Dramatic Cut In Visa Extensions

Thai Immigration: Dramatic Cut in Visa Extensions

Immigration now give only a 7 or 14 days extension to the 60 days tourist visa

Most Immigration Districts now only give 7 days extensions (fee: THB 1.900,00) on tourist visas. Others, like Nong Khai, only 14 days. Some few might still give 30 days, it's up to the single district to decide, but we don't have knowledge of any doing it.

Source: Thai Immigration, Nong Khai 2004-09-30

Edited by george

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you are hoist on your own petard.

Tourist visa's are not intended for long-timers!!

They are intended for tourists, and the immigration has been quite tolerant of the over use of these visas.

Look at Nepal, by comparison. 6 months as a tourist in one year, and that is it.

I think you are hoist on your own petard.

They are intended for tourists, and the immigration has been quite tolerant of the over use of these visas.

Look at Nepal, by comparison. 6 months as a tourist in one year, and that is it.

I am told that Immigration is encouraging people to get a proper visa at home before they leave. The extension process is causing them hassles.

I know many people who spend 6 months in a row and more every year in Thailand, going back to their home countries for the next six months, and so on...

It happened to me in a neighbouring country in 2002 that my tourist visa application was refused, because I had already three tourist visas in my passport (from 1999, 2000 and 2001)! And I was for several months in Europe in 2002, before applying for a new tourist visa over here in Asia.

I was given to understand that a Non-Immigrant B- Visa is no longer issued by Singapore.................just in case anyone is thinking of going

Singles are okay as far as I know from Singapore?

I agree with Lop, I think Imm are referring to extending a 30 day stamp in, rather than a 'proper' tourist Visa. I've had zero reports of people only getting 7-14 days worth of extension on a 60 day tourist Visa (surely they'd need to change all the Consulate/Embassy info etc. before they could do this....well TiT I suppose).

Edited by kenkannif

I was given to understand that a Non-Immigrant B- Visa is no longer issued by Singapore.................just in case anyone is thinking of going

I agree with Lop, I think Imm are referring to extending a 30 day stamp in, rather than a 'proper' tourist Visa. I've had zero reports of people only getting 7-14 days worth of extension on a 60 day tourist Visa (surely they'd need to change all the Consulate/Embassy info etc. before they could do this....well TiT I suppose).

I am told that the actual extension regulation leaves it to the officer's discretion but provides for the maximum number of days only.

I'd agree with that. But surely if they start issuing only 7-14 day extensions, people are going to be complaining as Consulates/Embassies generally tell you the Visa is good for 90 days? So surely some mention would have to be made of the fact that a 30 day extension isn't guaranteed, but rather it's down to the individual officers discretion?

I'd agree with that. But surely if they start issuing only 7-14 day extensions, people are going to be complaining as Consulates/Embassies generally tell you the Visa is good for 90 days? So surely some mention would have to be made of the fact that a 30 day extension isn't guaranteed, but rather it's down to the individual officers discretion?

TiT..reading between the lines i see 'T' money.

Yes I understand the T money side of things. But if you've just got what you thought was a 90 day tourist Visa and all they keep giving people is 7-14 days, then people will start to complain to the Consulates/Embassies I'd have thought, and info on their website, or that they're giving should be changed/corrected? Yes, TiT, but even here there's a limit! I know people getting extensions in most areas of Thailand and I've not heard of any problems in getting a 30 day extension on a 60 day tourist Visa. Again as Lop said I think it applies to the 30 day stamp in, not the 60 day tourist Visa!

:D Ok today I applied for my 60 day visa in NEW ZEALAND to go back to the LOS 4th Nov. The last time I was there was this year for 3 months I left 30th June. Nothing was said to me today when I said I would go to the BKK immigration, just before the 60 days are up for another 30 days stay. I also re enquired the cost of it, the 30 days extention. I was told 1900 baht. You would think they would tell you some thing after asking to see the day you will return on your air ticket? :o I would be a bit pissed off to pay 1900 baht for just 7 days, then have to phone around to get back on a airplain early for NZ. :D After paying for another one months rent in the appartment block.

