking ahead of the game - was penalised for handball, a let-off for a Rangers side facing immense pressure at that point.

The former Chelsea man then slipped a neat pass through to Santana, which was hooked to safety by Cuellar, with a furious Alexander claiming he had the move covered.

Rangers emerged after the interval in a more positive frame of mind and a long pass clipped forward by Kirk Broadfoot released Nacho Novo through on goal.

The striker found himself one on one with Frey but it was the goalkeeper who won the battle, smothering before Novo could unleash a shot.

Novo then whipped a teasing ball across the face of goal to Davis, whose glancing header was narrowly off-target, before the little striker squandered another chance of his own by screwing wide of Frey's left-hand post.

That proved to be Novo's final contribution for the night and he was withdrawn just before the hour mark along with Darcheville, with Thomas Buffel and Cousin both thrown into the action.

Mutu had netted a superb free-kick against PSV Eindhoven in the last round but was denied the same outcome with a long-ranger at Ibrox, Alexander proving to be resolute in the Rangers goal.

With the clock running down, Gamberini went in the book for a foul on Cousin.

Sasa Papac's free-kick into the box eventually found its way to Dailly at the far post via Cuellar but he nodded across the goalmouth and agonisingly wide.

Fiorentina threw everything at Rangers in the final moments but were denied the away goal they craved, with the tie remaining on a knife-edge ahead of a winner-takes-all clash at the Artemio Franchi Stadium.

"This is your chance, this is your time, become legends'' was the message from a banner in the Copland Road stand.

For Rangers, the dream could yet become a reality.

I think they are getting worried. :o

Mutu: Rangers tie leaves 'everything to play for'

Fiorentina striker Adrian Mutu insists the Italian side must beat Rangers to the punch in Florence next week to book their place in next month's final.

The Viola held Rangers to a goalless draw at Ibrox in last night's UEFA Cup semi-final first leg.

With Rangers having already shown an ability to strike a killer blow away from home in this tournament, Mutu knows his team face an arduous task in Florence next Thursday.

'It's a good result to take home in view of the return leg,' admitted Mutu. 'But the tie is 50-50, everything is to play for.

'Rangers are a good side and we will have to be extremely careful because we know how strong they have been on the road in this competition, they already showed it in the quarter-final stages and in the last 32.'

Having been held to a goalless draw at Ibrox against Sporting Lisbon, the Scottish giants won 2-0 on Portuguese soil to reach the last four of the competition.

Mutu believes his team will need to show more flair and step up their game to end Walter Smith's hopes of steering Rangers to the final.

'In Florence, we will need to attack more if we want to reach the final in Manchester,' said Mutu.

'I expect to give more contribution in attack in the return leg as in this game I had to play more of a midfield role.

'It has been a difficult game at Ibrox, the pitch wasn't in good condition and I have struggled. But I don't think it was a problem to do with the atmosphere.

'We are a mature side and we've already proved we can handle this kind of atmosphere.

'The fact is we didn't have much space but despite this we created more than them

Rather than start a new topic. I just wanted to say theres another big game tonight. Celtic v Rangers. I think if Rangers win or draw the league is ours. But if for some reason Celtic win . Then its all on. Come on the Gers!!

Celtic expect Shunsuke Nakamura to make Sunday's Old Firm derby despite illness and injury problems.

The Japan midfielder was hampered by an ankle problem earlier this week and has missed training with a virus.

But Scott Brown and Gary Caldwell return from suspension and Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink, Andreas Hinkel, Lee Naylor and Paul Hartley have returned to training following injury.

Boss Gordon Strachan believes a local influence has taken the Old Firm derby back to its grass roots.

The last encounter between Celtic and Rangers ended with an old-fashioned scuffle between opposing skippers and fellow Lanarkshire lads Stephen McManus and Barry Ferguson.

As the pair were separated, two more Scotland internationals, Gary Caldwell and David Weir, became embroiled in a struggle that led to the defenders receiving one-match bans.

The confrontations followed a 2-1 victory for Celtic that rekindled the Clydesdale Bank Premier League title race and the bitter rivalry between the Glasgow sides.

Less than two weeks after the Parkhead clash that also had a missed penalty, red card and injury-time winner by Vennegoor of Hesselink, the pair meet again in the east end in a match that Celtic must win to keep their championship hopes alive.

And the bad feeling between the teams has been intensified by the controversy over Rangers' fixture backlog, with Ibrox manager Walter Smith hitting out at Celtic chief executive Peter Lawwell for complaining about a possible extension to the season.

"When I first came here three years ago it seemed the game had got sanitised,'' Strachan said.

"It has gone more retro and gone back to the 1980s. There are more local lads playing now and that's added more tension.

"You will always find some people happy with the sanitisation of the game and others want more violence. There is always someone complaining about something.''

Rangers Ferguson returns from a one-match ban at Parkhead.

Midfielder Kevin Thomson and defender Carlos Cuellar are both suspended and Christian Dailly is set to replace the Spaniard alongside Weir in central defence.

Goalkeeper Allan McGregor (ankle), Lee McCulloch (foot), Charlie Adam (knee), Steven Naismith (knee) and Chris Burke (ankle) are all out injured.

Smith, meanwhile, admits Scottish football's reluctance to help alleviate the Ibrox side's congested fixture list has left him "frustrated''.

The Clydesdale Bank Premier League season will be extended if the Light Blues reach the final of the UEFA Cup due to be be played in Manchester on May 14.

Lawwell, whose club is vying with Rangers for the title, claimed an extension would bring in to question the "integrity'' of the SPL while his Ibrox counterpart Martin Bain complained that not enough had been done to help the Govan club.

However, regardless of how Rangers fare in the second leg of their semi-final against Fiorentina in Florence next week - which is in the balance after the goalless draw at Ibrox on Thursday night - Smith's side will still be expected to play four SPL games in eight days.

The former Scotland boss, who takes his side to Parkhead on Sunday, believes his club could have been given more backing.

"Of course there is a little bit of frustration there, I don't think there is any doubt about that,'' Smith said.

"But from a footballing perspective, we can't get caught up in that too much.

"That's the decision that's been made and from the point of view of the management and players, we have to play the games.

"But obviously from a club point of view, there is a little bit of disappointment that there wasn't a bit of leeway given to us in that situation.

"We are left with the situation where we have to play four games in eight days at one stage, regardless of whether we reach the UEFA Cup final or not.

"It's a little bit disappointing that the league have decided to make a team play four times but there's not a great deal we can do with it.

"But we have got to get on with it, there is no point in dwelling on it.

"I don't think the players need anything else to motivate them. The motivation to win is enough and hopefully that

question for those living here, how will be able to watch the final?

none of the games have been shown and i have just checked the ubc magazine for the 15 may, no match details.

would like to know what channel/station will be showing the final, even if it means flying to singapore or hong kong, it sure beats flying emirates to manchester to sup joe holts in a bar while watching the game.

three cheers for the red white and blue.

well done the Gers (sh1t that Hurt!!)

:o I'm hearing ye'.

I've been contemplating congratulating rangers but I know it's just wrong. :D

Luckily I'm living in Thailand at the moment, so I'll manage to avoid the Daily Record hype and bumping into 'loyal Rangers' :D supporters in the boozer who will no doubt be telling everyone that Rangers are the greatest team in the history of the world. :D

Anyway, from the safety of my armchair in Bangkok, I'd like to wish Rangers all the best in Manchester. Good luck!! :D

Edited by Spit the Dog

Come on the Gers. fuc_king magic. Got up at 4.30am when i was up the coast on holiday. Must have woke a few people up in the hotel where i was staying. Come on! Can we still dream??