Software Warranty

Yorkie

When I buy a new car, the manufacturer guarantees that it is free from defects (fit for purpose). If it transpires that there is an inherent defect in the vehicle, the manufacturers are normally required by law to either fix the defect or replace the vehicle free of charge.

When I buy software (specifically Microsoft products), there doesn't appear to be any such warranty. If there is an inherent defect (bug) then the manufacturer may correct the problem in the next version (also updated, usually with new bugs) and charge full price for the product.

In the UK we have a "trade descriptions act". Is computer software exempt from the act?

Rant over. Off t'pub.

When I buy a new car, the manufacturer guarantees that it is free from defects (fit for purpose). If it transpires that there is an inherent defect in the vehicle, the manufacturers are normally required by law to either fix the defect or replace the vehicle free of charge.

When I buy software (specifically Microsoft products), there doesn't appear to be any such warranty. If there is an inherent defect (bug) then the manufacturer may correct the problem in the next version (also updated, usually with new bugs) and charge full price for the product.

In the UK we have a "trade descriptions act". Is computer software exempt from the act?

Rant over. Off t'pub.

Ownership/licencing issues aside, the short answer to your question is ''No'' (it's not exempt from what I guess you're thinking of, i.e. the Sale of Goods Act). Check out http://www.berr.gov.uk/consumers/fact-sheets/page38311.html.

BTW, is this Thai-related in any way?

Even consumer specified Software has a maximum of 90 days warranty if any!

Cheers.

Do you mean in Thailand? I wasn't aware of that. It is certainly not the case in the UK. Nor Europe (EU, anyway), I believe. Certainly not in the US either (down to the contract for bespoke s/w, anyway. I'm not sure about off the shelf).