Tourist Visa, Border Hopping

I have done it many times before securing my employment visa in LOS. Im a dual cit. and used to depart LOS on the one I came in with, fly to HK on passport 2 and re-enter on #2 for another 90 days. No questions asked.

I just did what all of you are discussing.....

Flew out on one passport at the end of a Tourist Visa. Changed passports when landing in Macau. Macau immigration official did some serious head scratching and asked where the exit stamp from Bangkok was (went though every passport page in second passport). He knew we came from Bangkok as our immigration paperwork said Bangkok and the flight number. Once second passport was shown, the guy let a sigh of relief and then just needed to tell him to stamp entry into the second passport. That was it, no more questions, from tourist visa to entry back into LOS.

For the record, I would never cheat, lie (etc) the immigration of any country, and since it is easy to stay in Thailand indifinetely with a tourist visa (on

#7 now), might as well just learn to play by the rules.

This is one of the many reasons why Thai Immigration are now enforcing, and changing the rules with regards to Toursts! You would be extremely foolish to think you can continue abusing the system in this way, they know all the tricks in the trade, its just that they don't have the infastructure or recources to combat it. You are also going to make it more difficult for genuine tourists visiting Thailand, and they will be treated unfairly.

For the record I am long-term expatriate in Thailand and get annoyed when I see rubbish like this posted! If this message upsets some people then I think its about time that we had seperate forums, expatriates, tourists, and overstays, instead of tourists hijacking the forum all the time posting from their armchairs in England and other countries on domestic and current affairs in Thailand that really don't effect them on a daily basis like us genuine expatriates.

I've just thought of a flaw in my plan. See No 4.

1. In BKK, book and pay for tickets with passport 1 details

2. Exit BKK on passport 1

3. Enter SIN (or wherever) on passport 2

.....OK, sweet, so far....

4. On checking in at SIN (to return to BKK), your ticket will show that you booked under passport 1, yet your SIN entry stamp is in passport 2

5. Return to BKK using passport 2

Any comments?

Sorry, Sir. But i've never seen any passport-information on any ticket! And the name on the ticket has to match the passport shown at the check-in anyway...

There computer is indexed on name, country, and birthdate from what I hear. So if it is just two passports from the same country, they would probably pick it up. If it is from two different countries, maybe not.

I have been doing this with 2 passports from the same country for years and nothing has ever been 'picked up'.

This is one of the many reasons why Thai Immigration are now enforcing, and changing the rules with regards to Toursts! You would be extremely foolish to think you can continue abusing the system in this way, they know all the tricks in the trade, its just that they don't have the infastructure or recources to combat it. You are also going to make it more difficult for genuine tourists visiting Thailand, and they will be treated unfairly.

For the record I am long-term expatriate in Thailand and get annoyed when I see rubbish like this posted! If this message upsets some people then I think its about time that we had seperate forums, expatriates, tourists, and overstays, instead of tourists hijacking the forum all the time posting from their armchairs in England and other countries on domestic and current affairs in Thailand that really don't effect them on a daily basis like us genuine expatriates.

Who is 'abusing the system' here?

If I am legally entitled by nationality to have 2 passports and some countries don't have robust enough computer systems to address the fact that I can legally hold 2 passports and can legally use either of them to enter, where's the abuse?

I've just thought of a flaw in my plan. See No 4.

1. In BKK, book and pay for tickets with passport 1 details

2. Exit BKK on passport 1

3. Enter SIN (or wherever) on passport 2

.....OK, sweet, so far....

4. On checking in at SIN (to return to BKK), your ticket will show that you booked under passport 1, yet your SIN entry stamp is in passport 2

5. Return to BKK using passport 2

Any comments?

Sorry, Sir. But i've never seen any passport-information on any ticket! And the name on the ticket has to match the passport shown at the check-in anyway...

The last time I was called 'sir' was by the police!!! :D

Anyway, surely both your passports have the same name (ie yours :o )

When you fly by air, they do not care if you change passports. People do this all the time.

Sweet...if only we could do it by land as easily. :o

As a Citizen of 2 countries you are entitled to enter ANY country as a citizen of any country you are a citizen of. You MUST exit the country as a citizen of the country you entered as.

There is no requirement for an exit stamp from any country to enter another country. Land crossings all have a DMZ or nomans land (Internaltional Zones) where you can change passports.

Flew out on one passport at the end of a Tourist Visa. Changed passports when landing in Macau. Macau immigration official did some serious head scratching and asked where the exit stamp from Bangkok was (went though every passport page in second passport). He knew we came from Bangkok as our immigration paperwork said Bangkok and the flight number. Once second passport was shown, the guy let a sigh of relief and then just needed to tell him to stamp entry into the second passport. That was it, no more questions, from tourist visa to entry back into LOS.

For the record, I would never cheat, lie (etc) the immigration of any country, and since it is easy to stay in Thailand indifinetely with a tourist visa (on

Up your self much ??

Border hopping as people call it is ok the problem is getting the second passport is the problem they are only issued on applications by the IPA that meet a certain criteria and i do not think fooling thai immigration so you can stay in Thailand is one of them.

While I typically do not respond to 'Thaivisa finger pointing', I will defend my position with this one post only. Please note:

first, I post the information, so it can be useful to other people, as it was EXTREMELY helpful to me when I entered the country

second, I am in a unique position where I am unable to get a visa unless I get married, perhaps .5% of all other people on this forum share my situation, so be careful as you may break your back when you fall off your high horse...

third, I break no laws, I follow the law 100%, including going to immigration if I have questions.

fourth, on my tourist visas, I have been to Singapore, Hong Kong (twice), Shanghai, Penang, home country. This obviously shows I have money and would like to stay in Thailand and spend my vacation time in LOS, however, every 90 days I leave to get a visa instead. Instead of complaining about the system, I have to live in the system, as i am a guest in their country, so I abide by their rules, thankfully.

fifth, I live in Thailand, pay for items in Thailand and support the economy in Thailand. I have never asked for the VAT refund for the many items I buy in Thailand (easily over xxx,xxx baht), as I am not trying to cheat the system.

Thank you and please reply as you will, however, regarding finger pointing and flaming attempts, I will not respond.

Respectfully....

• 3 months later...

Who is 'abusing the system' here?

If I am legally entitled by nationality to have 2 passports and some countries don't have robust enough computer systems to address the fact that I can legally hold 2 passports and can legally use either of them to enter, where's the abuse?

Although I have no problem personally with playing the Thai system, I suppose the technical answer is that the 90 day rule applies to each "Person", not to each passport, therefore using 2 passports to gain 180 days is technically an abuse of Thai regulations and would be subject to penalty if the Thai system were enforced efficiently.