Moving To Issan Preparation

Zeid

well, i bet there where tonnes and tonnes of e-mails regarding this issue,

but i am planning to move permanently to Nong Bua in 4-5 years time, i know it is early, but wanted to share my plans and get input from the ex pats already there living for many years, and also get new advice.

I already have 5 rai, Planing to buy 14 more within 12 months. and should i find a good price land will go for 50rai and up, for both as future kids investments as well as farming.

in those 4-5 years i am planing to have had the house built the land ready for a project, (sheds, ponds, irrigation channels if needed)

the daughter will be 4-5 years by then as well.

my plan since i am not there at this moment to plant eucalyptus trees (afraid that it will kill the land even though i have been told the new kind does not have strong roots) so that by the time we move there those 15-rai trees will be sold and will have enough money to start something over there.( do not get me wrong i do still plan to get some cash with me :o )

my thoughts go as follows for project is,

Fish Ponds,

Chickens,

and what i am mostly interested in is chilli peppers.

anyway should anyone have input that will greatly be appreciated. even though it is early i though if i build the correct infrustructure now when i go back i will need not to worry about eating up my cash with no revenue for setting up a project.

Zeid, i would think you are on the right track with the Euco trees, they are a low-maintainence crop, just need to keep the weeds down ect, bit of fertilizer and so on, the other items you mentioned , fish ponds, chickens, chillies are very much more intensive farming than trees, I think ive seen you post on the farming forum before? There is a very good topic about chicken farming at the moment, always fish ect, chillies are more of a local thing so not much about them, if you do post there, with questions, in your case, water availabillity and quantity would be an important issue for the full-time farmers to help you, Good Luck Zeid, Lickey..

.....I thought I had bought a nice plot with an ample garden and adequate privacy so built house on,......unfortuneately the neighbours cut the stilts of their wooden Thai style house ,....put it on wheels ,....then moved it ,...so it was towering above our (my wifes) bungalow,....just thought you might want to know.... :o

Thank you all for the input it is always nice to hear ideas it helps in setting up,

the water level, and type of water will soon be availbale i have it in mind to be tested as well as the soil.

as for nationalities by then my wife and daughter should have Thai, Canadian and Jordanian.

now the land next to us is my sister-in-law land she is currently in Germany and did two big ponds, as the one in front of us i just bought on the other side, we agreed on the price and will buy, and the one behind us is also on the same plan, there for the privacy thing i think i have covered.

still looking for that 50 rai though.

i agree fish and chicken farming is work intense, but i plan to make that my living and hense will not mind the hard work, as i hope it will provide good income for my daughter education. as well as some cash to head home every couple of years for a month or so.

now one of the ten rais that will acquire is rice farming, should i place Euco trees will that land be able to convert back to a rice paddies in the future? as i think even as a falang we should keep the rice farming industry going and it looks great when it is all green, and then yellow, as well as you get the shrimps and small fish, can use it for corn, and other thingies.

just saw goats for sale, i do very good white goat cheese. :o

Edited by Zeid

With the Euca trees try to plant say 4000 1st year, then so many every year after, say another 4000 , untill the 1st crop is harvested in 5 years time, you will then have a rotation in crop and have money coming in every year. then after harvesting re plant.

Also nice part of the world Non Bua, have a few mates up there.

Edited by Thaicoon

.....I thought I had bought a nice plot with an ample garden and adequate privacy so built house on,......unfortuneately the neighbours cut the stilts of their wooden Thai style house ,....put it on wheels ,....then moved it ,...so it was towering above our (my wifes) bungalow,....just thought you might want to know.... :D

:o:D:D:D:D:D

.....I thought I had bought a nice plot with an ample garden and adequate privacy so built house on,......unfortuneately the neighbours cut the stilts of their wooden Thai style house ,....put it on wheels ,....then moved it ,...so it was towering above our (my wifes) bungalow,....just thought you might want to know.... :D

:o:D:D:D:D:D

don't look so sad blue eyes,I now have a beautiful house in U.K. and my wifes elderly parents have a bit of comfort in their old age which they deserve.

.....I had a few great years in Issaan but for newbies I'd recommend living there for a while first before committing any great sum of money,....or at least start with a small "baan" then expanding but if youv'e got the cash its entirely up to you....theres always the balcony option if it fails.....

Edited by dee123

Lets see we are buying in next to the inlaws and want to buy some more. My recommendation is to read more in this forum, before you go any further.

Making a living in Thailand farming, do some more research, keeping active in the retirement yes, making money to support yourself I don't think so.

