I Really Like Bananas But.....

Crossy

what do I do with all the spares?

Wasn't sure which food forum to put this in, but since the wifey is Thai let's have some Western ideas as to what I can do with the sudden glut of bananas that will be ready in a couple of weeks (according to Mr See our gardener). We put them in to provide stabilisation to the khlong banks, this they seem to have done well and provided screening too, but there is a by-product, lots of bananas :D

We have at least three sizes (if that matters) from the big 'farang' bananas to the tiny, sweet, delicious 'Thai' ones, I'll never eat them all :o

We'll give a lot to the neighbours who have a fruit stall, they can sell them for a few Baht, help feed the kids.

Ideas, recipes, whatever :D

Edited by Crossy

My wife's been buying a lot of bananas lately, for unknown reasons - so there are always a few left which are about to go brown. She's taken to peeling them and sticking them in the freezer - because she knows I like frozen bananas which make a pretty good replacement for ice cream.

sell some to me :o

I was just fantasizing of having a banana and chocolate fondue...and for the large bananas you can make a slice down the middle, fill with chopped up snickers bars and then wrap in foil and stick on the grill or BBQ.

mmmmm :D

my wife thinly slices them and sun dries them,turns them into lovely crunchy chips or crisps ,then puts them in air tight jar, tins dont work the crisps go soggy, or she pulps them and mixes with coconut milk and deep freezes the mixture, it makes a very tasty sweet for the rugrats,when mixed with vodka or white rum it also makes a nice refreshing long drink, and last but not least her (guaranteed to put weight on :D )banana scones,, and maltybanana and macadamia bread, which sadly I am allowed to look at but not touch :o Nignoy

• 1 month later...

I peel my old bananas and put them in 3 to a bag, then throw them in the freezer. They are great for making banana muffins, or banana bread. (defrost them first, ofcourse!!)

You can even throw them in the blender (still frozen) to add flavor to your smoothies with the other fruit. Or add to icecream and blend with a squirt of chocolate for a banana/chocolate milkshake! (yummy)

Edited by brandie