1 Year Extension For Under 50 Year Olds Supporting A Thai National

can some please confirm the part in Bold shown below, which Ive been reading from ...

http://www.pattayaexpatsclub.com/visainformation.htm

ONE YEAR 'EXTENSION' FOR A NON-IMMIGRANT 'O' VISA.

When in possession of an 'O' visa (either single entry, or multiple), if over 50 years of age, or legally supporting a Thai national, obtaining a '1-year' extension (officially classified a retirement extension, or spousal extension) is fairly straightforward and can be obtained locally at the Immigration Office for 1900 baht. This is where the 'money in the bank' part raises it's ugly head. In order to qualify for a 1yr 'extension' for retirement purposes, you will need to show an official Bank letter confirming a Thai bank statement in the amount of at least 800,000 baht. You may be required to show confirmation from your Embassy as to your 'Wish to retire in Thailand', and (very occasionally) a recent, local, medical certificate from a government approved medical facility. This minimum Bank balance will need to be shown for 3 months prior to the extension being granted. (The medical certificate is largely redundant now and only required if you are deemed to be 'very sick')

The first time you get this type of 'extension' your current 'permission to enter stamp' for 90-days will be extended by 12 months. Thereafter, renewal is again for 1 complete year periods. Although an application for this type of extension may be problematic the first time (proving your qualification), upon expiry a repeat extension for one year at a time will be granted to this group of people as long as they continue to meet the requirements as earlier stated, but is at the discretion of the immigration department. Each further extension currently costs 1900 baht/year (December 2007), provided you continue to qualify, without the need to depart from Thailand at any time.

Financial requirements for issue of a 1 year extension for under 50 year olds supporting a Thai national (by marriage, maybe) is by proven combined income for husband & wife of 45,000 baht per month (proven by tax returns showing salary) + 400,000 baht in a Thai bank.

We advise nationals over 50 years to choose the 'Retirement' option whether married or not, as it is much simpler to qualify.

Application for a retirement visa, using income as a financial support, will require the following. Notarising (by your Embassy) of the original proof of income documents + a notarised letter stating income qualification.

Thanks...

It is only to support a wife, not children anymore. It used to be 40K/month or 400K in the bank. The 400K baht option was dropped. Now it is only 40K baht/month family income. Income from within Thailand needs tax documents, outside needs a letter from your embassy certifying the income.

You can still get an extension based on having a Thai child, but you need to be over 50 to do it and generally there is no financial requirement for it.

Edited by jstumbo

can some please confirm the part in Bold shown below, which Ive been reading from ...

http://www.pattayaexpatsclub.com/visainformation.htm

ONE YEAR 'EXTENSION' FOR A NON-IMMIGRANT 'O' VISA.

When in possession of an 'O' visa (either single entry, or multiple), if over 50 years of age, or legally supporting a Thai national, obtaining a '1-year' extension (officially classified a retirement extension, or spousal extension) is fairly straightforward and can be obtained locally at the Immigration Office for 1900 baht. This is where the 'money in the bank' part raises it's ugly head. In order to qualify for a 1yr 'extension' for retirement purposes, you will need to show an official Bank letter confirming a Thai bank statement in the amount of at least 800,000 baht. You may be required to show confirmation from your Embassy as to your 'Wish to retire in Thailand', and (very occasionally) a recent, local, medical certificate from a government approved medical facility. This minimum Bank balance will need to be shown for 3 months prior to the extension being granted. (The medical certificate is largely redundant now and only required if you are deemed to be 'very sick')

The first time you get this type of 'extension' your current 'permission to enter stamp' for 90-days will be extended by 12 months. Thereafter, renewal is again for 1 complete year periods. Although an application for this type of extension may be problematic the first time (proving your qualification), upon expiry a repeat extension for one year at a time will be granted to this group of people as long as they continue to meet the requirements as earlier stated, but is at the discretion of the immigration department. Each further extension currently costs 1900 baht/year (December 2007), provided you continue to qualify, without the need to depart from Thailand at any time.

Financial requirements for issue of a 1 year extension for under 50 year olds supporting a Thai national (by marriage, maybe) is by proven combined income for husband & wife of 45,000 baht per month (proven by tax returns showing salary) + 400,000 baht in a Thai bank.

We advise nationals over 50 years to choose the 'Retirement' option whether married or not, as it is much simpler to qualify.

Application for a retirement visa, using income as a financial support, will require the following. Notarising (by your Embassy) of the original proof of income documents + a notarised letter stating income qualification.

Thanks...

Please, can anybody tell me why over 50 marrieds should op for the retirement option.

Easier to qualify, so you say, but 45000 Baht per month is MUCH easier as 800,000 Baht in the bank, or the income of 65,000 or 80,000 Baht per month income.

The retirement option was advised to me by the Nong Khai immigration police.

I opted for the option, however I qualified for both options.

So what is the reason?

Permit me to be a little bit suspicious of these "good" tidings, brought to you by the authorities.

Maybe something up the sleeves?

Although, this bad thought is of course, nonsense.

However, I did receive a 90 days extension AND a year extenson, so 15 months in one go!

My wife asked if I had to report every 90 days, and the answer was NO.

Any comments on this?

And a re-entry permit

However, I did receive a 90 days extension AND a year extenson, so 15 months in one go!

Any comments on this?

Everyone has to report if they stay more than 90 days without leaving the country. No visa or extension is exempt from this.

However, I did receive a 90 days extension AND a year extenson, so 15 months in one go!...

The “90 days extension” does not make sense. What exactly are you talking about here?