Just in Singapore now and the only Non-B they will issue is a single entry 3 month visa...

Yeah but George, I've seen them get the wrong end of the stick on that website before, and I reckon they have this time as well. In fact I bet (sportman's that is) this is incorrect info from them again!

thaiimmigration.com is an official Thai Immigration Police website according to Immigration HQ.

As from when?

I have not sent anyone there in September, but we had three successfully processed in August - now all my guys have work permits.

My only hassle is with matching up dates, getting them to leave their WP behind when they go on leave, so on.

I understand that the Nong Khai web-site is run by Danish or Dutch people, with a lot of helpful comments from the Thai Immi. people up there. But as that is only one office, the rules may very well be different in other parts of the country.

All Thai Immi. Police Officers appear to have wide discretionary powers on saying yes / no to renewals. Yer pays yer money and takes yer chances. :o

Before we panic believe this probably applies to entry without visa rather than a tourist visa. :o

No, this is regarding extension of the 60 days tourist visa. Here is the info from Thai Immigration:

http://www.thaiimmigration.com/inv/index.php?showtopic=126

I believe it was a misunderstanding and information for extension of stay when no visa is presented was provided. I tried to question it earlier but my post is not displayed. They mentioned updating forum so expect that is in progress.

:o ALL I HEAR IN THE ADVICE SECTION'S IS MOSTLY HEAR-SAY WHY NOT JUST GET THE PROPER VISA PIOR TO ARRIVAL. THE WIFE AND I APPLIED FOR AND RECEIVED A RETIREMENT (O) VISA WITH LITTLE OR NO PROBLEMS I HAVE MET FOLKS HERE IN THAILAND THAT HAVE BEEN HERE FOR YEARS AND STILL BITCHING ABOUT HAVING TO RUN THE BORDER, JUST DO IT RIGHT THE FRIST TIME...........HAVE A GREAT THAI DAY

Before we panic believe this probably applies to entry without visa rather than a tourist visa. :o

No, this is regarding extension of the 60 days tourist visa. Here is the info from Thai Immigration:

Come on George, it's been pointed out before that the thaiimmigration.com site isn't an official site. Plus it only applies to one of the upcountry immigration divisions and it's wrong more often than right.

If Thaivisa.com is going to send these posts as news can you please get confirmation from a second source first?

Before we panic believe this probably applies to entry without visa rather than a tourist visa. :D

Come on George, it's been pointed out before that the thaiimmigration.com site isn't an official site. Plus it only applies to one of the upcountry immigration divisions and it's wrong more often than right.

If Thaivisa.com is going to send these posts as news can you please get confirmation from a second source first?

What is on Thaiimmigration.com should be official but this post did not say 30 days would not be given and sometimes errors have been made in the past. I do believe they are giving the policy followed by Nong Khai (two weeks) but question them saying

Some few might still give 30 days, it's up to the single district to decide, but we don't have knowledge of any doing it.

It seems to have been routine to issue 30 days extension so don't understand how they can have no knowledge of it and this post makes no mention of any "change" to policy now in place.

But George may be reading the correct message between the lines. Would not want to place any bets. :o

it's been pointed out before that the thaiimmigration.com site isn't an official site. Plus it only applies to one of the upcountry immigration divisions and it's wrong more often than right.

The first post in this thread is talking about different Immigration offices handle cases different.

They are actually an official Immigration site:

http://www.whois.sc/thaiimmigration.com

domain: thaiimmigration.com

organization: NongKhai Immigration Thailand

owner: Sorrapol Payoongveeranoi

email:

address: NongKhai Immigration Office

city: NongKhai

postal-code: 43000

From what I understand, every country has been instruted to issue only SINGLE Non-Immigrant B for now as they have finally caught on that some folks use them "incorrectly" for other reasons or so...........

This was what I was told by my buddy that went to Sg, so dont slate me for it! :o

From what I understand, every country has been instruted to issue only SINGLE Non-Immigrant B for now as they have finally caught on that some folks use them "incorrectly" for other reasons or so...........

This was what I was told by my buddy that went to Sg, so dont slate me for it! :o

Every country in Asia methinks.

I don't think anyone was slating you mate!