Recently I thought of renting some land, pay for the rice and plit the proceeds with the workers. What did that translate to Thai's I was going to give the rice to the village. Be careful things are just not the same here. Doesn't matter if you wealthy or not everyone believes you are and therefore have no needs.

A friend did an excellent fish farm, his problem his wife keeps trying to give the fish away. Good for face and Karma.

Can't tell you how many times I have heard form guys working overseas jobs trying to build a future for retirement, complaing that they are supporting 50 people and can't get ahead. When in fact they are making fortunes year after year here.

Ever been divorced, what makes you think that can't happen to you here. You can get leases to protect yourself somewhat. But if the property is in the wifs area. Do yuo really think you will be welcome in tha area if there is a divorce? I don't ever remember getting married with the intent to divorce but it happens.

Research is not costly, but be careful how you plan your dream it could be wonderful, but it could be a nightmare as well.

How to plan to live in Issan, never bring anything here you can not afford to loose.

How to plan to live in Issan, never bring anything here you can not afford to loose.

excellent advise ........ but I would add ........ Never buy 2 of anything if you can make do with one. You will still have to go and buy another in a couple of weeks, as your "Spare" will be seen as not being used = not needed = can be given away or just taken without your knowledge.

I've lost count of the times that I search for something, can't find it, and eventually get told "oh yes mum took that, or old brother mum took that, or I gave that to my sister"

This applies to almost anything from toilet rolls, kitchen towels, bed linen, furniture, tools, clothes and food.

I went to do a batch of cooking yesterday to re-stock my freezer, only to find that I had 4 small potatoes left out of the 3 kilo that I purchased last week.

It might be good karma, but it's doing the farang bit of my head in at times!!

Edited by stattointhailand

hey zeid,

there was a whole bit once about goats and cheese in issaan in the farming forum and here in this forum.

up to two months ago i was doing goats and the 'halumi' white cheese...and 'labane'... but here in israel, not issan. but again, my thai husband wont touch anything with milk in it with a ten foot pole..so i gave it to the neighbhors all the time.

while visiting with husband at his family in korat, i did go see someone's goat farm but they were packing it up due to too many problems with the goats.... so search for the 'goat' threads with my name... there is someone on this forum doing goat cheeses i think farther south, try searching...

as for goat meat, except for muslim thai, they dont seem to like it too much; husband has learned to eat it here, since for parties and such, lamb/kid is slaughtered but is was an aquired taste for him....

go to farming forum here , lots of good advice on fish and veggies (several long running threads with professional advice)

bina

israel

editing for clarity

Edited by bina

well the goat cheese was not as to start a business, but for me and the family, i come from across the border bina :o

and labaneh we usually do from cow milk, actually guys for anyone who wants to try it, get some plain yoghurt, put some salt on it then hang it in a pillow case in the shade, some where once all the water is drained out you can eat it with bread, or get some mushroom or onion instant soups such as knor or maggie mix them together and you have a great chips/veg dip to have while drinking :D

as for the previous posts, thanks for the replies, it really gives me an insight, just as an update 4 rai have already been planted with euco trees, the 5th is planted with watermelon,

the land i am buying is not next to the in-laws, but one sister in law living in Germany has the land next to us.

as for the family over the past 4 years i have programmed the people around me i only pay for what i want when i want. and they learned that when this happens i am usually generous, and must also give them credit they have never asked me for anything.

i like to do good deeds, but my wife knows the difference now between doing god and depleting resources :D

i dont tend to bother with borders on the forum... :o) , or here for that matter :D)

there is a guy named 'goatfarmer' in the farming thread who is now selling milk goats that are vaccinated and well taken care of; he is a breeder/cheesemaker.... he has a web site also....

he is also selling kids (baby goats) at the moment as well... so u might want to take a look. he is in pattaya maybe? anyway,

go to the farming thread and look for his post... it may be worth your while as he seems to have put in a lot of effort ; thai baladi goats are small and not great milkers i think but i think he may have worked on improving so now has real milkers...

the name of his site: Lulu and Daisy Dairy Goat Farm; its in thai as well...

i do a good labane with a mix of goat and cow milk (i dont drink any milk really but prefer goat if i have to); i do the white halumi with lemon or vinegar and then strain and press; then i put zaatar on it and cover with olive oil.....

white cheeses i dont do as i dont bother with the enzymes, too lazy for me...

bina

israel

yes i have seen his website and his post but still to early to buy some.

by they way do you guys eat mansaf?(you know what mansaf is)

the goats next to jerhico(khalil) usually graze of a plant we call sheeh and it is very good for stomach aches and bloating. there for the dairy products from the souther part, are better because they have this little btterness but after a big heavy meal it does not bloat you.