--

Maestro

Any comments on this?

Everyone has to report if they stay more than 90 days without leaving the country. No visa or extension is exempt from this.

Correct. :o

However, I did receive a 90 days extension AND a year extenson, so 15 months in one go!...

The “90 days extension” does not make sense. What exactly are you talking about here?

--

Maestro

Yes. Confusing.

Yes you do have to report every 90 days

Nong Kai Immigration will push you towards the Retirement option as it means a lot less work for them.

The OP is old/false/outdated. There is no support Thai visa option and has not been one for over a year. The new requirement for those married is "family" extension and that requires 40k monthly combined income and has nothing to do with being under or over age 50.

Over age 50 (with Thai child) you have a children living with parent option with no financial required.

Over age 50 you have the long stay (retirement) extension available at 800k/65k/combined (with or without wife).

--

Maestro

I had a year visa from the consulate, had to go back to Holland in a hurry because of the death of my mother, came back and got myself a 30 day stamp because the consulate visa expired, as advised by immigration at Suvarnibhumi.

Then to Nong Khai, got myself a 90 day extension of stay and a consecutive extension of stay for a year, so together 15 months.

After all the advises about the 90 day TM47 thing, my wife called the same officer in Nong Khai, and he repeated that I did not have to send in the TM47 every 90 days, nor come over to the office.

But, I think I will send in the TM47 anyway.

Better certain than uncertain, being a guest of this country.

I suspect you obtained a non immigrant single entry visa stay for 90 days from them (cost 2,000 baht) while you had 21 days or more remaining on the 30 day visa exempt entry. You then obtained a one year extension of stay (cost 1,900 baht).

I suspect you obtained a non immigrant single entry visa stay for 90 days from them (cost 2,000 baht) while you had 21 days or more remaining on the 30 day visa exempt entry. You then obtained a one year extension of stay (cost 1,900 baht).

Correct, I paid indeed 3900 baht.

But there still remains the question about the 90 day rule.

Conflicting, and not very clear.

On the one hand Nong Khai says no, no need!

On the other hand I am a little careful.

So I will do it by mail.

Thanks

What do you need 400,000 Baht for?

It is not the expiration date of your visa that matters, but the expiration of your permission to stay – the “until date” on your entry stamp. Not later than on that date you should leave Thailand as otherwise you will be on overstay.

Of course you are free to travel to Thailand again afterwards at any time, even on the same day that you left.

--

Maestro

400K baht option is only for people that were grandfathered into this extension. It is not any longer valid for new people. You would need to have a family income of 40K/month in order to get an extension. If you cannot meet this requirement then you would probably need to apply for a multi entry O visa and make 90 days border runs.

You could look into other options, like learning Thai at a language school and getting an ED visa.

i have one year visa support thai wife , the visa finish on 21/6 !!!

So it seems you already had a marriage extension based on 400k in the bank before the new rules took effect in October 2006 and could continue annual extensions on this basis if you had 400k in the bank between now and 21 June, the required 3 months before the new application for extension. Your predicament is tough, because it means that you might lose your “grandfather” status.

Even if you can meet the alternative requirement of minimum family income of 40k per month at this time it is uncertain if you could later return to extensions based on 400k in the bank. Shortly after the change in the rules Sunbelt posted that it would be possible, but I have not seen this tested in actual practice.

If you cannot meet either requirement this time, your best option would probably be to apply for a multiple-entry non-O visa for the purpose of visiting family at the Thai consulate in Kuala Lumpur or Penang, showing your bank book with whatever balance you have in the account.

--

Maestro

extension on 40K baht/month family income , my wife income

If the income is earned in Thailand then you will need to have tax reciepts to show that taxes were paid on it. Income from outside of Thailand needs to have an embassy letter certifying the income.

And you could always go get a new visa.

Is it really that simple? My Non-O expires in mid May, and I'd rather just get a new visa than dealing with the paperwork involved in an extension---specifically, tax issues on my wife's income, and I don't know what's required for my embassy to sign off on my out of country income. I'm under 50 and we don't have kids, so those options are available.

If I could just go to KL or Singapore with the paperwork I used for my first application for the marriage NON O, I think it would be so much easier than the alternative.

Can anyone confirm that this is 1.) possible and 2.) not exceedingly cumbersome?

Thanks.

And you could always go get a new visa.

Is it really that simple? My Non-O expires in mid May, and I'd rather just get a new visa than dealing with the paperwork involved in an extension---specifically, tax issues on my wife's income, and I don't know what's required for my embassy to sign off on my out of country income. I'm under 50 and we don't have kids, so those options are available.

If I could just go to KL or Singapore with the paperwork I used for my first application for the marriage NON O, I think it would be so much easier than the alternative.

Can anyone confirm that this is 1.) possible and 2.) not exceedingly cumbersome?

Thanks.

Singapore will give a Multi Entry Non O if you have 400,000 Baht in a bank somewhere.

When you get a new visa, the best you would do would be a multi non-O visa. You would have to make 90 day border runs though. In order to not have border runs, you would need an extension. But if you can not qualify financially, then at least you should be able to stay using visa/border runs.

Singapore will give a Multi Entry Non O if you have 400,000 Baht in a bank somewhere

i find all this visa information quite confusing, but doesn't this ^ contradict the information given on the previous page of this thread?

When you get a new visa, the best you would do would be a multi non-O visa. You would have to make 90 day border runs though. In order to not have border runs, you would need an extension.

thanks, but my question was whether i could just go an apply for another (new) NON-O. btw, what i have now is multi-entry, and will apply for the same if permissible.

:o